Maybe We Should Have A Meat-Only May Challenge?

Options

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Everyone serious about this challenge should start with the following book: http://highsteaks.com/the-fat-of-the-land-not-by-bread-alone-vilhjalmur-stefansson.pdf

If you read nothing else, read Chapter 4 (page 60-89): The year long study and the results. You'll find that almost everything most people wonder or worry about was addressed back then.

Chapter 3 (page 40-59) is also good. It's Stefansson's experience in the arctic.

Actually, the whole book is excellent. I recommend that everyone read at least through page 177. After that, it gets into a lot of detail about pemmican. It's extremely interesting, but not exactly necessary unless you're looking to include that as well.
  • LaurenLK
    LaurenLK Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That is so funny. I am right in the middle of that book. :) He is an amazing writer, he makes the subject really enjoyable. I liked it when he called Bernard Shaw a "high income vegetarian" as, like, a slam.
    Thanks for responses from everyone. And if you get a chance I would really appreciate a list of meats as we are going shopping soon!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for that list of meats too!
  • rkufeke
    rkufeke Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Is B12 a vitamin you can get enough of from meat/eggs? I ask because I am actually borderline deficient in that one (at one point was very deficient- my level was 25 when the normal "low" is 250... I took a bunch of shots that time and got it back up to 550, but over the past 4 years it has gradually dropped back to around 250).
  • april731
    april731 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    One consideration for women of childbearing age regarding vitamins is that all women capable of becoming pregnant should be getting 400mcg of folic acid for the prevention of neural tube defects (spina bifida, anencephaly, etc.). I'm not convinced that you'll get enough folate in meat that it will be the equivalent of 400mcg folic acid. Just a thought.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I tried to make a list of meats, but it was just too long. I love them all. I normally stick to some variation of chuck because it's fatty and cheap. Ribeye is great. Lamb rocks. Most fatty pork is great. Chicken is "ok" as long as there's skin and fat. Fish are good too. Seafood, yep, I love it.

Anyway. I can't make a good short list. If it looks good, try it.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    april731 wrote: »
    One consideration for women of childbearing age regarding vitamins is that all women capable of becoming pregnant should be getting 400mcg of folic acid for the prevention of neural tube defects (spina bifida, anencephaly, etc.). I'm not convinced that you'll get enough folate in meat that it will be the equivalent of 400mcg folic acid. Just a thought.

You need that much folic acid, because it's poorly absorbed and requires conversion. You can get about that much in folate, with has far more bioavailability, from 100g of lamb.
    rkufeke wrote: »
    Is B12 a vitamin you can get enough of from meat/eggs? I ask because I am actually borderline deficient in that one (at one point was very deficient- my level was 25 when the normal "low" is 250... I took a bunch of shots that time and got it back up to 550, but over the past 4 years it has gradually dropped back to around 250).

Yes, in fact meat is the only reliable source of B12. Getting rid of grains and legumes, especially (and the other plants to various extents) will help you absorb the B12, as you're exposed to fewer phytates, which bind to several nutrients and decrease absorption.

You might want to include some liver, which is packed with vitamins of all sorts.
  • Dragonwolf
    edited April 2015
    Options
    LaurenLK wrote: »
    Thanks for responses from everyone. And if you get a chance I would really appreciate a list of meats as we are going shopping soon!

Any and all of it, the fatter the better. ;)
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I take the B12 because I have had Gastric Bypass. Anytime you have surgery that reduces the size of your stomach, it reduces your ability to absorb nutrients from food. Also the bypass shortens the length of them small intestine where nutrients are also absorbed. So, I take these vitamins for life. It will be interesting to send my labs next month.

Thank you Fit_Goat! I feel I'm getting in the swing of this pretty good.

I believe I will be up for the challenge by the first!
  • rkufeke
    Options
    So would it be better to gradually move in the zero-carb direction (from keto) between now and May 1, or just jump right in when the challenge starts?
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I have no idea how well being carnivore will work for someone who has had bariatric surgery. Meat is nutrient dense and high in protein, both thing that should prove beneficial to those who have had the surgery. Beneficial enough to be the sole source of nutrients? That only careful self-experimentation could answer, and even then it would only answer the question for that one person.

I think you will be fine. But, I would be much more cautious about watching for negative symptoms. I would also talk to my doctor and get on a regimen for monitoring nutrients closely for at least the first few months.
  • Dragonwolf
    edited April 2015
    Options
    rkufeke wrote: »
    So would it be better to gradually move in the zero-carb direction (from keto) between now and May 1, or just jump right in when the challenge starts?

Depends on where you're at right now and how much of a jump going carnivore would be. I pretty much dove in head-first, but I already don't eat a lot of vegetables unless I'm going out to eat or something.
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I take the B12 because I have had Gastric Bypass. Anytime you have surgery that reduces the size of your stomach, it reduces your ability to absorb nutrients from food. Also the bypass shortens the length of them small intestine where nutrients are also absorbed. So, I take these vitamins for life. It will be interesting to send my labs next month.

Thank you Fit_Goat! I feel I'm getting in the swing of this pretty good.

I believe I will be up for the challenge by the first!

Yes, you (and other gastric bypass patients) are the exception to all vitamin rules. That would be considered extenuating circumstances and you're expected to use your own judgement on such advice. All talk in this group should be considered "recommendations for people who do not have extenuating medical needs," unless otherwise specified.
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    AnarchoGen wrote: »
    I was thinking about joining but since my body doesn't agree with dairy, there's absolutely no way I could do this without plant oils. I'll keep doing my own thing.

i am doing zero carb with no dairy.
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    well, i still include butter, but you can also use ghee. and if it's about cooking oils - i agree with dragonwolf above.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    The diet recommendations, for me as a post op bariatric patient, were protein and veggies with minimal carbs. So, I feel that I am following doctors orders anyway. Just adding some fat and less veggies. I know that life threatening issues will occur if I don't take my vitamins, so no worries there. Will be seeing my doctor and nutritionist next month. Will be having labs drawn and I'm anxious to see how they look. Thanks everyone!
  • Jennym93
    Jennym93 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Is milk ok in small amounts for this?
    I was thinking 100ml limit daily, that might be a bit high.
    If not is there a better alternative for in tea I tried cream instead but it was awful
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Jennym93 wrote: »
    If not is there a better alternative for in tea I tried cream instead but it was awful

100ml of milk will be around 5g of carbs (depending on fat content). It is an animal product, and is allowed for that reason. But, I wouldn't recommend it for most people. Everyone is different though. You can certainly try it and see if it impacts your own weight loss or hunger.
  • Jennym93
    Jennym93 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Jennym93 wrote: »

100ml of milk will be around 5g of carbs (depending on fat content). It is an animal product, and is allowed for that reason. But, I wouldn't recommend it for most people. Everyone is different though. You can certainly try it and see if it impacts your own weight loss or hunger.

Thank you I'll see how it goes but keep milk to tea/coffee only rather than on its own
  • rkufeke
    Options
    Ok, next question. What are your macros when you are zero carb? Do you still aim to have 70+% fat, and the rest protein? I have to admit, I'm a little obsessed with making my little pie chart look right by the end of the day...
  • VartorTheBarbarian_
    Options
    I am in.