Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    ... it is that my calfs hurt so bad...

That strikes me as a gait issue. What style of running step do you adopt? Are you heel, forefoot or midfoot striking?

I honestly have no idea I haven't really payed any attention I think middle of my foot but I could be wrong. I tried it again today and same thing happened and I did my stretches so I am feeling very defeated.

Are you running on hills? Did you change shoes recently?
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Started Week 9 on Sunday morning, with the intention of speeding up a little AND increasing the time and distance I run for.

And the news is...

5.1 km in 32 mins 40 seconds!!

YES!!!!!! I DID 5K!!!!

How do I claim my prize?!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
  • rebeccatherine
    rebeccatherine Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    W3D2 completed. Felt pretty good. :)
  • interrobanger
    interrobanger Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Recently finished W3D3. This one was particularly hard for some reason. Probably due to the heat. Might have to invest in a bigger fan...

Really anxious about W4. The running intervals haven't been particularly difficult for me usually, but for 5 minutes this time?? I dunno man, I dunno. Also, I just joined this group. Hello everyjuan!
  • rainbow1974
    rainbow1974 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Week 6 day 3 this morning. Was ok... but I ran with earbuds and music for the first time... zumba music so good steady beat, but I don't know if I liked it. I just felt like the earbuds were distracting and a bit annoying. Anyway I managed the 22 mins but only covered about a mile and a half in that time. I am so slow. The app says I'm jogging at a pace of 11.5mins per mile but map my run has it closer to 16mins... which is correct??? The race is on 19th and my next run is on Monday... busy weekend away.... I'm not sure I will be able to run/jog the whole 5k....
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Did W3D3 yesterday, and being the numpty I am I decided to go for my run at lunchtime, on the hottest day of the year.....to say I struggled a bit is an understatement.... doh!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ... it is that my calfs hurt so bad...

That strikes me as a gait issue. What style of running step do you adopt? Are you heel, forefoot or midfoot striking?

I honestly have no idea I haven't really payed any attention I think middle of my foot but I could be wrong. I tried it again today and same thing happened and I did my stretches so I am feeling very defeated.

OK, it could be one of a number of things:

Tightness in your calves - It's worth a regular stretching routine, or use of a roller, to help that.
    Inappropriate shoes - I know when drop down to my lower drop trail shoes I can really feel it in my calves for a couple of weeks. If your shoes are old/ worn out or much lower, or higher, than you're used to then it could cause issues.
  • linzi02
    linzi02 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am in a slump. I have tried week 4 day 1 two times and have failed both times. I get thru the first half just fine but in the middle of my second 3 minute run I have to stop what is annoying me is that I'm not stopping because I'm out of breath it is that my calfs hurt so bad I can't do it anymore. Trying again tomorrow and I researched some stretches to do before and after so fingers crossed!

Don't worry! I got totally stuck on week 4 day 1 for about a week. Just keep at it and you'll get there, once I got passed that I have found the others easier. I really don't know what it was about that one but it just had me stuck!

Today I have done Week 5 Day 1 and felt it went well :)

• fit4life_73
    Options
    W8D1 done! Instead of running 2.75 miles I decided to do 3.1 :). Yep, this is my second consecutive 5K. I even set another PB at 36:53. I'm super excited. I think I have completed the program. I've reached both goals of the program by time and distance. I'm graduating today!!! Thank you to everyone for the encouraging words and support. I completed this program about 6 years ago and barely made the 30 minutes of running. After that I didn't have the desire to continue running. Since then, I've started and stopped this program more times than I can count. This time I decided to do distance instead of time. My focus was to run a 5k and not focus on the time. Week six is when I realized that I had exceeded the time goal. At this point I felt somewhat accomplished. There were many days I thought about switching to time because of I was afraid of failing the distance. Thanks to all the posts I read about getting out of my own way I was able to complete the distance goal by the end of W7. I officially feel like a runner! I haven't decided whats next for me, but in the meantime I will follow the first few weeks of B210K and work on improving my speed.

Thank you everyone!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Recently finished W3D3. This one was particularly hard for some reason. Probably due to the heat. Might have to invest in a bigger fan...

Really anxious about W4. The running intervals haven't been particularly difficult for me usually, but for 5 minutes this time?? I dunno man, I dunno. Also, I just joined this group. Hello everyjuan!
    You've got this! Just keep telling yourself you can do it. You might have to slow down a bit. Trust the program!
    Week 6 day 3 this morning. Was ok... but I ran with earbuds and music for the first time... zumba music so good steady beat, but I don't know if I liked it. I just felt like the earbuds were distracting and a bit annoying. Anyway I managed the 22 mins but only covered about a mile and a half in that time. I am so slow. The app says I'm jogging at a pace of 11.5mins per mile but map my run has it closer to 16mins... which is correct??? The race is on 19th and my next run is on Monday... busy weekend away.... I'm not sure I will be able to run/jog the whole 5k....
    1.5 miles in 22 minutes is a 14:40 pace. Seriously, don't worry about pace at this point. You will probably surprise yourself at an actual race and do more than you think you can, adrenaline will kick in! It won't really matter if you don't run the whole way, just have fun!
  • MusicalMelanie11
    MusicalMelanie11 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just killed W5D2! I surprised myself! Instead of being nervous for Day 3, I'm really kind of excited! :D
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I just killed W5D2! I surprised myself! Instead of being nervous for Day 3, I'm really kind of excited! :D

Congrats! It is exciting! And if you killed W5/D2, then you've got D3...no problem :)
  • krichard08
    krichard08 Posts: 62 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Completed W7D3 yesterday. I'm a little off schedule. I felt great about it!! Was definitely easier then W7 D1 and my pace even improved ever so slightly. Still going at a turtles race but better. 13:30 miles right now. I only completed 2 miles plus the 5 minute warm up and a 3 minute cool down ( i needed an extra 2 minutes running to make the 2 miles mark) in the 35 minutes, but I'm getting there.
  • fit4life_73
    Options
    @MusicalMelanie11 you'll do fine with d3.
    @krichard08 you're almost there. I wouldn't call your pace slow. My pace is 12:00 a mile. My goal is 10:00. Good luck with w8.
  • klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Did W3D1 tonight. Wasn't too bad, but 3 minutes definitely feels a lot more substantial than 1.5...
  • tslawson3
    tslawson3 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    W6D1 done!!
  • interrobanger
    interrobanger Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »

You've got this! Just keep telling yourself you can do it. You might have to slow down a bit. Trust the program!

I really appreciate the encouragement!! After agonizing over it all day, I said "*kitten* this, I'm just gonna do it!" And I did it! I felt halfway dead when it was over, and I jogged at a snail's pace, but I did the damn thing!! Just goes to show that it was all in my head, and I really didn't have to repeat W3 like I thought I would've. The mind is truly something else.
  • rainbow1974
    rainbow1974 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »

1.5 miles in 22 minutes is a 14:40 pace. Seriously, don't worry about pace at this point. You will probably surprise yourself at an actual race and do more than you think you can, adrenaline will kick in! It won't really matter if you don't run the whole way, just have fun!

Thanks... I keep telling myself it will improve in time ..... x
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options

Me too!! I did w5d2 yesterday, no problem! 2 years ago I couldn't get past week 5 and quit. This time I'm determined!! day 3 is mine!!
  • rajnigandha21
    rajnigandha21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    W6D3 done! Ran for 30 min straight!!