Bob Lamb - OMAD 9/6/2015

Options

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Lipka1le wrote: »
    Great job on the jogging!

Thanks, like you I'm trying to get so I can run some 5ks. In the area where I live, there is a spring and fall cross country series with 8 races each (one a week). They start April 6th. I'm going to try to do those! I'm excited to try, if I go slow I should be able to run the whole thing. Most of last summer I was hobbled with gout and when I wasn't, I could probably just manage .25 miles at 12 min mile pace only. I think I might be able to do around a 30 min 5k right now so that is a LOT better! In an earlier life (20s), I've ran up to about 18 miles at a 7:00 per mile pace during the middle of a 60 mile/ week training phase. Those were the days!
  • blambo61
    Options
    WEEK 29 Report
    Date: 3/26/16

Start Weight/Height/Age/Start Date:
    252 / 6'1" / 54 / 06 Sept 2015

Weekly Weight Loss:
    4, 3, 3, 1, 3, (1), 5, 3, 2, 2, 1, (2), 4, 1, 2, (2), 0, 3, 1, 2, 0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 1

Total Weight Loss:
    42-lbs / 29-wks

Current Weight:

Weeks Comments:
    Finally got over the Popeyes weight gain! Lost the extra and one for the week.
    Getting closer to 200! Had some good runs this week. Ran today on shoreline trail for 50 minutes. About 40 of it was a jog and 10 minutes walking on the steep parts. Felt good. Also did a 21 min fartlek 180m hard / 180m easy this week. Ate two bowls of cut strawberries and bananas tonight with a lot of cream on it. That was good! Nothing much else to report. Kept the diet every day this last week and except Sunday when I ate a large salad for lunch and didn't start today until about 2:30 or so (it's my cheat day and I usually eat earlier.). Started eating big salads with olive oil on it. I really like that! Out.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    You are one mean, efficient machine!
  • Lipka1le
    Lipka1le Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I love hearing about your jogs. I think this year my runs will be breast cancer 5k, autism 5k, and one for the animal shelter. There's also one in Dec called the Santa run for the local food bank that my daughter did last year, it's only .5 mile and made for the kids. She loved it.
  • blambo61
    Options

Haven't been as fast at losing weight as you but I am still making progress so that is good!
  • blambo61
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I love hearing about your jogs. I think this year my runs will be breast cancer 5k, autism 5k, and one for the animal shelter. There's also one in Dec called the Santa run for the local food bank that my daughter did last year, it's only .5 mile and made for the kids. She loved it.

Thanks,

I like running, just wish I was better. I used to run a lot when younger and competed some (mostly 800m but did the mile and the 400 some too but found out late my best event was the 200m). I love running on the trails at the foothills. There are turns and some slight up and downhill sections and some steep stuff too. I hope to build up to a good pace for an hour on the trails. Good luck to you also. Running can be a lot of fun once you get under a certain weight and if your feeling good. I haven't run much for a long time so I'm enjoying it! Knock on wood I can avoid injury! Joe (arguablysamson) runs also. I've seen some of his posts about some of his workouts.

Today I warmed up 1/2 mile then ran 2-laps(360m) x 2, 5x1-lap all at a 6:00 min/mile pace with equal walk in between each interval for 1-mile total. Warmed down 1/2 mile. Lifted weights (just deadlift, squat, and calf raises) then biked for 10-min. I think that is too fast for my legs at my weight right now and will go back to just doing some fartlek cause I go slower doing that and I think it will decrease injury risk. What kind of training are you doing?
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »

Haven't been as fast at losing weight as you but I am still making progress so that is good!

Think nothing of it. You did that by choice, and if anything, your slow-going, steady-reassessment approach is really no less impressive. I am all-or-nothing by nature, so I threw in the kitchen sink in my efforts. You are slow-and-steady-wins-the-race, and that is a manifestation of strength as well.

More and more updates of victory! I love them all!
  • blambo61
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You are all too kind! I was out of town for the last three days on a spring break with the kids and wife. We went down to St George Utah which had very nice warm weather. Got in a lot of hiking and some bike rides (1-2+ hours each day approximately). Got back and I had gained-ready----6 lbs (from wed morn to sat morn)! I know it is because of holding water due to all the exercise and also I didn't keep the diet for the three days I was on the break. It will be interesting to see how long it takes me to get back to where I was. I doubt I gained more than 1-lb fat max due to all the exercise I did (and the body can't gain fat that fast I think) andI should be close to where I was in three days I'm guessing.

Today I golfed with one of my boys (on a short course) and walked for about 1.5 hours. Later went and ran the shoreline trail and did 40-min of running and 12 min of steep hill hiking (harder than the jogging) for 52 min of exercise. I'm kind of hammered right now from it all but feel good still.

I'm logging this week as a 1-lb gain for the week because that was my lightest weight for the week (I always log my lightest weight for the week in my report but put in actual weights into mfp). See ya!
  • blambo61
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Ran/jogged my 1st 5k in probably 20-yrs. Ran 30:14. Elevation was 4600ft or so. Loop course. 1st mile was 8:38. Next 2 were at about 10:20 pace. Overall was 9:45 min/mile pace. Slow but a great improvement for me. Last summer I could barely walk due to gout issues and when not having gout issues could maybe run 1/4-mile continuous and probably at only a 12:00 min/mile pace.

That was fun. They have 7 more the next 7 Wednesdays so I'm going to try to do one each week for the next 7 weeks.

This morning was at my same weight that I was a week ago before going on spring break.
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Your runtimes are very good. And you are really staying with it, despite your struggles.

How much animal consumption are having? It's pretty well agreed that cutting out or way cutting down animal product consumption gives big relief from gout. Would you ever consider going semi-vegetarian for a while to see how much relief you might get?
  • Lipka1le
    Lipka1le Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Great job on the run! 1st in 20 yrs? You must be so proud of yourself. Considering that info I don't think 9:45 pace is bad at all. I wouldn't be able that.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Thanks all!

My spring break wasn't really struggles though. I planned on not dieting but it did cost me two weeks of potential losses since I didn't lose last week and just got back to where I was this week from last week.

I don't think I eat a lot of animal products but haven't really logged it to see. I do drink milk, eat yogurt and eggs and cheese. I don't eat a lot of read meat. That is why I take whey protein in the evenings because we usually don't have a lot of red meat. I eat fish also and we eat a lot of legumes. I'm sure if I made cuts it would help like you said Joe. Going vegetarian doesn't sound like a lot of fun. If I have to I will I guess. I'm on alopurinol which has been controlling it. My dad had to take it and my brother takes it so I think there is some hereditary issues there as well.

Gout is aggravated by being fat (higher turn over of cells is what I've read) and it is also aggravated when losing weight since your digesting the fat when you lose weight. Almost a catch 22. I hope when I get both skinny and am not losing weight anymore that I can gradually get off of the medication and control it with diet. AVC helps knock down gout attack by the way. I'm not sure if it lowers uric acid levels though which is what causes gout (too high of uric acid level that precipitates out of blood and makes little sharp crystals that are then attacked by your immune system). I will see what happens when I get to those states and go from there. Tell then, can you pass the A-1 sauce please?:)
  • blambo61
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Great job on the run! 1st in 20 yrs? You must be so proud of yourself. Considering that info I don't think 9:45 pace is bad at all. I wouldn't be able that.

I don't remember running any races for that long. I have done a lot of hiking during that time, some jogging (walk/jog), swimming, and biking but I couldn't run continuous because I would go anerobic at a pace that was slower than walking pace. Now that I'm skinnier, it looks like I can do a 10:20 min/mile pace without going anerobic which is faster than walking so I officially declare myself a jogger now!

I am excited about it but it also seems ridiculously slow because in my late teens I was in 4:2x mile shape based on doing 3x 6/5 of a mile at a 5 min mile pace with a 5-min recovery in between (6 laps of a 5-lap per mile indoor track). I used to do that twice a week along with speed work and hills and distance runs. I also once ran about 15-miles at a 7:00 min/mile pace not including a 30-40 min mountain run in the middle of that. Not great but better than the average bear. I was better at the shorter distances (800m and on down) than I was at running distance.

My overall goal for this year, if I can stay healthy and injury free, is to run a mile in under 7 minutes and do a 5k at about an 8:00-min/mile pace. Will see if can get there. I will need to loose at lease another 20-lbs and train a lot to get there.
  • blambo61
    edited April 2016
    Options
    WEEK 30/31 Reports
    Date: 4/10/16

Weekly Weight Loss:
    4, 3, 3, 1, 3, (1), 5, 3, 2, 2, 1, (2), 4, 1, 2, (2), 0, 3, 1, 2, 0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 1, (1), 0

Total Weight Loss:
    41-lbs / 31-wks

Current Weight:

Weeks Comments:
    Week before last went on spring break. Didn't keep diet Wed, Thurs, Fri. Did do tons of exercise those days (hiking/biking). Saturday had a big family get together with lots of food so did about 18:6 type of fast but did eat a lot. I gained 6-lbs. My weight log was for the least I weighed that week which was Wed morn before going on spring break.

This last week I lost all the 6-lbs gained the previous week (mostly food weight and water weight from all the exercise). So my spring break didn't result in a weight gain but did result in me not losing any weight for 2-weeks. That was the price.

Even though I didn't lose weight, I've been exercising a lot and have made gains there so that made me fill good. Ran a 5k in 30:14 last week. Have another 5k this Wed. I put in a good fartlek workout today: 4x200m with 200m recovery jog, 2x200m with 300m recovery jog, 2x200m with 400m recover jog. 1/2 mile warmup and 1/2 mile warm-down. Faster 200m were at about 6:00 min/mile - 6:24 min/mile pace. Recovery jogs were probably 12:00 min/mile pace. Warmup and warmdown 10:min/mile pace. Total time 37 min of running.

Workouts changed to:
    Monday - I'm doing fartlek and weights with legs (deadlift, leg press, calf raises)
    Tues - Upper body and core weights
    Wed - I run a 5k,
    Thurs - Rest
    Friday - I do short 30-sec steep hill repeats with about a 2:45 recovery in between. Leg weight routine also.
    Sat - Long walk in mountains or long bike ride at real easy pace. Went for 2.5 hours last Saturday and hiked up to Adam's canyon waterfalls (3.8-miles round trip with 1610' elevation gain). I need to do upper body weights on this day too but may bail on that.

Trying to work up to an hour on the runs.

That is is. Good luck everyone!
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    You are continuing to do so very well, my man! And your lack of a loss appears to be related to your increasingly impressive activity and the muscular gains you are making, I'd betcha.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Hopefully I'm at least not losing muscle! I'm sure all the salty, sugary etc food on spring break was a big driver. If I don't cheat, I'm still losing about a lb a week so that isn't bad I think since I am pretty liberal in the evenings with the food. I would like to lose faster but I feel like I've lost enough now that I don't have to lose real fast now. When I first started it was about 3-lbs a week, then 2, now 1 but as long as I'm making some progress and I'm running better I'm happy with that. I do think, like you have recommended in the past, to not get too caught up in exercise tell you lose some weight. I think that might be best for some because I don't think you will lose weight as fast if you start exercising because it raises the appetite more. BMI might improve just as fast or faster with exercise but it is hard to see and might be discouraging for some. Also got to be very careful not to get injured if really heavy. I do think it is a good idea to watch the protein intake so as not to lose muscle while fasting and to help lessen cravings. See ya.
  • blambo61
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Anyone notice that their heart beats slower while fasted? My heart normally beats slow, 45 beats/min while fasted average, but goes to about 55 if I eat something. Those numbers are before working out. That is about a 22% increase from fasted to non-fasted! Could fasting increase longevity because it gives your heart and digestive system a rest?
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Anyone notice that their heart beats slower while fasted? My heart normally beats slow, 45 beats/min while fasted average, but goes to about 55 if I eat something. Those numbers are before working out. That is about a 22% increase from fasted to non-fasted! Could fasting increase longevity because it gives your heart and digestive system a rest?

Yes, that does happen, depending on the deficit, when done for a while. My resting heart rate is 44 beats per minute, like a runner. When you eat, it goes up. If you go a while eating multiple meals and/or up your activity levels, your body will increase it.

I can't imagine it not helping with that due to the fact that your heartrate is much lower, like the sea turtle that lives 250+ years? Maybe it has more to do with cell divisions or something, but it makes sense.
  • blambo61
    Options
    When I was in college, my resting heart rate was usually between 41 to 43 if rested. I even could really relax and measured it down to 36 acouple of times if I remember right. Before I lost 40 lbs on this diet my resting heartrate was low 50s (I did walk a lot but was still fat) but that probably wasnt fasted. I'm not sure what it might have been then fasted but I think the lowest it ever got then was about 48. Lately, I've measured mine down as low as 38 a few times while relaxing which I think I only saw once or twice in college (probably wasn't fasted in college). I want to measure my oxygen levels when it is that low because my dad had a condition where his was in the upper 20s and it gave him a mild stroke. He got a pacemaker and was then ok. I feel fine so I think a little training and being in the fasted stste is making it low and as long as my oxygen levels are good, I'm happy with that!
  • blambo61
    Options
    WEEK 32 Report

Date: 4/13/16

Weekly Weight Loss:
    4, 3, 3, 1, 3, (1), 5, 3, 2, 2, 1, (2), 4, 1, 2, (2), 0, 3, 1, 2, 0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 1, (1), 0, 1

Total Weight Loss:
    41-lbs / 32-wks

Current Weight:

Weeks Comments:
    Lost 1 lb for the week. Wed only ran 1-mile of 5k was a little sick and tried it but decided not to finish. Ran 1st mile, down-hill in 7:38 and walked back. Had a headache that day and ate so could take an advil. Sat ran a little and worked in the yard for a few hours. Think I was about 4/7 days on the diet. Been a very slow month for me losing weight but I've maintained well and have improved fitness. Will keep at it!