Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,940 Member
    Options
    ....strong is in the mail for me, sam....so, i will probably be two or three workouts behind you. I am very excited!

Nice workout Dawn and stephie and julie. I hope you post a photo of "the dress", kimi.

I lifted today. And will again, tomorrow. I am "monday fasting" because that strategy worked well for me in nov/dec....hope to lost the last bit of jiggle by february. BOOM!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Kim, that is an awesome story!! The scale is a liar. It's often mind boggling how you can weigh more and be smaller.

Nice workout Stephanie. My thighs are feeling those step up today. You can do the foam rolling AFTER The workout. So RAMP before Rolling AFTER.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Kim - That is too bad about the ski trip but woot for the dress.

Julie and Jo - Oh, the dairy thing is because I have a mild allergy. If I consume dairy on a regular basis, I get itchy all over and it's no fun. I can have it on occasion but it's easy to slip into eating it too often because it's so delicious. Plus, so many more options in whey for protein supplements as I don't always get enough from food. Trying to keep it in check so I can still enjoy it and not have to go weeks without due to itchiness.

The weather got better today and melted everything. I could have gone to my gym but decided to stay closer to home and just get a day pass at the one my coworker usually goes to for workouts. It was 5 dollars, so that wasn't too bad. If I have a day where roads are too bad to do the longer distance and it's during their staffed hours, I could do that again. They have decent equipment though no padding or any are for deadlifts. Also don't have much for calves. Less people though. Busy was 5 of us in the weight area and that was brief. Most of the time it was maybe 1 or two in cardio area and a couple people in the weights, which is busier than I'd seen it before. Had a guy compliment my squat, on my warm up set. Overall, a decent session though my knee hurt where I bruised it last night and deadlifts didn't help that factor but oh well.

51 - Lower Power
    10 minute elliptical warm up
    squat 3x3 @ 180 - heavy. The last rep on last set was no good, will definitely keep at this for next time.
    deadlift 2x4 @ 190 and 1x4 @ 215 with straps - Not bad though the plates are different at this one. Also, the calluses on my hands were achy, so I tried doing the higher weight set with the straps and it wasn't too bad once I figured how to get them tight enough on my small hands.
    leg press 3x8 @ 230 - barely. Tougher than normal but different machine and I think the equipment weighed a little more on this one, though nothing on it stated the weight so can't say for sure.
    seated calf raise 3x10 @ 35 - Those were awkward. Took me a long time to figure out how to do the thing.
    hip thrust 3x8 @ 115 - oof. Heavy and the bench shifted some. I put 45 plates to keep the bench from moving. At least, with the 35s I can get under the bar on the ground. Also, used the pad for the first time since I used a regular bar and not the pre-fixed ones. Still awkward but better.

Going to be some tiring days as I usually rest on Mondays. Tomorrow should be upper hypertrophy and long run. We'll see how things go. Didn't go get shoes yet, but one day, that is the a goal this month, new shoes. Did deadlift and squats in just socks and their rack is a little different in the peg location, so I didn't gave as many issues with that. But brr is it cold without shoes right now. Looking forward to weather warming up in a couple of months.
  • nufertiri
    nufertiri Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

just wanted to say hello to all doing the program. I'm just starting to cross read through the different threads in this groups to get some new ideas :)

I've started with the program in September, but had to take a longer break due to a row of colds... Now back on track since a couple of weeks and enjoying the work out. Still in the middle of stage 1, which I hope to have finished in 3 weeks or so (go the gym 2x - 3x/week)

My weakest area by far is everything is upper body related (chest, arms...) - those dumbbell shoulder press are my enemy right now (and of course the push ups...)
    And I think that my very weak "grip strength" is limiting progress on some of the other exercises... Such as with step ups or lunges: the legs would be ready to cope with higher weights, but my hands cannot hold the dumbbells long enough :disappointed:

Thus more than glad to read all your experiences here - helps to remind me that I'm not "alone" with my struggles and to keep trying :)
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    @nufertiri could you perhaps uses a plate and hold it in front of you or across your chest as you step up or lunge? Or kettlebells can be held differently to dumbells? I have grip problems as I have broken both thumbs in years gone by and sometimes need to use something other than dumbells for fear of my hands giving out on me!
  • pmiely
    pmiely Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have just begun NROL4W; Stage 1. I have to say I'm nervous and excited. Both because I have always starved myself and done cardio to lose weight before. This is a new way for me both physically and mentally. It totally makes sense though! Now that I'm dating a man who works out and does nothing but lift and eats a high protein diet....everything has sort of clicked after reading the book. Who says it wouldn't work for me too?? I am breaking out of my circle of friends in real life so hopefully I can meet some online here that are on the same page and can encourage me along the way, as well as I encourage them. I've stalked ya'll already without you knowing anyway. ha ha

Hope you're having a great new year!

Penny
  • nufertiri
    nufertiri Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @kimiuzzell Thanks for the ideas! Will try those out tomorrow with the step up. Such a simple idea - should have thought of that myself... :D

For the lunges I tried yesterday to substitute with a barbell (on shoulders...), which was okay. I though it might even add to the exercise as stabilizing is more complex. That's also why I wouldn't trust myself to apply this for the step ups - I'm not famous for my balance :)

@pmiely
    I can very related to the feeling of nervousness and excitement. Was the same with me... :)
    Great that you're guy is working out too - I'm sure he can give you plentiful of tips and hints - and support in all areas!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Lookee what I got, today! :) Squeeeeeee!! :)

rpeb23skylsf.jpeg
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Beeps - Nice!

Nufertiri - I use a barbell for curtsy lunges in my current program and find it a bit easier that way than holding 70+ lbs. It does have the stability issue and with curtsy I get off balance a little on occasion but I do like it instead of holding two dumbbells. Though on bodybuilding.com the only curtsy lunge they had was kettlebell so it just makes it sound like I can hold one heavy kettlebell. Regular lunges were easier too, though, when I first started the program, with barbell. I don't know about step ups either, maybe play with step height instead... I kept to the short one cause yeah, I'm short and didn't want to try any higher. I have a similar issue with fronts squats because I want to work on my wrist ability but what they can handle is way lighter than what challenges my legs (and stability as it gets challenging at the higher weight). Upper body is often going to be not as strong as the lower body.

I have gym today after work. Speaking of upper body, it's upper hypertrophy day and long run. Going to be a late night but the good news is, I don't have work tomorrow, so I can sleep in. mmm sleep
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Dawn-do you skip that day btw power and hypertrophy? I've checked out PHUL and like it. You're squatting and DLing so heavy! I wish my back were for it! Maybe over time I can build up to it. How are you liking WHTs? I love them and have made some progress this past 6 months. The pad helps so much! The larger plates make rolling the bar on you much easier too! Saw some girls doing them On the smith machine today. :)

Welcome penny and nufertiri! Glad to have you hear and look forward to hearing about your progress.

Beeps-looking forward to your feedback on Strong!

I got to lift this morning... I like this new split. Leg day, and I felt it! Limping to the mat to stretch afterwards! My back is 90% I'd say, and as much as I want to add weight to both my squat and DL, I am going to take it really, really slowly. I'm at 95 for both right now, and if I pay attention, I maintain great form during them, nice and deep on th squats and no pain either. Low back a bit sore now, 4 hours later, but that is kinda normal. I don't want to skip them, and I repeatedly hurt my back when I go higher :(, so I'll stick with this weight and up the reps and sets for a bit. Then slowly add a bit more, etc. babying it along. Checking my pride for better overall health.
    My leg press, curls, hip thrusts and calves are all improving nicely. So yay!
    I'm dropping cals and hoping to slowly cut a bit...for lack of a better term. I'm too fluffy. I see muscles in there, but need to lean out to see them better.

Hope you're all off to a great start in the new year!

• dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Good morning all!

The husband is back at work, I've had my caffeine and the sun is shining, so I'm in a good mood LOL

Back at the gym properly this week. I've decided to keep working through my second round of Supercharged and I'll buy Strong during my next book purchase (we buy about 20 books at a time lol we love getting mail :wink: ) and read it nice and thoroughly before deciding.

One can never have too many lifting books in any case :smiley:

Welcome to penny and nufertiri :smile:

I have new lifting socks - rainbow stripes! The husband told me I looked like Sesame Street :lol: I must be in a good mood cos I laughed and didn't hit him :tongue: LOL
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    dnamouse - I love rainbow socks. I have a couple pairs from hot topic that are knee high. Don't lift in them but do have fun when I wear them to work or around the house.

Julie - My schedule got thrown off this week. Normally I do power on Saturday and Sunday, have Monday as rest day and do hypertrophy on Tuesday and Wednesday. Since the roads were so bad Sunday night, I ended up not lifting. I'll probably not lift tomorrow (well today since it's after 2 am) and do lower hypertrophy on Thursday. Thanks. I like DL but it's now slowing down in progression but that's okay. It's fun and the wrist straps have been an interesting addition. Considering I have arthritis in my lower back, I'm glad I haven't had any problems with lifting. I like WHT's but I've done them before. In the past, I did them at my gym near the dumbbell area which is also where the fixed barbells are located, so I'd use those. I do like using a regular bar and adding the weight better, plus the pad to add around the bar is a nice addition. Not sure where to do them at my gym unless I take a bar from a bench or something. hmmm

Gym night after work. Was a long session because it was lifting and cardio but worth it. Since today was dairy day, I went and got a burrito after working out at a place near home that is open 24 hours that I've wanted to try. Mmmm food.

51 - Upper Hypertrophy
    incline bench 4x8 @ 75 - went decent even with the increase.
    db fly 4x9/10 @ 20 - easier than expected, might need to increase again.
    1 db row 4x8 @ 35 - challenging but too lazy to go find the 32.5 in training area.
    seat row 4x10 @ 80 - still tough on the last reps.
    lat raise 4x6 @ 15 - yeah... the 10 and 12.5 were not available so had to go less reps.
    cable bicep curl 4x12 @ 50 - about time to increase.
    tricep extension 4x9 @ 80 - not bad, still bit of a challenge.
    face pull 4x10 @ 40 - decent.

10 minute walking (warm up and cool down) and 50 minute jog. Going to rest tomorrow once I get to bed and all. Need to finish burrito and write 100 words, then enjoy some sleep.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I am speed reading through "Strong"....need to google today to find some spreadhseets i can print out (to track workouts).

Keep lifting, ladies!! You are all doing soooooo great!
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    wow, every time I come on here there are so many messages! Its hard to keep up with everyone.
    welcome to the new people.
    Kim, that is an awesome NSV. Well done!
    I intended on getting back to the gym (for the first time since before xmas) on Sunday but it was my last day off work and I found myself really wanting to do something outside so we went for a hike in the rain instead. Then on Monday I left work to go to the gym and realised that I forgot my gym bag! :angry: But I made it back last night. I am repeated the last workout in supercharged since I stopped half way through it and didn't want to go straight back into lifting really heavy. When I started my deadlifts I got worried that I had lost loads of strength over christmas because the first set felt so heavy. But then I realised that I had put 10kg more on the bar than I had intended to! oops!
    Today I hurt. I was meant to go running this evening after work but I am sore and tired and it is windy and raining out so instead I am on the couch by the fire in my pyjamas. And I don't regret my decision for a second! :smiley:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    DouMc wrote: »
    Today I hurt. I was meant to go running this evening after work but I am sore and tired and it is windy and raining out so instead I am on the couch by the fire in my pyjamas. And I don't regret my decision for a second! :smiley:

BOOM!

• Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Dou-I'd be by the fire too! Good job on the dls.
    DNA-keep unto good work, read it at your leisure and let us know what you think, and yay for a good mood! :)
    Dawn- ah, I remember you rearranging the workouts because of the weather. You're still killing it...adding weight regularly and so consistent! Go girl!
    Beeps-no sheets in strong to photo copy? Hope you enjoy it.

I'm feeling sore! I did an hour of cardio today, mixed btw the elliptical and treadmill, lifted the past 2 days...slightly different, so a bit sore is good! Still up 3 lbs from pre holiday indulging...working on it. Sigh,

Hope you're all doing great!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Just got from my second STRONG session first WO B. I went to the gym feeling exhausted, so I had low expectations. (Not sleeping the last couple nights and it's only going to get worse while hubby is away)
    Any who,
    Side plank 2@30sec each side
    Half kneeling ... 3x12.5kg@10 each side
    SLRDL 2x12@15dbs (knee hurt a little)
    Push-up 8 military
    Inverted Row shoulder height bar 2x12
    Split squat 2x12 @ 15dbs
    Skipped intervals. I may try to do a class tomorrow or Friday. I was wasted. At the end I needed over 2 min rests between sets to catch my breath and keep going.

I was reading an article about how fast we lose strength. It takes about 1 month to lose strength (I have also experienced this first hand.) The sooner you go back, the sooner you get it back. Therefore, for me, the struggle is real with over four months out. Keeping the faith.

So I got a TRX for Christmas, and I went to make an appointment with one of the trainers at my gym to get a first-hand lesson on using it. The three left over sessions are clearly in my account and marked as not having an expiration date, but they wouldn't let me book the appointment because my "training term" expired. Um, I didn't sign up for any term. Digging out my contract now. If MY sessions don't expire, they damn well better let me use them or all hell will break loose.

Beeps-I would just photocopy them from the book or I just wrote it out in my training diary.
    Dou, I'd be on the couch too. It's too damn cold here. Which is weird because last week it was too damn hot.
    DNA, I have a pair of knee high rainbows too. Rock it girl.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies. I went to ortho yesterday. I have surgery next Friday to repair labrum tear , shave the bone joint, and remove some floating bone fragments. I will be on crutches 4-6 weeks. No exercise for that time and no lifting for 3-4 months. He said I could work my arms but definitely no leg lifts, squats , lunges .....

I'll keep on getting fatter.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Sorry manic :( that sounds bad, please don't be too dishearted though - imagine how good you'll feel in 3/4 months time with everything healed, and you'll be able to get back to it!

Forgot to check in yesterday after Strong, Stage 1, Workout B.

Side plank: 20 sec each side, then 15 sec. These were so so difficult, but putting my knee down made it nothing, so I will persevere!
    Half kneeling anti-rotation press: 3x22.8kg 10 sec reps each side
    Single leg romanian DL: 2x12 16kg (single DB) my balance was allllll over the place!
    Push-up: 12 then 10 onto a bench
    Split squat: 2x12 @ 8kg DB's
    Inverted Row: 2x12 with the smith set at height 12 - I had to do each set in mini sets of 3! 4 reps at a time with 30 secs rest in between.

Intervals: 3kg medicine ball slams: 4 rounds of 60 seconds on, 120 off.

After the intervals I lay down on the floor of the gym in a pool of my own sweat. Safe to say I have no cardio endurance right now - haven't done any cardio for nearly 2 years (was pregnant/ had baby/ did stronglifts 5x5)

Does anyone have any suggestions for interval work? I was thinking medicine ball slams, battle ropes (if I can both find them, and figure out how to attach them to the sled), and maybe sled pulls but that might be a bit too embarrassing right now!
    I'm trying to move away from "traditional" cardio!

Overall I felt OK, but some of the stuff got me down - the inverted rows for one, but then I figure I do weigh ~205lbs right now, that's a hell of a lot of weight to be pulling up!

So sore this morning - my ar*e is on fire!
  • 7yearbitch
    7yearbitch Posts: 30 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Edit: Saw the introduction thread belatedly. Moved my post there.