NSV's = Non-scale Victories

Options

Replies

• clynns54
    clynns54 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    It's from varidesk.com. It easily goes from this height down to flat against the desk top. It's rock solid. I can lean on it, no wobble at all.

Thanks, that's actually the brand I was leaning toward.
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    chamblisk wrote: »
    Just before Labor Day last year, I had to go buy several pairs of capris in my smaller size to go to our State Fair. I pulled my summer clothes out today...(remember I was still scraping frost off my car every morning last week; today it is going to 90!!!)....and those capris are falling off. I don't see it in the mirror...I guess I am blind to my true body image. I will have to go shopping again. (Have I ever mentioned that I hate shopping?!?!) But maybe it won't be so bad now that I can wear "normal", stylish sizes. @E_Brault, maybe we should go shopping together!

I'm waiting for the fall season to shop. But if I'm not careful, I won't fit in my size 10s anymore (increased weight). Congrats on your progress.

• E_Brault
    Options
    It's said sitting is the new smoking. I installed a stand-up desk last week, and it's the smartest thing I've done in years of being mainly desk-bound. I feel 100% better at the end of the work day.

I've been looking at these too. I agree, sitting is the new smoking. What interests me even more are the treadmill desks. Some are a small treadmill platform that is placed where the seat would have been and then you need one of the desk platforms like you have.

Then there are pretty sophisticated looking treadmills with the built in desk that can be raised or lowered at the push of a button.

I apologize for not having the links for these products, but Mr. Google probably has even better ones since the last time I checked 6 months ago.

• marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Feels great!
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Using my standing desk all day not only feels great, it calculates out to an additional 400 calories.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    Bravo!
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,974 Member
    Options
    Using my standing desk all day not only feels great, it calculates out to an additional 400 calories.

Talk about your great bonuses!! Do you move from standing to sitting often or strictly standing?
  • Farback
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »

Talk about your great bonuses!! Do you move from standing to sitting often or strictly standing?

I've only been sitting to eat lunch. All those heavy squats have paid off. Legs are a bit sore from the change, but quickly adapting.
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Lot of chatter about Farback's new desk! I think some of us are jealous! I can't afford to buy one but thought I would share a little trick I have used....I replaced my chair with a large exercise ball and sit on that. Not burning as many calories, but it takes a little work by your core to stabilize. There have been studies done with elementary students using ball-chairs or just air cushions that help with increasing focus and reducing fidgeting. We have started using a few cushions in the classrooms with ADHD students...I don't have any concrete evidence but they seem to help.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    My coworker just got one. Every bit counts!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    My coworker just got one. Every bit counts!

Hmmm... I wonder if I should see about getting a standing desk?
  • Farback
    Options
    I highly (not sitting, get it?) recommend it. Im now on my feet all day till i get home, and it feels great. Posture improvments, no mid afternoon fatigue.
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Today's NSV....dogs and I just completed our first 4 mile "run" in under an hour. Considering there is an elevation change of almost 400 feet, there is a lot of hill on this route. And I didn't feel like I was dying. I know a 15 min/mile is not fast, but it is an accomplishment for this non-runner.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Today's NSV....dogs and I just completed our first 4 mile "run" in under an hour. Considering there is an elevation change of almost 400 feet, there is a lot of hill on this route. And I didn't feel like I was dying. I know a 15 min/mile is not fast, but it is an accomplishment for this non-runner.

As a non-runner myself I think you're doing fabulous. Heading out with my pooch soon and I totally know what you mean about the hills....LOL, I generally walk that part of my route so you're ahead of me girl!

A great NSV!
  • E_Brault
    Options
    Lot of chatter about Farback's new desk! I think some of us are jealous! I can't afford to buy one but thought I would share a little trick I have used....I replaced my chair with a large exercise ball and sit on that. Not burning as many calories, but it takes a little work by your core to stabilize. There have been studies done with elementary students using ball-chairs or just air cushions that help with increasing focus and reducing fidgeting. We have started using a few cushions in the classrooms with ADHD students...I don't have any concrete evidence but they seem to help.

Love the ball idea. Will do! Thanks.
  • E_Brault
    Options
    I haven't personally cleaned my car in a long time. It is popular here in California to sign up for a monthly fixed cost for a drive through car wash. It costs about $20, but I really don't want another subscription to anything.

This morning I cleaned the interior. The car is a
    V W Beatle, so I really had some pretty odd stretching angles. I'm so proud of myself - the interior looks so good. Tonight, when it cools down, I will do the exterior.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    Today was my 1,000th day of logging!
    Congratulations!!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    yes, that is super!