Let's discuss it all. Welcome home.

Replies

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Ok friends, need some suggestions. I am hosting my book club on Thursday night and making an Italian themed dinner. For dessert, I think I'm going to go to the neighborhood gelateria and get an assortment of flavors. It's only 10 people, so we don't need a ton, and they sell pints as the largest size. They will have all the traditional flavors, but it does rotate daily.

I tend to gravitate toward salted caramel, and chocolate flavored gelatos. I will probably get Straciatella and Salted Caramel if they have them both. Any other suggestions on a fruitier flavor that is a tried and true? My kids always pick lemon gelato. I guess I could get that... I will probably get 4 pints total. I'm also going to either get Italian cookies/cannolis from the local bakery, or I may make Brown Butter Snickerdoodles (Acrylics!)

Now I'm excited to go gelato shopping!!!

Strawberry Tequila Sorbet was really good, so something along that line might be a nice contrast. Or a tropical fruit sorbet. The salted caramel will go first might want to get 2 of those.

Cannolis and Brown butter snickerdoodles :)

I don't know if they have more seasonal flavors, I haven't been in a while. I love coconut and mango together, but that seems pretty summery. Good point about needing two salted caramels. I do also have a couple of unopened pints of Talenti in my basement freezer, so I could always pull those out.

What time do we show up?

LOL. I'm pretty excited about my menu. I don't cook as much as I would like and book club gives me an opportunity to make things my family won't eat.

Antipasti Platter
    Proscuitto and Fontina Wrapped Chicken
    Parmesan Roasted Zucchini
    Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
    Bread with garlic herb butter
    Dessert
    Wine
    Wine
    Wine

:love:

I am not sure you answered Jen's question, which is my question, too - what time would you like us there? And I expect Jen will bring some sangria sorbet?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Ok friends, need some suggestions. I am hosting my book club on Thursday night and making an Italian themed dinner. For dessert, I think I'm going to go to the neighborhood gelateria and get an assortment of flavors. It's only 10 people, so we don't need a ton, and they sell pints as the largest size. They will have all the traditional flavors, but it does rotate daily.

I tend to gravitate toward salted caramel, and chocolate flavored gelatos. I will probably get Straciatella and Salted Caramel if they have them both. Any other suggestions on a fruitier flavor that is a tried and true? My kids always pick lemon gelato. I guess I could get that... I will probably get 4 pints total. I'm also going to either get Italian cookies/cannolis from the local bakery, or I may make Brown Butter Snickerdoodles (Acrylics!)

Strawberry Tequila Sorbet was really good, so something along that line might be a nice contrast. Or a tropical fruit sorbet. The salted caramel will go first might want to get 2 of those.

I don't know if they have more seasonal flavors, I haven't been in a while. I love coconut and mango together, but that seems pretty summery. Good point about needing two salted caramels. I do also have a couple of unopened pints of Talenti in my basement freezer, so I could always pull those out.

What time do we show up?

LOL. I'm pretty excited about my menu. I don't cook as much as I would like and book club gives me an opportunity to make things my family won't eat.

Antipasti Platter
    Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
    Dessert
    Wine
    Wine
    Wine

That all sounds amazing. Don't forget to take pictures.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

What time do we show up?

Antipasti Platter
    Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
    Dessert
    Wine
    Wine
    Wine

I am not sure you answered Jen's question, which is my question, too - what time would you like us there? And I expect Jen will bring some sangria sorbet?

7:00. The good news is, no one in my book club ever reads the book, so you won't have missed anything. We just eat, drink, and gossip.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member

Antipasti Platter
    Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
    Dessert
    Wine
    Wine
    Wine

The italian girl approves :laugh:
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    If anyone likes Pumpkin then try the Pumpkin Noosa yogurt that's only sold at Target.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member

What time do we show up?

Antipasti Platter
    Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
    Dessert
    Wine
    Wine
    Wine

7:00. The good news is, no one in my book club ever reads the book, so you won't have missed anything. We just eat, drink, and gossip.

I can do 7:00 and will bring the sangria sorbet. That all sounds really delicious
  • WinoGelato
    So I went to Whole Foods last night to shop for my book club event. I only go there a couple times a year, it is too expensive and too tempting...

Anyway, I didn't intend to buy ice cream since I have a couple pints of Talenti at home AND I'm getting gelato for my book club thing from the local shop BUT they had Graeter's on sale. Now I've never had Graeter's, but I remembered you guys talking about it in the Ice Cream Cleanse. I got salted caramel and coconut chocolate chip. Hope those were good choices!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I tried cookie butter and cookie butter ice cream for the first time last weekend. So good. I was super excited and lengthened my workout so I could have some more. My boyfriend came home and informed me he ate all of it. He made up for it by buying some more and brought me this too:

20140925_203230_zps4838f391.jpg

20140925_203247_zpsc4131f73.jpg

Super tasty; a really good balance of pumpkin flavor and spices.

I'm having my tonsils removed on Mondays, and I'm open to suggestions of ice creams that don't have anything sharp mixed in...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    I really want to try cookie butter. I keep hearing great things about it but we don't have Trader Joe's here.

I just checked their website and they claim to be opening one in Jacksonville on October 3rd. I'll have to go check it out.
  • dunnodunno
    I really want to try cookie butter. I keep hearing great things about it but we don't have Trader Joe's here.

I just checked their website and they claim to be opening one in Jacksonville on October 3rd. I'll have to go check it out.

I've tried the Lotus brand made with their European biscoff cookies in the creamy & crunchy & both were amazing.
  • WinoGelato

What time do we show up?

Antipasti Platter
    Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
    Dessert
    Wine
    Wine
    Wine

Brb....buying a wig.

And a book.........wait, what's a book?

Here's dessert from book club last night. Other food pics in the savory thread.

Gelato Assortment (Pumpkin Spice, Toasted Almond, Straciatella). I was so bummed they didn't have salted caramel, but the pumpkin spice was awesome and went perfectly with the brown butter snickerdoodles...

1d45e4bb-c8e3-41ea-a1ea-93aaff4d9038_zpsd6844f8c.jpg

Assorted Desserts including: Italian cookies from local bakery, pink cupcakes from Whole Foods and homemade Brown Butter Snickerdoodles (made by a friend, I ran out of time for baking)

58a2b57a-f9e5-4629-82fc-f6cd06bcb81f_zpsfb3bfe5e.jpg
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Shoprite has Talenti on sale for $2.88 this week.

So of course, I had to look for something interesting, lol.

I noticed Old World Egg Nog and picked it up, even though it's a bit early for eggnog (cause I mean.. I need pumpkin stuff!!!!). Has anyone given this flavor a try before? What did you think of it? I haven't tried mine yet cause I'm coming off of a really high calorie week (parties, parties, parties!).
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    We decided we wanted something sweet. So this happened at lunch.

Apple pie gelato.

2xIIcJ6.jpg?1

omg yum!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    That looks amazing MrM. Want.

New challenge for October is up:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1465277-fall-feast-challenge
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Made the trek to Trader Joe's today for Cookie Butter Ice Cream. It was worth the trip. The base is very creamy and there's a generous amount of cookie butter swirled in. If you haven't had cookie butter yet it tastes like biscoff cookies (similar to graham crackers) but in a creamy spread. It's very rich. The calories aren't too bad either-- 220 for 95 grams. It's pretty low on protein though-- only 2 grams.

b3c5f53d-edfd-4e82-9c26-0c013e43ee9f_zps4acbf537.jpg
  • dunnodunno
    edited November 2014
    Turkey Hill has a new limited edition flavor coming out soon

chocolate-malt-chip.jpg