Winter Training Challenges - Signup/Discussion Thread

Options

Replies

• cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    cloggsy71 wrote: »
    For those who 'Zwift', I've started a new group; MFP Zwifters. It's by invite only, so if you send me a PM, I'll forward you an invite ;)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/109881-mfp-zwifters

I'm in. I've even posted something in there ;)

Seen ;)
  • jillyian
    jillyian Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    ozo4ivqvbtq1.jpeg

How's this for a remembrance photo, it's on my 10/11/2015 ride
    The day before our Veterans Day - oh actually yesterday (I just found out) was the 240th anniversary of the Marine Corp
    I'm looking for a snowman, I will find one if it kills me :-)
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    jillyian wrote: »
    ozo4ivqvbtq1.jpeg

The day before our Veterans Day - oh actually yesterday (I just found out) was the 240th anniversary of the Marine Corp

That's great, only just seen this though, you need to keep a running list of self declared bonuses inb your log or the points might not get added, added this but make sure you keep that list.

No ones quite managed a snowman yet, maybe we should add Santa to the list too? :)
  • Jakess1971
    edited November 2015
    Options
    As I'm struggling on weight loss this side of things and I know a few of us are and I do think since pretty much everyone on the challenge is trying to loose weight (if not all) it might be worth rewarding for weight loss, a suggestion I have is in the discussion thread to post a camera shot of the scales readout and then do the same for subsequent losses, for every lb lost would be a bonus point, for a 1.4lb loss it's 1.4 bonus points, any gains would obviously be ignored and you'd only accrue bonus points for total lbs lost since the initial scales image. Post your thoughts on this below vvvvvvv.

Cycle fat/fit club anyone?

76977-1309425443-296652.jpg
  • Dave2041
    Dave2041 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    tricky one... my weight can fluctuate up to 6lbs a day! (usually 2-3 but still) If you did go for this you'd have to be careful how you implemented it. Also would this not discriminate against those that perhaps don't have as much to lose? I know you're trying for motivation but have to keep the challenge honest :smile: Lastly if you were to implement it perhaps everyone should list a starting weight and then any loss's recorded so you couldn't claim the same point for the same lb over and over again. Hope i haven't confused you! :tongue:
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't participate in the weight loss side of things...but happy for others to, I'll just not be getting the bonus points
  • Jakess1971
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Frannybobs wrote: »
    I probably wouldn't participate in the weight loss side of things...but happy for others to, I'll just not be getting the bonus points

That's cool it's completely optional

Yep that's my thoughts exactly Dave, your first scales capture would be your starting weight, subsequent submissions would be based on that as a total loss, you wouldn't loose bonus points for any gains but you wouldnt gain any bonus points for re-losses, i.e the following pattern of postings:

11/12/2015 180.2lb
    11/12/2015 175 lb (5.2 bonus points)
    27/12/2015 178 lb (Gain so no change to bonus points)
    11/01/2016 175 lb (re-loss so no change to bonus points)
    11/02/2016 170 lb (+5 bonus = 10.2 bonus points accrued since initial submission)
    29/02/2016 169 lb (+1 bonus = 11.2 bonus points accrued since initial submission)

I don't think we want to go any more complex, yes some people have more to loose then others but I like to keep things simple, a loss is a loss and I think it's worth adding to the challenge, apart from riding I think most of us are trying to loose some blubber over the Winter so make us sleek cycling machines for next year?

What do you say? Yey or nay?
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    This is getting WAY too complicated...
  • Jakess1971
    edited November 2015
    Options

Well I'd be admining this bit but we can shelve it foot next year, perhaps to late in the day to start adding more to it then.
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Jakess1971 wrote: »

Well I'd be admining this bit but we can shelve it foot next year, perhaps to late in the day to start adding more to it then.

Hey no... It's you 'ball', you can play with it as you wish ;)

• Jakess1971
    Options

Hey no... It's you 'ball', you can play with it as you wish ;)

lol well I like people to play with my balls too you know ....
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    As I'm struggling on weight loss this side of things and I know a few of us are and I do think since pretty much everyone on the challenge is trying to loose weight (if not all) it might be worth rewarding for weight loss, a suggestion I have is in the discussion thread to post a camera shot of the scales readout and then do the same for subsequent losses, for every lb lost would be a bonus point, for a 1.4lb loss it's 1.4 bonus points, any gains would obviously be ignored and you'd only accrue bonus points for total lbs lost since the initial scales image. Post your thoughts on this below vvvvvvv.

Can I take the first Picture Using the Canon 1D Mk IV with the 70-200 f2.8, then the next weeks one with my cameraphone... because that's something like a 2.5kg loss just in the weight of the camera ;)

• Jakess1971
    edited November 2015
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »

Can I take the first Picture Using the Canon 1D Mk IV with the 70-200 f2.8, then the next weeks one with my cameraphone... because that's something like a 2.5kg loss just in the weight of the camera ;)

lol You've obviously spotted a flaw in my glorious plan, I would say you could cheat at any aspect of this challenge but I hope no one would bother due to that being incredibly sad and they would go to hell for being 'a very naughty boy/girl'!!

We could add some security proof to this of course, weighing must be done completely naked with only fig leafs protecting your modesty and a camera pointing at you and those scales on a timer or get your partner to take the picture .... of course then this challenge could go very pear shaped very quickly .... or apple shaped ..... ahem.

I've yet to hear anyone be overly keen on this so far so it'll probably get stuck on my increasing list of **** ideas lol.
  • jillyian
    jillyian Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    jillyian wrote: »
    ozo4ivqvbtq1.jpeg

That's great, only just seen this though, you need to keep a running list of self declared bonuses inb your log or the points might not get added, added this but make sure you keep that list.

No ones quite managed a snowman yet, maybe we should add Santa to the list too? :)

Definitely add Santa to the List!
  • kriles76
    kriles76 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Count me out for weight loss. I've been maintaining at 65 kg for about 6 months and don't have much more to give.

Is anyone familiar with the Eddington number? I only came across this on Veloviewer recently; but the theory goes that you develop a number based on your rides. If you've ridden 10 miles on at least 10 seperate days, your Eddington number is 10. If you've ridden 20 miles on at least 20 days, your Eddington is 20, and so on.

I only started riding a couple of years ago, but my Eddington is 32. I should reach 33 by the weekend after next. Perhaps each rider could obtain bonus points each time they increase their Eddington.

This is link to an Eddington number calculator that simply picks up your Strava rides and derives your Eddington. canini.me/eddington/index.php

As you might imagine, it's increasingly more difficult to increase it, but I have a lifetime goal to reach 100. I've only done one imperial century, so I've got a bit of work to do. ☺️
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    For bonus points, tell me more about these Strava challenges. I see a November MTS challenge which I joined. What's the "Full only" part of it?

Earn the MTS achievement (Full only) - 3 points
    Earn the climbing achievement (Full only) - 3 points
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    Can't see me improving my eddington from 57 while I'm on the indoor trainer
  • kriles76
    kriles76 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    trimom10 wrote: »
    For bonus points, tell me more about these Strava challenges. I see a November MTS challenge which I joined. What's the "Full only" part of it?

It means you have to complete 100% of the challenge to get any points.

That means riding 1250km for the MTS; or climbing 6,000m for the latter during the month. You won't get points for partial achievements along the way.

These achievements take some dedication.

• Jakess1971
    edited November 2015
    Options
    kriles76 wrote: »
    trimom10 wrote: »

It means you have to complete 100% of the challenge to get any points.

That means riding 1250km for the MTS; or climbing 6,000m for the latter during the month. You won't get points for partial achievements along the way.

These achievements take some dedication.

That's for sure :)

The eddington thing sounds interesting but I think asking 30 people to read about it, join it and understand it is asking a bit much especially this far in, I'll have my own weight challenge but shall keep it separate with no bonus points, we can keep thinking of picture bonus points though as they are simple and fun to do.

I'll defo add one for a picture of Santa if you spot him while out riding and this can b in any form including the man himself! :) Added for the whole of December.
  • banshee1013
    banshee1013 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thought I'd start the ball rolling with bonus points, current qualifying bonus points:

One point for doing an FTP test each month and an additional point for any improvement.

N00b question: How do I do an FTP test?