Replies

• SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    That's awesome inspiration @Karlottap
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Are there people on this planet that don't struggle with long term motivation??? I can't sustain it myself, it's just impossible. I skip from one short-term goal to the next short term goal because I can promise you if it's going to take more than a few months I'm going to lose interest.

For example, Halloween has been a huge motivator for me for the last 6 months - that's twice as long as I have ever had a single motivator in the past and it was a huge challenge for me to stay interested for 6 whole months...especially after half the girls in the universe decided to do the SAME COSTUME as me...<sigh>

I have enlisted my husbands help for the next motivator - I asked him to pick out an outfit he would like to see me in, something sexy and christmas themed...so for November and December I will be using that for my motivation and then at the end of that I can maybe get him to take pictures of me in my sexy new outfit...or just take me to bed in it, whatever he's in the mood for.

After that, I don't know, I'll have to come up with something new, because I will NEED something NEW for motivation or there's no way in hades I'll stay on target without some new kind of goal.

You aren't a failure for slipping off the rails, I think it happens to everyone. But if you want to stay on the rails you have to find a system that works for you, and what you are doing, it's not working, so it's time to change it up. Find a shorter term goal and some kind of reward at the end of the goal. Maybe shopping for a new top after 5 more lbs, or going on a special trip for staying on target 3 months, or doing some fun activity for getting A1C levels in line...whatever you will find motivating, whatever gives you that little edge to WANT it, you have to find something you WANT enough to put in the work, because it's a lot of work...for me, it's always vanity because I'm at the point my weight is not a health issue, I just want to look a little better, a little less jiggly, a little more badass...

Find something that works for you...I like to read the success stories for ideas about what will be motivating, a lot of times people include their own motivations in there...
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    BaconSan2 wrote: »
    This isn't really sage advice & I haven't been losing long enough to give it anyway but here it goes...maybe you are just bored with it all? Even though it is all good maybe it has gotten boring. Is there anything you can do make some kind of new thing that can come into your life? Even as simple as cooking a new food? You know you have always wanted to try crock pot frog legs? :wink: Is there something you want to buy for just yourself (to kitten with the budget) How about a new activity? I only say this because I know being bored is the sure path to disaster for myself. Even the busiest ppl can be bored. We have to be like sharks alway moving ... that is my theory anyway.
    Big hug to an amazing women! YOU!

Crock pot frog legs!!! mwhahahaha!

I am one of those people who watch tv while I browse the internet while I help with homework kinda people. I am always doing something and Rowdy will tell you I think way too much. I have felt like I can't seem to cook anything new and that he, not me, may be getting sick to death of the foods. Yet, he's a simple guy who doesn't want anything too new. For example he's a salt guy - everything gets salted before it is tasted...The first time he tried Soy Sauce on his Asian was when we met and I had to force him to try it and had to explain it was "liquid salt". Now he loves it. But it was a struggle, boy howdy it was a struggle. So I know it's not really him I'm worried about.

I still make all the things I ever did but maybe I'm bored with that. Totally possible.

I had planned to start square dancing again a few months back but come to find out the group had stopped dancing for a few months. I need to call again. That would be really good for me. I also think I need friends to do something with. I made friends in Dallas when I first moved to Texas but I live so far away I rarely see them and I don't really have any easy way to make friends here in Canton since I work locked away in my house all the time. I've been trying with some of the band moms since it's marching season...we'll see.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    Ok, my typo in the word sabotage in my title is driving me crazy. I do know how to spell most of the time...sigh.

I fixeded it. :wink:
  • kennygang
    kennygang Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I too find myself sabotaging myself quite a lot. I have good attentions when I wake up in the morning and then something will happen to throw me off and it's down hill from there.... It is easier to give in than stay on track sometimes. This past weekend I went away with some friends, no kids and no husband and I drank and ate way too much and did not even care about low carb. But boy did I feel it. It hit me like a ton of bricks. I was so bloated and my feet and legs swelled up like sausages!!!! My breathing was affected from all the bloat and I just felt horrible and tired. I am back at work today. I had my BPC this am and now drinking water. I am going to try and get through this day on track and then will take one day at a time. Self sabotage is a horrible thing
  • RowdysLady
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @Karlottap thanks for sharing and you can do this!
    @SuperCarLori you didn't hijack. Not one bit. Your smoking or not is as relevant as everything else. It's just different. You will quit again and one day you will quit for the last time. You can do it!!
    @MimiOfTheLusciousLawn I used to journal; I should start again. Thank you and great pic!!

@tcunbeliever good point. We do all struggle and fall off the wagon. Part of this for me is that Rowdy doesn't care one bit what I look like. He's not that kinda person. When we met I was about 240 or so pounds. I ballooned up to 260 and now I'm down to 213. He's never once complimented, complained, or looked at me any differently. He's not treated me differently either. Which is all a really GOOD thing except I think I want someone that I love to tell me it's working and I am looking good. Ya know? Damn chick in me.... I don't go out and I don't really know a lot of people to say "wow, you've lost weight" or "you look great" and as shallow as that is I want that on some level.

He and I talked a long time last night and he recognizes what I am dealing with but he can only help so much. He's never going to be the guy that opens his mouth and compliments me unless I specifically ask and then it is hard for him to say something. But I know part of me is defeated because I silently think that my loss doesn't make a difference to him so "why bother?"

I know "why bother" - because I'm healthier, I feel better, Anna is on board with me and she's feeling better...I know all the real reasons but I want a vanity reason I guess. How sad is that?
  • GlitterRayne
    GlitterRayne Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if I'm going through the self sabotage myself. I'm not eating "cheats" or anything. But I am over eating nuts and keto treats. I am also not being careful when I eat out. Last night I had beef brisket which was fine but I had some braised greens with bacon in it. I wonder if those greens had sugar in them. *sigh*
    I've been where you are though and you can bust out of it. Let's do this! I can honestly say making friends here on MFP has helped me SO much!!!
  • Cyndi146
    Cyndi146 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I read an article yesterday that said "it's not about reaching a number, it's about living in the momentum". Reaching a certain number is sometimes too lofty a goal and we lose the motivation. Small goals do help at times but even then sometimes it's just not enough.

I don't know about you but as soon as I start doing everything "right" and on plan, I feel fabulous. Am I at goal weight? No. But I feel strong, I feel sexy, I feel motivated. If I focus on living in and gaining that momentum, I start to see results again. I know you said you are seeing some loss but it doesn't sound like you're feeling all that great in the meantime.

I've only been doing this since June, but this is a bit of practical advice. If I've gone off the rails or feel like I've let too many carbs slip back in or am losing control, I'll just eat meat for at least three days. I feel like it gets every little bit of carbage out of my system and even my thinking becomes clearer. I trust myself to make wise choices at that point. When the carbs are in there, it's too easy to way "whatever" and let more in. I may have to do this every couple weeks but it gets me back on track quickly. I'm on day 3 right now :)

You've come a long long way and are such an encouragement to others in this forum (and I suspect in life as well). You'll get it!!
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    @RowdysLady Having your partner actually understand what you needed from him (eliminate the triggers) really shows his commitment to helping you reach your goals, whatever they are... just accepting that you are an equal and deserving of the same respect he wishes for himself. PRICELESS!

• supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    @RowdysLady " I am always doing something and Rowdy will tell you I think way too much." Exactly what my hubs says about me!!

I think your mention of reconnecting with old friends or finding new ones is spot on. It keeps us interested in others and out of our own heads.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    You have a wonderful husband! What a great support :)
  • sherryrichie
    sherryrichie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Cyndi146 wrote: »
    I've only been doing this since June, but this is a bit of practical advice. If I've gone off the rails or feel like I've let too many carbs slip back in or am losing control, I'll just eat meat for at least three days. I feel like it gets every little bit of carbage out of my system and even my thinking becomes clearer. I trust myself to make wise choices at that point. When the carbs are in there, it's too easy to way "whatever" and let more in. I may have to do this every couple weeks but it gets me back on track quickly. I'm on day 3 right now

This sounds like great advice. Try to get back into that tight control. You will feel so much better. This always works for me. HUGS!!!!
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Your husband sounds like such a great supportive partner. You're a lucky lady. I'm sorry if someone else already mentioned this but I know for myself when I want to have things that aren't keto friendly I have a few things I do. 1. I'll allow myself something awesome and keto friendly (i.e. today I'm having a big prime rib steak!) 2. I think about all of the positives that I get from keto that aren't weight loss. My energy levels and how much better I feel are the things that usually come to my mind. Sometimes changing the focus is extremely helpful in adherence for me.

Good luck lady! You've got this!
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    He is wonderful and supportive. I'm most fortunate (as is he, he'll tell you) that we found each other. Thank you all
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I am about to committe carbacide...I ate Chinese rice, some chocolate and probAbly a banana split soon
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    @KetoLady86 I'd tell you not to do it, but well....sounds like I missed that boat. I will think of you and hope you a speedy recovery in the morning when you aren't feeling so good.
  • moonlights
    moonlights Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    From your most recent post it sounds to me like you're already set on doing exactly what I was about to suggest, which was essentially - get back on track already!

I've been low carb on and off for years now and I'm very familiar with the slippery slope you describe - you just have one cookie because your daughter made them and it doesn't do much harm and before you know it you're sneaking bites and tastes and snacks until you're essentially off plan but still eating like you're not.

Incidentally the time this diet gets dangerous is when we're struggling and our high fat lowcarb diet becomes high fat and high carb...

Anyways for me this usually happened at emotionally rough times. I fell off the wagon after death in the family and then had a rough two years with other family deaths/illnesses and could not get back on properly that whole time. I would start over, lose 5lbs, fall off and gain 8lbs etc etc until I gained a lot of weight back.

I tried telling myself I would go to 50g carbs a day and ease myself in - no good because I used the lax carb limit to allow myself treats and started the whole cycle off again.

Honestly I think the best way to get on plan is to be extra strict for a couple of weeks, eg:
    Under 20g net
    No wheat products
    No sweets (even low carb ones as they can set off cravings)

BUT don't calorie count for those two weeks and don't push yourself too hard or do extreme fasts etc. What works for me when I'm getting on track after a cheat is to start my day with a big meal - steak and eggs maybe or bacon and cheese omelette - something REALLY filling, more food than you think you want. Hopefully you'll be stuffed enough not to habit eat or give in to cravings.

You had weight loss surgery, I think? That means you were willing to risk death to lose this weight once and for all. Surgery is not an easy option and you have to be a tough determined person to go through that. That just shows me you know what you want to do and where you want to be. There will be detours on the way sometimes, we all wander off occasionally, but you will get there for sure.
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    @KetoLady86 I'd tell you not to do it, but well....sounds like I missed that boat. I will think of you and hope you a speedy recovery in the morning when you aren't feeling so good.

Thanks babe!! I know it'll be a long day..but I am ready to get the mindset I had a few mos ago...