Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I used a plan from halfmarathons.net There are 12, 16, and 20 week plans. I did the 20 week plan with some modifications (subbed one run per week with hill repeats or speed intervals.) I use RunDouble to track distance, pace, etc. There is a "Fun Run" option with RunDouble and also various distances you can pick. If you purchase the full RunDouble app, it comes with a 12 week half plan also.
  • maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    LLduds wrote: »
    Sorry in advance for posting so much this week, but I just wanted to tell you guys that I got my first sub-30 min 5K this morning (29:18, to be exact). Today is actually my 3 month runniversary (started C25K in earnest on 6/1), so what a fitting gift!!! OK, I'll pipe down for awhile now :)

That's AWESOME! Nice work!!
  • maggiekat7
    Options
    Weather has been brutal lately. I just don't have it in me to run outside when it's this gross. I live very close to Vancovuer, Canada. My fall & winter are wet, windy and foggy. After drought conditions all summer, someone turned on the sky-faucet and forgot to turn it off!

I sucked it up and ran 5k on my treadmill last night. Might try to sneak a long run in this evening.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    @LLduds - Great work on the speed improvements! and extra conga rats on your 10k. By the time you finish your HM plan, you will probably be able to go sub 60 for a 10k. Great work on your 5k pb too :)

@Just_Ceci Try and push yourself to stick to your 10k improver plan Ceci. The improvements you'll get if you do, may help the motivation.

@moyer566 Sometimes the extra days rest helps. I'm sure the renfaire helped with carb loading too ;)
    There are a few run/walk HM plans available, but honestly if you're 7+miles in under 60minutes (I'm taking that time from the other comments. I don't know your program.) You don't need to run/walk a HM. Nor do you really need a run/walk plan. That's some fast paced running, heading towards 8min miles.

@maggiekat7 Good work getting out in the storm, just don't do it during an electrical or stupidly strong one. Safety first you know :). Good work on the dreadmill run and I hope you get your run tonight.

@MeanderingMammal Glad you got your run in. I like the Inov-8 gear. I just wish the vests etc were more readily available in Aus.

@fit4life_73 Hope you have a good vacation!

@ftrobbie Glad to hear running is building back up. Sorry to hear about the ribs.
  • taeliesyn
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Sorry for the novel ya'll, and sorry about the picture size.
    No PB for me this weekend at Perth C2S, but that was never the plan. Instead I was driving an unofficial 2hr pace bus for some fellow parkrunners. Met all 3 passengers before the race, although I did lose one before the start with the crowds. I picked her up again only a few km in.
    First km was a little slow, but that was better than heading out too fast, second km was horrendous due to the crowding heading into Kings Park. The rest of the race I was fairly happy with the pace, we slowed a bit on the uphills, and gained some back on the downhills. I would have liked to have ran more evenly, but I knew I was going to lose passengers trying to push up the hills. We still averaged out pretty close to target. About 14k in, one passenger was feeling good and left the bus behind, she came home with a 1:56 Net time. I had one passenger drop off the back of the bus around 17k in, although she didn't fall too far behind. I kept holding the pace on the dreaded hills, my last passenger dropped off the back, but I paused, let her catch up and got everything going, before sending her off on her own for the final downhill km and a bit. She came home on a 1:58 net time. I went back and picked up my last passenger, pushed her up the hill, cheered her down and got her and myself home in 2:02. A great day out, followed by much drinking at the pub after.

I also threw all self conciousness to the wind and ran the whole course with a set of pink bunny ears :D It was actually good fun, made it easy for my passengers to spot me when we did get separated and had a lot of the crowd cheering with "Go Bunny Ears!" and similar. I even wore the ears to the pub after.

hh9v7fkxzvqq.jpg

Mondays run was just a cruisey 10k to keep the legs moving after the HM. Actually everything felt that good I had to resist pushing out to 15 or 20k. Basically kept slow, with a few Zombie chases to keep things interesting. Then it was the puppy jog. We're on a cut back week, so back to 2km and I've set a pace alert on my watch (Actually set up a spare 'profile') for the puppy runs. So we kept it fairly steady. The monster is getting better with not stopping for toilets (She's like a male dog and tries to mark territory!).

Then last night was intervals and the group run. Starting a new program to bring my 12k time down. The session was 7 x 1mile @ 4:20 pace. Which works out to be a 7min mile. Actual pace for the intervals was 4:23-4:25, which falls inside my acceptable pace deviation of +/- 5s. Recovery was 4min jogging at 6:30-7:00 pace. First recovery I had trouble slowing down enough. On the second last I actually came down to walk for a few steps and again on the last which merged with the cooldown. A few moments rest/chatting after the cooldown and then into the group run. Good session and the legs aren't feeling too bad today either.
    C2S.jpg 160.3K
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Awesome ears.
    Thanks for the advice. @taeliesyn Glad your legs are feeling better. I'm not consistently over 7 miles but i think i will be by the end of the program. 8 min miles...i never would have thought

Finished week 12 d 3. Was a very slow run but it was hot and humid and I was having some rubbing issues. :blush: I only got 6.8 but i did not stop. so yay me
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Love the ears @taeliesyn!

Finished C210K last night with a full 60 minute run. Very slow pace but my goal was to keep running. With the 5 minute walks on each end I completed 5 miles which is a personal best distance for me. I did walk 3 times for about 30 seconds each just to catch my breath but got it going again quickly.

My plan now is to just enjoy running! I hope to continue to run at least 3 (hopefully 4) times a week. Usually a 3 mile run with at least one "long" run a week.

I'm currently reading about strength training so may pick that up when the weather turns too difficult to run.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    You guys are doing great! (Love the bunny ears!)

I ran with my friend from work yesterday at her pace and distance. She managed 2 miles in about 25 minutes. It was hot and steamy! Afterwards I rode with the faster girls for almost 20 miles.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    @LLduds don't aplogise, keep posting it was makes the place, well done.
    @taeliesyn I have never seen such a stern and scary set of rabbit ears, methinks you look like outrunning zombies. Loved the report and you are such an asset to the Perth running scene. Gad your runs are working out too.

Ride Tuesday happened and went well but todays run was cancelled due to a lack of careful planning and family duties. Back to the bike tomorrow and Friday so not sure when the next run will be. Want a long run on Saturday just trying to work out how to fit it in. and whether I can get another short run in before hand.

Good luck with your running and cycling

• taeliesyn
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    @taeliesyn I have never seen such a stern and scary set of rabbit ears, methinks you look like outrunning zombies.
    Hahaha, nope that's my where the F is some space. I'm losing more time than I factored for!

Great work Diana, once you get your running pattern stable, try adding in the strength stuff while still running. :)

Good running and riding everyone :)

• maggiekat7
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @taeliesyn : you rocked your bunny ears!

@DianaLovesCoffee : congrats on completing your program!!

I am reconsidering the running plan I've implemented. Because I'm trying to improve my 10K pace, I need to find long stretches of time for training. With back-to-school right around the corner, activities with the kids and a week of bad (really, really bad) weather - I just don't think it's practical timing. :neutral:

I went out for a 12k run this evening, hoping I'd found a window of clear weather and 7k in, it absolutely p*ssed rain. I was saturated and had to call my husband to come rescue me after giving it my absolute best for another 2k. Bonus, my pace REALLY picked up for the last two km!

I didn't start running until early spring, so . . . I have no experience with getting out in the bad weather. I don't think we were meant to be friends, the rain and I. :wink:
  • mbaker566
    Options
    no run, rest day. i don't like rest days. but i know i need them :disappointed:
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Adjusted my fitbit stride based on a known mileage. I ran 5 but my fitbit tracked 6.5. Running tonight another known distance so will be able to see if this is more accurate.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    @maggiekat7 I love running in the rain!

@moyer566 I think my problem lately is too many rest days :s

@DianaLovesCoffee That's quite a difference! Hope you figure it out!

I started physical therapy for my rotator cuff this week. Hoping for some relief. It doesn't bother me during biking or running, but kills me during some normal activities like brushing my hair. Of course, it's my right shoulder and being right handed, I use it a lot!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    @Just_Ceci I irritated my rotator cuff last thanksgiving. It's such a pain. It still gets inflamed now and then when i do too much aerial yoga
  • samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Great running, everyone! I have been reading all your posts, everyone is doing so well.
    After almost 2 weeks, I ran today. I was worried that I might have lost progress, took it slowly and ran for 55 minutes. 4.6 miles.
    Planning to start my 10k improver on Monday and hoping to do 2 or 3 runs a week for now.
    Happy weekend, everyone!
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    Options
    Did a quick 2 miles in the dark with a flashlight last night. Not very safe but I ran against traffic on a pretty lightly traveled road. I was also afraid of tripping. Probably won't try that again. Good news is that by putting in some long slow runs, my short distance time is much better!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    I run in the dark. sometimes, it seems very dark indeed.but i find it so peaceful and when i see other runners, we give each other a nod because we got up at 430am to become better runners.

i did w12d3. i felt like i had more in the tank which is good because 22 min is next. and then the scary-60 min run weeks. got to 6.95mi. still very humid. I think I'm excited to see what my distances will end up being. will it be the same or might i get a whole other mile in there.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Nice going everyone.

Re running in the dark, I use a headtorch with variable illumination levels and a focusser. It allows me to have a wide beam or tight focus and dependant on the light levels be able to adjust how bright it is. I also tend to have some Nathan clip on flashing lights and a Nathan visibility vest. The flashing lights help to make me visible to other road users and the reflective strips on the vest give other visual clues. The headtorch is so that I can see where I am going. I never run on roads/ shared cycle paths with headphones on just so that I can hear other road users coming. The disconcerting thing for me is wildlife that you hear scuttle away without seeing them. Well done for getting out and after a while you become attuned to running in the dark. Have fun

More commuting for me, by bicycle, not too much running, planning to get out this afternoon for a run.

Links for gear

http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/unilite-head-torch-range/unilite-prosafe-ps-h8-head-torch-with-focus-control.html

http://www.nathansports.com/visibility/led-lights/pulsar-strobe

http://www.nathansports.com/visibility/reflective-gear/lightstreak-vest without the lights
  • mbaker566
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Argh.i went for an east run to test out runkeeper. My health app on my phone is 2 miles an hour off nearly. Instead of doing almost 7 miles an hour, I'm barely getting five. Double checked with Google maps