Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a rest day

1750m in 62 minutes breast stroke ...56 minute mile time. This is the first time I've done an entire workout with breast stroke. Not as slow as I thought.

Taking into account the advice of many of you I am trying to work in some sprints into my continuous swims. So today I sprinted on lengths 32, 48, 56, 60,62,63,64 (25 meter lengths). Working on a decreasing interval scheme which had me sprinting (or trying) 3 lengths at the end of my mile.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    750m free 22mins, 250m breast, 250m back, 5x50m free sprints 30s rest between. ( 60 laps =1500m Total )
    Did my Sprints at the end so the 4 & 5th were not very pretty. Tried to do another 250m backstroke but I just had nothing left in the legs for kicking so did a float test in the hot tub.
    Need to replace the old trunks with a new/smaller pair, can't tie them tight enough and starting to get a little water flow under the waist band when doing flip turns or sprints.
    Yesterday was a rest day
    Taking into account the advice of many of you I am trying to work in some sprints into my continuous swims. So today I sprinted on lengths 32, 48, 56, 60,62,63,64 (25 meter lengths). Working on a decreasing interval scheme which had me sprinting (or trying) 3 lengths at the end of my mile.

Good stuff Stephen. Were they Breast Stroke Sprints or Free?
    I don't do enough sprint lengths but I still mix a few in.
    LauraRae2 wrote: »
    Timed 100 (1:52)
    Timed 100 (1:58)

Total of 56 lengths. I was in the water 50-55 minutes, but I estimated that 40 was active. The other 10-15 were me gasping for air and getting water :D Just 16 more lengths to a mile!
    Great sprint times with only 6 seconds difference.
    I usually only do 50m sprints and will drop 6 secs on each subsequent sprint. So 6 secs on 100m is very impressive.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    2500SCM
    Masters squad

Was a bit nervous as have had two very bad days pain wise with the shoulder but didn't feel it at all while swimming. Then flipping sore after I hopped out!

2x 50 free 50 free kick 50 br 50 br kick 50 back 50 back kick

4x150 free on 2.30 (build last 50)

2x200 kick

4x100 free on 1.40 hold 1.20 (er have lost much fitness and pace so only held 1.22
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Rest of session don't know why only half posted!

4x50 IMO on 60

4x50 free on 50

100 easy

Coach reckons I might hold together until the North Islands in 3 months but will probably need the surgery soon after, which will write me off for the whole rest of the season
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Woke up late but swam anyway. My method of putting everything in the car the night before pays off again. It makes me say "Your stuff is already out in the car, you might as well just go". In all the years I have been getting up early to exercise, I have only rarely gone and fished my stuff back out of the car.

Swim - 30 minutes, 1250 yards. Two 500 yds sets, and then 50 each free, breast, free, back, free.

Love reading all the posts. You guys just keep swimming!
  • LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    LauraRae2 wrote: »
    Timed 100 (1:52)
    Timed 100 (1:58)

Total of 56 lengths. I was in the water 50-55 minutes, but I estimated that 40 was active. The other 10-15 were me gasping for air and getting water :D Just 16 more lengths to a mile!
    Great sprint times with only 6 seconds difference.
    I usually only do 50m sprints and will drop 6 secs on each subsequent sprint. So 6 secs on 100m is very impressive.

Thank you :-) I was shocked I only lost 6 seconds, actually. It was the end of the workout, I was beat, and my turns were slow and ridiculous because I was so tired. But, as out of shape as it is, my body is trained to kick it into high gear in the 7th inning...or the last sprint, as it were. It feels good to realize all that training is still in there, just waiting to come out.

Today is going to be a rest day, at least from the pool. I had a rib out for a few days and yesterday's workout got to the point of pain that I had to get into the chiropractor right away. Everything is back in place but the muscles are still sore from the rib being out so long, so I'm going to take it easy today.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    4 Mile wake up call :)
  • stephenrhinton
    Options
    35 minutes backstroke kickboard, 27 minutes breast stroke pull buoy ...one of the worst days for pool etiquette at my gym ever ...
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Good stuff Stephen. Were they Breast Stroke Sprints or Free?

It was all breast stroke yesterday including the sprints
  • greenrn
    greenrn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just starting out. Day 3 of treading water for 30 min.
  • juliet3455
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    4 Mile wake up call :)
    That's an impressive swim. Don't throw away that alarm clock.

@greenrn
    greenrn wrote: »
    Solid attitude we all started at some very basic level in the water. See if your Pool has some swim lessons for your skill/abilities and book yourself in. I found that the set days for lessons helped me get a "Swimming Schedule - Routine" and it became a Habit them.

It was a Big Exercise Day for me. 60 Minutes in the Swimming Pool,
    250m free, 500 breast, 250 free, 3 x 50 free sprint, 350m back.
    Then some slow laps with a few quick strokes to Accelerate into the wall for Flip turn practises. Didn't keep track of these. Still struggle in the shallow end as I don't have a tight enough flip and end up crashing into the floor of the pool 50% of the time. As one of the Ladies in the Triathlon Training Group said " I thought you were diving to the bottom of the deep end not doing a Flip Turn'.
    25 minutes on the Bike ( 9km and then blew a tire-had to walk it home ) and 30 minutes "Running (jogging), 5 mph (12 min mile)".

Darn Triathlon Training Group/athletes keep dragging me out for "just a little trip around the block".
  • mpeters1965
    edited July 2015
    Options
    greenrn wrote: »

Welcome. That's a good way to start!

[quote= Still struggle in the shallow end as I don't have a tight enough flip and end up crashing into the floor of the pool 50% of the time. [/quote]

I just learned to flip turn last summer and I was doing the same thing! Somebody told me to try to look at my knees as I turn and that seemed to help once I managed it. I still tend to sink some on the turn because I'm not very fast but I no longer head towards the bottom.
  • stephenrhinton
    Options
    20 minutes closed fist front crawl, 20 minutes backstroke, 21 minutes kickboard breast stroke
  • juliet3455
    Options
    Dragging the anchors or maybe it was a Piano tonight.
    A very slow 750m that was a struggle right from the first length.
    250m free, 250m breast, 250m back. Just didn't have the go in my mojo.
  • panhandle8
    panhandle8 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    2450y in 45 minutes with a rousing sprint set of 8-25's to top off the night.
  • mpeters1965
    Options
    Good work everyone! Dragging a piano burns more calories, right?

50 minutes mixed sets including drills and sprints. All freestyle. I think it was 1700yds.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    2.5 km 58 min
    Moral of the story - don't do sprint sets than take two days off!
    Your times will tank when you return :smile:
  • LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    3.5 hours in the water today - but in the yak, not swimming! Works a lot of the same muscles as swimming free does, and boy am i feeling it now. Tomorrow could be an interesting day in the pool.
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Spent the last week being sick/dealing with life. I'm planning on going swimming every day this week. I need to get back in the groove before the August 8th race I am apparently doing (whose clever idea was that???)
    30 minutes at the lake today - they said it was a 500m course, but it felt longer. I'm gonna guess 1200m total. Would of done a third go-around but I had to be somewhere (don't people realise there's swimming to do?)
  • juliet3455
    edited July 2015
    Options
    don't people realise there's swimming to do?

LOL Kida. I understand. I have a problem with a local group of Triathlete's who keep dragging me out for "just a little trip around the block" either running or biking, but most of them don't like swimming so I have a hard time dragging them into the pool.

Hit the pool at 1230 today - 750m free, 250m breast, 200m back. 2 x 50m free sprints, 55s, 30s rest, 60s. Not fast but after 1200m - not bad. Finished with a slow 200m breast. 1500m total.
  • stephenrhinton
    Options
    ok catching up ...two days ago was a drylander day my first ever spin class ....and some rowing after to round out the hour.

Yesterday 20 minutes kickboard breast stroke, 20 minutes front crawl pull buoy, 21 minutes backstroke closed fist

Today 47 minutes breast stroke, 14 minutes kickboard front crawl