NSV's = Non-scale Victories

Options

Replies

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,056 Member
    Options
    I had an appointment with the sports med doctor this morning. She did a quick assessment and was happy with the progress. My shoulder continues to strengthen slowly. Flexibility and mobility in my neck is improving. She hadn't received the report from the neurosurgeon as yet. She said if there was a remarkable issue in the report, she would let me know. Otherwise, no news is good news and continue the rehab...

So it sounds like I've successfully dodged surgery on my shoulder.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    I had an appointment with the sports med doctor this morning. She did a quick assessment and was happy with the progress. My shoulder continues to strengthen slowly. Flexibility and mobility in my neck is improving. She hadn't received the report from the neurosurgeon as yet. She said if there was a remarkable issue in the report, she would let me know. Otherwise, no news is good news and continue the rehab...

Very good news!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    UncleMac wrote: »

Very good news!

Indeed. I've had a couple of friends (and an ex-wife) who had shoulder surgery. The results were mixed. The rehab was painful and lengthy. As frustrating as it is to be doing non-surgical rehab for months on end, it is the better option in my opinion.
  • luluinca
    Options
    When I hurt my shoulder in December I couldn't find a single person who recommended surgery including my orthopedic surgeon. Everyone said to avoid it at all costs.

I'm so glad I went the Physical Therapy route. It's still not 100% and there may always be a few lifts I can't do that I'd like to but the improvement is beyond what I expected.

I'm swimming again and that was really important to me. Happy Camper here too!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    Everyone said to avoid it at all costs.
    I get the same story here. The orthopedic surgeon, after assessing my range of motion etc said he didn't feel it would be beneficial. That's as close to an endorsement as I heard. Everyone else said "Don't do it!!"
  • Fugley01
    Fugley01 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I recently went from a 34" waiste jeans to a 32". My weight hasn't changed much in the last few months but now I may need a belt :)
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    @Fugley01 Belts are good. Avoids any indecent exposure. Hahaha.
  • chamblisk
    Options
    Took my dogs on a "run" tonight. A beautiful evening. The local farm we normally go by had moved some steers into a fresh pasture, so we walked slowly passed them. If you know anything about bovines, they are very curious; and true to form, this herd walked down to the fence to see who we were. My young dog was unsure but we got by and picked up the pace again. We hadn't gone a lot further, when both dogs looked anxiously behind us. I thought a car might be going to pass. Imagine my surprise when I turned around and found a black Angus trotting beside me! Followed by 30 of his closest friends!!! Before we knew it we were in the middle of the herd trotting down the middle of the road! I made a quick detour up toward the farmhouse as 3 of the sons exploded out of the church building we had just passed. The herd started milling around near their old pasture and the boys were able to get a gate open and turn them back toward the barn while the dogs and I sat and watched. It was quite a show! The oldest son (20 something) said they just happened to look out and saw me and the dogs running down the road with the herd stretched out behind me. Hysterical! No harm (except for the fence!) and everyone has a good story. My NSV? I enjoyed my running companions...this from an old woman who has NEVER enjoyed running. Hahaha. However, guess I wouldn't recommend it....those Angus were rather large; just ask my dogs!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    That is hysterical! Doesn't that make you a cow whisperer?
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Back when she was a pup, I remember walking my husky past a pasture with a couple horses. She was quite curious... as was the mare... but when the horse got closer, my normally brave & bold husky decided she wanted to be behind me. I started walk parallel to the fence with a horse on one side and a husky on the other.
  • luluinca
    Options
    @chamblisk, wow that's quite an adventure. I'm not sure I would have kept my cool as well as you did. We used to have a boy down the street who was raising a calf for 4H (I think) and he used to walk him in front of our house in the evening. That's about as close I want to be to a cow I think.

Funny though I've never enjoyed running until now either.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,120 Member
    Options
    @chamblisk - wow, you didn't even need to go to Spain to have your own running with the bulls moment. I think I would have completely freaked out, but glad you maintained your cool and got them back to their pasture. Wow!
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    So a few months ago I started swimming after a very long hiatus that could measured in decades. So one thing about being in the water is fat will float. Today, after about 3 months of swimming fairly consistently, I noticed that when I exhaled and pushed down to do some stretches underwater that I did not bob up to the surface nearly as quickly as I used to. More muscle, less fat. *happy dance*
  • chamblisk
    Options
    Hahaha....I know the feeling! I was nicely told I was very "buoyant" when I couldn't go under water very far when I started back swimming several years ago. I sink quite well now! Cogratulations!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    oh myyyyyyy
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,120 Member
    Options
    I have had a pair of pants that I bought last year hanging on my closet door. I purposefully bought them a size too small as motivation to lose some more weight to get into them. Instead I gained weight over the winter and thought it was going to be a long shot to ever be able to get into them.

I noticed yesterday that a pair of my usually snug stretchy shorts were really really loose, and when I threw them in the wash this morning I noted they were a size bigger than the pair of pants on my closet door. So, I had to try the pants on to see if I could fit into them. I was so happy to see they slid on, and I could even button them and zip them up even though they are still a smidge too tight to wear regularly (still a bit of muffin top). But I give it another week or two and they will likely be put into my wardrobe for regular wear. Yippie skippy!!

Only bad thing is they are going to be way too big when I get to my ultimate goal in a few months...should have bought a pair at least two sizes too small (which I almost did), but I wasn't really convinced when I bought them that I'd even get into one size smaller because I was having so much of a challenge losing weight last year.

So glad I found this app/site a couple months ago since it has been the only way I've been able to consistently lose weight without depriving myself of the foods I love.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    b3achy wrote: »
    I have had a pair of pants that I bought last year hanging on my closet door. I purposefully bought them a size too small as motivation to lose some more weight to get into them. Instead I gained weight over the winter and thought it was going to be a long shot to ever be able to get into them.

I noticed yesterday that a pair of my usually snug stretchy shorts were really really loose, and when I threw them in the wash this morning I noted they were a size bigger than the pair of pants on my closet door. So, I had to try the pants on to see if I could fit into them. I was so happy to see they slid on, and I could even button them and zip them up even though they are still a smidge too tight to wear regularly (still a bit of muffin top). But I give it another week or two and they will likely be put into my wardrobe for regular wear. Yippie skippy!!

Only bad thing is they are going to be way too big when I get to my ultimate goal in a few months...should have bought a pair at least two sizes too small (which I almost did), but I wasn't really convinced when I bought them that I'd even get into one size smaller because I was having so much of a challenge losing weight last year.

So glad I found this app/site a couple months ago since it has been the only way I've been able to consistently lose weight without depriving myself of the foods I love.

yay !!!
  • chamblisk
    Options
    @b3achy, Congratulations! It is amazing what we can accomplish with the right support and motivation. I lost enough weight that I had to purchase an entire new wardrobe to start back to school last fall. Unfortunately (fortunately?) I never suspected I would have to repeat the New clothes shopping after Christmas, and for the 3rd time this summer. I HATE shopping!!! But I must admit it , it is easier to find stylish "normal" sizes.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    That is one of the best nsvs. I used to hate shopping because I didn't want to see myself in that dressing room mirror. Don't mind it so much now. Congratulations on great progress.