Maybe We Should Have A Meat-Only May Challenge?

Options

Replies

• tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    @FIT_Goat do you ever make gb jerky? saw that recipe on zioh, may try it out. don't have a dehydrator but maybe in ze oven.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I just got mine. It's an electric Masterbuilt smoker. You can set a temp and it will maintain it within 10 degrees or so for the length of time you tell it (up to 24 hours). I only got it a while ago. I've used it a few times, but only the once for jerky. Before that, I was limited to the oven method. It wasn't super-cheap, but it was worth it for me (considering that I only eat meat).

I just bought some ribs today. Those will go in sometime this week, or next weekend. I really like smoked meats. The only issue is that it's time consuming. But, you can make a lot of stuff at once and it will hold over for a few days. I'm planning all sorts of meats for the future. The smoker will get a lot of use when my work schedule slows down.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    As an aside, I am still not decided about dropping coffee for May. June would be a much better month for me to do that, if I do it at all. I did pick up some extra bottles of sparkling water for work, just in case. But, I make no promises.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Copied from another thread:
    I had said I wasn't going to do it, as hubby had been worried about the lack of veg and me not cooking enough for everybody. I asked him about it again today, and he said he's fine with it as long as the bathroom is surviveable. :wink: As long as I'm cooking enough meat for everybody, they can always eat the frozen veggies (or the kids may go next door and beg their grandparents for real food) and we can pick up salads & buns for them to supplement.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So, yeah, I'm in. Memorial Day weekend camping with more people should be interesting, but I'll just pick out the shrimp from the shrimp boil & skip the potatoes & corn.
  • VartorTheBarbarian_
    Options
    Upon further reflection, I'm down with everything on this list except artificial sweeteners. I do not think I'm willing to do without them. I may catch the next challenge.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Upon further reflection, I'm down with everything on this list except artificial sweeteners. I do not think I'm willing to do without them. I may catch the next challenge.

I think the artificial sweeteners will be the hardest thing for many people doing this. It was one of the hardest and last things to go for me.
  • FIT_Goat
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The following is a weekly food eaten list for one of my earlier attempts at going meat only. You can see that I definitely was not ready to give up the artificial sweeteners (12 oz of Torani Sugar Free syrups in one week).

sk12e9e4ufkj.png

I also had some nuts (a tiny amount, but still a little) and some mushrooms (mushroom cream sauce). It wasn't perfect. Of all the things that were hardest to kick, it was the sweeteners. The nuts were probably a close second.

Edit: If you do the math, this works out to only like 13 oz a day of meat. The rest is cheese, dairy, eggs, or other stuff. Even eating this low amount of calories, now, I would aim for more meat (like 18-24 oz of meat) and less dairy and cheese. But, it was a start.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your own background with switching to this woe.

Somehow I am totally find giving up the AS ingredients. I've been trying to mostly eat meat lately anyway, so hopefully I find it's just a matter of not tasting veggies I make when I cook for my husband as well.

Today I made the nomnompaleo cracklin chicken. I could live on just that, easy!
  • VartorTheBarbarian_
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

I think the artificial sweeteners will be the hardest thing for many people doing this. It was one of the hardest and last things to go for me.

Fit_goat and others who want to chime in, when you did take the plunge and give up AS, when benefits did you experience?
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Other than don't buy more veggies, any other suggestions for those of us about to start?
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Wow that is pretty hardcore & definitely not for me. I can't tell you how excited Atkins 40 made me - more fruit, veggies & whole grains - particularly happy I can enjoy my beloved mangoes & clementines. But for all you hardcore meat eaters, good luck & enjoy!

• glossbones
    Options
    If you're used to vegetables and other carb sources, you might look for recipes that offer a variety of textures (crispy/stewed/roasted, etc) for the period where you have trouble only imagining one kind of food.
  • Juliste
    Juliste Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. New to this group and I would like to join the ZC challenge.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Juliste wrote: »
    Hello everyone. New to this group and I would like to join the ZC challenge.

Welcome aboard. This one is a bit of a challenge. But, it should be fun.

• FIT_Goat
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

Fit_goat and others who want to chime in, when you did take the plunge and give up AS, when benefits did you experience?

Finally cut the AS starting July of 2014. It was after a pretty solid month (June) where I tested how I reacted to them. I did this by making sure I had a minimum amount of various AS during the day (not always every kind). I included maltitol, ethrytol (sp), Torani syrups, and others. My weight, hunger, and calorie consumption all rose dramatically that month. My weight loss reversal was even more extreme than the calorie change would have predicted.

In July, I removed them entirely, and everything pretty much reversed over the month. I don't restrict calories, so anything that increases my consumption (and also seems to lower my metabolism) is a bad thing. Removing them allows me to eat as much as I want, and I will maintain my weight and/or continue to lose. My cravings and desire for sweets and other food increase dramatically when consuming anything sweet.

As a further benefit, although you might not see it as one from the start, is a complete distaste for sweet. I drank some Diet Coke a couple weeks ago (my old beverage of choice), and found it extremely distasteful. I couldn't even finish it. I just gave it to my wife and went and got some water... from a public fountain. Because that was more appealing. Weird, but true.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Something like a Whole30 can help with cutting AS, since you have to go cold turkey from sugar and sweeteners in all their sneaky guises. http://whole9life.com/2010/06/sugar-sugar-sugar/
  • VartorTheBarbarian_
    Options
    Thank you, Fit_goat and Kirkor.
  • glossbones
    Options
    I already know there will be a couple of failed days for me (birthdays, one of which is mine and there's a dessert I've really wanted to try), but I accept them and will move on. At least both the weekends in question are early in the month. The second and third (out of four) birthdays shouldn't be impossible to avoid cake and such. I'll just excuse myself with a "sorry, I don't have much of a sweet tooth anymore." So it hopefully won't be too much of an impact.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I've been riding the fence, but made up my mind to join in this challenge. See y'all at the starting gate, lol!
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I've just finished 5 days without dairy (naturopath's orders) which means I've eaten more meat. I've lost more weight in this 5 days than any other single week since going LC - well, probably ever! Just had an omelette for lunch (hubby cooked) and half way through realised that cheese is a major ingredient. Fortunately I'd completed my 5 days, but it'll be interesting to see if the cheese makes a difference on the scales tomorrow. If it does, I may be greatly reducing a life-time addiction in the very near future ;)