Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    The irony around kick strength is that I have a Killer Breast Stroke kick.
    My Breast Kick is stronger than my Breast Stroke Arm Pull.
    That is if I do a Timed 50m length with a Pull Buoy and just arms then repeat with a kickboard my kick 50m is 10 seconds faster than my Arm Pull. Front crawl is the opposite - its probably 60 seconds slower.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    1600 42:57
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Count me in with the big kickers! These legs are good for something! I went to a clinic one time and the first thing the coach said was "Wow, what a kick!" :smile:

I did not swim today. I went to spinning class instead. I made the decision a few days ago to take off swimming for the month of March. I need to get my mojo back. Except for a few surgeries, I haven't missed more than a week or two of swimming since I started 12 or so years ago. I knew almost everyone in spin class (it's a small town) and I heard a lot of "Gosh Melissa, what are you doing out of the pool?!"

I'll keep checking up on you guys though. So swim on!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    54 laps ~ 72 minutes. Happy to have gotten a third swim in this week. Been averaging two because of scheduling issues the past few weeks.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    1 MILE @ 65 MINUTES
  • juliet3455
    Options
    A bit of a Double Dip Day.
    Went for a noon hour swim. Even though the pool was warm I managed 1500m.
    1000 front crawl, 250 back and 250 breast.
    Had my Lessons at 6:00pm. 1200m of drills. My legs were absolutely dead tonight so front crawl was a real struggle.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yesterday (Thursday) - 33m pool:
    198 m warm up
    66m x 10 on 1:40
    33m x 10 on 0:50
    33m x 10 on 0:50
    198 m warm down
    All freestyle sprints. On sprint days, I Try to go all out on each sprint giving it as close to 100% as I can or am able to, then gulping for air during the break as my heart rate drops down a few notches, before the next all out sprint.
    Distance covered is about half of the distance I would cover in the same time during my long swim days due to the long rests, but the speed per 100 during those short bursts is way higher!

Next swim probably on Monday as I rest up! It's been a hard week of training in the pool!
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Wow! This kicking problem is widespread!
    Emma and mpeters (Melissa) y'all are lucky.
    Planning to get one of those combined kick board pull buoy things in the next week or two and begin to incorporate kick sets a lot more as I try to improve my kicking in a big way.
    Will probably be scouring the net for resources on good kicking technique and check out the kicks section of any swim books I have - I usually just gloss over those parts :smile:
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I should probably work on my kick more as well although it has improved A LOT since I have been running.
    Last night another tough one, although it was supposed to be a taper before a meet this weekend (which i won't be swimming in)
    400 warm up
    4x100kick with fins
    4x (50m on 50s + 200 on 3:10 +50 on 1min)
    6X100 IM on 2:00
    12x 25m all out sprints on 1:20
    300 cool down
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    1600 43:28
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    2650y 62 minutes. Need to get back to doing some intervals but it's so relaxing to just crank out the laps.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Interesting....Mmm my crawl kick has probably got worse - since the coaching i had last year was v focussed on free style pull with minimal kick....so i do very little powering from the legs nowadays unless i sprint.

And i laughed out loud at the idea of your breast stroke kick being strongercthan your arm pull being a surprise J3455. If i relied on arm pull for breastroke power it might take a month to reach the other end of the pool...! (Mind you frankly my kick is pretty runbish too speed wise. Breast is not best for me!)

I often do kicksets - so i'm interested in the comparative times for each now...thanks for another intetesting question to take to the pool!

Hope the month off does its stuff MP.

Ah yes, I did not swim today .... But i wish i had. Does that count???

(It has been full pn parents health/care wise this week)
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Yuk session today

200 free
    150 back
    150 br
    50 fly

10x100 free on 2.00 odds hard evens steady

8x 60s vertical kick with fins alt free/fly

300IM

100 easy

The vertical kick sure showed me how weak my core is!
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Not a good swim today. Wanted to do two miles but came up short:3250 yards in 81 minutes. 6 minutes of that was recovery from calf cramps. Last five swims I've been cramping up at 2500 yards. Felt very sluggish today. But the sun was out and I had a lane to myself so that worked out ok.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    @emma - I had never heard of vertical kicking so looked it up - that looks hard! Unfortunately the pools I swim in are all shallow so i wouldnt be able to attempt that.

Back swimming today - much needed. Just did a gentle 1750m as felt very sluggish.
  • juliet3455
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    Yuk session today
    @emmab0902 my swim was also YUK today. Thursday and Friday were School Holidays for Teachers Conventions so the Lane Swims were Stupid Busy. I was in the fast lane ( 2nd fastest swimmer which never happens ) and when the 6th person joined the lane I bailed. Just no way to get a rhythm when you are lane locked behind someone. All of the lanes had 6-8 swimmers so most of us regulars bailed out.

Like @60sPanda I had never heard of Vertical Kick so off to Dr. Google and I like it-hope it will help me. Probably try 15-20 second sets and see how it goes from there. Thanks @emmab0902 one more new drill to add to my skill set days.

20 lengths = 500m, normally I would try a minimum of 1000m (40 lengths)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    This kick discussion is so interesting. I am always listening to my inner dialogue (it never shuts off, sigh), and because I know my kick is weak, I have been really talking to my legs lately. We do a lot of these vertical kick drills in the cardio class. Often, it is during our tabata workout. So I know that I have a good kick (technique), but unless I really engage my lower abs and KICK, it's weak. Bottom line: it could be good, but it isn't :(

I did swim today. Went to a not-as-challenging weekend class, and then did 30 min (1000y), focusing on, what else?
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Swam a good set today.
    500m free / 400m kicks various / 200m crawl with fins / 200m crawl with pullboy thing / 100m breast with fly legs / 600m free (making sure that each 50 metres was under 1 minute.

Feels good to be back!

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    Oh panda, you're making me tired, lol...
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Did my Monday mile.5