Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Good to see you back @ftrobbie and @taelisyn. I was wondering about the marathon training too.
    Agree with @Just_Ceci ...the tedium of long training runs is a big put off for me. Finding time for the B210k long runs is proving to be difficult enough.
    Did a 4.5 mile run today to complete Week 11 of B210k. Hoping to start Week 12 on Thursday and do the parkrun on Saturday.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    @Just_Ceci Be worried when I actually enjoy swimming. I could do triathlons then. More seriously, I need to get some non running CV done to be able to cope with the Ultra. A minimum of 4 hours a week on a bike replacing 2 hours of sitting in a car and 2 hours of easy running, seemed a good compromise. It's not love, just expedient. Have fun and one day I might love my bike as much as you do yours. Take care.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    Still a reasonably good night. I just need to pull my finger out and push through the uncomfortable parts of a run, especially during training.

Don't be too hard on yourself, a half marathon on a school night, that's a win on it's own in my book.

Thanks for the kind words mate, but I really do need to harden up on my runs. Since my injury woes earlier this year I've done very little truly hard running. Last year I was doing 6x1k intervals at 4:15 pace with about 3min recovery. They sucked, I wanted to give up from about 750m onwards (earlier as they progressed) but I pushed through. I'm struggling with the drive to push through on intervals like that, or harder than comfortable runs currently.

@LLduds great work on your 5k :)
    @samra338 you may find eventually you rework your schedule for your runs, I know I often do this, and god help anyone who tries to get me to do something else on a 'run night'
    @maggiekat7 That's a cracking km :) Don't worry everyone's brain can be an @$$ at times
    @Fit4_Life WHOOT WHOOT!! It's great to see/read when someone decides they really want running in their life. It won't take you too long to get back to where you were.
    @DianaLovesCoffee Well done on your 5k, it's hard to hold back and run your own race when it feels like everyone else is leaving you behind.
    @Just_Ceci Never say never, one day you might get that magical long run and then decide you want to keep going :)
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    It's not the tedium, I actually enjoy contemplating things and enjoying the surroundings when out. I tend to do long runs on new routes. It's the time. They just take so long and at the end I feel drained physically. I am not going fast at least a min/mile slower than my HM pace sometimes 2min/mile slower. The short runs in the week after just feel sluggish. My next 2 long runs are the longest so from then on in, it will be about building pace. 8.5 weeks left, then I will take a break. MM wrote about training for a long time without a break. At the end of September I would have run 64 out of 68 weeks, 2 weeks non running vacation and 2 separate bouts of illness. October will largely be run free, I need the break mentally and physically. Have fun
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Slow short run with the Hubs who's on W4D3 of C25K. Late evening and hot with lots of mosquitos. Could feel the need/want to do more but time would not allow. W10D3 for me tonight no matter how late.
  • maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i'm entirely inspired by all the experienced runners here. pretty sure i'll need to stop at 10k distance runs as i have to fight the way my body is built to continue running, but it really does help light a fire under my butt when i feel myself dragging in the last bit of each session. mad props!

i had a GREAT run this morning (despite the hot sun and heat) and the 4am wake-up to clean up my 3-year old who is now sick with a tummy bug. farthest distance to-date at 7.53km and earned myself a new pb for 5km (31m:33s - which included a 1 minute walking break)! last run of week 10 in a day or two. i find now that i'm running farther my body is complaining a bit more. i look quite comical i'm sure, running along the road with my ankle wrapped and my elbow tendinitis braced. :p
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I ran I went for a run yesterday. The plan was to do 2 miles: jog a mile at 12 min/mile and then do w6d1 of c25k. I completed the first goal
  • fit4life_73
    Options
    ***continuation......
    ....and ditched second goal. I decided to jog 1/4mile and walk 1/4mile at varying speeds for the jog. On the second walk break I noticed I didn't need that long to recover so I cut it to 1/8. Then a light bulb came on and a little voice said try jogging at a slower pace to recover then increase the speed back to a jog. I was able to do that for 1/2 mile. I was near the end of my workout when I had this epiphany
  • fit4life_73
    Options
    ***continuation......

I like structure so that I can guage my progress. But I'm very hard on myself if I can't stick with the plan and meet goal. For now, my new goal is to just RUN. And my plan is NOT to have one. Each run will be 3 - 4 miles. I will slow down when I need to and walk if I have to. No pressure.
  • fit4life_73
    Options
    Sorry for multiple posts but they kept getting cut off
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    @DianaLovesCoffee It is great that you are running with your husband. I can't get mine to do anything remotely athletic with me! He bought a bicycle the same time I bought mine, rode it twice and sold it!

@fit4life_73 That's a great goal! You really do have to figure out what works for you and do it!

@maggiekat7 Great run!

Should have run yesterday, but I rode instead. So hot here! I can tolerate the heat on the bicycle, not so much running. I've pretty much decided running will happen more in the winter and am looking for a spring half marathon to run. I still plan to run a couple of times a week, but that will probably be in the gym until this heat breaks.

Have fun!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I may be about to succumb to the siren call of another trail half in winter...

The Jurrasic Coast, complete with mandatory kit list. I'll do anything to justify a new pair of running shoes.
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Discovered running is a head, heart, and body activity. As long as I've got 2 of the 3 in sync I do ok. If I can get all 3 going in the same direction at once I'll be unstoppable!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    MM wrote about training for a long time without a break.

I think it becomes a bit of a progressive issue as the training volume increases. Even with cyclic training and cutbacks it just takes it out of you, particularly when you're in deficit.

Life also gets in the way, I'm rather looking forward to having time to train again from next week
  • fit4life_73
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Today I increased my workout to 4 miles. It felt great to just run and walk until I reached my goal. 55 minutes on my feet and I am beat. ☺️ it was a great workout.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    @MeanderingMammal DOOO EEETTTT! you know you want to ;)
    @fit4life_73 Great session :)
    @DianaLovesCoffee That's a pretty good summation of running

Well last night it was mega rains and storms here, lightening even struck the powerlines across the road from the house. It was still going this morning. I'm hoping everything eases up today as I'm planning a 16mile(ish) trail run tonight. Trying out some (2nd hand) new shoes. Track should be nice and muddy, could make things interesting.
  • fit4life_73
    Options
    @taeliesyn I can't imagine running 16 miles. I hope the weather cooperates for ya.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    @fit4life_73 16miles is about my limit currently. Before my injury issues earlier this year, I was generally doing 1-2 14-16mile runs a week.
    Give it time and you'll be out there doing those miles before you know it :D
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Nicer weather this morning led me to my national park for an early morning run- 5k in 30:54. Lower humidity really does make a difference!

One of my cycling buddies has asked me to join her for a 10k trail run on Sunday. Seriously considering it.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Well I didn't make my goal of 15-16miles last night, I did make nearly 12miles, but I honestly don't care. When I started out it was still daylight, but then the sun went down and the full moon came out. The last 3-4 miles were done entirely by the full moon light, didn't even use my headlamp.
    I'm not sure running gets much better, flying down trails by the full moon light.