Random Thoughts - Misc. Chat Thread for April / May 2015

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I had a dream I bought two massive tubs of protein, like the size of oil tanks. I portioned it out to my neighbors in gallon-size Ziplocks.

:D:D:D

i know this old man in namibia who does the same thing with gemsbok.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    ^^^Krokador, have you tried kefir for dairy? It's a fermented dairy product and the lactose is supposedly eaten up by the kefir grains (culture). People who are lactose I tolerant can usually have kefir, so I hear. I have kefir smoothies every day. With whey protein

The only kefir I have found is pre-sweetened and flavored and I am definitely not a fan of the taste. It also gave me really bad gas and bloating if I recall properly, so that certainly was not the answer to my prayers! lol. (But maybe it was past the best by date as well as it took me forever to try and get through the damn thing. It was so expensive, too :/ At least I can say I tried?)
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Ah, sorry! Yeah, I make my own at home, unsweetened, and use it in smoothies. I've never had issues but I don't have issues with dairy.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    reporting on my physio experi . . . uh, appointment on saturday, as a pretext for bumping this thread so it doesn't get lost.

so it turns out that according to him i don't have tightness in my rear shoulder the way that i'd thought. in fact, i'm a bit hypermobile. what i do have is an actual-factual 'internal impingement' which is making it feel like those muscles are tight . . . because they're getting trapped. so lesson learned: an impingement pinch doesn't feel all that different to me from the way an overtight muscle feels when it's trying to stretch.

there's probably more to the picture than that, but right now i'm stoopid with optimism. he showed me one subtle little adjustment i can make to keep the rear capsule open and give all those muscles more room, and shazam! ZERO pain during external rotation that side.

i tried it out with my squatting today, and the difference was just ridiculous. i may be getting way ahead of myself here, but i tell you. i'm thinking 'well damn. if i could squat 85 pounds when it turns out i was getting in my own way the whole time, just wait till this new regime takes proper hold and we'll see what happens.'
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    @canadianlbs that's awesome you are seeing improvement that quickly.

I did an engagement photo shoot for my bestie and now she wants to "save some money" and just use me for her wedding. There are a couple of problems 1) I'm pretty new to photography. 2) I really don't want to screw up her wedding photos 3) it's so much work and 4) she is kind of a pain in the *kitten* when it comes to pictures of herself ("oh I don't like that one, makes my face look fat" me thinking "it's a great photo and that's just what your face looks like") .
    I mean it would be great experience for me and I don't think that I have a way to get out of it. So it will probably end up happening blah. It just seems so overwhelming.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Rofl!!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    I don't think that I have a way to get out of it. So it will probably end up happening blah. It just seems so overwhelming.

uuughhh. expectations + bestfriend + a wedding . . . i'm flinching for you. she probably doesn't expect to be treated like a customer, which really puts you in a tough kind of spot without even giving you useful practice at how to set boundaries with actual customers.

like i'm the expert on boundaries ;) i keep setting mine for these maniacs i'm working with, and they just go away and a week later come up with some new undeterred set of irrational expectations.

• MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I had a dream I bought two massive tubs of protein, like the size of oil tanks. I portioned it out to my neighbors in gallon-size Ziplocks.

:D:D:D

i know this old man in namibia who does the same thing with gemsbok.

Shoot my cover is blown!

Fantastic news about your shoulder. You're going to be squatting cars soon :tongue:

• MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    @canadianlbs that's awesome you are seeing improvement that quickly.

I did an engagement photo shoot for my bestie and now she wants to "save some money" and just use me for her wedding. There are a couple of problems 1) I'm pretty new to photography. 2) I really don't want to screw up her wedding photos 3) it's so much work and 4) she is kind of a pain in the *kitten* when it comes to pictures of herself ("oh I don't like that one, makes my face look fat" me thinking "it's a great photo and that's just what your face looks like") .
    I mean it would be great experience for me and I don't think that I have a way to get out of it. So it will probably end up happening blah. It just seems so overwhelming.

Was she picky about her engagement photos? For the wedding, it helps to set boundaries and expectations early. Maybe write up a contract or some other type of agreement to help separate the friendship from the professional relationship.
  • Llamapants86
    Options
    I just did her engagement photos on the weekend and sent her some proofs. I am starting to realize that she has some...interesting perceptions of herself that is leading to some conflict. She didn't like most of them and she's told me to look through her facebook profile pics to see what she likes and they are all terrible photos (technically speaking, out of focus, over contrasted, either extremely under or over exposed etc.).

If she was just a client I would tell her that my style is more natural and that should have been clear from my portfolio. What I would like to say is "this is what your face looks like deal with it sunglasses.jpg". It is really frustrating because she is really photogenic. I might just tell her the client line and hope she understands that it's coming professionally from me, not from a personal friendship kind of thing.

I'm kinda hoping she chooses to say that we have artistic differences and get a different photographer for her wedding. And if she compares her doing my makeup for my wedding and doing wedding photos one more time I might lose my *kitten*.

Oh so much angst over this.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Sounds like she doesn't like how she looks and the blurry/high contrast/dark photos hide that. The client line sounds good. Wedding photos shouldn't look like what you'd find on a pimply pre-teen's tumblr.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I just did her engagement photos on the weekend and sent her some proofs. I am starting to realize that she has some...interesting perceptions of herself that is leading to some conflict. She didn't like most of them and she's told me to look through her facebook profile pics to see what she likes and they are all terrible photos (technically speaking, out of focus, over contrasted, either extremely under or over exposed etc.).

If she was just a client I would tell her that my style is more natural and that should have been clear from my portfolio. What I would like to say is "this is what your face looks like deal with it sunglasses.jpg". It is really frustrating because she is really photogenic. I might just tell her the client line and hope she understands that it's coming professionally from me, not from a personal friendship kind of thing.

I'm kinda hoping she chooses to say that we have artistic differences and get a different photographer for her wedding. And if she compares her doing my makeup for my wedding and doing wedding photos one more time I might lose my *kitten*.

Oh so much angst over this.

I would definitely tell her the "client line" now and if she isn't happy, its not worth jeopardizing your friendship with each other over saving a few dollars. Honestly, it might be better if you suggest that perhaps she looks for another alternative for her photographer and ya, doing your makeup is not the same thing as taking her photos, not even close!
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    If you need it for your portfolio, do it but be firm in what your style is. If not, run in the opposite direction :P
    Just say you won't be able to give her what she wants.
    I did baby photos for my BFF. It was fun, and we got some great pics of her son and my daughter together. Then, the FB sharing started. She took a pic and did this horrible vignette and selective colour thing to it that made me cringe. It was so awkward to have to tell her that it was super bad form to take a photographer's work and edit and share it without their permission. That was only one baby pic. Luckily, she was understanding and took it well, but it was still super awkward. Your friend doesn't sound like the type that would take it well :P
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

Just to be clear THIS is what made me laugh earlier NOT the post about taking wedding pictures! I hope everything works out in that situation!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    Fantastic news about your shoulder. You're going to be squatting cars soon :tongue:

i think i'll just swat a few project managers. this JOB.

• MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Good idea! Maybe even use them for the Keg Toss as seen in Strong Man competitions (I love watching those).
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    And if she compares her doing my makeup for my wedding and doing wedding photos one more time

as in, she did a for you so now you owe her b? . . . it sounds like the expectation level is the problem, not the favour. unless you nit-picked her into the ground over yours or something.

speaking of. last week the flavour-of-the-week was 'we can't review these test cases you put in 60-hour weeks to produce because they're not in our [piece of *kitten*] tool and therefore not traceable.' there were reasons why it wasn't in the piece-of-*kitten* tool, which i reminded them of. then i did 12-hour days for the rest of the week to complete the stuff i was actually working on at the time, in order to investigate workarounds for the traceability problem. i found what i thought was the best answer there is, and got started on it.

this week it became 'your solution to [x] doesnt' work because it doesn't let us do [y].' i TOLD them it wouldn't do [y], i told them right from day 3, and i kept telling them. i got told off for doing that, months ago, and also they refused to believe it was true since i was telling them what i knew at that point and according to them i 'don't know enough' yet to be worth listening to. so at 5pm yesterday they absorbed the idea - because i proved it to them. and suddenly told me that i will have to do [z]. i told them how impossible and life-draining it will become for me to do [z] and also pointed out that doing [z] means they definitely will not get [x], [y] or even [w], which they have temporarily forgotten that they want as well. but they still said that's what they want.

i put in an extra unbilled 4 hours last night looking for anything in their fuckwit tool that will give them a version of [y] and let me off the hook of a) having to try to do their so-called solution aka [z], which is just another way of setting myself up for further downstream abuse when they work out that [z] won't give them [p]. not to mention hearing in a week or two more that i've neglected to provide them with [w] so now i will have to start doing [m] with my third or fourth hand in order to cover that base. meanwhile they've already hired an extra developer and an extra ba, and they're planning to add one more of both on top of those two.

so we're sitting now at 2-heading-for-3 business analysts and 3-heading-for-4 developers. who all have deranged grandiosely expansionist plans, when they're not even covered on the home base. and ONE QA ANALYST. whose bandwidth for trying to even give them a minimal home-base stability is down to about 60% atm because the other 40% is being taken up with sitting still and getting carped at for not doing [g] [t] and [v].

today is the thursday meeting. and win lose work quit or fired, i'm going to the gym when this day is over.
  • Llamapants86
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    If you need it for your portfolio, do it but be firm in what your style is. If not, run in the opposite direction :P
    Just say you won't be able to give her what she wants.
    I did baby photos for my BFF. It was fun, and we got some great pics of her son and my daughter together. Then, the FB sharing started. She took a pic and did this horrible vignette and selective colour thing to it that made me cringe. It was so awkward to have to tell her that it was super bad form to take a photographer's work and edit and share it without their permission. That was only one baby pic. Luckily, she was understanding and took it well, but it was still super awkward. Your friend doesn't sound like the type that would take it well :P

So far I told her the client line, this is my style. If you want that for your wedding we should be fine, if not, find someone else sorry. If it means she's mad at me for a bit then whatever, she'll get over it.

Keg tossing project managers sounds like a good time!
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I joined this group last week and did my first Stronglifts 5x5 workout yesterday. I was just wondering if there's an Introduction thread for this group. I searched but couldn't find one. I'd like to get to know some members a bit better before jumping into conversations (like I'm doing right now, LOL) or hijacking another newbie's Intro post. Thanks! Feel free to add me as a friend if you like.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi, welcome @pepperpat64! Still consider myself new, week 5, and didn't see an Introduction thread so as you said just hijacked another ;)