Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• KRPolo
    KRPolo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input. I am running right now in a pair of Saucony Guide 8's, but have logged about 50-60 miles a week over the past two weeks walking or running in them. Before that, I was only using them for running, and only about fifteen miles a week. I'm wondering it they may already be giving out on me, because I ran my 5k yesterday, and am particularly sore this am, mainly in my shins. Question is, if I get a new pair of shoes today and run in them this week, will they be good for my first ten miler next Sunday, or should I stick with my current pair? Thanks!
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Week4 Day 3 is done - 4 miles in perfect weather!
    Ready for Week5! :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    KRPolo wrote: »
    I'm wondering it they may already be giving out on me

The key question becomes what total distance you've run in them?

Shoes are normally good for 300-500 miles, although I'd suggest not walking in running shoes, except as part f your running training. The wear patterns are a bit different, so that lessens the life from a running perspective.
    Question is, if I get a new pair of shoes today and run in them this week, will they be good for my first ten miler next Sunday, or should I stick with my current pair? Thanks!

It's a little ambitious, but not unreasonable.

I ran 20km in my Xodus before using them in a half marathon without any real issues, other than the HM being in Westcountry miles, so about 14.5miles...
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the answers! It's great seeing where everyone's at. Got through W1D1 (4 10 minute runs) pretty easily, then had to take about a week off, and when I tried to do day 2 yesterday I got hit really bad with what I'm assuming was food poisoning about 10 minutes in. Not fun. I'm worried about being away for this long since by the next time I can run, not counting yesterday, it will have been almost a week and a half.
  • KRPolo
    edited April 2016
    Options
    An easy 5.5 miles this am on the track at work. I can't believe the run is on Sunday!! Very nervous that I haven't trained enough since I missed two of my long runs the last few weeks, but very excited for the run. I'm running for the American Cancer Society in memory of my mom who passed away ten years ago, and a close work friend whose service was yesterday, so I absolutely will finish for them.

I can't say enough about the c25k and 10k training plans for those people just getting started. Last year, I struggled to run for the 90 second blocks in the beginning of the program, and now, at 41 years old and still a bit overweight, I can run 10 miles without stopping. It really is a great program, so stick with it and don't doubt yourselves! You can do it! The support here has also been great- thank you to everyone who always answer my beginner questions!
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited April 2016
    Options
    So Marathon Week 5. Another disrupted week with my dog in surgery, then referred to a local surgery as he wasn't recovering well from the knife. He's back home now, but looking pretty sorry for himself. It meant a lot of time on trains for me, and an unexpected day off work, but the main thing is that he's now recovering, although I've got a weighty insurance claim to sort out.
    • 9km easy pace along the thames, using the Road Claws. Felt ok
    • 12km cruise intervals - Missed this one and unable to make up the difference
    • 12km easy pace in the woods using my Race Ultra.
    • 31km easy pace on mixed pavement and trail using my Hurricane 15s

The missed run means that Endomondo will re-analyse my plan and make some changes, so I'll need to add a bit of mileage to the plan this week, however that's the first time I've done the full 42km in two back to back runs. The final 5k of the 30km run was hard but not as brutal as I'd anticipated. I was pretty much on plan, 3hrs 30 for the 20 miles, which felt pretty reasonable and I'm not completely shattered today.

I've got two more weekends where I have similar mileage, getting to 48km over two back to backs in advance of the race, along with a race weekend where I'm doing at least 42km, probably a bit more.

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I ran a short 15 minute run with a co-worker who is just getting back into running. I think I need to get back on some sort of training plan. :neutral:
  • Aine8046
    Options
    It's so cold today (almost freezing) that I decided to run in a gym. Four miles on the treadmill. Pretty slow, but did W5D1.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Another 15 minute run with my coworker yesterday. I again felt kind of meh. I'll see how I do with today's practice 5k with my Girls on the Run group.
  • Aine8046
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    Another 15 minute run with my coworker yesterday. I again felt kind of meh. I'll see how I do with today's practice 5k with my Girls on the Run group.

• Aine8046
    Options
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    It's so cold today (almost freezing) that I decided to run in a gym. Four miles on the treadmill. Pretty slow, but did W5D1.
    Still cold, and another 4 miles pn the treadmill. Week5Day2. The weekend promises to be warmer and I am planing a long run outside.

• Just_Ceci
    Options
    I ran/ walked a 5k with my Girls on the Run group yesterday. Aliyah, who is 9, will be an awesome runner when she gets older. We finished in about 43 minutes. It was hot and my legs hurt today.

@Aine8046 I have done the Cancer challenge 5k or 10k in June for the last 3 years and will do it again this year. Part of the issue I'm having with running is that I'm now back on my bicycle and would much rather ride than run any day!
  • Aine8046
    Options
    Finished Week 5 today! Half way through! :)
    Was running past some beautiful blooming trees this morning!
    ir0ooyxnpfoi.jpg
  • KRPolo
    Options
    I did it!! Today, I ran the Broad Street 10 miler in Philadelphia to benefit the American Cancer Society! My actual time was 2:16, but that included a rather long line at the porta potty stop at mile 2, so I think total running time was about two hours. My main goal was to run the entire thing without walking, and I did it! Thanks to everyone here for all of the support and answers to my silly training questions- today is the first time I really feel like a runner!
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Well done.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Marathon week 6 - This week I've managed all my runs, although weekends I did in the evenings because I was travelling today and wanted to get both runs done within around 24 hours.

Generally things are going pretty well, although I'm starting to feel the effects of a lot of mileage. Most of my weeks are between 45 and 60km at the moment, so that's having an effect, not least on the amount I'm having to eat to keep going.

After last weeks missed session Endomondo recut the plan, and knocked off some mileage, although back to normal for the coming week. I added an extra 5km over three of the sessions, just to make up part of the balance.
    • 9km easy paced on tarmac wearing my Road Claws. Along the Thames.
    • 12km easy paced on tarmac again wearing my Road Claws, and also along the Thames. Stunning thunderstorm and hail, so a bit painful on the legs, but the effect of lightning and thunderclaps over my head were really impressive.
    • 9km easy paced on a mix of tarmac and trail, wearing my Hurricane 16s. I was out from home, and did it in the evening, so that I could syncronise with tonights long and get the back to back effect.
    • 21.1km easy paced on tarmac wearing my Road Claws. I flew to Glasgow this afternoon, so it was all a bit hectic getting housework done beforehand. Not fair on my partner to bail out for 2 hours this morning, so I opted to do the run after I arrived, out Westwards along the Clyde.

I'm not that keen on the Hurricanes, I found I was getting a bit of shin pain yesterday, which was a bit of a concern, although it eased after I got onto the trail. I'm pretty sure that my gait has evolved enough that significant forefoot cushioning is disagreeing with me.

Anyway, I opted to use the Road Claws for the 21.1km this evening, the longest I'd done in them and it took some thinking about as they're neutral and quite low drop. I got a PB for the distance, of 2:01:18, which I was very pleased with, and suggests that in race conditions, in a road race, I can easily get down below two hours for the distance

• Aine8046
    Options
    KRPolo wrote: »
    I did it!! Today, I ran the Broad Street 10 miler in Philadelphia to benefit the American Cancer Society! My actual time was 2:16, but that included a rather long line at the porta potty stop at mile 2, so I think total running time was about two hours. My main goal was to run the entire thing without walking, and I did it! Thanks to everyone here for all of the support and answers to my silly training questions- today is the first time I really feel like a runner!

Congrats!:)
  • cyndi2012
    cyndi2012 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    6k completed last Thursday, and tomorrow I will officially start 10k group training! So excited!
  • Aine8046
    Options
    Week 6 Day 1 is done! Nice and easy run outside!
    f8k0qclvb2fm.jpg
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I went for my first run since March last night. I've had to take the last month off from running (and everything else) so I was a little worried about how far my progress would have slipped in that time, but I set myself a goal of 20 mins continuous running rather than a distance, and i'm pleased to say I managed it.
    I intend on pushing this further each run, and will be going back to Running Club as of Monday, so I should be back to making progress towards 10k again pretty soon.