Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I was thwarted in my attempt to swim yesterday (who closes a pool because it's too hot outside?!?!?!) so I made it up today. Still can't get a mile under 30 minutes.

I can only get under 30 minutes if I use mid length fins for the whole swim :)
    Unless my aging body thwarts my effort, I hope to get under 30 as well. I'd love to get down to 1:30 per 100yrds. (45 seconds per lap.)
    That will let me swim 5 miles in the morning instead of 4. :)
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I did! I live on an island and we have some amazing swimming spots. I recently came across a hidden gem...a pond with so many rules enforced most people don't go except to exercise. No jumping off the dock, no touching the pond bottom, no loud noises. And I absolutely love it. It's quiet and serene and an awesome spot to swim. I swam the length back and forth which took me about 25 minutes and then just swam around the dock after :) will be going tomorrow too!

That sounds wonderful, I'm so envious! Enjoy your lovely pool :-)

I did swim today but I mucked up the gym times and missed the lane swimming. Had to do an hour winding around people splashing and playing in the swim for everyone section, but at least I got it done.

Tomorrow is going to be challenging as I have an appointment I have to leave for quite early, so I need to get up and go swim pretty early to get it out of the way. Fingers crossed :-)
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    2000m in 61 minutes ...47 minutes mile ...my 'personal best' ...but after like 6 weeks of drills it only a 1 minute improvement, so I'm fairly unhappy...
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    Did a mile in the pool. Felt pretty good. No elbow issues, shoulder a little weak but no pain. Nice to see Ms Cheshirecatastrophe paid a visit and some other new faces. Doing a triathlon (Olympic distance, not Ironman) next month.

I am doing a Sprint Triathlon at the end of August so I have a great respect for the Olympic or Ironman Distances.
    750m free 18:40 ( Sprint Triathlon Practise ) plus I added on 250m breast, 250m back to cool off and get a full hour in the water.

A big hello and welcome to the new faces, Always looking for inspiration and workout ideas from the other water dogs.
    2000m in 61 minutes ...47 minutes mile ...my 'personal best' ...but after like 6 weeks of drills it only a 1 minute improvement, so I'm fairly unhappy...
    Hang in there Stephen - I have had lots of Plateaus or training blocks ( swimming, running and biking ) where my progress seems to stop. That's when I would try to get some formal training/lessons. Usually by the time the lessons started I had all ready broke through the plateau. I find that my improvements will come in un-expected bursts - plateau - rapid gains - plateau.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Wednesday: 25 min of sprints.
    Thursday: 2.5 km in 57 min (and it was just an unbelievable struggle throughout - one of those days)! It really took mind over matter to get me through that one!

My weight has gone up by about 3-4 kilos over the last two months and stubbornly not dropped so I've been deliberately cutting back quite significantly on carbs, to try and bring the weight back down.
    Having been in maintenance for a good while - I guess you can only have so many milkshakes and pizzas and all sorts, before the scale starts trending up!

Have a feeling that the low carb is impacting on my strength in the pool though! Which is ok while I lose.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    2700SCM

Solo swim with the goal of clearing the head after a tough week including a young person I am supporting being diagnosed with secondary cancer
  • emmab0902
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Oops rest didn't post

200 free
    200 back
    200 free kick
    200 back kick
    200 free PB +15 (2.54)
    200 back PB +15 (3.09)
    200 free kick
    200 back kick
    400 mixed stroke
    300 pull
    2x100 IM
    200 easy

I'd like to say I cleverly paced the 200s but truth is they just turned out to both be 15s over PB lol (was aiming for moderate pace)

Feel less stressed post swim
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    2700SCM

Solo swim with the goal of clearing the head after a tough week including a young person I am supporting being diagnosed with secondary cancer

Sorry to hear that Emma! It's tough, and even more so when they're young!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    4 miles. All free. 3x2000 + 1050.
    Total for the year, despite 2 effing months in China is 380.7 miles (612.7km)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    2500 yards
  • LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You guys. YOU GUYS!
    I did it!!!!!! 42:42 nonstop freestyle mile.
    I DID IT!

The funny thing is, I didn't intend to today. But I felt strong so I just kept going, and once I got to half a mile I figured, we'll might as well keep on! It got hard around lap 30 (36 is a mile) but I pushed through and I made it :D

Now it's back to interval training for a while, I think. Time to start working on cutting that mile time down.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    2 lengths of an Austrian lake - yay.

Mmm - ok I fess up. It was small, artificial and cold - basically a very pretty, landscaped dammed mountain stream with stunning mountain scenery. I probably did 60m, and only managed to get my head under the water for the last 5 m.

I loved the outdoor ness, but could not take the cold ...or the murky colour ... Tomorrow morning it's the expensive hotel poor next door!

Still the swimming of last year has put me in reasonably good shape for hiking in the Alps.

A 4 hour walk with 600m gain in height isn't too bad for someone gradually overcoming, please God, M E. And 2 more reasonable hikes the next 2 days too...

• stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    LauraRae2 wrote: »
    You guys. YOU GUYS!
    I DID IT!

Woot! :o:):*

1700m for me today,62 minutes, mixed strokes, 15 sprint lengths

• Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Swam 50 minutes freestyle, then 10 minutes of kick boarding. God, how I hate kick boarding!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Swam 50 minutes freestyle, then 10 minutes of kick boarding. God, how I hate kick boarding!
    10 MINUTES?? Sheesh. I can barely eek out 200y some days. Well done, Robertus!
  • girlwithcurls2
    Options
    2 lengths of an Austrian lake - yay.

Mmm - ok I fess up. It was small, artificial and cold - basically a very pretty, landscaped dammed mountain stream with stunning mountain scenery. I probably did 60m, and only managed to get my head under the water for the last 5 m.

I loved the outdoor ness, but could not take the cold ...or the murky colour ... Tomorrow morning it's the expensive hotel poor next door!

Still the swimming of last year has put me in reasonably good shape for hiking in the Alps.

A 4 hour walk with 600m gain in height isn't too bad for someone gradually overcoming, please God, M E. And 2 more reasonable hikes the next 2 days too...

I. Am. So. Jealous. I lived in Germany for 8 years. I can vividly see what you are describing and I am wishing I could hike or swim with you! Enjoy!! Hiking the Alps... :blush:
  • girlwithcurls2
    Options
    LauraRae2 wrote: »
    You guys. YOU GUYS!
    I DID IT!

The funny thing is, I didn't intend to today. But I felt strong so I just kept going, and once I got to half a mile I figured, we'll might as well keep on! It got hard around lap 30 (36 is a mile) but I pushed through and I made it :D

Now it's back to interval training for a while, I think. Time to start working on cutting that mile time down.

YOU GO GIRL!. Now, like you said, speed it up! ;) No, really. You're awesome! :heart:
  • emmab0902
    Options
    2600m
    Masters Squad

2x50 free
    2x50 back
    2x (100 free 25 fly)
    15x50 free as 8 on 55, 8 on 50 hold 40 or less
    100 easy
    8x75 as 25 free 25 fly kick on back 25 fly
    4x50 back
    4x100 as 2x50 IM
    100 easy

Followed by 7.4km mixed swim to total 10km for this...

https://www.justgiving.com/Rosanna-Ogden-heartresearchuk-2015

Knackered!!!

• Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    2600m
    Masters Squad

2x50 free
    2x50 back
    2x (100 free 25 fly)
    15x50 free as 8 on 55, 8 on 50 hold 40 or less
    100 easy
    8x75 as 25 free 25 fly kick on back 25 fly
    4x50 back
    4x100 as 2x50 IM
    100 easy

Followed by 7.4km mixed swim to total 10km for this...

https://www.justgiving.com/Rosanna-Ogden-heartresearchuk-2015

Knackered!!!

10k?! Wow!!! Awesome work!!

Thursday was open water coaching. 1h One other person didn't have a wetsuit, though she normally does, so I want the only 'naked' swimmer. It was encouraging to me - I always feel so slow at these practices, but without a wetsuit we were close in speed.

Yesterday was a beach day. I spent probably 3-4 hours in the water and am as red as a lobster today.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    10 MINUTES?? Sheesh. I can barely eek out 200y some days. Well done, Robertus!
    Well I'm lucky if I can complete 200 yards of kick boarding in 10 minutes so you're probably doing much better than me. I hate kick boarding!