75 max
    75 recovery
    100 max
    100 recovery

200 choice
    200 back
    200 br

150 easy

My coach who still holds a New Zealand record joined in to pace me for the back end of the max ones. Not feeling lucky!

• 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I missed yesterday as turned up at the pool without a costume! Swam this morning and my chest is definately getting better - could do some slow breast stroke and crawl, but backstroke will be another week or so.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    1500 41:11

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    2nd Day back in the water.
    250m Crawl - Bi-Lateral Breathing
    250m Breast - Keeping Head in a straight line
    250 Back - A struggle after 30 days dry
    250m Crawl - Lateral -weak side breathing
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Unexpected life stuff kept me out of the pool for 3 days ....I felt pretty good about the swim, but apparently I was really slow

61m, 1800m, 26 sprint laps, mixed strokes
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Was looking forward to breaking the 3000 yard barrier for the first time yesterday but forgot my swim watch. I'm quite bad at counting so just gave up and went by time. At my slower pace from a few weeks back, I should have achieved that goal and more, but I will have to verify next time I can get a long block of time in the pool, maybe not until next weekend. Today I'll "rest" and do a five or six mile brisk walk.
  • stephenrhinton
    Options
    2100m, 61minutes , 28 sprint lengths, mixed strokes.
  • LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I forgot to post yesterday!!

50 minutes, 1 mile

800 yd warm up
    6x 50 side kick/50 pull/50 kick/50 sprint (:52, :51, :50, :49, :50, :50)
    200 yd cool down

Felt good to be back in the water - first time in a week due to a cold that had be in bed by 9 every night and unable to breathe!
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    1100 30:42

I'm training for a marathon next summer. Each time I do a swim workout, I'm putting a gummybear in a jar. That'll be my solid feed if I want it for the swim.

fnnz1rafirtg.jpg
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Cool idea, Noel! I swam 1500 yds this morning, mixed freestyle sets with some breaststroke thrown in. I wish I wasn't so terrible at it. My chest still hurts some and I cannot pull myself out of the pool like I usually do (I have to use the stairs instead) but I tacked on another 300 yds to Friday's workout. I'm getting back in the swing of it.

"Unexpected life stuff" is a great phrase, Stephen. Kind of sums it all up.

I also bought a new car this weekend to replace the smushed one. Glad that is over with!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    1100 30:42 Each time I do a swim workout, I'm putting a gummybear in a jar.
    Like Button Required for Noels Gummybear Jar B)

@mpeters1965 Glad to hear that it is slowly getting better. Enjoy the New Car Smell while you can.
    You may have the Seat Belt Bruise but that's a lot better than if you did not have a seatbelt on.
  • stephenrhinton
    Options
    ~2000-2100m in 62 minutes, i lost count in the middle so I'm not entirely sure on my distance.

I also think I induced my first ever low blood sugar episode by cranking out my swim this morning without eating anything. Oddly enough it didn't really hit me until about an hour after my swim when I was at home under the warm shower. Then I got really nauseous for about 30 minutes.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    No swims for me since Saturday - have further damaged my shoulder. Which is great timing ten days before the North Island Championships! Spending lots of quality time with frozen peas at the moment :-(
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    No swims for me since Saturday - have further damaged my shoulder. Which is great timing ten days before the North Island Championships! Spending lots of quality time with frozen peas at the moment :-(

Oh no! One of my kids asked me once why we kept peas in the freezer but never ate them (none of us like peas)! Do you think you will be able to swim in the Championships or are you out of the water for a while?
    I also think I induced my first ever low blood sugar episode by cranking out my swim this morning without eating anything. Oddly enough it didn't really hit me until about an hour after my swim when I was at home under the warm shower. Then I got really nauseous for about 30 minutes.

That's what it sounds like to me. I almost never swim without eating first.
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @mpeters1965 Glad to hear that it is slowly getting better. Enjoy the New Car Smell while you can.
    You may have the Seat Belt Bruise but that's a lot better than if you did not have a seatbelt on.

Don't I know it!
  • LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Short swim today as I left work later than intended. And then when I got there I couldn't find my lap counter so i know i did 25 minutes but I'm not sure of the distance. I do know I pushed hard and did a ton of sprints.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Rest day yesterday. Back in the pool this morning for mix of kicks, breast and free. Like mpeters I have the chest pain still - the accident would have been 5 weeks tomorrow. Lets hope the pain stops soon!!
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Wise words MP - and here's to healing muscles/bruises for you, panda, emma and anyone else in need!

1250 today - about 42 mins.

Got almost as wet getting to pool as in it.. Meant I had to use a second locker to spread my soggy clothes out - number 116 - so i did a routine based on 1x something, 1x something, 6x something. I am easily amused.

A question. When you are doing front crawl/free how can you tell you are engaging your back muscles not just the (easy to hurt!) shoulder ones? Is there a feeling /sensation you aim for - i know the roll etc helps. (I was trying to 'feel' the difference in my swim today, not just get the position correct...) any ideas?

• NoelFigart1
    Options
    A question. When you are doing front crawl/free how can you tell you are engaging your back muscles not just the (easy to hurt!) shoulder ones? Is there a feeling /sensation you aim for - i know the roll etc helps. (I was trying to 'feel' the difference in my swim today, not just get the position correct...) any ideas?

Totally.

Go to the weight room and go to the machine where you do the lat pulldowns. Try that. If you're doing it right in the pool, you'll feel the muscles at the upper lats tighten first, then go all the way down the back of your ribs to your waist.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    54 laps in 70 minutes-- two minutes faster than my regular lap time by concentrating on intensity
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options

Totally.

Go to the weight room and go to the machine where you do the lat pulldowns. Try that. If you're doing it right in the pool, you'll feel the muscles at the upper lats tighten first, then go all the way down the back of your ribs to your waist.

Another check is to try a pull lap with hand paddles and no kick. If you're crawling right, you should really feel those muscles engage with the hand paddles. If you don't feel them, check the second part of your stroke The crawl has two parts-- where the hand enters the water and then pulls toward about chest level, and then the second part where it switches from a pull to a push. It's during the push phase when I feel the back and core muscles engage if I'm doing it right-- NOT in the pull phase--where it's more likely to be all shoulder