What are you reading currently?

Options

Replies

• lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Twilight. Lol. (hangs head in mock shame) When I was in high school I loved Anne Rice. I wanted to relive my gothic vampire loving days.
  • iwannabeonthebeach
    iwannabeonthebeach Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Fell for the hype and I'm now listening to Wreckage by Emily Bleeker. I hope it gets better because lets just say the suspense ISN'T killing me.

It didn't. :(

Moving on, now reading Philomena by Martin Sixsmith (it came out as a film last year). Little bit dull, not having much luck with my choice of reading lately.
  • SyllyReth
    SyllyReth Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am currently in the process of reading and doing a chapter-by-chapter reaction blog to the 50 Shades series. After that's done, I am going to go back to my choice literature and read something new in the fantasy genre.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Catcher in the rye, I don't recommend it. It feels like the sequence of a spoiled rich teenager.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend Peace Like A River by Leif Enger. I really enjoyed it. The story centers around one's perspective when witnessing (interpretation), loyalty, family ties, faith, character and miracles.

I just started I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan. Not far enough along yet to say much about it but it is humorous in a chuckling way.
  • juniper68
    juniper68 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Peace like a River is one of my all-time favorite books! Glad to see the recommendation here.

I just finished Patron Saint of Ugly - it's magical realism-ish and has some wonderful characters.

I used to really be into Laurie King's Mary Russell series although I haven't read one in a while, so I am enjoying her Art of Detection, which is modern day but has lots of Holmes in it so far.
  • iwannabeonthebeach
    Options
    Just stared The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton. It's shaping up to be along the lines of The Girl with the Pearl Earring - same setting (Amsterdam), same era (17th century), same narrative style (young girl thrust into a high society life she doesn't understand) but I quite like it so far. The heroine has a bit of spunk about her and isn't prepared to accept her fate.
  • tiffany82manross
    tiffany82manross Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm reading Lemon meragine Pie by Joanna Fluke.
  • iwannabeonthebeach
    Options
    Listening to Sleep Tight by Rachel Abbott on my iPod - OMG so many twists and turns, can't wait to get in my car in the mornings to get to the next chapter!
  • sj911guy
    sj911guy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm currently reading The Fiery Cross, book 5 in the Diana Gabaldon Outlander series. My wife and I are hooked on the Starz T.V. series.
  • iwannabeonthebeach
    Options
    Listening to Sleep Tight by Rachel Abbott on my iPod - OMG so many twists and turns, can't wait to get in my car in the mornings to get to the next chapter!

Finished! Fantastic story, kept me guessing right to the end. A story of obsession and control. Every time I thought I'd figured it out BOOM it turned again, highly recommended!
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I haven't had much free time lately, so I've just been reading old Deadpool comics. A friend gave me copies of #1-69 from the late-1990's.
  • timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    The Buried Giant. I'm loving it.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    sj911guy wrote: »
    I'm currently reading The Fiery Cross, book 5 in the Diana Gabaldon Outlander series. My wife and I are hooked on the Starz T.V. series.

I recently finished book 6, A Breath of Snow & Ashes. The story continues to be good. I'm holding off on book 7 until there's some talk about when book 8 comes out. She's so slow in finishing this series. :neutral:
  • iwannabeonthebeach
    Options
    The Buried Giant. I'm loving it.

It's next on my Audible list - will be starting it tonight! Love Kazuo Ishiguro, The Remains of the Day is in my Top 10 list.

Just finished The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton. Really beautiful story and a very "non-Holloywood" ending, some very 'modern' themes tackled. Highly recommended.
  • Drakhan
    Drakhan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I just finished 2666 by Roberto Bolaño and honestly, I need a break. It was brutal two months. So I read Vengeance of the Demon (the latest in Diana Rowland's Kara Gillian series) last week and started Skinwalker (the first book in Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series) this week.

Like I said, 2666 is a brutal read, almost a thousand pages long and it ranges literally all over the world from Europe to northern Mexico, covering everything from hardcore literary philosophy to sexual violence. It is a great novel, but reading it is the intellectual equivalent of running a marathon. If Haruki Murikami were Mexican, he'd have written this novel as five separate books. I would recommend it to people who want a challenge and don't read books expecting an ending that wraps up all the lose ends. Or as my wife claims, snobs who just want to say they've read it.

Vengeance of the Demon was ... eh. I love urban fantasy and the Kara Gillian series but this book feels like it was written purely as a transition between the first six books and the next ones. I enjoyed it and read it in two days so I can't complain about it, but it's not as good as the first six.

I want to like the Jane Yellowrock series. I really do. But I'm halfway through the book and I'm just not digging Jane Yellowrock. She's exactly the kind of female protagonist I've wanted to see in urban fantasy ... but the way she's written is kind of making me understand why you never see female protagonists like her in urban fantasy. But I'm hoping she'll evolve with the series.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    My novel, Dragon Born, is a fantasy novel featuring a female protagonist... available on Amazon...

I've been re-reading some of the classic fantasy books in my collection lately. Currently churning through Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Riders of Pern trilogy.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    I liked 2666. Like you said, Drakhan, it was brutal....especially the third book.....but also very good. It's been awhile. I've meant to read more of Bolano's books but haven't gotten around to it yet.

In the past couple of weeks, I've read My Name Was Judas by C.K. Stead and On Canaan's Side by Sebastian Barry. Both were good.

I'm currently reading Roxana by Daniel Dafoe. Not bad; perhaps a bit slow but it's still early. The action may pick up yet.
  • Drakhan
    Drakhan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The part about the boxers bothered me. It seemed to just not fit well with the other parts. Although the part about the murders read like a collection of autopsy reports in parts. I've never read Roxane. It always sounded like a more mannerly version of De Sade's Justine with the theme that life is hard, and harder if you're female.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    I don't even remember the boxers. :smile: Yeah, reading about all those murders was brutal. The idea may have been to dull your senses to the brutality of it all....the way the society's senses were dulled by living amid that uncertainty.
    Regardless. Bolano's writing is really good and I'm looking forward to reading more of his books.