LCD Chat...

Options

Replies

• bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hi all! I am so glad I found this thread! I have been mostly lurking on this board since June but never saw til now. I feel like I've just landed in the middle of a college course and everyone's on page 999 of the 1,000-page textbook (I'm still reading page 9-ish) but wanted to hop in and do the questions :)

Minnesota native (St. Paul), love love love life. Want to live more! I'm 43 and yes, that's a pic from this year (April), fat cheeks and good genes LOL, thanks, Grandma and Mom! I'm happily single and no children, married to my job (online business manager/virtual consultant with a focus on online marketing/tech support). Love love love to cook healthy foods and take care of the people in my life, love all kinds of music, dancing, reading.

Most of my family history includes obesity and metabolic-related health problems (heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, dementia, various cancers). Fun stuff. I hope I'm not too late in trying to avoid some of those (already type 2 diabetic). I also vape after having been a smoker for 20+ years.

About me/why I'm here: Let's see. I have never been a "thin" or "normal weight" adult, started being chubby around junior high, got up to about 190s after high school and pretty much maintained that until about age 28, when I started packing on way more weight than ever before (just being careless and "invincable" living w/my fiance at the time, we indulged quite a bit on all kinds of food constantly) before it even started to affect my health. My one wish for every human would be that they'd be able to take the best care of him/herself before health problems even start. My starting weight the day I decided to check into MFP trying out ket was 248, and I'm 5'5". I'm currently 215 lbs. I weigh only weekly and put it out of my mind until my phone alarm says it's time. Like some others here, I identify with body image issues where I don't think of myself as "that fat", even though I am - I've had a BMI of about 38-41 for almost 20 years. So I'm recognizing it and working on paying attention to my body more, that includes looking at myself in the mirror instead of blanking it out or walking past to avoid it, and getting on the scale regularly, but not obessively.

What is your go-to exercise when you are lacking motivation? I so far only do walking and stretches at home, walk around my neighborhood. I'm still in a bit too much pain from various things (frozen shoulder, namely) to do too much strength training. I do a lot of housework and stuff still, though.

What is your go-to exercise? Walking.

How do you decide who to friend here and what would make you unfriend someone? I have only really put out requests to people I actually know, but am happy to accept requests from anyone looking for more support. I'm basically here to account for myself and keep track of my goals, so being social is secondary...but my job involves me being almost 100% online, so there's also that. I haven't had a reason to "un-friend" anyone, and probably won't, unless they do some fvcked-up repugnamt shlt (thanks, Samuel L. Jackson).

If you could choose any animal to represent you, which one would you choose? The stars already chose for me. I'm a ram (Aries). We are the fiery end-bosses of the universe. I run hot and cold, have been told I'm charismatic and charming, capable, persuasive/influential, determined (to the point of stubbornness), nuttin' to fvck with. Inside though, I'm still immature and foolish. AND I sometimes naively and quickly make decisions based on spontaneous feelings and worry about consequences later.

What is your stretch goal for 2016? WTH is a stretch goal? I am way behind on corporate speak. Assuming it means long-term goal, I'd say: To live through it positively, eating VERY well the whole time.

What is your favourite low carb recipe? Pretty much anydamnthing with cheese in it. Cheese is bae.

What is the first thing that pops into your head when you're trying to stay focused and motivated to do this? I'm doing this for me. Not for anyone else, and for my health. Almost everyone I love is dead (family). I want to live longer, and more fully.

City or country life? As a total urban chick, I prefer the city, but could survive the country like a real pioneer lady. No, seriously, take away my WiFi and hand me that butter churn!

If you could go back and give yourself 1 piece of advice, what age would you be and what would you say? I wish I'd stayed on Atkins (I was about 29) or at least moved toward a similar pattern/direction before it was too late (diagnosed w/type 2 diabetes in 2007, and by then, I already had irreversible associated problems). I don't like to live with regrets, so I'm trying hard to move forward.

What is your favorite LCHF vegetable? Silly question! I love aaaallllll the veggies. Makes it hard to stay ~20 g/day. If I had to pick...gosh, broccoli sounds so pedestrian, but I really do love it. Is that a real low carb one? I always think spinach, since it's like almost like, 50/50 carbs/fiber.

Camel/Straw moment and motivation? This past year, I got tired of still having high blood glucose all the time even on 1000 mg Metformin/day and over 100 units/day of insulin (two kinds!) and eating "clean" whole foods and exercising regularly, yet still crashing out before the work day was over and still gaining weight. Between 2009 and early 2015, I began "disowning" certain foods and habits - I had switched to stevia for my coffee and oatmeal/dessert sweetener, I stopped buying flour of all kinds, white rice (opting for brown/wild/red only), and started eating what I thought was more "healthful" foods such as Ezekiel bread, steel-cut oats instead of chips/crackers/cereals, and tons of fruit instead of cake, cookies, etc. I was so wrong! But I was also blessed, in that I already made the moves toward whole/less packaged foods (I was still buying tomatoes, tuna, beans, etc. in cans), keto seemed to be the right transition to make, seeing how Atkins was something I tried ten years ago and worked a bit...just needed to stop all the complex carbs, figure out my calorie deficit and start a higher fat intake, really.

Response I get from others who hear of my diet? Mostly positive, still get the occasional GP doc friend wanting to argue a bit about how humans "require" carbohydrate. It's respectful banter, but I have to keep citing science to prove what I'm doing works.

Favorite month/season Fall, hands-down. I also love spring. Here in Minnesota, if we're lucky, we get a couple weeks of each, but it's mostly it's either hot or cold and we half about a half year of winter and half year of summer (not kidding, it can get as HOT as August in May, and stay that way til September, sometimes, and winter can last until April). Don't get me wrong! I love winter. I hate being hot...however, I've noticed that this past summer has been quite pleasant to my body. I've been able to handle it much more easily, 20+ lbs lighter. Less quick to get out of breath, sweaty/irritable/red-faced. Pretty sure m blood pressure returned to normal not long after I was keto. Had to be a sign of fat-adaption

Favorite holiday/vacation destination? Lol, WAT is a "vacation"? I haven't had a true vacation in 30 years, almost. I'm self-employed. Yes, I've traveled, but it's usually a work/networking thing, or just a weekend trip to visit friends and comes with an itinerary. I am a workaholic and love it, but would love to go back to visit NYC, DC, VA, Colorado, in that order, with a more relaxed and extended time frame.

Is your family supportive of your LCHF lifestyle? Yes! They know that HF LC works for me and are very helpful and positive.

Of all the changes you've seen in yourself since starting this WOE or your weight loss journey, what has been your favorite? My mood, overall. Even through hard days, I'm much more happy-go-lucky than in past years. Sort of like my old self again (teens, young adulthood). Oh, and TMI, my period...seriously, it's like, just another week, mostly. Used to be lucky before anyway, with a pretty mild-to-slightly annoying time, in terms of pain/bloating/PMS, but now it's like I'm 16 again. PMS was the WORST. I was a vile bltch, ate allll the things, and was tired and horribly brain-addled for several days leading up to and through my period starting.

Had do you handle social situations? I live and work alone, so I'm blessed to have no real outside influences and no temptations in the household, but the few occasions I have been out with family or friends have not been difficult to bear at all. Restaurants have also been pretty easy to do.

Favorite drinks? Coffee and water are all I really drink daily. I love a good red wine, on rare occasions.

Goals for the weekend? WAT is a weekend? LOL you forget I am a self-employed workaholic with no social life? IDK. Probably batch-cook, catch up on Hulu, try to put some furniture together.

Sorry for the long-winded post.

Nice to "meet" you all! Back to catching up on the "book"!
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Wednesday!
    What a busy board last night!!

@Bonny132 not sure about your how's and whys for giving up your meds but I wish you well! When I went off my meds I was fighting some wacky physical and mental symptoms. I just finished a back and forth with my doctor and we decided I need to go back on one but the others are fine to say so long to!

@bowlerae Seriously? I never thought that sf gum was that full of carbs!?! I have a pack that I chomp on once in a while. I've been trying to stay away from it but if that's the case I'd likely throw mine away too. Now I want to look up my gum of choice Orbit.

@bjwoodzy Hello there! This thread and everyone posting here are like my anchor! I don't think I'd have lasted all this time here without it. After starting this thread I've felt an odd commitment to it to make sure it stays alive. It's the first thing I check now when logging into MFP. Glad you joined us!

If you haven't friended me here feel free to!

Anywho...
    I finished my second day of exercises and even had my daily walk included! More sore today than I was yesterday and my daily meeting with me scale said whoa! Up you go! I don't think I drank enough water yesterday and I pulled out my "naughty" snack which I said I wasn't going to eat anymore. Really I should just toss it but it's so damn good! Lol. Plus I've been exercising at night after dinner and I think it's been triggering my to want some extra food. I'm thinking I need to pick up some pepperoni and cheese and only let myself snack on that for a week and see how that effects me.

On another note, I spent the day having a back and forth with my Dr. I've been off my Metformin completely for a month now. I had made the decision that since my A1c had dropped back down and I was doing so well and not to mention that For some reason my body had started to pass my medications undigested it was the best thing to do.
    We agreed that I was sadly mistaken. My fasting numbers have been climbing up. I've seen one low number during a fast of 96! All the others have been between 109 to 120! No good.
    I talked to her about the Ketogenic diet, what I've been doing what my reasons were for following it and she is supporting me 100%

Enough for this morning. I've got to bet my butt ready for work.
  • bjwoodzy
    Options
    Thanks so much for the welcome, @ProCoffeenator :)

Oh my gosh, those numbers are still not bad, though! This is coming from someone who's fasting BG was over 200 and slightly under that, even on every drug under the sun (OK, I exaggerate a little on that last part). My first reading with the diabetic nurse was over 400. A "spike" for me say, after a meal or something was 180s-200s, but now, after almost 5 months of keto, more like 150-170, and I am off everything, medication-wise.

I was reading recently about how Dawn Phenomenon/high a.m. fasting BG may not be that big of a worry as long as it goes down after rising and if we're doing keto long term and following it pretty strictly. I can't remember where that was but now I want to find it.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Welcome @bjwoodzy ! I'm part of a few LCHF/Keto groups and this one is the best, hands down. :)
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I loved your post @bjwoodzy. You are exactly who you say you are "WTH is a stretch goal..." loved it.

Work for yourself, in school and have doctor buddies...dying to know what you do. I'm an RN with an MHA and I do CDI consulting for myself as well as contract jobs in healthcare to pay the bills.

And crimeny you do have good genes! Wow...
  • ProCoffeenator
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the welcome, @ProCoffeenator :)

Oh my gosh, those numbers are still not bad, though! This is coming from someone who's fasting BG was over 200 and slightly under that, even on every drug under the sun (OK, I exaggerate a little on that last part). My first reading with the diabetic nurse was over 400. A "spike" for me say, after a meal or something was 180s-200s, but now, after almost 5 months of keto, more like 150-170, and I am off everything, medication-wise.

I was reading recently about how Dawn Phenomenon/high a.m. fasting BG may not be that big of a worry as long as it goes down after rising and if we're doing keto long term and following it pretty strictly. I can't remember where that was but now I want to find it.

I've been pretty strict Keto for four months! Can only recall two times I went off track once in the first month for a weekend and again in the second month for one meal. My insurance only covers for one test strip a day for me because I'm not insulin dependent.
    Today's fasting was 113 @ 4am
    Had a coffee at home then a BPC with added protein powder @7 am finished drinking that at 850am
    Retested at 10 am with a result of 117. I'm thinking I will test one more time today. I ate two turkey slices and cheese and a squirt of mustard at 1130. So I'm thinking check again around 130?
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    @ProCoffeenator I stopped my meds because I am convinced they are wrong for me and horrible side effects. Off to my new doctor next week for a second opinion. I did do a lot of reading, soul searching and discussed it with my SO before taking that step though.

So soon I should be back to only battling to sleep again. Physically I am already feeling a lot better already.
  • bjwoodzy
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    I loved your post @bjwoodzy. You are exactly who you say you are "WTH is a stretch goal..." loved it.

Work for yourself, in school and have doctor buddies...dying to know what you do. I'm an RN with an MHA and I do CDI consulting for myself as well as contract jobs in healthcare to pay the bills.

And crimeny you do have good genes! Wow...

The doc buddies I have now, I found through G+, I've met quite a few folks that way and have met/become friends in person as well with many of them (over a hundred, actually) through that network, and it's been a real blessing, truly :) One of my fave docs I met is more of a patient advocate and research scientist and she's been super-supportive of my transition to keto, she's totally understanding about how it works and everything. I no longer trust any GP with advice when it comes to diet and nutrition, most of the ones I've ever had in my life are more concerned with applied physics in medicine, and prescription drugs...which is fine, but they are not nutritionists. Learned that the hard way - lol, we grow up hearing the whole "Don't make changes to your diet without consulting your physician" thing over and over and yet, it rarely makes sense to do so.

I'm actually not in school, at least not for 20+ years now...sorry if that wasn't clear. As I mentioned, my job is as an online business manager (some of us call ourselves virtual assistants but that's usually sort of a step back, online biz mgr is the next progression, as VAs typically do mostly admin/back office type work but remotely, whereas online biz manager, I help run pretty much all aspects of clients' online businesses, almost more like a partner/consultant, vs assistant).

Ahhh thank you ;) I hope these genes bless me for many years to come!
  • bjwoodzy
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »
    Welcome @bjwoodzy ! I'm part of a few LCHF/Keto groups and this one is the best, hands down. :)

Thanks so much! I've actually been on the group since June (not very active since August), but just didn't know about the thread til yesterday :)
  • celizabet
    celizabet Posts: 48 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hello! I'm Tina, I am a single mom of two girls.

I About me/why I'm here: I got into low carb when I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes with my second pregnancy. During my first pregnancy, I put on 50 lbs but was able to lose it quickly after training for and doing a half-marathon when my daughter was six months old.

The second pregnancy I was about 60 lbs heavier to start, only gained 7 lbs during thanks to exercise/diet and since then I've been working to lose weight.

What is your go-to exercise when you are lacking motivation? Walking, just getting steps in. I have a fitbit and I try to AT LEAST get 10,000 steps in. I also go for a walk or just do some squats while taking care of the kids.

What is your go-to exercise? T25 right now, Shaun T. is damn fine.

How do you decide who to friend here and what would make you unfriend someone? I am happy to be friends with anyone! I really like seeing what other people are eating to give myself recipes ideas so I share my food diary with friends. Feel free to add me! I unfriend if the person sends lewd messages, I guess?

If you could choose any animal to represent you, which one would you choose? I would choose a

What is your stretch goal for 2016? Not sure what that means, but my general goal for 2017 is to get down to pre-pregnancy weight before my first baby (about 180 lbs).

What is your favorite low carb recipe? I personally love stir fry and I found a low carb cheesecake and it makes me happy.

What is the first thing that pops into your head when you're trying to stay focused and motivated to do this?
    My girls, my health, how good it feels when I am eating low carb (seriously, why does this feel so good?)

City or country life? I've always lived in big cities but I love how quiet it is in the country. There are more rural areas where I live and I love it there, too.

If you could go back and give yourself 1 piece of advice, what age would you be and what would you say? I don't know, that's a tough one. Probably save more money.

What is your favorite LCHF vegetable? Avocado!

Camel/Straw moment and motivation?
    Gestational diabetes diagnosis in August 2015, really introduced me to low carb lifestyle and made me realize all that sugar I was eating was killing me slowly.

Response I get from others who hear of my diet? No problem so ar!

Favorite month/season I love love love fall and both my daughters, my mom, and I have birthdays in Fall!

Favorite holiday/vacation destination? I love doing local day trips to new places!

Is your family supportive of your LCHF lifestyle? Yes! Haven't had problems.

Of all the changes you've seen in yourself since starting this WOE or your weight loss journey, what has been your favorite? My energy and how easy this seems to be now (easier than when I started!)

Had do you handle social situations?
    I generally do my own cooking and take care of myself, so if I am going somewhere where I'll be tempted I bring a snack for before/after. If really tempted, I will do so in moderation (e.g. vow to eat only half the piece of cake I was given, eat half a doughnut) and drink lots of water

Favorite drinks? Coffee with almond milk and stevia.

Goals for the weekend? working on getting my damn house clean.
  • bjwoodzy
    Options
    Hi @celizabet !

OMG I forgot avocados! I try to have one a day. Day trips sound fun.

LCHF does feel good! As for the WHY - there is actual science behind that - the brain needs fat and gets happy/regulates our mood when we feed ourselves good fat.

Also, check out these things, if you're interested:

The Oiling of America - talks about how fats work in our bodies plus the whole beginning is about the lipid hypothesis being a lie and pointing out how we were led through the low fat/high carb lies for 45 years.

https://www.sott.net/article/228186-Your-Brain-On-Ketones-How-a-High-fat-Diet-Can-Help-the-Brain-Work-Better

The Smarter Approach to Ketosis and Why Eating Fat Does Not Make You Fat: with Jonathan Bailor

I'm sure there are maaaaaany more good resources over at the Launch Pad
  • ProCoffeenator
    Options
    Thursday already?
    Well, did a two day streak of exercises followed by a messed up knee/hip. I really really want to exercise but I'm not sure if my body is ready for me to push it that extra bit. I skipped yesterday because it was painful going up and down the stairs at home and I knew something was wrong when it was bothering me during the day at work. So back to square one! Going to pull out my exercise binder and see which ones I can file as okay to do for the time being. It's my hip mostly and I can't distinguish if I pulled something or if this is yet another flare up of Fibromyalgia. Good times :disappointed:

My macros looked much better yesterday. Mainly my protein. I'm currently going after my numbers in my physical book which I just haven't had the time to transfer to the log here. I'm going to update it today! Seriously.

Welcome to the thread @celizabet !
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday!
    @ProCoffeenator - hope the pain is just too much, too soon with the exercise and not your fibro. Gentle stretching, heat and rest should help if it is the former. I've been hitting the mat way too hard at yoga (is that sort of oxymoronic?) and am forcing myself to take some time off just so I can get out of my chair without making noise. But I am missing my "om"!

So not sure what happened last night but I was having INSANE acid reflux. I had GERD pre-keto that has completely resolved. I don't know if my stomach was just not happy about my supplements (I take my magnesium, probiotic and some soy isoflavones for estrogen support at night) but I had these flares of agonizing pain in my esophagous and up into my ears. Not fun! Seems better this morning but I'd rather not repeat that again...
  • Carnivorekat
    Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    PamamaJane wrote: »
    supergal3 wrote: »
    @PamamaJane : I love your new photo, but miss the hat!!

Thanks!

My hobbies of choice are knitting and crocheting. Any other yarn fanatics here? If not, what other hobby or hobbies are represented in this group?

I crochet - find it relaxing, but haven't done it in ages, must get my hooks out and start doing it again.

Been ages since I have got on this page - soooooo many posts to catch up on - going to forget about the last couple of months and start fresh
  • BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    @PamamaJane I am a knitter as well. Yarnaholic too.
  • GlitterRayne
    GlitterRayne Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hey! Knitter and crocheter here too!!!
    It's been a rollercoaster of a past couple weeks. Went to LA over the weekend. Mostly fasted because everywhere I went there were bad carbs. Ugh.
    Then yesterday a 2 lb gain. Thinking it was the powdered coconut oil I tried using in my coffee. Back to the real stuff.
    This weekend is my local low carb meetup. I had a great time at the last one so this is gonna be fun!
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options

Thanks!

My hobbies of choice are knitting and crocheting. Any other yarn fanatics here? If not, what other hobby or hobbies are represented in this group?

I crochet - find it relaxing, but haven't done it in ages, must get my hooks out and start doing it again.

Been ages since I have got on this page - soooooo many posts to catch up on - going to forget about the last couple of months and start fresh

I tried to sew a button on a shirt once if that counts
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    KetoLady86 wrote: »

Thanks!

KetoLady86 wrote: »

Thanks!

Too funny! I can sew but cannot knit or crochet. I don't cross stitch or any of that stuff either...too tedious!
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I knit badly, but my dot-to-dot's are coming on well.

I am almost feeling normal again today. Food wise this week has been terrible, but onwards and upwards I say! Not going to throw in the towel.

Welcome to all the new faces in this thread, nice to getting to know you all. I love reading the updates of how you are all doing.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Back from vacay. Was way off plan, but had a blast. Came back for an interview, which could be promising, but I'm feeling the stress, distracted etc.
    Today I'm having a moderate carb day...tomorrow back to keto.
    Getting away for a few days was great for my mindset. I really needed that. I feel charged up and ready for some change. Time for some new direction and change of focus.
    My stomach really likes when I keep it low carb, my body aches less, my moods are better and I become more active.
    I enjoyed some of my off-plan food choices this week, but I'm just fine with getting back on plan.
    It's awesome that LCHF is starting to feel like home base.