Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Speaking of Mac and his one more Lap mantra, @Macstraw Are you still swimming?. Haven't seen you around the forums for a few months - Hope everything is good in your life.
    1100 30:50 Lazy workout.
    Now that Comment I understand. Still a GB in the Jar.

I am trying to use loonies and twonies to help build an " Emergency Holiday Fund " = any excuse for a trip somewhere new. ( 13.1 mile / 21.1 km Half Marathon in Iceland ? followed by a swim in the Blue Lagoon )

I had the Hiccups today when I started - By the time I broke through them it felt like I had been coughing from a bad cold until my Rib Cage hurt - tomorrow should be fun.

Now that we are going into Winter I expect to get less days on the Outdoor Wilderness Trails during the week and more Pool Time due to the limited hours of daylight.
    One of my Favorite Trail areas along the Local River Bank Hills - Semi Desert - Bald Prairie and Forest Eco-systems all in one small micro-climate area about 10 km by 6 km ( ~ 6 m x 2 m ).
    j4ou6va4qfld.jpg
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    After three dry days, a very nice 2500 in under an hour tonight. Light rain and three others to keep me company.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Nope. Incident at work where I got slammed into a door frame by an angry person. On my bad shoulder of course! Jarred all down my spine and can't turn head to the left so will be dry land for me for at least a few days
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Yikes, Emma! Beautiful trail, juliet.

I swam an hour, mixed sets. Not sure of yardage. There were some of my former masters mates in the pool again today and we were working on breast stroke and breast stroke kick with a new person near the end of the hour. It was fun and distracting. They also talked me into trying a spinning class Thursday morning. I've only done a spinning class once before and only own a granny bike that I never ride. This should be interesting. :smile:
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Emma, hope you recover fast.
  • troutgulch
    troutgulch Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    Nope. Incident at work where I got slammed into a door frame by an angry person. On my bad shoulder of course! Jarred all down my spine and can't turn head to the left so will be dry land for me for at least a few days

Wow. Now that's a stressful workplace! Hope you heal quickly and get back in the pool soon. Laura

• stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I was on the Outer Banks of North Carolina last week. Up near the Virginia border where they still have a herd of wild horses running around.

Yesterday was another unintended rest day. I need a good exercise I can do at the house for days when I don't have any client appointments. On days when I don't otherwise HAVE to leave home it gets very tempting to go into hermit mode and put off gym, shopping, errands, etc.

I swam 2150m in 61 minutes today, 28 sprint lengths, mixed strokes.

In other news, at my weigh-in tonight I officially crossed the line into 'overweight' instead of 'obese' ...
  • emmab0902
    Options
    troutgulch wrote: »
    emmab0902 wrote: »

Wow. Now that's a stressful workplace! Hope you heal quickly and get back in the pool soon. Laura

Lol I work for the police which includes visiting offenders.....
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    @nuffer, that swim sounded really nice. I miss swimming outside, but they only have a few outdoor pools around these parts, and they shut them down around Labor Day.

@emmab0902, yikes!! I hope that your shoulder recovers quickly. No wonder you swim. You need a strong core if you're going to be thrown about at work!

@stephenrhinton, THAT sounds like a gorgeous place. Sea swimming? Wild horses? I'd love to see that part of the country one day. And CONGRATULATIONS on leaving obesity behind!!!! You have literally worked your butt off for this! ;)

A short swim for me. I was dragging my feet getting to the pool because my swims have been so crappy lately. I played the victim (poor me, and surely the lanes will be crowded at this time, I forgot how to float...) and then my short swim was OK. Empty lane (?) and OK body positioning. The cardio class that followed was challenging again. The class I like is taught by a PT, so she's really good. But good grief. There's nothing like a hard water workout followed by another day in the water though... (with trips to the hot tub after class of course!)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    2700 yards in ~72 minutes. Water was a bit cold-- but I like it that way!
  • juliet3455
    Options
    11.5 km run yesterday = dragging my legs today.
    1000m
    250m Breast
    250m Back
    500m Crawl
    @stephenrhinton Congratulations on your success in leaving obesity behind
    @emmab0902 Feeling your pain- Heal up fast girl. Work in a similar building, different profession - just not dealing with the " special guests".
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    200m followed by a water aerobics class for 60 minutes
  • rosebarnalice
    Options
    2700 yards in ~72 minutes.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I have still been swimming although I haven't been posting my workouts. I try to aim for no less than 2000 yards a workout, usually three days a week. I mix up the strokes (except fly, man I hate that one), but I won't do back if I'm sharing the lane. The pool I use doesn' t have the flags either so I don't do the flip turns from back. It's been about 2.5 months of regular swimming after an 18 year hiatas and I'm still loving it. Asked for a kickboard and a new suit for my birthday, pool buoy is next on the list.
    Kudos to all of you with your workouts, and swift healing to those with injuries!
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Tuesday: 2.5 km 56 min
    Wednesday: 2.5 km 57 min
    Thursday: 2.5 km 56 min
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Hi people. Great too see all the activity, great swims, personal bests, and lots of new comers.
    I've been swimming at least 3 times a week, though been battling a cold on and off, so its this week that have gone back to the 2.5 kms consistently!

Stephen good job on the weigtloss journey. Great achievement! There is yet more to do in swimming. I hit goal weight about 2 yrs ago, but on the swimming endI continue learning tweaking and iimproving! Motivation does dip sometimes and a week or 2 break can help while resisting temptation to stop altogether.

Emma do you ever lose a race? Lol :smile:

Someone asked about Mac. I think he hada foot iinjury that's kept him out but hopefully he'll be back soon!
  • rosebarnalice
    Options
    2600 yards 70 minutes. Two laps short of my regular 1.5 miles. 6:30 am. Yuk.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I did. 45 minutes mixed sets. I just haven't been counting yardage lately. I had to cut it back from an hour because I had to get work early in order to fix a report before it got printed. I found a late night text from my boss when I got up at five this morning. Damned bosses!

I did the spinning class yesterday. It was ok. Of course my legs and glutes are sore today from the unaccustomed use. I'll try it a few more times to see what I think.

Damn, Stephen, way to go! 150 lbs?!? Stellar. I have a group of floor exercises I do if I am not going out and recently have also tried some yoga videos from Netflix and Amazon Prime. I am way more likely to blow those off though so leaving the house is usually the best bet.
  • juliet3455
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Stephen good job on the weight loss journey. Great achievement!
    Emma do you ever lose a race? Lol :smile:
    Someone asked about Mac. I think he hada foot injury that's kept him out but hopefully he'll be back soon!
    I did. 45 minutes mixed sets.
    Damn, Stephen, way to go! 150 lbs.?!? Stellar.
    @AquaticQuests That's for the little update on Mac, You said it best about that Southern Lady Winning races. I tip my hat to @emmab0902 and her great accomplishments and workouts. Makes mine seem pretty weak.
    @mpeters1965 Congratulations on straight 45 mixed sets. I will do different swim workouts, sometimes straight crawl at Triathlon Race pace, The B's(Breast and Back) or Mixed sets just to change things up. Looking forward to Nov 8 the start of the next winter session of lessons.

Noon Hour swim today - The B's. 250m Breast, 250m Back, 50m Kick and repeat.
    @stephenrhinton Congratulations - great accomplishment- Your Doctor must be pretty happy with your accomplishments. Hope your family and friends have been supportive through this journey.
    You should do a search and look back at some of your very first posts on MFP just as a way of seeing how much your changed in your interactions. Time to change your Profile Picture showing the before and after merged. its something that I should do.
  • emmab0902
    Options
    Everyone is doing awesome swims and for most of you its got to be getting colder (opposite of here!)

First swim in a week today.
    2500m

4X50 free on 60
    4X100 as 1 back 1 br 2 free
    1000m time trial - 14:30 steady race.
    200 easy
    10X25 kick
    16X25 alt fly kick on back/free
    50 warmdown

And as far as losing races goes, I will next year as there's a very fast woman who will be moving up into the 45-49 age group. She and her hubby moved here from the UK and they're both excellent pool and open water swimmers!