Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    good luck

easy run and stretching this morning. it seems if i warm it up with a short run, stretching seems to do more. I slowly feel better
  • maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i am trying to figure out how to easily fit running into my day now that the sun doesn't rise until i'm standing at the bus stop with the kids and is often setting before my husband is home from work. i used to go at 6 or 6.30 in the morning and then be back in time to get my gang out the door, but now it's so dark here.

i'm rather timid to run in the dark, eerie (we have lots and lots of fog), early morning - and don't even get me started about the perpetual rain!

i haven't been running since last weekend (*sob*) and if i have to rely on the sun to run then i'm going to need to ditch my current training plan and just force myself to use the DREADMILL to at least make 5k at each session. either that or i need to relocate somewhere equatorial.

how are you all fitting your training plans in?
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I don't have the kidlets to deal with, so that makes it easier on me. However I've got no issues with running in the dark, or the rain. A good headlamp can help with running in the dark.
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Came down with an upper respiratory infection the last day of my San Diego trip and have spent the last week trying to recover; thus, I only ran once this week. And then comes today....today I took part in the most difficult running event I've ever done. It was the first in the Texas Bridge Series...basically running up and down a really tall bridge. Today was the Toughest 10K in Kemah...4 passes over a really, really steep bridge. I thought I was going to die (ok maybe a bit histrionic...but sit down and not get up for sure). Anyway, now I'm showered and plan to spend the rest of the day in repose :)

http://www.onetough10k.org

Here I am with my first ever race bling:

uzdim0h245kq.jpg
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    LLduds wrote: »
    Came down with an upper respiratory infection the last day of my San Diego trip and have spent the last week trying to recover; thus, I only ran once this week. And then comes today....today I took part in the most difficult running event I've ever done. It was the first in the Texas Bridge Series...basically running up and down a really tall bridge. Today was the Toughest 10K in Kemah...4 passes over a really, really steep bridge. I thought I was going to die (ok maybe a bit histrionic...but sit down and not get up for sure). Anyway, now I'm showered and plan to spend the rest of the day in repose :)

http://www.onetough10k.org

uzdim0h245kq.jpg
    I know that bridge- very tough! Congrats!

I really need to run more. 53.48 miles on the bicycle this morning and 27 yesterday!
  • maggiekat7
    Options
    LLduds wrote: »

uzdim0h245kq.jpg

Nice bling! Well done racing after a nasty virus. Enjoy your weekend of rest!
  • samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @LLduds nice work!
    I still haven't done my hill repeats, feeling a bit demotivated. Did some aerobic training, hopefully will get back on track this week.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Nice medal LLduds!
    I have my 10k race next Sunday. Feeling totally under prepared. I have only done 2 long runs since March! My pace on shorter runs is good and I ran 10k at an easy pace today in 65 minutes, but I don't think I will have the stamina to keep up a fast pace for the whole race.
    Maggie, I have 3 kids so I understand your problems. I am lucky that I only work till 1pm so I can fit in a run before my kids get home from school. If not I go out in the evenings and run round the town where it is well lit, but that might not be possible where you live.
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone! It's been so long since I posted, I don't even know what to say! I've been kind of lurking in the background throughout the summer, checking in every so often. Congrats on all of the progress and hello to all of new arrivals.

This summer was a blur of activity - we're into the 3rd week of school and I'm still wondering where August went! With the help of the local running group I was able to conquer that 8k wall that I kept hitting on my solo runs. They introduced me to the 10:1 which helped a lot in the heat and humidity.

Last week was by far the most eventful one for me. Wednesday was my long solo run - I did the whole 10k without needing a walk break! :smiley: Thursday night marked the start of water running. Saturday morning was long run with the running club. It was hot for 8am in September so we decided to do 10:1's. To my surprise, perhaps due to a touch of over confidence from Wednesday's success, I found myself struggling right from the start. By km two I was uncomfortably warm, by 5 I opted to take off my looser 'cover up' tank top (2 seemed like a good idea at 7am), by km 8 I was looking for a short cut back to my car! As I struggled up yet another sneaky hill, I had a laundry list of possible reasons for the 'bad run': heat/humidity; maybe I didn't get as much sleep as I should have; poor food choices the day before... I was lagging behind the group so one of the ladies circled back to run with me. We chatted and she mentioned our current pace (6:30/km) and asked my average. (7:30!) LOL - despite doing multiple 1 minute walk breaks (and one unscheduled 20 or 30 second one) I managed to hang in there and achieve more PR's in one day than I have most months! Fastest mile, fastest 5k, fastest 10k and longest run (we ended slightly over 11 km). I was one exhausted & happy girl after that run!

Happy Running Everyone!

Edit to fix "sneaky hell" to "sneaky hill"... though the description would have been accurate on Saturday. ;)
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Good to see a post from you again Skye! :) and WELL DONE!!!! on all the new PR's. Sometimes all it takes is a distraction to smash things out of the park.
    Great work on your progress, you'll be knocking 10k out as a regular training run before you know it.

Great work @LLduds

@romyhorse I've technically never run a 10k. Don't underestimate the race atmosphere to help carry you along!

@moyer566 Glad you seem to be mend!

Yesterday I did 13k on the trails with the guy I'm going to be pacing this weekend. I'm running the last 50(ish)k with him, in his 100miler. Good run, I took a few strava CR's although he may have actually taken them, if he ever uploads his run.
    I'm getting all twitchy having to taper this week, so I'm able to do the 50k with him. I still need to go for my run tonight, which will be just a few km with the pup.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    just two miles this morning. i couldn't get out of bed. Packer game went to nearly 11 and 4am just didn't seem feasible. 430 was. also, 108 sun salutations for International day of Peace did a number on my hamstrings. i can barely touch my toes right now.

I feel like I've had to scale back to recover, but i have to keep moving otherwise it all stiffens up no matter how much i stretch, hydrate and banana

Plus, i might be putting off this last week of the program. I'm not doing nearly as well as i did the final week of the c25k and frankly running an hour straight is intimidating and then technically, off to the half marathon training. it all seems intimidating right now.

great job @LLduds! and recovering from a cold. awesome!
  • maggiekat7
    Options
    my darling husband bought me a headlamp and i took it for a run tonight. i'm not sure if it was my anxiety or the novelty of running in the (spooky) dark, but i kept a steady 6 min/km pace for the entire 5k - finished just at 30 minutes!

now that i know i am capable, i guess i have no excuse to not keep going out. well, there is the rain excuse. i will continue to use that one when available. :wink:
  • mbaker566
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @maggiekat7 not an excuse :smile: . it cools you off. i might feel differently in winter, but i look forward to a nice rain
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    @maggiekat7 not an acceptableexcuse :smile: . it cools you off. i might feel differently in winter, but i look forward to a nice rain
    FTFY
    I really like running in the rain!
  • maggiekat7
    edited September 2015
    Options
    ceci and moyer, i admire your ability to enjoy running in the rain. i don't know if i'll ever reach that spot. does it help my case if i tell you i live in a coastal rainforest? or does that just work against me because my attitude should be adapted to match my climate?

:p
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    I love running in the rain too, and nope saying you live in a coastal rainforest definitely doesn't help your case Maggie :P
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    maggiekat7 wrote: »
    well, there is the rain excuse.

Skin is waterproof...
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Made it to the doctor last week to find out my achilles tendon is inflamed and I have a heel spur right where the two meet. I'm in a walking boot for three weeks. Next appoint is 10/5. While its feeling better and I'm not having any pain when I walk around without the boot, I'm going to hold off on any physical activity until my next appointment.

The plan for now is to eat as clean as possible and maybe start swimming in the interim.

I love reading all the stories :)

Keep up the good work everyone :smile:
  • mbaker566
    Options
    nope @maggiekat7
    all the more reason to get out there. the mist, the raindrops hanging off the leaves
    bf doesn't know it but i do plan to be running on our honeymoon roadtrip from portland to san diego. i cannot wait to run in portland and cannon beach and where ever we end up in northern california.

@fit4life_73 ugh, that's rough. i think i would go stir crazy
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I ran yesterday! 2.43 mi - 23:24 It was much better than I expected, since I hadn't run in a week!

I drug some of my girls from the bike group to my national park. After the run , we biked almost 14 miles. We saw a bobcat, a bunch of deer, and some suicidal squirrels. (Fortunately, the squirrels made the right choices and got out of our way!)