Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    nuffer wrote: »
    A few intervals last night, trying to bump up the pace. 2100 yards. First session with the fins (100y) was fine, then did a few 100y sprints (for me) and when I put the fins back on, had to stop before 25y due to foot/calf cramps. Pretty sure dehydration not an issue as I loaded up with water throughout the day and kept drinking during the swim. Also stretched at home before swimming and before putting the fins on. Going to stay out of the pool and do a brisk walk/jog this evening.

Try a tsp of mustard before swimming.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Cool stuff, AQ! I love data! I'm not sure I want to know the cold hard facts about my swimming, though.

I did swim this morning. I'm in Holiday mode so it wasn't a fixed workout and I didn't track yardage. I did get in a bit of almost everything (except butterfly) though and felt like I had worked out when I was done. About 45-50 minutes.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Horrible 2100m today. Not sure if it's due to my resting heart rate being in my boots or what, but entire swim felt slow and sluggish :disappointed:

500 as 100 fr/100 back/100 fr/100 br/100 fr

2X 200 medley continuous

4X 100 medley continuous

8X 50 medley order

300 fr

100 warmdown
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I haven't been posting here, but I've successfully swum every weekday for the past two weeks. I've been losing my groove as far as swimming, so this is much, MUCH better.

And to be honest, I really don't have any more time to screw around. I'm swimming a six miler in Lake Memphremagog this June, and swimming from Alcatraz to Aquatic Park in August. So, I really need to give it my all until open water season starts.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    A short swim last night, but I'll take it. I didn't think I'd get to swim Wed, Thurs or today, so getting something in was great. I'll hopefully get both Sat and Sun to get a few more in this week.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    1800y in 35:52
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I did get a swim in yesterday, but boy was it a struggle. I felt like I had eaten a huge lunch (I hadn't) and just couldn't get it. Stayed for an hour anyway. Good thing. I arrived today to get some video and there were only two lanes open, both with 3 swimmers. Blech. Turned out, I forgot my suit :( I couldn't even get into the hot tub to warm up! I'd had my Sunday 6 mile run with my sister in the cold PNW rain, and I was counting on a soak.

Tomorrow is a new day.
  • mpeters1965
    Options
    Tomorrow IS a new day! Good luck!
  • emmab0902
    Options
    2000m of just swimming. Nothing fast or special. Feel like I have lost my love for swimming and have definitely lost my spark all round lately.....
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    After pushing myself lately, took the last couple of days off out of the pool. I think it made a difference and am looking forward to some quality aqua time tomorrow. It may snow later in the week and hoping it does because that should be an interesting experience.
  • MrsBooBear
    MrsBooBear Posts: 12,619 Member
    Options
    Had my first swim this morning after many, many months. Felt so good to be back in the pool! :smiley:
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    1200y/32:34

I might ordinarily take off this week, what with Christmas prep and travel. But as long as I am in town, there are really no excuses.

Yes, this is a REALLY light workout by real swimmer standards. I've come up with a training plan that I think will get in the requisite work without depressing me too badly, though.

1. Swim Every Weekday (unless on travel, which won't happen much this winter or spring)
    2. Every week, add another fifty yards to the workout. This increases volume at a steady, but unobtrusive pace and gets me to the appropriate swim volumes at the appropriate times.
    3. In March, add a longer workout on Saturday mornings.

I'm locked in a for the six mile swim in June and the Alcatraz swim in August. So this is the Turtle's version of training. Slow and steady, but it gets me there.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    4 miles this morning.
    Hitting a spin class after work.
  • emmab0902
    Options
    2500m tonight.

3X(75 free 25 back 25 free fast 25 back)

8X200 as
    1 free negative split
    2 free steady
    3 4X50 back (10s rest) to total within 15s of PB
    4 back steady
    5 breaststroke build by 50
    6 breaststroke steady
    7 free steady
    8 free as per #3

450 warmdown

The 4X50 back totalled 4s over my PB the 4X50 free totalled 9s under!!
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    1200y/32:08

• nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    @emmab0902 looks like a great workout. Do you go in with a workout like that pre-planned or do you have a coach telling you the sets?

Last night was 2500y in something like 57 minutes. Pace is sloowly improving. We're sitting a young dog for a few days, probably going to be doing more walking over the next few days if he's up to it.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Mmmm so almost a month after my last post and at last - please God - back at the pool. (It has been a tough month parent illness wise, and so my health too...)

So 750m last week, 850m this morning - and gosh is my body out of shape! But it was good to be back and I will build back up slowly.

Only 100 plus posts to read in this thread!
  • emmab0902
    Options
    @nuffer my coach has given me ten sessions to do over the weeks our pool is closed. The other remaining four looked too hard for the energy I had yesterday lol.
  • mpeters1965
    Options
    1200y/32:34

I'm locked in a for the six mile swim in June and the Alcatraz swim in August. So this is the Turtle's version of training. Slow and steady, but it gets me there.

I like that training plan! I can't imagine swimming 6 miles. Go Noel!

Hi everyone!

Mmmm so almost a month after my last post and at last - please God - back at the pool. (It has been a tough month parent illness wise, and so my health too...)

So 750m last week, 850m this morning - and gosh is my body out of shape! But it was good to be back and I will build back up slowly.

Only 100 plus posts to read in this thread!

Welcome back! It shouldn't take you long to get back in the swing.

I swam something this morning. It was a hodgepodge. The pool got really crowded so I cut it off at about 45 minutes. At that point I was doing timed 50's. If I don't do at least a few timed sets, I get lazy. It's one of the things I really miss about Masters. Having a set workout with goals.

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    11 days of fighting a cold and no exercise, unless you call coughing until your ribs hurt exercise. Felt good to get a little exercise in, but definitely felt like a Christmas Slug.
    MFP Said I Burned 400 calories doing 45 minutes of Swimming laps, freestyle.
    1500m as @mpeters1965 would say a hodgepodge of strokes, no real plan just paddling away Light/moderate effort. See how I feel tomorrow as we have Night Skiing on our local hill. Looking forward to going for a run also.