Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Been busy and haven't had time to catch up till now. Glad to see taeliesyn and MM are back running, and Diana you are doing great!

I have been following an Asics plan. I'm not sold on it at the moment but everything I have read about them is positive so I am going to stick it out. It is broken down into sections, I am on preconditioning which is basically running 8km 3 times a week, which I find very boring and time consuming. On the 6th I move onto balanced training which starts off as a mixture of 6km and 8km runs and moves onto all 8km runs. Not very exciting as I only have one 8km off road route.

My daughter came out running with me yesterday and today she made me get up at 7am so we could work out. Did I mention she is only 11! But sports day is coming up next month and she is very competitive.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Romy. nice to see you back.

Got a 10 mile trail run in after the storm breezed through. Downside is that I had a tumble transitioning from a muddy trail section to stone. Missed the angled rock and went down. Hip and shoulder sore with grazes down bicep, calf, thigh and hand. Got up and carried on running and still managed best 10k, 15k and 10 mile times for me. I wonder what tomorrow will bring.

Have fun
  • romyhorse
    Options
    Hope you are okay Robbie, I almost fell yesterday, tripped over a tree root. Our weather has gone from 23°C on the 29th to sub zero and heavy snow on the 27th! Since then it has been bitterly cold and going out running has been a thought. Hoping for better weather next week.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    No running here lately, but I did ride my bike almost 75 miles yesterday. Planned to run today, but my legs tell me otherwise.
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Ran the path for my 5k race this coming Saturday and completed in 38:09. Personal best for me. Nice easy flat course. I'm excited for my first race!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Romy, thanks, stiff and sore this morning. NSAIDs already taken, hoping to get out and shake it down in the next hour or so but need the NSAIDs to kick in though. I know it's not bad because as I move something else hurts. Man flu moves to man injury. I hadn't appreciated how bad that weather front was, due to the royal baby and the election, I am trying to avoid the news channels at the moment. Have fun.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Gotcha regarding speed Robbie, bugger about the fall mate, but good work on the new PB's Hope you heal up quickly.

MM, glad your runs are still coming along, even if it was a slog. A lot of trail races/tracks/etc don't require trail shoes, the recon was a good idea and hopefully makes it easier to decide on the shoes.

Romy, hope the plan works for you, and remember you have two 8k routes, one in each direction (unless it's an out an back.. then yeah sorry!) I can't imagine that sort of weather, hope it clear up for you!

Great work on your 5k Diana! You'll rock your race! :)

Gotta listen to the body at least some times Ceci :) Glad your ride went well.

Well I did the intro session of the Zombies, Run! 5k training plan tonight. Intro doesn't have any set walk/run breaks, so I pretty well walked during story stuff and ran during the rest. I can really tell I worked my calf/shin at the moment, so going to massage and hit with some deep heat stuff. Still everything felt good, so hopefully I'm ok to do another short session on Wednesday, which being a 5k training program means more walking than anything.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So this morning I did the Harewood Forest 10K, beating my previous time on the course by three minutes, coming in at 55:43 on my Garmin. I decided to go for my Saucony Xodus trail shoes, accepting that a bit of a hard surface in the middle third was the preferable compromise. The steep climb away from the start, and corresponding fast descent on a loose gravel surface made it the right choice. My road shoes are only an 8mm drop, cf 4mm for the Xodus, but coupled with the smooth outsole I wouldn't have made the speed on the descent that I needed to reel in three others.

I started reasonably far back, so ended up quite crowded. A couple of small groups made it quite congested initially until the climb out started to take its toll and space opened up. I still only made a 6 min/ km in that stage but once it opened up I made some progress. Ended up solo for most of the race, with a large pack behind and a pack in front that I only gained in the last km. At about the 6km point I was starting to think I'd gone out too fast as I was struggling a little, but stopped at the water station to swallow a cupfull before knocking out some pace on a lovely downhill through the forest. Bluebells out carpeting the place.

Waited at the finish line for a little while, I think the later runners were still coming in at about 1:20:00.

Rather happy with that, although a little disappointed not to get sub 55 minutes. If I can start next season without the disruption to training from chest infections then getting down to about 52 minght be achievable.

There were some flyers out on the cars afterwards for a couple of 10k road races coming up after my next HM at the end of the month, so I might plan one of those to see what my PB could be on a flatter surface.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Having car trouble, so ran a 5k around my neighborhood yesterday (30:47). It is getting hot enough that I need to start running before work rather than after!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    MM, nice going on the 10k, interesting to see your account and thought process. Here's hoping you get some better luck next season.

Ceci, nice going on the run around the block

Taeliesyn, good to see you back on the running trail and enjoying Zombies Run. Hope the injury holds up and that you don't overdo it.

Had a nice recovery run, the first 1 mile was hard due to being stiff from the tumble, but it loosened off. Felt tired and stiff later on in the day, but played sponge ball tennis with the boys for an hour and then used a kick scooter to get back from the tennis court.

Today was the first truly disappointing session I have had for a while. A tempo session where I could just not get to the pace. No matter what I tried I just could not get there, cadence was ok, so assume that the stiffness from Sunday was slowing me down. I was also trying to use the Skoras which might also have contributed. Another recovery run tomorrow, so will try to understand whether it is a hangover form the tumble or whether I have pushed myself too hard. Feel ok otherwise

Have fun

• ftrobbie
    Options
    It will went well until the calf said no. A recovery run this morning which I struggled to get going with. The flow is just not there. Fourth day on the trot with either no drop or minimal drop shoes (3mm). I think my calf has just had enough. Unlike a couple of months ago, rather than running through the pain, I made a quick assessment and discretion became the better part of valour, I walked the remaining mile or so home. I think a few days back in the sublites might help out but will reassess tonight.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Robbie, I generally find my calves much tighter after using my Xodus. While it's only a 4mm difference in height it seems to have a significant effect.

Tonight was a 10k easy paced session, along the Thames and back through BAttersea park. Very gusty which made some of the run a bit unsteady, but nice to get out after a fairly long day in the office. I'm just transitioning to a new programme so lots of contract material to be read today. I was going a bit squirelly by the end of the day. That said, my calves are suffering a bit after the race. It was hard work.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Robbie, I generally find my calves much tighter after using my Xodus. While it's only a 4mm difference in height it seems to have a significant effect.

I'm pretty sure that has caused it but I thought I had built enough strength in them, clearly not. Spiked ball, heat and compression has worked wonders but have decided to give it a complete rest today rather than aggravate it further with another easy run. See what tomorrow brings.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Ok, so I reset my Zombies, Run! Zombielink account, which means tonights run was a repeat of Mondays. It was basically an interval session, but as my fitness is still returning it wasn't at great speed. The 'rest' period was varied, the run sections worked out to be pretty much 4min intervals. I did set a new CR on Strava and got a 2nd best time ever for another segment.
    I can feel my calf/shin not being happy currently, but nothing major and hopefully all will be good for parkrun on Saturday.

MM Sounds like you had a good race, the first run or two after a race can always be fun ;)
    Ceci, Glad you got a run in, even if it is heating up for you.
    Robbie, bugger about your fall, hope it doesn't hamper you too much. Wise decision on pulling the plug on your run and taking an extra day's recovery. It probably was just overdoing it with the 0 drop shoes.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Made it to my national park yesterday for a brick- 11 miles on the bike followed by a 2 mile run. Not very fast on either, but it sure was enjoyable (ok, the 1st half mile of the run was miserable, to be honest.)
  • romyhorse
    Options
    Ran the Colorado Women's Classic 10 miler today (virtual version). Was 10 minutes slower than last year but I ran walked the first 4km with my daughter and dog before heading back out of finish it off on my own. The first 4km was an average pace of just under 10 minutes per km, the rest was 7:20 pace which I was happy with as I had to walk a lot of the last 3km. Plus this year I ran off road which is usually about 30 seconds a km slower for me. Now putting my feet up and watching the Giro.

Taeliesyn, hope you got to run at parkrun today. Unfortunately my 8km route is an out and back. To make it worse it is uphill all the way out but there are high banks and trees either side so your brain doesn't recognise it is running uphill, it is a killer. At least I get to enjoy the run home!

Enjoy your runs this weekend and good luck Diana!
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Hope you had a good race Diana!
    Glad you had a good session, Ceci. I really need to get myself a bike.
    Sounds like you had a good run Romy. Bugger about your 8K. Is there some way you could do a 2x 4k loop or something similar, to just give you some variation?

I made it to parkrun, and I totally screwed with some peoples heads with my lol. Did the Zombies, Run 5k trainer. W1D1, so 10min power walk, then 1min walk, 15sec run. When I hit my run sessions was when I messed with everyone's head, as I was doing them in the 3-3:30pace range. Finished the session with a cooldown run, where I helped bring a friend home to a pb. Actually finished the 5k a little faster than expected, so I had to run around for a few minutes after I had finished too.
    Good session and it's left me with doms, but my calf feels good, the heatpack, deep heat and spiky ball probably have something to do with that. I'm hoping that as I progress through the program I can keep the 3ish pace, even as the runs get longer. Would be nice to return to fitness with a sub 20 5k time.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Hey nice runs everyone.

I tried getting out to parkrun yesterday morning but as soon as I applied any pace, my calf screamed at me. I bailed before I got to the start line.

Took the boys to junior parkrun this morning, and slowrunned with the back marker of the 2. They both got pbs and I got a gentle stretching out of my legs, 1.25miles in 16mins. I was supposed to have gone for a 12mile tempo session today but settled on a 40min gentle run around the deer park. The calf was tight but never got better or worse so I think it will be alright. Will do a similar session tomorrow to see how it goes.

Hope you all stay injury free, I now realise how miserable I got without my regular morning fix. Have fun
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I got a nice ride in with the girls on Thursday night and then my sore throat got really sore on Friday, so I opted not to run or anything on Friday.

Throat is still hurting, but otherwise I feel good. I managed a 10k run at the national park yesterday. (6.26 miles in 1:05:58) Storms rolling through today, so I went to see a movie!

I wish we had parkruns here. I have decided I'd rather run with people rather than alone sometimes at least.

A guy from work is back to training for a half after having been injured. He has a sticky on his computer screen that says "Goal: 2:30 - Ceci is faster" :smile:
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Hope all is going well for you Robbie, glad to see your listening to your body. Spiky ball, massage and heat will help :)
    Nice run Ceci, hope your throat feels better soon. I kinda wish I had some people to 'compete' with at work, I did have one running friend, but she transferred interstate.
    If you -really- want a parkrun, you could look into starting one Ceci. I've not gone down that path, but if parkrun US is anything like parkrun AU, you'll get more help than you know what to do with. Most Aussies are surprised when we realise how few parkruns there are in the US.

I did my next ZR5K session, this was done on the home loop, so it included hills. Uphills weren't too bad, and I'm happy with the pace set on them. When I had a run interval on a downhill though, I was a little nervous. My legs haven't had to run that fast in a very long time. It was scary, but scary good. I have no idea how the WR people can keep that pace up for a full 5k. I felt signs of my funky niggle, but they came in later than on Saturday and didn't last as long. Hopefully that's a good sign of me returning to normal running.

I'm also eyeballing a really really really stupid adventure..... http://www.ultratrail-angkor.com/en/ <-- yes I am contemplating the 128k option.