What are you reading currently?

Options

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I finished the 9th Chief Inspector Gamache book this week. I really like this series. One more to go before reaching the end of the published books. Sigh.
    These books should be read in order as the relationships between the characters is what drives the series. The first book, Still Life by Louise Penny, (although good) is not the best. The characters mesh more after that book.
  • oORosadaOo
    oORosadaOo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »
    I finished the 9th Chief Inspector Gamache book this week. I really like this series. One more to go before reaching the end of the published books. Sigh.
    These books should be read in order as the relationships between the characters is what drives the series. The first book, Still Life by Louise Penny, (although good) is not the best. The characters mesh more after that book.

I love, love, love those books! <3 They make me laugh and cry and at times I wanna hug Louise Penny so hard for creating such wonderful characters!

Way back when I discovered the series I started with the 2nd book so when I read the 1st I already knew who the killer was because he didn't appear in the 2nd. :D

Enjoy the last book, I really liked it.

At the moment I'm reading Awaken, a YA novel about breaking out of the over-digitalised world. Very interesting.

• PaytraB
    Options
    oORosadaOo wrote: »
    I love, love, love those books! <3 They make me laugh and cry and at times I wanna hug Louise Penny so hard for creating such wonderful characters!

Enjoy the last book, I really liked it.

Don't you just love Ruth and Rosa? Ruth has been a favorite character since the first book.
    Thanks! I will enjoy the last book, I'm sure. I'll wait awhile before reading it, though, to savor it more. :smile:
  • oORosadaOo
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »

Don't you just love Ruth and Rosa? Ruth has been a favorite character since the first book.
    Thanks! I will enjoy the last book, I'm sure. I'll wait awhile before reading it, though, to savor it more. :smile:

I cried happy tears when Rosa returned! Ruth has a very good part in the last book. Currently Louise Penny is already on the last draft of the next book!
  • PaytraB
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Glad to hear both those things!
  • cdh2015
    cdh2015 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin! Just like all the rest, completely awesome!
  • Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    After being on a book binge during the winter holidays, I've barely been reading. Just finished my audiobook "The Heist" by Daniel Silva and am not quite sure what I'm picking up next.

I also rushed through Into the Still Blue by Veronica Rossi and going back to find the parts I skimmed over is going very slowly.
  • XTiffers13X
    Options
    Joanna fluke:s blueberry murder.
  • iwannabeonthebeach
    iwannabeonthebeach Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm reading Swan Song by Robert McCammon, god it's grim :(
  • jenndee11
    jenndee11 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi all--I'm new to this group so feel free to add me!

I just finished the Divergent series earlier this month; it was a quick read, definitely better than the movie.

Other titles I'm deep into right now are Dan Wells' Partials (a great post-apocalyptic read, similar to Roth's series) and Morris' The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt (a great bio on TR's upbringing and early career, and the apex of his political career).
  • beemr65
    beemr65 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading The Trip to Echo Springs by Olivia Laing. I'm working my way through the New York Times 2014 notable books. I'm about to start A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James. After that I'm going to need something light and fluffy!!!!
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    The Long Walk
  • Jay47_43
    Jay47_43 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just finished the Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne. Starting Saint Odd by Dean Koontz tomorrow.
  • iwannabeonthebeach
    Options
    Finished Swan Song at last - now its a choice between Testament of Youth by Vera Brittain or Revival by Stephen King. Hmmmm......what to choose?
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Testament of Youth... :smile: ....it's sitting on my bookshelf, too, and I'd appreciate your thoughts on it. :smile:

I recently finished both The Life & Opinions of Tomcat Murr by E.T.A. Hoffmann (a fun, humorous book) and Red Scarf Girl by Ji-Li Jiang (interesting look at growing up during the Cultural Revolution in China).
    I'm now reading The Silver Star by Jeanette Walls.
  • oORosadaOo
    Options
    I started Popular by Maya van Wagenen yesterday. It's hilarious! It takes me right back to my miserable 8th grade times. Wish I had a better self-help book back then instead of crappy magazines!
  • iwannabeonthebeach
    Options
    Actually went for something completely different in the end. Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan, the choice heavily influenced by the ability to hold it open while wallowing in the bath :wink:
  • PaytraB
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Nice choice! I like Ian McEwen's writing. Have you read any of his other books?

Rosada, sounds like a fun book!

• gwynne79
    gwynne79 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Rereading A game of thrones, so I can move on to the next in the series.
    I have tried twice to reread them, i have such a hard time knowing the character is going to die. It is one of my favorite series and i cant read them!

• gwynne79
    gwynne79 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am currently reading The Plum Series by Janet Evanovich. Not the most sophisticated series i have ever read, but it is light and easy, which works well right now for my sleep deprived brain.