Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    xLyric wrote: »
    W8D3 done, which means C25K DONE! I use the Zenlabs app, which lets you do timed or distance, so even though I'm not quite doing 5ks yet, I can do 30 minutes, and I'm calling that a success. I'm going to stay at 30 for another week or two before moving on to the Bridge program, because I don't think I would survive going straight on, haha.

I honestly didn't think I'd run at all today, I was so exhausted all day despite getting a good amount of sleep I figured I'd just walk, but I tried anyway, and this run was actually pretty good until the last 6ish minutes. Towards the end I started to get breathless and a bit nauseated, and I think I may have been overheating a bit or something. It wasn't so bad I needed to stop, though, so I pushed through and finished. Thought I might pass out once I started cooldown, though, and then very nearly did throw up on the way back to my apartment. I have no idea what was going on. The nausea stuck around until a couple of hours ago (long past the run). I didn't increase my speed or anything. I think I may be getting sick. Bleh.

Congrats if you got through that gross novel, :lol: .

Awesome!!! Congratulations!
    What are you planning to do now?
  • Aine8046
    Options
    @SunnyDuckling nice job re-starting! Remember: its not how many times you fall, its how many times you get back up again! Just keep moving...

@NancyN795 I know how you feel. I think Week 5 was the "Uh-Oh" week for me. I will tell you one secret: DON'T LOOK AHEAD! It was so much easier to just show up and have no clue what I was supposed to run. Just do it!

@xLyric you and me both! I just finished this morning, too! I'm not quite running the full 5K distance (3.1 miles), but I've got the 30 minutes thing down pretty good. I had a horrible nights sleep last night, so I think that really affected my running. With about 7-8 minutes left I had to slow down and take it easy, was starting to feel it in my stomach. I fired it back up with about 6 minutes left and knocked it out. Wasn't my best run ever, but I got through it. Now I will focus on my distance more than my time and try to get the full 5K in.

Just need to find me a 5K to run in soon and I'll be golden!

Keep on keeping on, everyone!

Congrats too! I always believed in you! :)
  • Aine8046
    Options
    W2d1 done. Tired and slow, but, well, bad runs happen... I still ran, that's what matters!
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic, @brian_gunther! I think mine might be sleep related as well, even though I thought I'd been getting enough.

@Aine8046 Your encouragement each week was incredibly helpful, so thank you! (And thanks to everyone else in the group, it helps so much to have this group to come to!) I'm going to stay at 30 minutes for at least a week, and then move to the Bridge program. I've been looking at virtual races like the Hogwarts Running Club and Beat the Blerch just to get my feet wet, and then we'll see about real runs. It's really starting to heat up here, though, so it might have to wait until fall.
  • amber_beaney
    amber_beaney Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Well, I did W9D3 last night so that is C25K done for me, woop woop! My dad has been running with me and he bought me a medal for having finished it - a little bit sad I know, but it is about my first ever sport related accomplishment so it kind of feels well earned haha.

@xLyric - Well done!

@brian_gunther - Well done to you too! I am the same, I can do 30 mins but not quite up to 5K yet so that's my plan for now - I willprobably spend the next week or so sticking to 30 minutes and seeing if I naturally get any further distance wise, then I might step it up to 32 minutes for a week and then 35 etc etc. The 3rd 30min run was the best out of all 3 for me, the first 2 I ended up feeling a bit nauseous, but the 3rd was a lot better, so I am hoping that if I stick to doing another week of 30 mins then my body will feel a bit more comfortable with 30 mins before I start really pushing the distance.

Well done everyone, everyone is doing great no matter how far into the programme they are! :)
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic, @amber_beaney! And I love the medal, how cute!
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    W4D2 done. Slower than last time, and I had a bit of a stitch in my side for a while (I concentrated on breathing and it got better), but I didn't have to drop to a walk, so I'm happy. I was hot and sweaty when I got back, but felt pretty good a little while later.

I'm a little worried that my shoes are wrong. They felt good when I bought them but my right foot is getting a bunion! So, I think I may need different shoes. I haven't changed any of my other footwear recently, so...

Congrats to everyone who is finishing up!

@brian_gunther : There's a couple of reasons the "don't look ahead" advice doesn't work for me. First - I've done the program before, but on the treadmill, using time. This time I'm doing it outside, based on distance. So, I already have some idea of what is coming. Second - I hate, hate, hate surprises. Really. If a book I'm reading gets too suspenseful, I read the end so I know how it turns out. I read the synopsis on TV episodes before we stream them. I never mind hearing or reading "spoilers". So, I'm happier knowing what to expect.
  • Aine8046
    Options
    Well, I did W9D3 last night so that is C25K done for me, woop woop! My dad has been running with me and he bought me a medal for having finished it - a little bit sad I know, but it is about my first ever sport related accomplishment so it kind of feels well earned haha.

Congratulations! This is awesome! :)
    Now time for "real" race! :)
  • Aine8046
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    W4D2 done. Slower than last time, and I had a bit of a stitch in my side for a while (I concentrated on breathing and it got better), but I didn't have to drop to a walk, so I'm happy. I was hot and sweaty when I got back, but felt pretty good a little while later.

I'm a little worried that my shoes are wrong. They felt good when I bought them but my right foot is getting a bunion! So, I think I may need different shoes. I haven't changed any of my other footwear recently, so...

Congrats to everyone who is finishing up!

@brian_gunther : There's a couple of reasons the "don't look ahead" advice doesn't work for me. First - I've done the program before, but on the treadmill, using time. This time I'm doing it outside, based on distance. So, I already have some idea of what is coming. Second - I hate, hate, hate surprises. Really. If a book I'm reading gets too suspenseful, I read the end so I know how it turns out. I read the synopsis on TV episodes before we stream them. I never mind hearing or reading "spoilers". So, I'm happier knowing what to expect.
    Keep killing week 4! :)
    Right shoes are important - I tried several ones before I found what works for me. Try a good sport shoe store where they videotape you running on the treadmill... They can check your stride and recommend different shoes!

• Aine8046
    Options
    I missed my workout yesterday, but made it up today - W2D2 is done!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @xLyric , @amber_beaney and @brian_gunther Well done and glad to see that you all have a plan to spend a little more time doing the 30 minute run , could be interesting to see if your distance slowly increases as you keep the same time goal.

@xLyric You said it best about the great encouragement from @Aine8046 .
  • NancyN795
    Options
    Week 4 done! Yesterday felt really good. I'm not dreading week 5 because I wasn't feeling desperate to stop running at any point. I just ran really, really slowly up the hills and made sure not to increase my speed too much on the downhill sections. I am really enjoying running outside instead of on the treadmill. When I did C25K on the treadmill, I watched the clock constantly, counting down the time until I could slow to a walk. Yesterday out on the road, not so much.

@Aine8046 - I got the shoes at a running shoe store where they videotape you running on a treadmill! They felt good at the time and actually still don't hurt when I wear them. But, I had been wearing them for our 4.8 mile daily walk, as well as for my runs and since I stopped wearing them for walks, my foot is better. So, I'm thinking I'll get different shoes for our walks (I've been wearing some shoes that aren't ideal for the walks, but have more room in the toes) but hopefully be able to continue wearing the shoes for my runs, since the runs are shorter and not every day. I'd really prefer to wear out the shoes rather than have wasted the money on them, but I haven't decided that for sure yet.
  • Aine8046
    Options
    Week 4 done! Yesterday felt really good. I'm not dreading week 5 because I wasn't feeling desperate to stop running at any point. I just ran really, really slowly up the hills and made sure not to increase my speed too much on the downhill sections.

This is important! Sometimes I have really bad days and I just know I need slow down to almost walking.

As for the shoes I am only using my running shoes (which are very light, kind of minimalistic) for running... I walk in a different pair.
  • Aine8046
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »

@xLyric You said it best about the great encouragement from @Aine8046 .

Thank you guys! I just remember how much it helped me when I started. It still helps me to see the board active, and I am glad I can motivate somebody! :)
    We can do it together! :)
  • Stech1982
    Stech1982 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Just finished w7 d3. So excited I'm a first runner.
  • Aine8046
    Options
    W2D3 is done! Running today was awful! My gym was closed, and the weather outside was terrible - snow and rain and sleet... I still took the dog with me and we went for a 45 min run... We both came back all soaked and cold... Still, week 2 is done! Week 3, here I come :)
  • Aine8046
    Options
    So far my training included only 2.5-3 mile runs, but next week the mileage will start increasing. I think I am ready! :)
  • NancyN795
    Options
    @Aine8046 : Good for you for doing it anyway. That weather sounds awful.

I started W5 yesterday. I'd been planning to take the standard 2 days off between weeks, but when I looked at my plans for today and the weather forecast, I decided it would be better to do it a day early. It wasn't as good a run as on Friday, but I didn't struggle and was glad I got it over with. And, the weather was pretty good running weather - cloudy, not hot, not windy.
  • Aine8046
    Options
    @Aine8046 : Good for you for doing it anyway. That weather sounds awful.

I started W5 yesterday. I'd been planning to take the standard 2 days off between weeks, but when I looked at my plans for today and the weather forecast, I decided it would be better to do it a day early. It wasn't as good a run as on Friday, but I didn't struggle and was glad I got it over with. And, the weather was pretty good running weather - cloudy, not hot, not windy.

Great! Kill Week5! :)

• NancyN795
    Options
    W5D2 done. I'll admit, at this point the idea of running 2 full miles without walking on my next run is now intimidating me a bit. I did the 3/4 mile runs today without too much trouble, but the one that was mostly uphill was pretty tough and I was feeling it in my knees by the end of the final run. I always worry about my knees.