Options

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    W14d3 done
    It felt great. The beginning is hard but I found my stride. Yay

The beginning is always hard for me too! Glad you found your stride!
    LLduds wrote: »
    I made it through my 8 mile run! It was actually a pretty smooth run, but it did take me 87 minutes. Whatever though...I live to run another day. And I think I should be fine next weekend on the 10 miler as long as I don't try anything crazy (like pushing harder than my 10-11 minute pace). Happy weekend to all!!!

That's not a bad time for 8 miles- good job! You might need to slow down a little for the 10 miler.
    snha wrote: »
    @moyer566 Excellent! Finding my stride makes me so happy when it happens!

W12D1 -- I kind of created my own w12d1, walked 5 minutes and then ran Ran 6.51 miles in one stretch!

60n4ojeega2c.gif
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I am really enjoying the Girls on the Run!

I haven't run since Wednesday, but I got in a few good bike rides- 14, 21, and 25 miles. 11 hours of sleep last night and a rest day today.

Keep up the great work, love reading all your updates!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    @Just_Ceci thanks, you are an inspiration to me, I would never of thought about bricks until I read your posts many months ago. I have been scared over the last 8 weeks of pushing too hard in case of breaking down. You and many others have kept me going and hoping that it would all be ok in the end. I stayed away because I was scared, I like pushing boundaries but also dislike failure. I sincerely wish you well with running your own race and then pacing your girls through to their own personal successes. Have fun, you are a star, continue to shine brightly.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    @Just_Ceci thanks, you are an inspiration to me, I would never of thought about bricks until I read your posts many months ago. I have been scared over the last 8 weeks of pushing too hard in case of breaking down. You and many others have kept me going and hoping that it would all be ok in the end. I stayed away because I was scared, I like pushing boundaries but also dislike failure. I sincerely wish you well with running your own race and then pacing your girls through to their own personal successes. Have fun, you are a star, continue to shine brightly.

Thanks! You have inspired me also!

3aeoig0a075f.gif
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    Did Day1 Week1 today.

Day2 Week 1 done. The weather is perfect now, but it's getting dark early... Kinda creepy to jog in the darkness... :)

Day3 Week1 done! :) 5.8 miles with the warmup and cooldown... :)

Day1 Week2 done!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    so i did my b210k and was looking at the HM.

does this plan look reasonable?
    my asics
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    so i did my b210k and was looking at the HM.

does this plan look reasonable?
    my asics

That looks reasonable. I would probably do speed intervals or hill repeats on some of the "fast" days. (I have some guidelines for speed intervals if you are interested.)

My half plan had me running 12 miles for the longest run 2 weeks before the race. This half plan is a shortened version of what I did. (I did the 20 week plan which was way too long!) I changed one of the shorter run days each week to speed intervals or hill repeats to try to increase my speed.

Just keep running! You will do fine!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    it's not repeats but I've got at least 2 hills (one "easy" and one steep) and the longer i go the more steep hills i run into. big evil hills.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    With Ceci, it will be fine, don't get stressed about not doing the HM distance in training, you are training so that when you race for the first time your adrenaline will carry you the last quarter of the race. For comfort my longest run was 16.6miles for the FM, and I still got through 26.2 miles in 4:25 although the last 3 miles were not pretty. On the long distance forum they keep stressing that your long run should not last more than 2.5 -3 hours as the damage done from running longer takes too long to recover from. As you "race" longer distances the intention is to be at your best on race day not the weeks prior on a training run. You have done great so far and I look forward to reading about your training and eventual success. Have fun

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So yesterday was the Clarendon Half Marathon, part of an event run by Winchester Rotary each year. The Marathon runs from Salisbury to Winchester, along the Clarendon Way national path, with the Half starting from Broughton halfway along the route. It's all detailed at http://www.clarendon-marathon.co.uk/

It's my second run of the event, it was my first HM, in 2014, so I was keen to run it again as my fourth. Last year I'd managed to pick up a knee injury at about the10Km point, which meant about six week of reduced training afterwards. Classic ITB Sydrome and on reflection I should have bailed out at about the 12or 13km point,

I wasn't all that well prepared for yesterday, a new job is leaving my training difficult to plan and it's been pretty disruptive.

Kit wise I was using my Saucony Xodus shoes and wearing my Inov-8 race vest with two 500ml bottles and carrying Honey Stinger chews, and an SIS gel in reserve. I opted to take two chews at 5km intervals. Previous year I'd used SIS gels but felt the third landed heavily and left me feeling a bit queazy. This time the chews seemed to work well and they're fairly easy to consume on the move

It's a trail race, but the first 6km or so is largely on stony path, farm roads or metalled roadways. It makes trail shoes a bit more challenging, but I was conscious of it this year so quite focussed on my form. I managed to maintain a reasonable pace until the first steep climb, just after coming off the main road. My plan was to walk this hill, as it had hammered me the previous year. Managed to maintain a decent pace, including a quick stop for a photograph.

I was maintaining a reasonable average pace, hitting the 10Km point a little ahead of the 60 minute plan. 58:58 left me pretty comfortable, although that was just before a persistent hard climb up the the highest point on the route. At this point the path was reasonably narrow, so tricky to make much progress as it got a little congested. In general people are pretty good about letting others through, stopping where there was an opportunity to clear the path and let the faster runners through. Personally I found myself shutting back and forth amongst the same group of people at this stage. Everyone was responding to the changes in terrain, and giving the route to whoever needed it.

The nature of the route had completely changed by this point, much more forestry, and soft underfoot. So for me the trail shoes came into their own at this stage. Downhills were faster, and very comfortable.

The biggst change in my approach was taking the opportunity at each aid station to slow and walk, replenish either from the aid station or my own bottles.

I was struggling a bit by the 16km point, with the undulating terrain taking its toll. The surface was very challenging b ths point, lots of tree roots and branches slowing the pace to avoid tripping.

The final steep climb was expected, and tough. Lots of people breaking to walk intermittently by this time. I had to stop for a bit and walk as I tweaked my left hamstring, although walking it out certainly helped.

One of the big benefits here was thenumber of people supporting, unusual in a trail race. In some ways motivating, and in others pushing the pace to avoid stopping to walk in front of the audience cheering you on.

So the last mile was faster, and by this time there was a bit of jostling for position. The course had opened up and people were getting very focussed. Still chatty, and friendly, but pushing the pace and reaching out to the finish line.

I managed to get in at 2:13:32. A bit disappointing as it was slower than the previous year, but uninjured and feeling a bit fresher. To the extent a 5km recovery run this evening was easily achievable.

All in all a good session, a few lessons to consider. Feeling fresher afterwards and able to continue supports my objectives for next year with several races in closer succession.

The bling:

rcks0qlu47ou.jpg
  • ftrobbie
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Great report, well done MM, nice bit of bling and interesting to see that you rerun one your HMs. Not sure I am sufficiently inspired by the ones I have done so far to have another go at them. The closest is Eyam which was a very hilly road race. Thanks for letting us know how you got on.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Robbie, all the races I've done have been short fields and on trails, so stunning scenery and not particularly crowded beyond the first kilometre. That seems to make a huge difference to the experience.

I'm repeating the Harewood Forest 10K and the Ox half next year, although adding the Dark Ox 10K the night before the HM. I'm not sure about the Invader half next year. I enjoyed the race but te date is awkward, I' away on reserve training immediately afterwards again and I think the poor diet has contributed to the challenges recently. I didn't really recover properly. I'm also now doing a full three weeks before...

So next season is looking like a full in March, two 10Ks and a Half in May, full in June then subject to recovery either the full or HM at Clarendon again. I may do something at the Bad Cow weekend in September, probably the 10K, possibly also the HM.

The Harewood Forest is my usual training area, but the others are just good fun events.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    nice bling :)
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Nice report MM, well done!

I ran speed intervals with the local running store last night-
    4 x 400m with 30 seconds rest between (was supposed to be at 5k pace, but I was faster)
    1 mile all out
    4 x 400m at 5k pace

I ran a total of 4.1 miles in 38:17 not including the resting times. I felt good throughout, except for when the large group of guys lapped me before I had even finished the first lap. I was probably the last one to finish the workout, but I don't really care. I am feeling better about my chances for 10k in under an hour! I will keep doing speed intervals or hill repeats at least once a week.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    @Just_Ceci great work, you will be fine with the 10k if you keep putting this level of work in.

Needed the car at work so got out for a run this morning, so much easier than the runs on Saturday and Sunday. It feels good loosening up again. Another solid z2 session but although it felt easier than Sunday, pace was slower and HR was higher. Will keep a watch on whether it was due to the weather or if I am still recovering from Saturday and Sunday. Have fun everyone
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    b210k w12d1 done. can't wait to do a ten k and then an hm!

@moyer566 when and where is your 10 k race?
  • mbaker566
    Options
    @snha I don't have one. I just did this for fun. :) I'm considering signing up for a 5k. I feel confident there. still not completely confident in my 10k.
    Long term goal is the 13.1
    I don't have time for a 26.2. i already hear whining about how much time my running is taking
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    yeah, tell me about the whining :smile: i am doing another 5k in a couple of weeks, Oct 18 and after that i will shoot for a 10k! but, like you, 10k is probably the max i will do, at least for a while :smile:
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    @Just_Ceci - what are you using for your speed training? Is there an app or something you recommend? I seem to do better with apps that tell me what to do :)
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    LLduds wrote: »
    @Just_Ceci - what are you using for your speed training? Is there an app or something you recommend? I seem to do better with apps that tell me what to do :)

I do some sort of sprint intervals or hill repeats to work on speed. (When I was training for my half, I sent my plan to my girls' bike leader who added sprint intervals or hill repeats one day per week.)

I downloaded an app called "Interval Timer AD". It lets you set time intervals and notifies you when the interval is done. (I use this in conjunction with RunDouble or Strava) My favorite looks like this:
    15 sec Sprint
    3 min Easy run
    30 sec Sprint
    3 min Easy run
    45 sec Sprint
    3 min Easy run
    1 min Sprint
    3 min Easy run
    45 sec Sprint
    3 min Easy run
    30 sec Sprint
    3 min Easy run
    15 sec Sprint
    3 min Easy run

For hill repeats, I have a favorite hill that is pretty tough- run up hard, slow run or walk down to recover- repeat.

I usually run about a mile to warm up (for sprints and for hills) and then keep running at the end until I'm at whatever distance I want to get or until I'm back where I started.

The local running store has a free speed clinic every Monday, which I plan to get to more often. Since it's on a track, it's usually distance intervals.