Form critique thread, post your videos here.

Options

Replies

• n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Excellent! I tried the squat as directed in the article and nearly fell over backwards on my first attempt. This will also be added into my daily routine!!

Thank you!
    Build up to doing stuff in the squat. I like to brush my teeth while doing a 3rd world squat because I know it racks up to about 5-6 mins if I do it twice a day.
  • n3ver3nder
    Options
    _errata_ wrote: »

Deload, lower the weight, build back up from proper depth.

Work on your upper back tightness, get your knees out so you can hit depth and sort that walkout. 3 confident steps is all it should be. Getting tight right from the start, before you even unrack the bar, will make a lot of difference.
  • n3ver3nder
    Options
    Hi all, please can I get some feedback on my squat technique? I'm not sure if my lower back is becoming too rounded when I'm down low. I'd appreciate any other comments too, thanks! I've been lifting for six weeks - this is 47kg (103lbs) -Jonathan
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTCCeLlEc-c

It's not too much. Just work on your ankle and hip mobility a bit and it'll probably stop. Or cut your range of motion just a touch, as when you've just reached below parallel your back position is still neutral.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    n3ver3nder wrote: »

Work on your upper back tightness, get your knees out so you can hit depth and sort that walkout. 3 confident steps is all it should be. Getting tight right from the start, before you even unrack the bar, will make a lot of difference.

Thanks man. I really appreciate the feedback. I am starting my next cycle over, so I should be able to retool and focus on these pieces over the next few months.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Thanks man. I really appreciate the feedback. I am starting my next cycle over, so I should be able to retool and focus on these pieces over the next few months.

You are losing a lot with that walkout as n3ver3nder mentions.

You look like you are doing a high low bar or a low high bar. Have you played around with bar position? You look really awkward with your elbows where they are - I am thinking a more 'traditional' low bar may suit better.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hi all, please can I get some feedback on my squat technique? I'm not sure if my lower back is becoming too rounded when I'm down low. I'd appreciate any other comments too, thanks! I've been lifting for six weeks - this is 47kg (103lbs) -Jonathan
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTCCeLlEc-c

Sorry for the late response.

Not bad at all for only 6 weeks.

First things I would fix is your walk out - only take 3 steps is possible. Make them assertive.

Apologies for the douchiness of posting my own lift, but see my walkout here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSgMmKvEyys

The other tweaks I would make are:

1. do not go quite as low - you have a 'butt wink' which is more pronounced the lower you go. Make sure you break parallel, but do not go as low as you did on the deeper ones.
    2. Take a deep breath and stabilize your lats and core before you squat
    3. Try to slightly break at the hips a smidge before your knees bend - so its a bit more of a sit back motion. Not too much - just a little more pronounced than you are doing.
    4. Be more assertive at the top re lock out.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

You are losing a lot with that walkout as n3ver3nder mentions.

You look like you are doing a high low bar or a low high bar. Have you played around with bar position? You look really awkward with your elbows where they are - I am thinking a more 'traditional' low bar may suit better.

I just lock it in between my traps and delts and try to get my *kitten* down past my knees without getting any kind of weird hip and knee action in the process. I haven't spent a lot of time looking at the differences between high bar and low bar squats but I'll take a look sarah.

As far as my arms are concerned. I just try to pull them in tight and keep my upper body tight like a rod iron. Am I good at it? Meh. I will keep an eye on these things too.

• dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone. This is my first time posting here and I am really embarrassed but I am hoping to get some advice on my squats. I have been focusing a lot on form and I am just not sure about it. Do I have too much pelvic tilt at the bottom? It probably looks weird that I stopped a few times to take a couple breaths but I was battling some major mental doubt about my form and I was just trying to reset. Thank you for your time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meBb4rdekkQ
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Would be interested in your feedback on my deadlift form. This is a 1RM (365lb @ 165lb bw), since it's the only video I have. As such it's probably my form at it's worst.

Deadlift 1RM

At some point I'll get around to getting a vid of my squat form and put that up too.

Edit: Might want to turn the sound down before watching - I'm a shouter.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Would be interested in your feedback on my deadlift form. This is a 1RM (365lb @ 165lb bw), since it's the only video I have. As such it's probably my form at it's worst.

Deadlift 1RM

At some point I'll get around to getting a vid of my squat form and put that up too.

Pretty damn good form for a 1RM attempt if I'm honest.

My one suggestion for you would be to consider extending your legs before you start (the period in the video where you're crouched down preparing for your lift). When you're ready, take a big breath, THEN get down into position and pull. Reason being, you can take a bigger breath when you're not all scrunched up and in a position to pull. You'll have to hold your breath for an extra second or so as a result but it's not a big deal.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Deadlift 1RM

Pretty damn good form for a 1RM attempt if I'm honest.

My one suggestion for you would be to consider extending your legs before you start (the period in the video where you're crouched down preparing for your lift). When you're ready, take a big breath, THEN get down into position and pull. Reason being, you can take a bigger breath when you're not all scrunched up and in a position to pull. You'll have to hold your breath for an extra second or so as a result but it's not a big deal.

Thanks, I shall definitely try that next time I pull.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    dennie24 wrote: »
    Hi, everyone. This is my first time posting here and I am really embarrassed but I am hoping to get some advice on my squats. I have been focusing a lot on form and I am just not sure about it. Do I have too much pelvic tilt at the bottom? It probably looks weird that I stopped a few times to take a couple breaths but I was battling some major mental doubt about my form and I was just trying to reset. Thank you for your time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meBb4rdekkQ

Thanks for posting.

First of all you have nothing to be embarrassed about.

I'm not concerned about pelvic tilt. You do tend to have a bit of a good-morning as the hips are rising faster than your chest. There's a few different causes.

You might want to deload a bit of weight and focus on leading with your chest to attempt to sync the ascent of the chest and hips.

That being said I'm going to watch your vid more before commenting futher.

Overall though aside from the early hips I think you have a nice squat and that's damn sure nothing to be embarrassed about.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Ok, having watched it again I'm going to raise the question as to whether or not the issue is simply that your posterior chain is much stronger than your quads so you are basically shooting the hips early because you're simply stronger in that position.

Granted I could be wrong and it could be a matter of programming (learning to sync the chest/hips). But having said that, I'd consider accessorizing or cycling in front squats for a bit to see if that helps the issue after a while.

It doesn't look (to me at least) that it's a mobility issue. Ankle complex looks reasonable, knees look reasonable, and honestly other than the early hip thing (which could be causing the slight variance in bar path rather than the other way around) your squat looks solid.

Finally, it does look like you're racking from a fairly low rack position. Not sure if you can raise that or not but it looks low for you.
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    Everything SideStreet said, I agree with. That squat is better than about 80% I've seen and it would take minimal work to make it near-perfect.
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I will definitely add some front squats to the mix and be more mindful of my chest and hips being synced. I'll look at raising the rack a bit too. Thank you so much for your feedback SideSteel and DopeItUp!
  • crashchamp
    crashchamp Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hey guys I am pretty new to lifting about 2 months. A friend recommended posting to this group to get tips on squat form. This is my first youtube video as well so sorry about any quality issues. This is 175 pounds and my 3rd set of 8. I figured I would video the set where I am most fatigued. Thanks for any tips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYJ-ajkN5O0

• DopeItUp
    Options
    Your video is private, FYI. Gotta make it unlisted or public.
  • crashchamp
    crashchamp Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Your video is private, FYI. Gotta make it unlisted or public.

Oops It should be public now sorry
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Squats today... not my best set, not my worst. 5/3/1... 165 / 190 / 210

http://youtu.be/iAeGj5lMorM
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    They look easy. Two things:
    1) You lean a touch forward and that puts the weight over your toes. You should in theory be able to lift your toes up. Keeps the weight over your midfoot/heels.
    2) Since it's a light weight, you can tippie toe the weitht off the holders. But once the weight gets heavy, it will be difficult to put it back. You can see you had to heave the bar up to get it back onto the holders. Better to just lower the holders 1 setting and not have to worry about it.