Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• Six5
    Six5 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Well, I decide to skip W7D3 today and run 5k. Partially to see how long it took me and part to prove to myself that I could. My first 5K is coming up on Wednesday and to say I am nervous is an understatement. I talk myself out of not showing up for it several times a day. Especially today when I saw that I am one of 5 people signed up to run it. Ugh! No way to get lost in a crowd for this one.

I used the C25K app and went back to the mountain I ran earlier this week. Since the app is based on time and not distance, I knew that I couldn't rely on the cues to keep me on track to meet my goal. My warm up 5 min was .28 miles so I did the math so I would end up running a full 3.1 miles. When she told me that I was "halfway" I kept running until I got to 1.7 miles. At 2.5 miles my brain was just about to defeat my body. I was so close to quitting and walking but then I heard the glorious "one minute left!" And through I knew that wasn't accurate for me due to my goal, it did mean I was *so* close and I couldn't give up now. So I slowed way down, caught my breath and kept pushing.

I ran for 38 minutes straight and for 3.1 miles! My mind is my worst enemy for sure but it is getting easier. I'm so proud of myself. I'm an overweight smoker (I know, I need to quit. I'm almost there) who has had 5 knee surgeries and I RAN 5 KILOMETERS TODAY! B)
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Six5 wrote: »
    Well, I decide to skip W7D3 today and run 5k. Partially to see how long it took me and part to prove to myself that I could. My first 5K is coming up on Wednesday and to say I am nervous is an understatement. I talk myself out of not showing up for it several times a day. Especially today when I saw that I am one of 5 people signed up to run it. Ugh! No way to get lost in a crowd for this one.

I used the C25K app and went back to the mountain I ran earlier this week. Since the app is based on time and not distance, I knew that I couldn't rely on the cues to keep me on track to meet my goal. My warm up 5 min was .28 miles so I did the math so I would end up running a full 3.1 miles. When she told me that I was "halfway" I kept running until I got to 1.7 miles. At 2.5 miles my brain was just about to defeat my body. I was so close to quitting and walking but then I heard the glorious "one minute left!" And through I knew that wasn't accurate for me due to my goal, it did mean I was *so* close and I couldn't give up now. So I slowed way down, caught my breath and kept pushing.

I ran for 38 minutes straight and for 3.1 miles! My mind is my worst enemy for sure but it is getting easier. I'm so proud of myself. I'm an overweight smoker (I know, I need to quit. I'm almost there) who has had 5 knee surgeries and I RAN 5 KILOMETERS TODAY! B)

So amazingly awesome, congrats on your victory!!
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options

Wow, fantastic!!!

I agree that our mind can be our worst enemy.

I signed up for a Turkey Trot (I am going to do Week 7 Day 1 tomorrow) and I am really having second thoughts ....
    But the very first time I did C25K I also did a Turkey Trot and it was rewarding (tough) but rewarding.
    Now I am much older and having all kinds of doubts.

Even yesterday's 20 minute run was filled with wanting to stop. So I had to do this self check:

• Do my knees hurt? No
    • Shins? No
    • Am I breathing? Fire, but Ok, checked.
    • Heart rate? Under my max, checked.
    • My muscles burn? Not even a little.

***Then why I am wanting to stop?!?***

I don't quite remember my time for my first 5K, but it was around 40 minutes -- So I keep thinking: If right now I feel like I'm dying and I want to quit at 20 minutes, there's no way I can make it to 40, right?!?

*sigh*

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @Six5 that's great. and great time too
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    What do you all think about when you run? What goes through your mind (other than OH GOD NO, if you're like me)? And how do you keep going when you are mentally swimming in doubt, or worse, hearing that little voice that says, "You can just stop anytime. You're a grown up and you can do what you want. It's fine to stop."

• vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Just finished W2D1. Little harder than first week but not bad. No pain for this 68 year old lady. Just going to see how far I can go.

Very invigorating!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    @BethAnnieT I usually am singing the lyrics to the music i run with. or I tell myself just a little bit further.
    The voice i think will always be there but that i just tell that voice "shush" and keep going.

@vicky1947mfp good job. make sure you take the rest days and go slow.
  • Six5
    Six5 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm constantly amazed at what my body can do when I don't let my brain interfere.

What do I think about: mostly just try to distract myself with my music, the scenery and when I want to quit I tell myself: just get to that tree or mailbox or whatever. And when I get there, I pick a new spot. Sometimes I do quit and that's ok too. I'm human and my body and brain are adjusting to running. Learning to listen to your body and it's cues is important to remain free from injury. Ignoring the defeatist thoughts is different.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should run today and walk tomorrow so I'm rested for my 5K or walk today and run tomorrow. My legs are sore from strength training so I think they need some heat and stretching. Probably going to run W7D3 today and see how i feel tomorrow. May take tomorrow off.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options

Wow, fantastic!!!

I signed up for a Turkey Trot (I am going to do Week 7 Day 1 tomorrow) and I am really having second thoughts ....
    But the very first time I did C25K I also did a Turkey Trot and it was rewarding (tough) but rewarding.

Even yesterday's 20 minute run was filled with wanting to stop. So I had to do this self check:

• Do my knees hurt? No
    • Shins? No

I don't quite remember my time for my first 5K, but it was around 40 minutes -- So I keep thinking: If right now I feel like I'm dying and I want to quit at 20 minutes, there's no way I can make it to 40, right?!?

*sigh*

SLOW DOWN! You should be able to talk (or sing) while you are running. If not, you are trying to go too fast. You are working on stamina right now, speed will come later.
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    Options
    BethAnnieT wrote: »
    What do you all think about when you run? What goes through your mind (other than OH GOD NO, if you're like me)? And how do you keep going when you are mentally swimming in doubt, or worse, hearing that little voice that says, "You can just stop anytime. You're a grown up and you can do what you want. It's fine to stop."

I count my steps to distract my brain from thinking I'm dying. Or I've finally figured out I CAN listen to music and run at the same time without my pace getting all wonky (I'm kinda special like that). Or I just have a "F off" argument with my inner lazy bones, that usually works, too.
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »

Wow, fantastic!!!

• Do my knees hurt? No
    • Shins? No

*sigh*

SLOW DOWN! You should be able to talk (or sing) while you are running. If not, you are trying to go too fast. You are working on stamina right now, speed will come later.

Hardest, but most beneficial, lesson to learn. ;)
  • sarahredhaira
    sarahredhaira Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Just completed w4d2. Felt fantastic, and like I could carry on running for a bit longer. I love going out in the morning when it is dark and the world is (mostly) asleep.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    i do love running in the morning in the stillness before everything starts moving and rushing
  • brant710
    brant710 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I did week 6 day 2 this morning. I just found this group so I am excited to read how others are doing.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    welcome @brant710
  • mack427
    mack427 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It's been awhile. Doing w8d2 today.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    @mack427 good luck :)
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Just completed W2D3. No aches or pains yet. I am 68! Don't know how far I can get but it is better than sitting on the couch!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    Just completed W2D3. No aches or pains yet. I am 68! Don't know how far I can get but it is better than sitting on the couch!

well done.
    it is indeed :)
  • sarahredhaira
    sarahredhaira Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Wk 4 completed this morning. Weather seems to have changer here. Wk5d1 will be colder weather than I've been running in so far!