Maybe We Should Have A Meat-Only May Challenge?

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    I have no idea how well being carnivore will work for someone who has had bariatric surgery. Meat is nutrient dense and high in protein, both thing that should prove beneficial to those who have had the surgery. Beneficial enough to be the sole source of nutrients? That only careful self-experimentation could answer, and even then it would only answer the question for that one person.

I think you will be fine. But, I would be much more cautious about watching for negative symptoms. I would also talk to my doctor and get on a regimen for monitoring nutrients closely for at least the first few months.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited April 2015
    rkufeke wrote: »
    So would it be better to gradually move in the zero-carb direction (from keto) between now and May 1, or just jump right in when the challenge starts?

Depends on where you're at right now and how much of a jump going carnivore would be. I pretty much dove in head-first, but I already don't eat a lot of vegetables unless I'm going out to eat or something.
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I take the B12 because I have had Gastric Bypass. Anytime you have surgery that reduces the size of your stomach, it reduces your ability to absorb nutrients from food. Also the bypass shortens the length of them small intestine where nutrients are also absorbed. So, I take these vitamins for life. It will be interesting to send my labs next month.

Thank you Fit_Goat! I feel I'm getting in the swing of this pretty good.

I believe I will be up for the challenge by the first!

Yes, you (and other gastric bypass patients) are the exception to all vitamin rules. That would be considered extenuating circumstances and you're expected to use your own judgement on such advice. All talk in this group should be considered "recommendations for people who do not have extenuating medical needs," unless otherwise specified.
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    AnarchoGen wrote: »
    I was thinking about joining but since my body doesn't agree with dairy, there's absolutely no way I could do this without plant oils. I'll keep doing my own thing.

i am doing zero carb with no dairy.
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    well, i still include butter, but you can also use ghee. and if it's about cooking oils - i agree with dragonwolf above.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    The diet recommendations, for me as a post op bariatric patient, were protein and veggies with minimal carbs. So, I feel that I am following doctors orders anyway. Just adding some fat and less veggies. I know that life threatening issues will occur if I don't take my vitamins, so no worries there. Will be seeing my doctor and nutritionist next month. Will be having labs drawn and I'm anxious to see how they look. Thanks everyone!
  • Jennym93
    Jennym93 Posts: 136 Member
    Is milk ok in small amounts for this?
    I was thinking 100ml limit daily, that might be a bit high.
    If not is there a better alternative for in tea I tried cream instead but it was awful
  • FIT_Goat
    Jennym93 wrote: »
    If not is there a better alternative for in tea I tried cream instead but it was awful

100ml of milk will be around 5g of carbs (depending on fat content). It is an animal product, and is allowed for that reason. But, I wouldn't recommend it for most people. Everyone is different though. You can certainly try it and see if it impacts your own weight loss or hunger.
  • Jennym93
    Jennym93 Posts: 136 Member
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Jennym93 wrote: »

100ml of milk will be around 5g of carbs (depending on fat content). It is an animal product, and is allowed for that reason. But, I wouldn't recommend it for most people. Everyone is different though. You can certainly try it and see if it impacts your own weight loss or hunger.

Thank you I'll see how it goes but keep milk to tea/coffee only rather than on its own
  • rkufeke
    rkufeke Posts: 73 Member
    Ok, next question. What are your macros when you are zero carb? Do you still aim to have 70+% fat, and the rest protein? I have to admit, I'm a little obsessed with making my little pie chart look right by the end of the day...
  • I am in.
  • Dragonwolf
    Ok, next question. What are your macros when you are zero carb? Do you still aim to have 70+% fat, and the rest protein? I have to admit, I'm a little obsessed with making my little pie chart look right by the end of the day...

Yep, that's about right. It doesn't need to be exact, though.
  • FIT_Goat
    You don't need to worry about macros. They'll take care of themselves.

Typically, I average about 22-28% automatically. You don't need to add fat or avoid it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Another question about vitamins... Is it possible that women need more vitamins than men? I know we do when growing a baby, but maybe it holds true in general as well? Any thoughts on that one? I'd definitely be taking a prenatal vitamin if I joined in(paranoid and proactive me likes to prepare for the pregnancy that's two+ years down the road..), but am seriously considering it.

You'd be interested in this -- http://myzerocarblife.jamesdhogan.com/wp/2015/02/eat-zero-carb-pregnant/

Also, this article seems to shoot down the idea that women need more vitamins than men -- http://www.intelihealth.com/article/his-and-her-vitamins-smart-medicine-or-marketing-ploy?hd=Medical

And my first thought is why would we, generally speaking?

Worried about folate and choline? Eat lamb or game, beef, pork, or shellfish for folate, and eggs, shrimp, and/or scallops (or just about any other meat) for choline. Iron? Eat red meat.

By all means, take it if you feel better doing so, but be aware that unless you have a deficiency, you're likely wasting your money. If you're concerned with deficiency, talk to your doctor and get tested.

Not interested in childbearing anymore for myself, but this was an awesome read - inspiring! Thanks for sharing it.
  • ChairmanWow
    ChairmanWow Posts: 44 Member
    I'm completely in on this challenge. I just read the rules @ http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/event/1206-meativore-may-advanced.

So...question. No mention of alcohol. Y'all gonna make me go a month without my nightcap?

Other than that, sounds great. The wife and I have been eating zero carb (or as close as possible) for the better part of three weeks and we both feel great. Looking forward to a month of challenge. Should help the habit really stick.

Thanks!
  • FIT_Goat
    Probably, yes.

How are you drinking that nightcap? Almost every mixer except water is out. I do sometimes have some scotch or bourbon in a black coffee. But, it really wouldn't be something acceptable for this challenge. :blush:

It's only a month. You can do it.
  • Dragonwolf
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Probably, yes.

How are you drinking that nightcap? Almost every mixer except water is out. I do sometimes have some scotch or bourbon in a black coffee. But, it really wouldn't be something acceptable for this challenge. :blush:

It's only a month. You can do it.

I didn't think alcohol was an animal product, last I checked, yeast was flora. ;)
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Coffee's OK, but no booze? That seems wrong somehow. :)
  • ChairmanWow
    I like a whiskey neat or a gin martini on the rocks. I gave up beer when I started low carb, and I find that wine doesn't agree with me anymore (i.e. gas and bloating). Straight liquor seems to be the only thing without any obvious effect. My weight loss has been consistent and other non scale victories seem to be rolling in as well, all while maintaining the habit.

In any case, of course I can give it up for a month (I say now hahaha), but I thought I'd check with the group since it wasn't explicit like some of the other restrictions.

Thanks for the feedback.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    I am officially out this round, as the other cook (ie, hubby) not only insists I need veggies, but has also realized that once I have food, I tend to quit cooking...
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,016 Member
    Twibbly wrote: »
    I am officially out this round, as the other cook (ie, hubby) not only insists I need veggies, but has also realized that once I have food, I tend to quit cooking...

Sounds like my DH. "You have to eat some vegetables!" Ugh. What am I? 3-years-old? Sigh...

I'm not doing the challenge either. Besides the carbivore husband, I can't live without my AS. Something I probably need to nix, but I don't make fat bombs with them, and I don't crave sweets at all. My sweet coffee, and my one Coke Zero are hard for me to get rid of. I need my caffeine because of the stupid chronic fatigue. I've tried to drink coffee or tea with just cream, and I can't do it.
  • FIT_Goat
    I thought I'd check with the group since it wasn't explicit like some of the other restrictions.
    5. Water, coffee, tea are the beverage options.

I thought it was pretty explicit. :wink:

Personally, I normally would allow a bourbon and water, or a scotch and coffee. I also allow dry red wines, although I've never actually had one. They are not off my list of acceptable foods. For the purposes of this challenge, they were excluded. It just simplifies the whole thing. One of the bigger issues with it would be it lowering resistance to temptation. Heck, I've done this a long time and the few times I've failed almost always start with me getting solidly buzzed or just plain drunk. It's harder at the start, so adding something that can cause me to fail (when I now find it pretty easy and natural) is not a good idea.
  • ruthieo7
    ruthieo7 Posts: 12 Member
    I have chia seed two spoon every other day with double cream. Can i still carry on with this on the challenge? daily carb not more than 5g
  • stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    Twibbly wrote: »
    realized that once I have food, I tend to quit cooking...

I tend to do this. He got home last night and asked what was for dinner. ... I had already ate my steak. (In my defense, he did tell me he was going to pick up something-- last night)

I'm going to try it. I don't know how it will go. I will have a very very hard time giving up the splenda and jello.... and the water flavoring. I really hate water.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    If I can have coffee I can do anything. ;)
  • Dragonwolf
    ruthieo7 wrote: »
    I have chia seed two spoon every other day with double cream. Can i still carry on with this on the challenge? daily carb not more than 5g

Chia seeds are plants, so no, they're not allowed. If it's not from the animal kingdom and it's not tea or coffee, then assume it's on the "off-limits" list for the duration of the challenge. That's what makes it a challenge.
  • JennyToy
    JennyToy Posts: 149 Member
    coffee, green tea and water get me by, and i used to be a huge diet soda addict :)
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    In June, we'll do the coffee, chocolate, and booze month. Wait, that was my old diet. :)
  • rkufeke
    rkufeke Posts: 73 Member
    Hopefully this isn't a dumb question... Is it ok to eat meat we are cooking together with veggies, say for example the pot roast I have going in my crock pot right now with beef broth, a carrot, a couple of celery stalks, and some dehydrated onion flakes (and I plan to add cauliflower to later)? If we just eat the meat is that ok? Since I'm the family cook, my kids and husband have gotten used to eating keto meals for dinner, but I can't expect them to go carnivore with me...
  • stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    I have a quick question as well. Does anyone have snack ideas? I am not at the point where I can go long periods of time with out eating.

I usually wake up about 4:30 and drink coffee until 10 or 10:30 then eat breakfast. I usually eat lunch around 1 and if I don't have a snack before I get home and start dinner around 5:30 I will be an angry angry person. My lunch is usually 2 eggs and a 1/2 tablespoon mayo. My snack is usually a piece of cheese and a pickle. That is enough to keep my happy until dinner.

Any suggestions?
  • ChairmanWow
    If we just eat the meat is that ok? Since I'm the family cook, my kids and husband have gotten used to eating keto meals for dinner, but I can't expect them to go carnivore with me...

I can't imagine the meat absorbs carbs from the veggies. I read an article from America's Test Kitchen once that suggested that even when marinating meat overnight in a sugary sauce, sugar only remains on the outside of the meat. It does not penetrate. So I think you would be fine eating anything braised.