Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Just quickly popping in to catch up before I head off on my holidays. Glad to see it is so busy here! Too many updates to comment on but everyone seems to be doing really well. I have been following my physio's advice and adding on an extra km every run. I am up to 7km and will probably stay around that distance while I am away and start increasing my pace the week after. I should be okay for my 10km race at the end of September but I think I am going to have to shelve my plan for a sub-60 minute time. While I have been on the bench I have been concentrating on weight lifting and have lost 2% body fat which will hopefully help with my running a bit. Hope everyone has fun running and stays injury free, I'm off to Aviemore for a week of cycling, canoeing, pony trekking and hiking.
  • samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Just updated in the C25K board...Ran my second 5k today in 40:12...new PB with a massive improvement from last time. Of course, when you run your first 5k in an hour, there is only one way the time can move...lol...overjoyed! Moving on to Wk 12 of B210k next week. Happy weekend, everyone!
  • JSC145
    JSC145 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    @samra338 that is so awesome!! Did you sign up for that 10k too?

Did week 2 day 2 of b210k today. 5.6 miles including the warmup and cooldown. Longest distance I've ever done!! Helps that it was nice and breezy this morning. The humidity was killing me last week.
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Great work, @samra338 !! I'm scheduled for another 5K tonight. It isn't a timed event, so I guess I'll just keep track with my Runkeeper app. It's a "Blacklight Run" - apparently like the Color Run but the dye/paint they use is the kind that glows under blacklights. There are 12,000 people registered to go...I hope it isn't too hot this evening.

I'm still alternating 10K trainers - finishing week 3 of Active Network and week 11 of Zen Labs version of B210K. Honestly, I think they balance each other out....I consider Zen Labs the "long run" and Active Network the "speed run". I don't get as many miles on Active Network but it sure has made me start thinking about my pace. My first 10K is on September 19th so I have plenty of time for both.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
  • samra338
    Options
    Thank you @JSC145 and @LLduds...No, I haven't signed up yet, it's on Oct 25th, so, plenty of time. I want to see how much distance I am covering at the end of B210k before committing myself as that was the mistake I did last time. I was running less than 2.5 miles when I ran my first 5k.
  • samra338
    Options
    @JSC145 Great distance...you are almost there in terms of distance!
  • samra338
    Options
    @LLduds blacklight run sounds intriguing. Have fun!

Sorry, keeps getting cut off.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So I've spent the last two weeks on military reserve training, running a course. The food on the camp was grim, hence not logging. Equally too busy to do any training, so this evening I spent 45 minutes on my turbo-trainer doing a Sufferfest session; Half is Easy... A true HIIT session of 42 15 second maximal sprints with 15 second rest periods. I wasn't getting the same speed towards the end that I did in the beginning, and by the end my quads and hams felt like jelly.

I've decided to do the Jurassic Coast HM in December. At least it's called a half, although it's 16 miles... So I'm starting the cycle tommorrow with a comfortable little 4km, then an 18km on Monday night. Two HMs coming up, Clarendon in October and then the Jurassic. Both trails, so with Clarendon the main objective is to improve my time from last year, 2:07, and with Jurassic it'll be targeted around 3:00 as it's a pretty brutal route, as well as being 3 miles more than a half. My aim is to peak at 20 miles before that one, given the extra distance and the terrain.
  • maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    soooo . . . had to cut my last run of week 10 short. i think i've got a touch of what my little chappy just pulled through and instead of taking the long way home i bee-lined for the shortcut before things got dire! Only 6.6 km today - but i ended up running 4 km last night "for fun". i fully intended to just go for a walk to watch the moon rise and 5 minutes in without music, heart rate monitor or proper running clothes i just started running!

it was great. without music i was able to delight in an easy pace and now that i have more endurance i'm not too bothered by the sound of my own breathing. (please tell me i'm not the only one?) i did find a songza station that is a bit slower tempo (Ya'll Ready for This: '90s). takes me back to my uni days, but i didn't listen to that style of music then so it doesn't feel too stale yet. i think i'm done 'Rock & Run!' for a while. been hearing some of those tunes since i was a little kid. be kind, don't do the math. ;)

looking forward to week 11 - although i'm rather tempted to skip to the week where there are only 2 intervals and repeating those sessions a few times. would that be bad?
  • eyethree
    eyethree Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5K this morning. It was The Color Run. I was excited to run a 5K. I'm nearly complete with my B210K only two weeks left. So, I've been running over 3 miles for about five weeks now. It wasn't a timed run. No way it could be with four stops for color and thousands of walkers I had to maneuver around. It didn't much feel like a run but it was fun. I took my ten year old who's athletic but he wasn't interested in running with everyone else walking, he kept up tho.
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I went to the Blacklight Run 5K last night. It was very similar to @eyethree 's Color Run....not timed, several "color stations", and about 90% of the 12,000 participants had no interest in actually running. It was a bit frustrating because people were stopping on the course to take selfies/group photos and walkers would more often than not be blocking the entire path (with zero response when runners would yell out "On your left...." in an attempt to pass them). I timed myself with Runkeeper and got 33 minutes, which isn't bad I guess when you consider all the evasive maneuvering required to keep running around the walkers/photo takers. I realize this event was intended to be fun but it definitely wasn't my kind of fun...just frustrating. Anyway, lesson learned...I won't be signing up for any of these big 5K events again. Hopefully the 10Ks I have coming up will be more runner-focused.

Next Saturday night I am signed up for a 5K on the beach. I've never run on the sand before so it should be extra-challenging! Does one wear shoes or not for such a run? The event is to benefit the local animal shelter. They are serving beer and barbecue afterwards, so it should be a much nicer/calmer time then the bedlam of this weekend's event. Happy Sunday to all :)
  • eyethree
    eyethree Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    @LLduds our fun runs sound identical. Selfies, no one making room for runners. Good job on time for you! It was impossible for me to come out with a decent time. My boy wanted to stop at each color station, he wanted me to walk parts too. He's a soccer player so I expected him to be waiting on me, not the other way around.

I tried running on the beach last weekend and found it hard on my ankles. I only ran about a quarter mile. It wasn't easy. I ran bare feet and sank about an inch or more into the sand with each step. I'm interested to hear others techniques with this.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    @eyethree and @LLduds I've heard most of the big runs especially, colour and blacklights etc, or really any run where walkers and runners set off together, can have trouble with people blocking paths etc unless you get near the front.

Running on soft sand is weird, running on hard sand is just like running on dirt. Soft sand will work your calves more. Depends on the beach and the sand as to running barefoot. Medium soft or softer if it's safe I'd do barefoot (But you should be used to running barefoot or in zero drop shoes too) hard sand I'd probably chose shoes.

Sunday was an epic sufferfest run, trying to run at aerobic level for 60min straight, when I was a wedding the night before and only got 2.5 hours sleep is HARD. Lots of sleep yesterday, and last night and I nailed this mornings interval session.
    8x 4min (@ 4:09 pace) with 2min recovery walk (Well some guys did jog theirs, but that definitely wasn't happening for me this time round). All intervals hit at pace +/- 5seconds. I haven't properly looked at them yet on Garmin or Strava, so not sure how steady I was. Still much better than 4 weeks ago when I was +15 to 20seconds on every rep.
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hubs is on W5D1 of C25k so ran with him last night. Then 2 laps around the block (about 1/3 mile per lap) as fast as I could sprint. Total about 2.5 miles. W11D1 for me tonight - three 17 minute intervals. Should be about 4 miles plus the walking before and after.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Nice running everyone, don't have an internet connection for a few days and it takes 15 mins to catch up with all the news.

Quick update, not much running since the middle of last week, Thu/ Fri and Sat missed the planned runs. Sunday went out for a 18 mile long run on the North York Moors, it started in sunshine but after 4 miles I was running in cloud getting wet. Made the decision to carry on and it was ok (ish), however it was slow, I should have done 18 miles in around 3 hours but had only got to HM distance after 2hrs 30. It was obvious I was never going to get the 18 done, so planned the break after getting to HM. General advice is to not run longer than 150-180 mins as the recovery takes longer than the benefit you get. When I saw Strava this afternoon, I had not appreciated how much elevation change there was and the way out was running into a headwind, so I don't feel as bad as I did on Sunday. I'm sure it did some good. This morning had an easy run along the the same ridge route. I understood why it was difficult, I managed it but it was slow.

Hopefully you guys are having better luck with your running. Hopefully won't leave it so long next time!!

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So day two of my current plan was an 18km easy paced session. Didn't go well. I bonked at about 8 miles and had to run/ walk the last three. Even that was challenging, to the extent I could barely stand up in the shower.

I'm clearly still suffering from two weeks of military catering, as I'm pretty sure I just burned out of easily accessed fuel.

That said, it's really drawn into relief the value of decent shoes. Yesterdays 4km I did with shoes that have about 500 running miles and my legs felt it, tonights pair have 60 miles in them and feel much more comfortable.

• DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    We have a 1.5 mile (approx.) outdoor paved trail that goes around the perimeter of the YMCA property. Lots of use by walkers, joggers, bicyclists, dogs, roller bladers, etc. I swear it is uphill the whole way around! I'm going to go the other direction next time just to mix things up. 2.5 times around tonight for approximately 4 miles - W11D1.
  • maggiekat7
    Options
    We have a 1.5 mile (approx.) outdoor paved trail that goes around the perimeter of the YMCA property. Lots of use by walkers, joggers, bicyclists, dogs, roller bladers, etc. I swear it is uphill the whole way around! I'm going to go the other direction next time just to mix things up. 2.5 times around tonight for approximately 4 miles - W11D1.

The first part of my route is a slow, gradual rise. I really dislike it, but know it's good for me. Kinda like kids and veg. Ha!

I love that your husband is doing c25k, I keep trying to tempt mine, but he has yet to bite. A running partner would be nice some days.
  • maggiekat7
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I keep hearing about strava, so I downloaded the app and started an account. Um, that program is for real! I glanced at the segments, and they're all climbs (what the *@#?) and one of them is 13.3%! I'm so a beginner. I like my routes as flat as I can get 'em!

I was at the first workout of week 11 yesterday (had to do an evening run, was too hot in the morning by the time my husband was back from camping to watch our children) and I thought I'd take the strava app for a test drive. Well, I guess my phone doesn't like strava, endomondo, songza and zenlabs all going at the same time, because I couldn't get zenlabs to keep on the workout. So I ditched it.

And I just ran. I knew approximately where my walking breaks were happening from the previous weeks so for the first one I guessed a little bit after usual. But then something happened . . .

I found my happy pace (6:39 min/km avg). After the first interval I didn't feel the need to stop running. My heart rate was at a nice place, my breathing was good, and it felt wonderful to be running. So I just kept going. I ran out of route at just over 8km, so I stopped.

I ran for 54 minutes. With about a +/-1 minute walking break at about 35% through.

I'm rather pleased, and know it would be no problem to continue to 60 minutes. I'm super motivated to reach my 10k goal. Exciting times!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Maggie and Diana, you both seem to be making great progress, congrats!

MM and Robbie- a bad run is better than no run, I guess?

I ran in the gym yesterday, because I'm a wimp when it comes to running in the heat! 3 miles in 28:59. Fortunately, it should be in the low 70's F on Saturday when I run my 5k.