Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    W3D2 in the books! only one minor hiccup that could have been super dangerous but will laugh at it now.... My GSD decided that the treadmill looked like fun so she decided to try and get on under the console, needless to say it didn't work out so well for either of us.... No injuries!
  • _rachel_k
    _rachel_k Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Running is hard for me. It never used to be but now I have problems with my calves being tight and causing shin pain. I'm slowly starting C25K again (with compression socks and jogging at 5mph) and now I'm afraid.

I just finished week 5 day 2 yesterday and tomorrow I have week 5 day 3 and it went from intervals of walking 5 minutes and jogging 8 minutes to jumping right into jogging for 20 minutes. Then week 6 day 1 is back to intervals. Should I slow down my speed for the 20 minutes or should I stray away from the app for a couple days and do my own thing to get my running distance higher?
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @showjumper GSD? German Shepard Dog?? Mental picture of a bad crash - you trying to turn yourself inside out to not step/land on the Hound.
  • showjumper
    Options
    @juliet3455 yes she's a German shepherd and truly it would have been dispatching one to the hospital and one to the vet!! Inside out and inside the drywall!!!
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    _rachel_k wrote: »
    Running is hard for me. It never used to be but now I have problems with my calves being tight and causing shin pain. I'm slowly starting C25K again (with compression socks and jogging at 5mph) and now I'm afraid.

I just finished week 5 day 2 yesterday and tomorrow I have week 5 day 3 and it went from intervals of walking 5 minutes and jogging 8 minutes to jumping right into jogging for 20 minutes. Then week 6 day 1 is back to intervals. Should I slow down my speed for the 20 minutes or should I stray away from the app for a couple days and do my own thing to get my running distance higher?

slow down as much as you can and try it.if you can't do it,you can try again next time, but you won't know until you try.
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    Thanks jennypapaje. I'll try that
  • rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Thanks jennypapaje. I'll try that
    Jenny is right. I shared the same nervousness you have when I was heading into that 20 minute run. It felt like such a big jump going to 20 minutes. It felt so weird knowing I'd be doing that, then back down to smaller times. It felt like too much, and that I wouldn't be able to do it. And, when I went ahead and did it, it felt AMAZING. Trust the program. And, if you don't get it the first time, go after it again :). You can, and will, do it.
  • showjumper
    Options
    @_rachel_k Let us know how you did on your 20 min run :) I know it is super hard for me to run slow... I am a re-starter so I have been in your shoes a time or two, and will be back in them in just over a week. Good luck!
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    I don't claim to know everything but I for some reason think that it would defeat the purpose to slow the pace down for 20 minutes and then the following week speed it up again for intervals. If I didn't have the problem with my legs (calf and shin) I may not be so concerned about running 20 minutes. I'll keep you all posted tonight though!!
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I don't claim to know everything but I for some reason think that it would defeat the purpose to slow the pace down for 20 minutes and then the following week speed it up again for intervals. If I didn't have the problem with my legs (calf and shin) I may not be so concerned about running 20 minutes. I'll keep you all posted tonight though!!

Also, make sure you are stretching a little extra and try some dynamic stretches to loosen those calves up before you head out for the run. This is a good one that I recently discovered. Dynamic Stretching and Warm Up for Runners
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Finished week 3 today :)
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    Rusgolden thanks. I'll try those stretches out tonight
  • rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I just decided to go for it at my normal 5mph treadmill pace and told myself do what you can and slow down if you have to and the app knows me better than myself because I was able to do the whole thing at 5mph without falling over or dying!

Week 5 day 3 OVER!!
    Attagirl! Good stuff, congrats :)
  • showjumper
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @Piqueaboo me too :)

@_rachel_k Great job!!
  • z06tacoma
    z06tacoma Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Finished Week 2 day 3 on C210k. I started over from C25k after reading the book Born To Run. Anyone else read the book?
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    Starting over with c25k today. I was a runner and got sidelined with health and family issues for a year. Thought I could just do my own thing but have discovered that I need the discipline of a program to follow. Starting with week 2 as I had been running quarter mile intervals a couple weeks ago.

C25K W2D1 complete!
  • pdo27789
    pdo27789 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Week 7 complete B)

It's been a chilly week. Today it was -16 celsius when I went out :#

First race is boxing day. I don't expect to win anything with my 6:30 min/km pace, but it will be fun!
  • pdo27789
    pdo27789 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Week 8, day 2 complete B) One more training day to go.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I slacked but did week 4 day 1 today. I'm finally off work for the holidays so I aim to do one run a day, now I have time. For the next 7 days, i don't think that's too crazy.