Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Depends on the model Ceci! And with some, how often you clear the memory :)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I ran 9 miles on Friday in 1:31:34. It was an awesome run!

We had a local runner killed on Wednesday while running on the sidewalk. She did everything right- reflective gear, flashing light on her hat, running on a section of the Greenway. The driver was exiting a parking lot and apparently never saw her. This morning I went to a morning safety discussion and run in her honor with the half marathon training group sponsored by the local running store. Somewhere around 300 runners. I ran 2 miles.

This afternoon, my girls bike group took advantage of the nice weather to go for a ride- 30 miles of heaven!

I am done until my surgery on Monday. Here's to a speedy recovery!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    sorry, @Just_Ceci I see some runners and i want to pull them aside and tell them how much they are putting themselves at risk

personal training led to flare which led to needing rest.
    and then my transmission cracked which led to 2 tiring days of car hunting
    got a run in on sunday. 4.75miles on the treadmill with hills. i thought i was going to die. it felt good and sucked all at the same time
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Ceci sorry to her about the runner, you hear these "accidents" happen but luckily this is the closest I have ever come to hearing about it other than in the news. Hope the surgery went well.

Missed a lot of runs the back end of last week and over the weekend, poor weather, poorer motivation and a couple of family events. However got a 6+miler done last night and a 5+ this morning. Feeling tired but the positive is that 5-6 mile runs are the way 5k runs used to be, a bit of a routine. Just need the weather to hold to get the long run done this weekend. 3 or so hours could be fun.

Have fun everyone.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Thanks everyone! The surgery went well, although there wasn't good news. Apparently the tendon was probably torn by a bone spur related to arthritis in the shoulder. Dr. scraped the bone, reattached the tendon and stitched me up. Expected recovery at least 12 weeks.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Ceci, sorry to hear that the issue was not as simple as you had hoped, hopefully you can get enough mobility/ strength in your shoulder to be able to carry out some activity during the 3 months. One of my work colleagues broke a collar bone and was riding a bike again after 4 weeks, although it was only for 30 minutes. He had done some turbo work whilst it was in a sling. Here's hoping for a quick and pain free recovery.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    glad your shoulder got the attention it needed
    been missing runs lately for various reasons. and have a race tomorrow 8k. 1degree. so cold and so untrained
  • cyndi2012
    cyndi2012 Posts: 65 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Recently started 10k training after being sick for the last part of January. Almost felt like I needed to start over completely with 5k training after those couple of lazy weeks lol. Not following a specific 10k plan but just running based on how I feel.

Feb 4th - 5.35k
    Feb 6th - 3k
    Feb 8th - 3.3k
    Feb 11th - 5.5k

I'll get there eventually! ! !
  • KRPolo
    KRPolo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am also getting back on track after some time of due to a respiratory infection. I was running regularly up until mid- January, but was then sick for three weeks. I ran on the treadmill at work twice this week, but am still not breathing well, so have been taking it slow. I just got back from the gym and ran 3.25 miles on the treadmill this am.

Question for everyone- I've been planning to run a few races in the spring, the first of which is a 15k in April. I was comfortable running 5 miles before I got sick. Do you think it's possible for me to be prepared to do the 15k by April?? Any thoughts on what training plan to use? Thanks for your feedback!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    KRPolo wrote: »

Question for everyone- I've been planning to run a few races in the spring, the first of which is a 15k in April. I was comfortable running 5 miles before I got sick. Do you think it's possible for me to be prepared to do the 15k by April?? Any thoughts on what training plan to use? Thanks for your feedback!

Run it yes, race it no. I would back calculate the 10k plan from the date in April, if it's early April, I think it will be a challenge. Being able to run 10k by event day will allow you to finish a 15k. It might not be pretty though. Ultimately you'll know if you can spend 90 minutes or so on your feet running, 60-70 minutes in training will give you a clue as to the pace you can hold. If the aim is to finish, don't be too proud to use a run walk strategy to do it, similar to c25k and b210k. Hope it goes well.

Got 7 miles done on Thursday and 20miles done yesterday, 8 mile warm up run to a 5k event, a relaxed 5k run (29 mins) and a 9 mile cool down home. Legs feel tired this morning but not thrashed. 3rd longest run ever, still struggle mentally with going out for 4 hour training runs.

Have fun everyone.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Got 5.5 miles done this morning, a z1 "flush out" run. First mile was really slow and stiff, but towards the end everything loosened off. Hour long runs seem to pass quite quickly.

Have fun
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Just started Bridge to 10 K after finishing C25K last week, did my first run this morning and enjoyed it! Covered 5.74 k, not very far but it's a starting point - I finished C25K running 5 k in 29:32, which was hard work so I decided to slow it right down while I get used to longer runs.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    hi new people and returnees.

did my 8k in 1F temps. it was a good sized group. i didn't stay for my standings but i know i did PB with 53:37
  • mbaker566
    Options
    ran this morning 6.2 miles on the treadmill. was doing a 10k for a virtual run
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    samgamgee wrote: »
    Just started Bridge to 10 K after finishing C25K last week, did my first run this morning and enjoyed it! Covered 5.74 k, not very far but it's a starting point - I finished C25K running 5 k in 29:32, which was hard work so I decided to slow it right down while I get used to longer runs.

You one of the few people I have seen complete the c25k programme and get below 30mins, well done you. Ref b210k, just take it easy, it's the same process, just enjoy it.

• ftrobbie
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    hi new people and returnees.

did my 8k in 1F temps. it was a good sized group. i didn't stay for my standings but i know i did PB with 53:37
    moyer566 wrote: »
    ran this morning 6.2 miles on the treadmill. was doing a 10k for a virtual run

Two runs two days, nice going. 1F, initially I used 1c and thought it's not that cold and then it dawned on me it was fahrenheit, boy that's cold. Big kudos to you. I feel like a sissy with it hovering around freezing here.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    PMA is really working despite the cold and my sluggishness in the morning, the just get it done is helping and the fact that the 69miler is only 4 months away. Signed up for a full at the end of September, it would be a shame to waste the conditioning, trying to find a half to do between June and September but I think sensible people avoid the heat.

Monday another shake out run just over 3 miles and another training run at just over 5 this morning. Running great, work blah!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    One week down! My recovery is going well. After my second PT session and removing the bandages, my shoulder feels much better! I will likely attempt the stationary bike later this week. I am getting restless!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Nice to know you are on the mend
  • KRPolo
    KRPolo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Working on getting ready for the Broad Street Run (10 miles) in May, so I jumped in to week 6 of a 16 week training plan to prepare. I ran 3 miles on Monday, and 4 this morning, which both felt pretty good. Going to do a long run on Saturday- scheduled to be 5 miles but I may try to go a little farther. I'm finding the treadmill to still be my biggest challenge- outside, I am fine, but on the treadmill, I seem to play a lot of head games, and feel like quitting for the first two miles. So much of this seems psychological!