Daily Check In Thread

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    To Everyone in this group who worries that they are slow.

s5hsn6ahkqmn.jpg

And what each and everyone of us need to help improve our running.

3kfx7sva2c0z.jpg
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    I just got started on Sunday... did my first go around about 5 years ago but didn't finish. I've made good progress with other weight loss and fitness goals the past year+ and feel like I'm ready to tackle this again.

Quick question about pace... I'm using the app and going by time and not distance but using MapMyFitness simultaneously to give me an idea on distance and pace. When I finish the 30 minutes I am at about 2.5 miles, which is a little short of the 5K and my pace for the 2nd mile which would be the alternating run/walk is about 10:20 min/mile. I'm average height (5'10"), so not sure if my stride isn't long enough or if I need to bump up the pace.

I've seen other posts on this group not to worry about pace, so I'm not... but at the same time, I don't want to get finished with the program and not be able to actually finish a 5K.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    @rusgolden The purpose of the program is to build endurance. Don't worry about pace. Speed will come as you run more.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    I went back to Week 6 Day 1 today. The first run was pretty tough, but after that it got a bit easier. Of course, the 2nd half is always easier for me because it's down hill. It's been over a week since I was able to get out and do a C25k run. I had a few days with little to no exercise due to "life" and then bad weather kept me inside on the treadmill. Plus, my last run (W6D3) before the days off didn't go well and I ended up walking several times. So, I didn't think I was ready to go on to week 7. I decided the best course was just to repeat all of week 6.

@rusgolden : I did C25k last fall on the treadmill and "graduated" without coming anywhere near a 5k distance after trying before but failing. I was almost certainly trying to run too fast. The best advice is don't worry about your pace because if you try to go too fast then you're more likely to not finish at all. But, it did bug me that I didn't know how to get from being able to run for 30 minutes straight to being able to run 5k. The timed program doesn't have a provision for that.

I'm doing it all over again now, outside, using rundouble so that I can use distance, not time. It's harder (hills), the runs take me a little longer (today's run, with warm-up and cool down, took me over 40 minutes), but when I finish I'll be able to run a 5k that has a 200+ foot elevation gain.
  • inka912
    inka912 Posts: 66 Member
    Week 4 day 2 done. I ran outside for the first time and I did better than I thought I'd do. I finished the whole run with 12:17min/mile average pace, including warmup and cooldown. Not the fastest runner in the world but I am so proud of myself :smile:
  • rnurse82
    rnurse82 Posts: 94 Member
    I'm over here on W2D3 and according to mapmyrun did a 17 min mile! (Jog/walk) I am wayyyy behind you guys hahaha I know speed will come. Plus we live in the mountains so it's hard work lol

• rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Thanks @Just_Ceci and @NancyN795... For now I will just focus on getting through the program. If I'm still short of the 5K, I'll go back a couple weeks and repeat them for distance. I still think this is a good training program and not as concerned about finishing in 8 weeks. But for now, it is one week, one day at a time.
  • sueann10
    sueann10 Posts: 74 Member
    Loving all the scenery posts too Aine8046! Spring is definitely in the air. :)

Just came back from a long weekend away in Munich and Salzburg where I did a lot of walking. My left foot was playing up but didn't want 6 days to go by without doing W7 D2 (did D2 5 days ago) so forced myself to get up and run. I completed the run but found it was the hardest run so far. I'm not sure if it was because of all the walking I did or if my indulgence this weekend affected me but will monitor D3's run to see how I get on. For now I am happy with myself for completing W7 D2.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Did w5d2 today. You know what that means.... w5d3 is next (shudder).
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    @RespectTheKitty You are ready for this! Just slow down and keep telling yourself you can do it!
  • smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    I’m starting to think that my app is pausing or something without me noticing.

On Tuesday, I did W3D1, so 90 second run, 90 seconds walk, 3 min run, 3 min walk, rinse and repeat 

I was on the first run segment and thought it seemed REALLY long. However, everything feels really long when you’re just starting to run! lol I try to make a habit of not looking at my phone so I’m not counting down the seconds. Anyway, I made it through the first 90 second segment without checking. And the three minute segment was pretty easy.

When I got to the second 90 second segment, again, I thought it was super long. I was wrestling with myself to not check my phone cause I had made it through the first 90 seconds, so I could do it again.

When I finally gave up and checked the time remaining on my phone, it said 1 minute, 24 seconds! What?!?!? There was no way that I had only been running for 6 seconds cause I had already gone several blocks and had been giving myself a pep talk for at least the last two blocks. So, I watched the countdown to the next walk segment while I ran it out.

The whole run is supposed to take 28 minutes, but it actually took me 34 minutes according to MapMyRun.

I keep my phone in my pocket, so it’s not like I’m hitting buttons that would pause it, so I’m confused.

Anyway, I’m chalking it up to annoying, but on the bright side, I guess that means I actually can run longer than I give myself credit for cause I’m running during the pause segments too.
  • inka912
    inka912 Posts: 66 Member
    @smiles4jo it happened to me as well. But I was running on the treadmill that day. I could swear it paused for like 30 sec or so. But then I've started running outdoor and had both C25k and Endomondo turned on and there's no difference in timing. I don't know, I guess it was just a one time thing.

Week 4 done. I'm halfway there! :smile:
  • famousmel
    famousmel Posts: 149 Member
    smiles4jo wrote: »
    I’m starting to think that my app is pausing or something without me noticing.

On Tuesday, I did W3D1, so 90 second run, 90 seconds walk, 3 min run, 3 min walk, rinse and repeat 

I was on the first run segment and thought it seemed REALLY long. However, everything feels really long when you’re just starting to run! lol I try to make a habit of not looking at my phone so I’m not counting down the seconds. Anyway, I made it through the first 90 second segment without checking. And the three minute segment was pretty easy.

When I got to the second 90 second segment, again, I thought it was super long. I was wrestling with myself to not check my phone cause I had made it through the first 90 seconds, so I could do it again.

When I finally gave up and checked the time remaining on my phone, it said 1 minute, 24 seconds! What?!?!? There was no way that I had only been running for 6 seconds cause I had already gone several blocks and had been giving myself a pep talk for at least the last two blocks. So, I watched the countdown to the next walk segment while I ran it out.

The whole run is supposed to take 28 minutes, but it actually took me 34 minutes according to MapMyRun.

I keep my phone in my pocket, so it’s not like I’m hitting buttons that would pause it, so I’m confused.

Anyway, I’m chalking it up to annoying, but on the bright side, I guess that means I actually can run longer than I give myself credit for cause I’m running during the pause segments too.

Maybe your phone has 'self-actualized' and was adapting to your awesome endurance and attitude!!! Me, I'd burn the thing, the network you're on, and get a new app. I need a trusting relationship with my RunDouble during this trying time!!!!!
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    edited May 2016
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    I went back to Week 6 Day 1 today. The first run was pretty tough, but after that it got a bit easier. Of course, the 2nd half is always easier for me because it's down hill. It's been over a week since I was able to get out and do a C25k run. I had a few days with little to no exercise due to "life" and then bad weather kept me inside on the treadmill. Plus, my last run (W6D3) before the days off didn't go well and I ended up walking several times. So, I didn't think I was ready to go on to week 7. I decided the best course was just to repeat all of week 6.

Great idea to repeat Week6! Do not give up and keep pushing! :)
  • Aine8046
    inka912 wrote: »
    Week 4 day 2 done. I ran outside for the first time and I did better than I thought I'd do. I finished the whole run with 12:17min/mile average pace, including warmup and cooldown. Not the fastest runner in the world but I am so proud of myself :smile:
    Awesome! :)
  • Aine8046
    edited May 2016
    sueann10 wrote: »
    Loving all the scenery posts too Aine8046! Spring is definitely in the air. :)

Thanks! Here is one more from tonight's W6D2!
    vb4hoy8ffc6g.jpg
  • Aine8046
    sueann10 wrote: »

Just came back from a long weekend away in Munich and Salzburg where I did a lot of walking. My left foot was playing up but didn't want 6 days to go by without doing W7 D2 (did D2 5 days ago) so forced myself to get up and run. I completed the run but found it was the hardest run so far. I'm not sure if it was because of all the walking I did or if my indulgence this weekend affected me but will monitor D3's run to see how I get on. For now I am happy with myself for completing W7 D2.
    You are so close! Keep it up! :)
  • Aine8046
    Did w5d2 today. You know what that means.... w5d3 is next (shudder).

Good luck! Let us know how was it! :)
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    W6D2 done. It was pretty tough today but I completed the run. It had been a busy day with a 5 mile walk earlier and it was pretty hot out, but it could also have just been a tough day for no reason.

I thought I'd post a picture from my run as well. This is taken from about where I'm turning around and heading home, looking back to where I came from:

wdmvcwdgs7bw.jpg
  • Aine8046
    edited May 2016
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    W6D2 done. It was pretty tough today but I completed the run. It had been a busy day with a 5 mile walk earlier and it was pretty hot out, but it could also have just been a tough day for no reason.

I thought I'd post a picture from my run as well. This is taken from about where I'm turning around and heading home, looking back to where I came from:

wdmvcwdgs7bw.jpg

This is so pretty! Reminds me of southeast Idaho... Where is this?