NSV's

Options

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    I was talking to a friend from church about a week and a half ago regarding going keto because she was looking at cutting the garbage out of the diet of her family - focusing just on sugar and refined carbs. Her husband is diabetic and has not done well to manage it. His A1c is consistently in double digits. I believe she said his last one was around 12.5. She has struggled with weight (like most in our county) for many years, but has fortunately to this point not had any significant health issues.

She approached me after church yesterday to say she went keto on Tuesday. She said she told her husband what she was doing and that he didn't have to do it. He said he would. As of Sunday (less than a week into this), her husband has stopped taking his fast acting insulin at meal times and has had to cut the amount of slow acting insulin he takes at night. Even with that, his morning FBG has dropped from the 240's to the 120's.

She is completely thrilled, not just with that, but in how she is feeling and already seeing results in herself.

My NSV is I got to make a significant difference in 2 people's lives who have struggled - one with diabetes and the other with weight - for years and had all but given up hope that they could stop getting worse, let alone actually get better.

These are my favorite NSV's! I love it when someone discovers how easy it actually can be to be healthy! Especially when they really need it!
    can111 wrote: »
    NSV - I just bought a pair of skinny jeans. Always wanted them but never thought they looked good on me. Now I'm down 22 pounds and I'm ROCKIN the skinny jeans and boots! 14 more pounds to my goal weight. I am jazzed up on my no sugar/no flour lifestyle!

That's awesome! Feeling good in our clothes is such an important thing really. It does so much for our overall feeling of well being. It's such a great driver for continued success too!
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I'd say that's a big NSV, @LolaDeeDaisy23 !! Congrats!!

I finally started measuring various body parts last week. Today was measure day. Down 10 inches over 7 body parts this week! Why didn't I measure sooner?!?
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    I'd say that's a big NSV, @LolaDeeDaisy23 !! Congrats!!

I finally started measuring various body parts last week. Today was measure day. Down 10 inches over 7 body parts this week! Why didn't I measure sooner?!?

And that's what it's about!! Screw the scale!!!! I mean, the scale can be good too, but you're shrinking!! :)

Whew, I'm caffeinated today. And a morning person. It's bad y'all.
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    This is an old NSV that happened years ago, but I hope it will serve as inspiration/motivation for those new to the WOE. Before going LC, I HAD to brush my teeth at least 3 times a day. So I was always very particular about oral hygiene...mostly because as it seemed that as soon as a patient was put behind optometric equipment (phoroptor, slit lamp), they would instantly turn into "mouth breathers". Patients with poor oral hygiene and especially those who smoked and drank coffee just prior to exam would pretty much gross me out. Made me very aware of my own oral hygiene status. After switching to LC, I went from really needing a dental cleaning every 6 mos to every 2 yrs. No new cavities and my teeth always feel so clean and smooth that I have gone to once a day brushing (before bed) most days. Extra brushings happen when I am dating or attending social events. I am going thru a bit more floss tho...not a bad thing.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I just observed that absolute strangest NSV. For as long as I can remember, the interior corner of the nail on both of my ring fingers has ALWAYS curved downward, almost looking like someone was trying to bend my nail against my finger just on that inside tip (the part closest to the middle finger). As a result, I've always kept my nails pretty short, as I found this quite unattractive and inconvenient. I've just realized, in looking at something else on my nails that this appears to completely be gone, and my ring finger nails have as close to the same curve as my other fingers as I can tell with 1/4" long nails. I had noticed some other things going on with my nails, and my cuticle health is even improving as I'm using a DIY facial serum more often... But that was just wild. Nearest I can tell, it was likely a sign of a slight liver issue, as in the last 6 months, my liver test for ALT improved dramatically!

I'm also beginning to notice that a certain amount of my stomach acid levels seem to be improving - possibly due to improved liver and thyroid functions, though I'm not certain. I still need the digest enzymes, as of yet, but this has been a interesting event...but I'll wait to call it for a while yet.

EDITED TO ADD: Apparently finally improving my D3 levels can also be a contributing factor to the nail improvements.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    lamiller82 wrote: »
    Here's a strange one for you... I had to buy smaller shoes. My old boots are a size 10 and were too big on me this winter. My new winter boots are a size 9. My normal school shoes are danskos, and they fall off of me now.

Not at all strange. Depending on my weight my shoe size goes from a 10 to an 11. I wish like heck there were women's 10.5 readily available...sigh
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    @lamiller82 & @RowdysLady - Although the same length, my feet have gotten narrower. I always wore Converse All-Stars (Chucks for those familiar with them) when I was younger primarily because they run long and narrow. Over the years, my feet became wider almost to the point of being normal. Now, they are back to being narrow enough that I had to buy new shoe laces for my walking shoes because they were so long that even double knotted, they were dragging the ground. My Chucks are fitting better again, but all my other shoes, not so much.
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    kdz0444 wrote: »
    I had to buy new scrubs for work!! I went from and XL in bottoms and an XXL in tops to a medium in both tops and bottoms!!! 2 months and 9 days in. I have lost 27 lbs and over 30 inches!! I haven't been a medium in years.

Wow! Congratulations!