Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »
    BethAnnieT wrote: »
    I'll be doing W4D1 today at lunch. It's supposed to be 99 degrees at lunch today, but I fear if I don't go then, I won't go after I get home from work (too tired, laundry, garden, things to tend to, you know how it goes). SO I'm going to go for it. I'm actually looking forward to it. :)

Stay hydrated! Try to drink as much water as you can beforehand and have some water waiting for you when you get finished!

Thanks! I did it! I'm downing water right now. Next time I might take a bottle with me. It was HOT and dry out there. But... W4D1 in the books, yay!
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Did wk8d1this morning. I never run in the morning, but I had to today in order to get my run in. It's totally different than an afternoon and nighttime run. It felt harder at first because I felt stiff and tired, but by the halfway mark I felt great and felt like I hardly noticed the extra three minutes this week from last.
  • rnurse82
    rnurse82 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Moving on to w7d1. Week 6 done! Woohooooo!

I too, find it hard to get going in the morning, but once I get into it, I'm good. I do find running early evening my best though.
  • sweets1973
    sweets1973 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Did week5 day 3 today only made it to 14 minutes but doesn't matter going to carry on to week 6
  • angie55575
    angie55575 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Finished W8D1 last night :) My running schedule got all goofy from the days off Memorial Day Weekend. I'm going to try to do W8D2 tonight, only because Saturday it's suppose to be in the 90's. Haven't yet tried running 2 days in a row, we'll see how this goes!
  • ljmus1
    ljmus1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hello. I finished week 1 today! So I'm new. I've started this program a few times over the years but I've never finished it. This time I've already signed up for a 5k in August and a 10k in November, so I'll have to keep going! Enjoying it so far this time :)
  • sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm on W8D3. Once you've "graduated", is it better to do a bridge to 10k program with intervals (similar to rundouble), or just increase mileage 1/2 mile each week? It'll take the same 6 weeks...is it just a personal preference?
  • rnurse82
    Options
    So disappointed in myself. W7D1 I made it 22 mins and gave up!!!! As I walked back up the driveway to the house I knew I could have made it 3 more minutes. Was actually making my best time yet. Avg pace was 15 mins/mile! I know that's not fast to a lot of you, but for me it was. When I looked down right before stopping I was running a pace of 11 min/ mike at that time. Oh well. I will retry tmrw.
    ljmus1 wrote: »
    Hello. I finished week 1 today! So I'm new. I've started this program a few times over the years but I've never finished it. This time I've already signed up for a 5k in August and a 10k in November, so I'll have to keep going! Enjoying it so far this time :)

Excellent job! Keep it up! If I can do it, anyone can!
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Finished W7D2 this morning and it was rough. No problems at all with the breathing, but my legs were so dead from the past couple of days that it was a real struggle and I felt I was running at a snail pace. But, I did complete and will just move on to the next run and hopefully will have recovered by Monday.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    sbl1881 wrote: »
    I'm on W8D3. Once you've "graduated", is it better to do a bridge to 10k program with intervals (similar to rundouble), or just increase mileage 1/2 mile each week? It'll take the same 6 weeks...is it just a personal preference?

I did the bridge to 10k from rundouble. I found the structure of that program easier to stick with. There is also a bridge to 10k forum on mfp that is helpful once you graduate. Lots of great folks on there when I was active on it. I'm sure it's still the same and also has a daily check in thread.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    I did w1d2 of the zombies run 5k training Friday night. Hoping to get day 3 done tomorrow.
  • rnurse82
    Options
    Second try and got through W7D1!! I knew i could do it!!

At what point can you run consecutive days in a row? My legs never feel like they need to recover the day after a run, but I guess you can't go by "feeling"? I know lots of people who run daily and have for years. A couple of times I have ran in the morning then the next evening did a run and no issues. Just curious.
    upsaluki wrote: »
    I did w1d2 of the zombies run 5k training Friday night. Hoping to get day 3 done tomorrow.
    Awesome job!!
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Finished week 1 of zombies 5k today.
  • RoteBook
    RoteBook Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Ugh I've been slacking. I think I was sick with a bit of what my kid had. I was exhausted for the last week-seriously ready to fall asleep at the drop of a hat. My kid and I are both feeling better now, so I'll be able to run tomorrow morning before my husband goes to work and my older kid goes to camp. I'm thinking that I should probably re-do week 3 instead of doing week 4 day 2, though.
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    rnurse82 wrote: »

At what point can you run consecutive days in a row? My legs never feel like they need to recover the day after a run, but I guess you can't go by "feeling"? I know lots of people who run daily and have for years. A couple of times I have ran in the morning then the next evening did a run and no issues. Just curious.

Great job! For me (I just finished W7D3), I still feel like I need that rest/recovery day, but I'm sure it is different for everyone. I usually do weights on non-running days and I get at least 10k steps/day with usually a 3-5 mile walk, but maybe at some point I can get to where I am running daily. I did find this info from a MFP Beginner Run blog...
    blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-beginners-guide-to-running/
    "Whether your goal is to lose weight, improve your health or participate in races, you will get the best results from your running program if you exercise more or less daily. But this doesn’t mean you have to run every day. In fact, in the early stages, you should run only every other day. This level of frequency will give your muscles, bones and joints time to recover fully and adapt between runs. On nonrunning days, do some other form of aerobic exercise, such as using an elliptical trainer, or work on strength and mobility through an activity like yoga or weight lifting.

Once you’re comfortable running every other day, you may choose to increase your running frequency by replacing nonrunning workouts with runs or gradually work toward running every day. Neither option is inherently better than the other. If you enjoy running a lot more than other forms of exercise, work toward daily running. If you enjoy variety in your exercise program or wish to minimize wear and tear on your legs, continue to run every other day and do nonimpact exercise on alternate days."
  • rnurse82
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »
    rnurse82 wrote: »

Great job! For me (I just finished W7D3), I still feel like I need that rest/recovery day, but I'm sure it is different for everyone. I usually do weights on non-running days and I get at least 10k steps/day with usually a 3-5 mile walk, but maybe at some point I can get to where I am running daily. I did find this info from a MFP Beginner Run blog...
    blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-beginners-guide-to-running/
    "Whether your goal is to lose weight, improve your health or participate in races, you will get the best results from your running program if you exercise more or less daily. But this doesn’t mean you have to run every day. In fact, in the early stages, you should run only every other day. This level of frequency will give your muscles, bones and joints time to recover fully and adapt between runs. On nonrunning days, do some other form of aerobic exercise, such as using an elliptical trainer, or work on strength and mobility through an activity like yoga or weight lifting.

Once you’re comfortable running every other day, you may choose to increase your running frequency by replacing nonrunning workouts with runs or gradually work toward running every day. Neither option is inherently better than the other. If you enjoy running a lot more than other forms of exercise, work toward daily running. If you enjoy variety in your exercise program or wish to minimize wear and tear on your legs, continue to run every other day and do nonimpact exercise on alternate days."

Thank you so much for this! We have an eliptical type machine (Bowflex M5 Trainer). I will plan on doing that and some weights on my off days. I keep saying I am going to start a weight routine and just keep putting it off b/c I love being outside so much! But, starting tomorrow, I will make this my new routine. I am supposed to do W7D2 tonight. Again, thanks for taking the time to respond!
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Did another morning run, 5 am! wk8d2. Just did my first 5k over the weekend, so I jumped a little bit ahead, but I am definitely doing to keep running according to schedule to keep on track.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I had a bit of a setback. I was, as my sister put it, in "dental hell". I got a vertical crack in a tooth and was in too much pain to do much of anything. I tried running once after it started, but didn't have much success. Since I have pretty bad PTSD associated with dentists, this was not a fun time. But, I was able to have it pulled under sedation and am feeling much better. Eventually, I'll get an implant (necessitating more sedation, I'm sure) but for now I just have to live with the gap in my mouth (they did a bone graft in preparation for the implant, but that has to heal for a few months).

So, today it was fairly cool out (the heat has also been an obstacle to running) and my mouth is only a little sore, so I decided to give it a try. I didn't think I should attempt a full 5K distance (where I was at before my setback), so I just did a 30 minute run. My GPS flaked out completely, so I didn't get good pace data, but I was able to run the whole time without requiring too much willpower. It ended up at about 2.24 miles, so I'll have to work back up to the 5K distance again.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    I had a bit of a setback. I was, as my sister put it, in "dental hell". I got a vertical crack in a tooth and was in too much pain to do much of anything. I tried running once after it started, but didn't have much success. Since I have pretty bad PTSD associated with dentists, this was not a fun time. But, I was able to have it pulled under sedation and am feeling much better. Eventually, I'll get an implant (necessitating more sedation, I'm sure) but for now I just have to live with the gap in my mouth (they did a bone graft in preparation for the implant, but that has to heal for a few months).

So, today it was fairly cool out (the heat has also been an obstacle to running) and my mouth is only a little sore, so I decided to give it a try. I didn't think I should attempt a full 5K distance (where I was at before my setback), so I just did a 30 minute run. My GPS flaked out completely, so I didn't get good pace data, but I was able to run the whole time without requiring too much willpower. It ended up at about 2.24 miles, so I'll have to work back up to the 5K distance again.

Wow. Not fun. Hang in there and keep going.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Finished w2d1 of zombies run 5k this morning.