Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    KRPolo wrote: »
    Working on getting ready for the Broad Street Run (10 miles) in May, so I jumped in to week 6 of a 16 week training plan to prepare. I ran 3 miles on Monday, and 4 this morning, which both felt pretty good. Going to do a long run on Saturday- scheduled to be 5 miles but I may try to go a little farther. I'm finding the treadmill to still be my biggest challenge- outside, I am fine, but on the treadmill, I seem to play a lot of head games, and feel like quitting for the first two miles. So much of this seems psychological!

I can run for hours outside but 20 mins on a dreadmill kills any enthusiasm for running for me. I know some people have to use them, some people love them, but to me they are a torture device. It is cold and wet here, steady rain for the last 8 hours and I will be going out in 20 minutes to run in that rather than taking the car to the gym and running in the dry on a dreadmill.

Don't let the mind games win, there is a reason you do this, try and keep that at the forefront of your mind and try to find creative ways of getting outside. Have fun

• KRPolo
    KRPolo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much ftrobbie. It has been very icy here, which is why I stayed inside. This weekend is supposed to be in the low 50's though, so I can't wait to be back outside!

I'm doing the two races for two reasons- I wanted to set a personal goal of losing weight and running a half marathon by the end of the year, and more importantly because I'm running to benefit the American Caner Society in memory of my mother who we lost ten years ago to breast cancer. I am super motivated to succeed!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your mother, remember that weight loss is predominantly about input rather than output. You also need to balance the fuel your body needs to repair itself as you do longer and longer training runs in preparation for your 10 mile and HM, don't neglect the fueling element. If you get to do the 10 miles and stay at a moderate training level you will succeed in finishing the HM. Good luck with your weight loss and training.

Got an hour long run done, smell like a wet dog and am soaked to the skin, will get a shower just to warm up in a minute. However just shy of 6 miles done at an easy pace (for me). Good luck everyone
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I walked a mile yesterday, outside track at a nearby high school. The track is covered with artificial turf and felt weird walking. I will have to go back and run on it sometime! Also found another city park with a nice gravel path around it that isn't flat.
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Loved my second run of B210K today, managed to increase my distance a little from the first run - 5.96 k.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    ice chunk took out my rental car's bumper, no run. dropped off at insurance and picked up a new rental. on the way to work, 2 people ran red lights and almost hit me
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Nice 10km run this morning, really dry and cold, a change from the rain yesterday. Looking forward to a gentle ease out session tomorrow before the full on parkrun followed by a further 15 miles for the long run on Saturday
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    30 minutes on the stationary bike and 1/2 mile walk yesterday!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Had a good run on Friday to get a seven day streak and the did the usual 5k parkrun on Saturday morning. It was 30 secs slower than I thought I could go so was a little disappointed but according to runbritain it was my best run given my current handicap. Had a long run Saturday lunchtime on some very tired legs, it was good but not great. Intended to go out today after reffing this morning but frankly I had lost my mojo. Looking forward to a week of reduced training. Have fun everyone
  • mbaker566
    edited February 2016
    Options
    had a good run on saturday. 7 miles. it felt really good after the first few miles. I'm going to try to do a half may 7th, if i can find a good deal on a hotel room-Door County HM. pictures below from DC

6448702203_c7175c3ecd_m.jpgpier
    4861797360_6a1d88d5e9_m.jpggoat
    4667066565_88794b38c9_m.jpgbench sunset
    4651222397_511c5107b2_m.jpgeagletower
  • ftrobbie
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Had a rest day today, but got bored so went out for a gentle bike ride for 80 minutes just got over 18 miles done in and around the city. Found a couple of roads I never knew existed. The fun of not having a plan.
  • brant710
    brant710 Posts: 134 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I must confess I've neglected the check ins. I'm using the Active 5k to 10k app. I start week 5 tomorrow. Week 4 day 3 was a 45 minute run and while not easy, it was much easier than I would have ever dreamed. I just think about how on September 1st I struggled to run 1 minute.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    brant710 wrote: »
    I must confess I've neglected the check ins. I'm using the Active 5k to 10k app. I start week 5 tomorrow. Week 4 day 3 was a 45 minute run and while not easy, it was much easier than I would have ever dreamed. I just think about how on September 1st I struggled to run 1 minute.

It's amazing the progress you make, I started C25k in June 2014 and am now in training to run 69 miles in under 24 hours. Keep at it, this group is pretty casual, come and go as you please. I find reading about other peoples exploits here given some of the conditions they have, truly inspirational. It has helped me during low points with injuries. Good luck and continue that amazing progress
  • brant710
    Options
    Week 5 day 1 in the books. A 15 minute run felt really short.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    sigh, can't seem to get motivated this month
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    sigh, can't seem to get motivated this month

• mbaker566
    Options
    I'm working on bringing a trip to Door County for a half. I need to reserve the room and register still, but other than that i have a virtual in june and maybe a 5k run in march (pi run).
  • brant710
    Options
    Week 5 day 2 in the books. I know I'm really slow but I'm excited for the first time I had a sub 11 minute pace. Ran 1.7 miles in 18 minutes.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    brant710 wrote: »
    Week 5 day 2 in the books. I know I'm really slow but I'm excited for the first time I had a sub 11 minute pace. Ran 1.7 miles in 18 minutes.

Slow is relative don't let comparison be the thief of joy. Be happy in your success and have fun.

• ftrobbie
    Options
    Tuesday, Wednesday and today - 6,4 and 6 miles. Tuesday and Wednesday good sessions, meeting the planned requirements for the sessions. Todays was blah, never got going, so missed all the pace requirements. Not sure if it's the accumulation of early starts and late finishes at work, the cold or the first signs of pushing training too hard. Rest day tomorrow, so looking forward to Saturday to see what it brings.

Have fun