Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Today is my 27th birthday, so I swam 2.7km. :) 50m pool. Gosh, I didn't realize how warm pools were. Much warmer than lake ontario, at any rate.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Today is my 27th birthday, so I swam 2.7km. :) 50m pool. Gosh, I didn't realize how warm pools were. Much warmer than lake ontario, at any rate.

Happy Birthday! Great way to celebrate. Our YMCA pool temp is hovering in the mid 80's right now. I'm reasonably sure it's warmer than Lake Ontario. :smile:
  • mpeters1965
    Options
    1800 yds. 50 minutes. All freestyle. 500 swim, 100 kick, 200 pull breathing by 5's, 200 drills - alternating catch up and distance-per-stroke, 100 kick, 200 pull breathing by 3's, 500 swim.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    4 miles.Includes 500 fins+ Kick board, 500 hand pads + Pull Buoy.
    The rest free style.
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Options
    1km for about 22 minutes. My arm is sore from yesterday because I used the paddles a lot.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    2.5 km 54 min
    I realised in the course of my swim that I had regressed back to something I thought I had put well behind me awhile back - not breathing out fully, and thus some element of breath holding creeping in!
    It was quite surprising when I realised what I was doing and immediately started ensuring that I was breathing out all the air by the time I turned to breath in.
    Helped me feel less constricted, presume it reduced the upper body buoyancy (thereby helping with body position), and just overall made it easier to keep the power going through the swim!

I'm now scratching my head and wondering how long have I fallen back into the old trap!
    You break these bad habits, but they are always itching to return :neutral:
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    1,700 mixed freestyle, back, breast + 500 kickboard "waddlekick" = 2,200 yards in 65 minutes
  • LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    1500 yds today.

3x 150 free/50 kick/150 free
    1x 200 free/50 kick/200 free

A total of 60 lengths - just 12 more until I'm doing a mile!
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    62 minutes backstroke pull buoy ....tomorrow is a rest day
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Got back into the lap lane after three weeks. Talk about rust, lol. Oh well. It felt good. I had been dreading it, thinking it would be worse than it was. Truth be told, I wasn't swimming well, but the water felt so good, I just kept going. 15 min freestyle laps interspersed with pull bouy, then 60 minutes of Kim's kick *kitten* water fitness class.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    LOTS of great swimming, Folks - fantastic!!!! I've missed reading these posts the past few days, it's good to be back here. I've been getting some swimming in & a LOT of walking. The good news - since the lifeguard who does swim lessons can't do them in the scheduled time slot, the Board of the community approved giving those time slots to lap swim so it's now available Mon - Fri, saving me 2 hours driving a couple of days a week. While I still won't get my usual yardage in, it'll be enough that I can pick up pretty much where I left off when I'm back home & going to the gym.....
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    4 miles. If I ever get down to 1:30 per 100 I can do 5 miles in the morning :)
    Did some swimming muscle lifting at the gym last night as well as other muscle groups. A trainer showed me the dumbbell pull over. The motion really focuses on the free style pull muscles. Felt good.
  • LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    1650 yds

200 free/50 kick/50 back/100 free w/pull buoy
    Timed 50, 0:54
    Timed 50, 0:51
    Timed 50, 0:51
    250 free
    Timed 50, 0:48

Two things - one, can someone teach me how to swim on my back in a straight line?! I am all over the lane. It's ridiculous!

And two, how in the world did I cut time at the END on my workout?!
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Options
    LauraRae2 wrote: »
    can someone teach me how to swim on my back in a straight line?! I am all over the lane. It's ridiculous!
    One thing I did when first learning backstroke, that was more about getting the "s" shape under the water but helped me stay in a straight line, was using the lane rope. When doing the bottom part of the "S" shape I'd grab hold of the rope and push myself along. It forces you to swim right by the line.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayHmfsLKnyg

• gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    That's good Mac, I can go wiggly too Laura but I concentrate like heck on ceiling patterns to stop it, oh old habits die hard AQ!

And i know what you mean about a gap Curly. I did my first half decent swim for a bit today - about 45 mins before went to play with my daughter and nothing special lengthwise. The pesky shoukder, the kitchen painting (aggravated shoulder) and then mum in hospital - again - mean it's been a bit quiet on the maxing the Pool membership front. Hey ho.
  • mpeters1965
    Options
    1500 yds this morning. 45 minutes or thereabouts. My neck/shoulder/upper arm is bothering me but I'm not sure if it's swimming related or something else. I'm trying some different things to see if I can get it to stop. It was a beautiful morning out at the pool though. :smile:
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    4 miles. All free style. 3x2000, and 1050.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    20 min mixed freestyle and free with pull bouy before class. About midway through, I remembered Stephen's comment about "resting" with each breath. I was sharing a lane with an older woman with an incredibly slow, rhythmic stroke rate. It was mesmerizing me. I wanted to be her. I decided to try Stephen's trick and it worked. It was totally psychological, I think, but I slowed my stroke rate, and just got into a groove. I was kind of bummed that I had to give up my lane for class. But them Kim worked us hard again, which is always good.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    2.5 km 56 min
    Great to read all the posts and all the swimming going on!
    :smiley:
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    2400 y in 70 minutes: 1900 mixed freestyle, back/breast + 500 kickboard