Daily check in for Keto friends...

Options

Replies

• 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    kimbo8435 wrote: »
    Last night, DH and I went back through the planner I kept from last year. In it, I documented my seizures and my head tremors; the severity, the duration, any other aches/pains/dizziness/fogginess. I kept track of all my appointments, the reactions to each medication and the friggin botox shots into the muscles of my neck. It was a good slap in the face- I really need to keep this planner and look through it every few weeks or so to remind me why I will NEVER go back to high carbs. DH remembered way more stuff because my memory at the time was really affected by the distraction of the tremors AND he was my full time caregiver.

Things are so vastly different after keto. I can be my husband's wife- not his patient. My boss is handing me more challenging and exciting projects at work when before she wasn't sure if she should fire me for my own benefit. I am able to chase and wrestle my son when before he could barely hug me because he was afraid to hurt my neck. I'm able to drive long distances, when I wasn't able to drive at all before. I'm growing my hair out- I'd had to cut it to a short bob to get the weight of my hair off my sore neck. I can throw the ball for my dog without pain. I don't have to have reading glasses anymore because my head now stays still when I read (I'm a librarian so reading is not optional). I have energy to work a full day, go to the gym, AND spend family time when before, I couldn't make it 8 hours at work. The funny or pitying looks people gave me- gone. The benefits are too numerous... but also too easy to forget how bad it had gotten. My brain, not that I blame it, wants to get rid of those bad memories.

Sunday will make it 2 months without tremors. According to that planner, I've not gone more than 4 days without tremors before. This is why I passed by the ice cream bar without a twinge of temptation in the cafeteria today!!! I look at those gooey cookies, hot fudge, sprinkles--- I see pain and tremors. High carbs look like the path back to my own personal hell. 4 years of tremor hell was solved by 4 days of this WOE. Even IF the tremors come back, because I can't rule that out, I will have had a nice reprieve.

Amazing!!!!!
  • dessiepenn
    dessiepenn Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    @kimbo8435 that is truly amazing. I'm so happy for you.
  • kimbo8435
    kimbo8435 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I have to be honest w/ you all... I didn't actually have keto prescribed to me by my doc. I just started it and asked forgiveness later. I was surprised to find that my neurologists (yes, I have multiple) were excited for me and didn't give me any reason to stop. I don't usually whine about how hard things were, but the drastic change makes me want to shout it from the rooftops! I'm finding more and more people that are coming to me with their neuro difficulties--- epilepsy, Parkinson's, essential and dystonic tremors or other movement disorders, Tourette's, and even behavior disorders. They ask me if it will help, and I tell them the honest truth--- what could it hurt to try? Either it will or won't help; brains are unique, weird and mysterious and there is no possible way that it's going to work for everyone. But it is working for me. Happy Friday to you all!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    kimbo8435 wrote: »
    Thanks guys! I have to be honest w/ you all... I didn't actually have keto prescribed to me by my doc. I just started it and asked forgiveness later. I was surprised to find that my neurologists (yes, I have multiple) were excited for me and didn't give me any reason to stop. I don't usually whine about how hard things were, but the drastic change makes me want to shout it from the rooftops! I'm finding more and more people that are coming to me with their neuro difficulties--- epilepsy, Parkinson's, essential and dystonic tremors or other movement disorders, Tourette's, and even behavior disorders. They ask me if it will help, and I tell them the honest truth--- what could it hurt to try? Either it will or won't help; brains are unique, weird and mysterious and there is no possible way that it's going to work for everyone. But it is working for me. Happy Friday to you all!

I hadn't thought about Tourette's! My boss's son has that, and I remember for years, it wasn't responding well to medications, but his mother is selling Plexus now, so he's probably on that, but if not, I'll remember this if it comes up in convo again! :)
  • Angelszophia
    Angelszophia Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    ;)
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Fantastic, Kim!! It's all about feeling good, the smaller number on the scale and your clothes are just a bonus.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    @kimbo8435 , thanks so much for sharing your experience. My nephew has very mild ticks and twitches (not currently medically explained) and your recent posts got me wondering if cutting out carbs and sugar could help him.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Has anyone gone on vacation for a week or more and successfully maintained Keto?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I didn't bother to try because I did the staycation thing and my guy us a pain about eating separate meals, but I think I could easily maintain it on an actual VACATION....
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    Has anyone gone on vacation for a week or more and successfully maintained Keto?

Yup. I just planned ahead by looking over restaurants and what they offer for us keto folk. And brought nuts and jerky for emergencies.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    i have done it. i think it was a mindset, that the place and people were the vacation. food was not included and as i recall i was spartan and fierce about it, logging everything, getting what i need in place and just shut the food out. even at a restaurant you can have plain meat and dry salad greens. i remember that the long road trip was a big challenge for me as i usually had a wide range of free range snack options within arms reach. so that was gone. again, the mindset of being bigger than the food craving in a ferocious way made the difference of being able to succeed.. much easier at home. (usually)
    good luck!
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Guess who hit a milestone today ? Yep, it's ME !!! Down 50 from September. Started out doing carb cycling, to LCHF, to very low carb-Keto ( most days anyways ) ...still not fat adapted but working on it. Ideally, I have another 40-50 to go, but I've decided to not get too hung up on an actual number on the scale, but rather go by pant sizes....so next goal is to be down two sizes by June 1, and then another two sizes by Oct 1.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    pwrfl1- that is so awesome... great way to set goals, too. im getting very sick of my miserly, stubborn scale! lol. im scouring the threads looking for inspiration today - so, many thanks for your share. desparately seeking revitalization!!!!
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    i have done it. i think it was a mindset, that the place and people were the vacation. food was not included and as i recall i was spartan and fierce about it, logging everything, getting what i need in place and just shut the food out. even at a restaurant you can have plain meat and dry salad greens. i remember that the long road trip was a big challenge for me as i usually had a wide range of free range snack options within arms reach. so that was gone. again, the mindset of being bigger than the food craving in a ferocious way made the difference of being able to succeed.. much easier at home. (usually)
    good luck!

That's awesome advice! I'm headed to the Dominican of or a week on Sunday and am not sure what to do. I'm torn between throwing caution to the wind and getting back to it when I return or psyching myself up to try to be strict...
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    Guess who hit a milestone today ? Yep, it's ME !!! Down 50 from September. Started out doing carb cycling, to LCHF, to very low carb-Keto ( most days anyways ) ...still not fat adapted but working on it. Ideally, I have another 40-50 to go, but I've decided to not get too hung up on an actual number on the scale, but rather go by pant sizes....so next goal is to be down two sizes by June 1, and then another two sizes by Oct 1.

Wow! 50lbs! That's awesome!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    good luck!

That's awesome advice! I'm headed to the Dominican of or a week on Sunday and am not sure what to do. I'm torn between throwing caution to the wind and getting back to it when I return or psyching myself up to try to be strict...

Throwing caution to the wind over the holidays is what lead me to this suffering loop from Hades, @4031isaiah! You might have more flexibility, but if you're metabolically challenged at all, I SOOOO do not recommend this. Maybe an off plan item per day or a bite of a local must try food, because after all, it is vacation, but going full tilt willy nilly is bound to be regretted at some point upon returning home... HUGS
  • Angelszophia
    Angelszophia Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    pwrfl1 wrote: »

Wow! 50lbs! That's awesome!
    . Thank You !!

• pwrfl1
    Options
    pwrfl1- that is so awesome... great way to set goals, too. im getting very sick of my miserly, stubborn scale! lol. im scouring the threads looking for inspiration today - so, many thanks for your share. desparately seeking revitalization!!!!
    . Thanks Elize! Glad the timing worked out for you !

• pwrfl1
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    good luck!

Throwing caution to the wind over the holidays is what lead me to this suffering loop from Hades, @4031isaiah! You might have more flexibility, but if you're metabolically challenged at all, I SOOOO do not recommend this. Maybe an off plan item per day or a bite of a local must try food, because after all, it is vacation, but going full tilt willy nilly is bound to be regretted at some point upon returning home... HUGS
    ^^This !!!^^. Think of it 80/20.... 80percent on plan , 10 off....or whatever works for you. Do you IF? I find that helps me greatly when traveling . Have a wonderful time in the sun !