Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• KrisPage
    KrisPage Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I did W3D1 today increased my pace a little and continued to cover the full 5k distance
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Done with W8D2. I was able to run outside twice last week and was able to run 3k non stop both times, but I have yet to hit that on the treadmill (best I've done is 2.5 miles non-stop). I always thought running on the treadmill would be easier, but boy was I wrong! I was pleasantly surprised by how much easier it is to run outside. My splits were even faster outside than on the treadmill! I can't wait for the warmer weather coming this week to WI so I can run outside again!
  • VintageMatch
    VintageMatch Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Did W7D3 today, got up feeling like crap with a sick puppy(he's alright but I bet he will never eat a sock again). Did the 25min run and I had to slow down, but on Fridays my goal this month is to do the 3.1 miles even just walking the last bit. So I did 25min run, walked 20min and then didn't feel too bad so I ran another .25 miles and then walked the last couple min to the 3.1 mile mark. Better than I thought I was going to do. Happy Friday everyone. :)
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    W2D2 done!
  • IndigoSue13
    IndigoSue13 Posts: 99 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I DID IT!!! I ran my first 5K this morning. My unofficial time according to Runtastic was 40:08. I'll have to look up my official time - I think they'll be posting that somewhere.

I had to walk one small portion -- just at the beginning of mile 3, there was a very steep hill. Everyone was walking it (except, I'm sure, for the more experienced runners, but they were way ahead of the rest of us). I jogged halfway up, but had to walk the rest. It was probably just a minute or so.

I'm super happy and proud of myself. I never thought I'd be able to do something like this. Now I'm going to find another 5K to run next month! I'll be working on hills and trying to improve my time until then. :)
  • joannezuk
    joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Way to go IndigoSue! What a great accomplishment!

I came down with a nasty head cold on Thursday morning, and have been suffering pretty bad ever since. I did run on Thursday, but haven't been up to running again. I can hear the treadmill calling me. But I'm so sick, I don't think I'll be doing myself any favours by running. Hoping to feel up to it tomorrow.

Keep up the great work everyone!
  • Aine8046
    Options
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    W2D2 done!

W2D3 done! Look forward to week 3!
  • KrisPage
    Options
    W3d2 with a 4-5 mile running pace
  • constellation709
    constellation709 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Did W3D1, had been on W2 for several weeks. Aiming for W3 D2 on Tuesday.
  • MissKissKins
    MissKissKins Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    joannezuk wrote: »
    Good call Misskk! Breathing makes a huge difference in running. I changed my breathing pattern last year after doing some reading...in for three steps through the nose then out for 2 steps through the mouth. It's tough at first but made a difference in my endurance.

On a side note, I did w2d2 today, and despite a killer head cold, felt great doing it.

I'll try your in for 3 out for 2 today! I've been mixing it up trying to find a balance. Usually in 3 out 3 but out seems too long! I'll give your suggestion a go. I've also noticed earphones and music distract me!! Something I never though I'd say.

Congratualtions IndigoSue13!!!
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 8 but haven't run since Tuesday since traveling for business. I'm definitely running tonight but a little nervous! Plan is to slow waaaayyy down and just plow through it. Eeeek!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    @IndigoSue13- Way to go!

And to everybody else who is hanging in there- keep up the great work! You can do this!!!
  • VintageMatch
    VintageMatch Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    W8D1 done!!! Managed 2 miles straight running!!! Not the 2.75 it wants but I'm getting there. So close to being done!!!
  • bjdavidson964
    bjdavidson964 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Done with W8D2. I was able to run outside twice last week and was able to run 3k non stop both times, but I have yet to hit that on the treadmill (best I've done is 2.5 miles non-stop). I always thought running on the treadmill would be easier, but boy was I wrong! I was pleasantly surprised by how much easier it is to run outside. My splits were even faster outside than on the treadmill! I can't wait for the warmer weather coming this week to WI so I can run outside again!

Awesome! I find that I'm able to run faster outside too (though for not as long ... the asphalt kills my knees). It doesn't feel like I'm moving at the pace RunKeeper tells me when I'm outside. Currently stuck on Week4.2 (the supplemental week) due to knee pain. Would like to start running on a track (my knees would appreciate the cushioned surface), however high school track season is now upon us and the tracks are in use for practice. For some reason running at 5.0mph on my treadmill is very uncomfortable...it's 15+ years old and I think the front part is a bit short ... so I can't really open out my stride. No gym membership at the moment ... so no access to newer treadmills ... with 2 kids in college had to let the gym go ... haha. Gonna keep stretching and icing the knee and plugging along.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    due to knee pain.

Sounds like you're overstriding. Ease your pace an shorten your stride.
  • Aine8046
    Options
    Did W3D1... Aiming for W3 D2 on Tuesday.
    Me too! I ran outside today - it finally warmed up enough... OMG, it is much more difficult than treadmill, but I still did it!
  • KrisPage
    Options
    Another day down W3day2
  • bjdavidson964
    bjdavidson964 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    due to knee pain.

Sounds like you're overstriding. Ease your pace an shorten your stride.

Thanks for the input ... I'll be sure to pay extra attention to my stride and pace when I try Week4.2 again hopefully tomorrow.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,558 Member
    Options
    W2d1 done yesterday. It was surprisingly easy. I did 8 running intervals of 90 seconds and 7 fast walking of 120 seconds with a total of 3.61km in 31 minutes. Sure it's not superfast, but I'm happy I'm managing to run for 90 seconds - or 200m. That's half of the old school trauma 400m that I never managed to do.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input ... I'll be sure to pay extra attention to my stride and pace when I try Week4.2 again hopefully tomorrow.

Knee pain can have a number of causes, but one of the principal sources is reaching the forward leg out too far, so applying excessive torque loading on the lower leg and stressing the knee.

Focus on planting the foot just in front of the centre of mass, or immediately below the centre of mass, then pushing forward.