Zero Carber-give me your meat!

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited January 2017
    Today is day 3 for me. I haven't had any problems ignoring the veggies (had already given up breads, pasta, taters, rice, etc). Had stir fried beef last night - just the beef with no sauces. Did have a minor problem after snacking on some ham (lunch meat) that turned out to be old - it cleaned me out pretty effectively, if you get what I mean :o . I have noticed that I have been sleeping better the last couple of nights and that I wake up feeling non-bloated so those are both major positives. I also am not getting the afternoon sleepies at work which is also great!

Midwesterner - the choice to eat or abstain from dairy is a personal choice. I use HWC and eat cheese products so I do get some minor carbage from that, but even just sticking to meat only products you can get minor carbage - crab, shrimp and most organ meats have some carbs, so I don't worry about the trace amounts in cheese, cream or eggs.

ETA - the only sauces that I have used so far are hot sauces (you can try and pry my hot sauce from my cold dead fingers!!) that are vinegar based, so they might have trace carbs but no sugars - I have avoided tomato based salsas. I was never a big user of ketchup or soy sauce in the first place. I also don't eat commercial BBQ sauce since (at least around here) all of them seem to be molasses based and they taste like I am eating a bowl of sugar!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    I've been ZC for about 11 weeks now. LCHF for a few weeks before that. I eat meat, eggs, butter, cream (HWC), and hard cheeses. I do use dried spices, mustard, and hot sauce in small quantities, and very seldom some mayo or ranch dressing. But no ketchup, no Bbq sauce, no marinades (lots of plants and sugars in that stuff).

I find it very liberating and simple to eat this way. I eat when hungry, stop when full. No need to track macros, since these foods are self limiting. I eat as little or as much as I need. Even when I've eaten a non ZC day (ahem, Christmas), I easily went right back to ZC eating the next day. No, "Oh, well, I failed; gonna binge the rest of the week on cookies" that plagued me in the past.
  • LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    Kirstie155 wrote: »
    @LemonMarmalade I have sent you a FR. How long have you been eating ZC?

Kirstie, Thank you for the friend request! I love making new friends!

I have been eating ZC on and off for two years. I played around a bit just trying to feel better when I had my gallbladder issues and boy did/do I regret it! I gain weight so fast on the S.A.D. And I just felt bloated and gross all of the time!!!

I do eat mayo and mustard. Occasionally a bit of BBQ sauce or ketchup but only once in awhile. I don't buy any special meat. Whatever is in the sale paper at Piggy Wiggly. Usually chicken thighs or legs, ground beef, Boston butt, brisket, pork chops, and when we are lucky ribeye steak. They sell whole ribeye for less than $5 a pound sometimes!! Yum!

:). I have to go eat hamburgers now...mmmm

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Dinner will be seriously delayed as I sit in an Urgent Care to figure out what my son did to his knee at the trampoline park.
    But, I'm good because I have some belly fat my body can munch on. :wink:
    Can't say I'm not ready to eat though.... ugh
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    I have two questions. I've read that a lot of protein gets turned into glucose which cancels the ketosis, AND I've always been told that too much protein is bad for one's kidneys. Are these true? If so, then how do you ZCers get around these two hurdles?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    RAC56 wrote: »
    I have two questions. I've read that a lot of protein gets turned into glucose which cancels the ketosis, AND I've always been told that too much protein is bad for one's kidneys. Are these true? If so, then how do you ZCers get around these two hurdles?

The protein becoming glucose is a a process called gluconeogenesis which is a demand driven process. Not a supply driven one. Meaning your body will only create glucose as needed. Not simply because a substrate is available for it. Protein can also be turned into fatty acids.
    Insulin resistance from hyperinsulinemia creates a higher demand. So unless you have that condition, you don't to limit protein.
  • williams969

An all meat (and dairy and eggs) diet isn't really all that high in protein. A moderately fatty cut of beef (say, a ribeye or chuck roast or 80/20 ground beef) is going to roughly have a fat to protein ratio of 1:1 by grams. That translates to roughly 70-80% fat and 20-30% protein calories.

And that's not counting the fats we use (butter, lard, cream, etc.), which would lower the protein and raise the fat percentages. An average ZC intake is naturally going to fall into an intake of protein that's no different than any other woe.

I cannot speak from authority on the GNG, but it is my general understanding that it is a demand driven process, not a supply issue. In other words, the body uses it to only make what it needs when it needs it; there's not more GNG just because dietary intake has increased.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    edited January 2017
    Thank you @Sunny_Bunny_ and @williams969 for your helpful comments. :)

@Sunny_Bunny_ I just read your comment about your son. I hope it's not too bad.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Thank you @Sunny_Bunny_ and @williams969 for your helpful comments. :)

@Sunny_Bunny_ I just read your comment about your son. I hope it's not too bad.

Thank you. Luckily it's just a sprained knee and ankle. A few days in a brace on crutches should get him back to baseball conditioning in no time.

I had to rush my response since I was just checking in here while killing time in a waiting room but, as far as the amount of protein on ZC, it's true it's not really any more than normal.
    I get anywhere between 60-120g a day. Averaging about 80g. That falls right where the calculators suggest I be to maintain muscle.

And as far as kidney health is concerned, you'd have to eat whole lot more than that to have any problems for healthy kidneys. And you'd have to do it consistently over time. It would be nearly impossible to consistently consume enough to cause harm to healthy kidneys. You'd have to be eating lean protein sources, pretty much exclusively, for sure.
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited January 2017
    Today is day 7 for me...I made it a whole week :) this is easy!I have been fasting since dinner last night (lamb and liverwurst) since my leaky bowles are still going strong

Edit: mfp cut off half my response!...Did someone say emojis could do this? BC I had a yucky face one right where it cut off. Anyway.

Going out to dinner tonight for hubbys birthday at bonefish grill, and going to stay zc with a ribeye and maybe a scallop or shrimp add on for a side. I told him I'm not cheating just because it's his birthday! He offered me a taste of his wine last night...I declined! Giving this my all for at least 30 days before any cheats.

Anyone a beef pro? I usually stick to sirloin, filets, ribeyes are my favorite. Roasts and butts and rounds all confuse me, but I'd like to learn more and make more epic meat meals when my freezer is empty. Choice, select...? Confusing. Google, here I come!

Sunny, sorry to hear about your son. I hope he heals quickly!

Have a great Saturday everyone!
  • Kirstie155
    Today was day 8. Still going strong and sticking 100% to zc although I'll admit it was tempting last night to resist my favorite appetizer and dessert that hubby ordered, but I did the eat a single taste! After dinner he was stuffed and sleepy and needed to rest. I had ribeye, butter, scallops and some of hubby's grilled fish. After dinner I felt great. Full but not stuffed, had energy and my pants weren't too tight!

TMI alert!
    Side effect: last 3-4 days in the evenings a few minutes after I finish eating, I have to run for the bathroom. This doesn't happen with breakfast or lunch. I am eating the same thing for breakfast and dinner, lamb leg cubed and pan fried. An hour or so After dinner tonight I had a small amount of cheddar cheese and had to run to the bathroom again. I'm stumped, and thinking of fasting, or drinking chicken stock and water.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    OMG is your avatar a pic of your actual fridge? :worried:
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    I wouldn't stop anything because of the bathroom issues. It is common for the urge to eliminate to come soon after eating. Now, I suspect this is also currently accompanied by very loose movements? That is also very common at the very start, while your body is adapting. It will all balance out soon enough.

Myself, I find that dinner is a common antecedent to my needing to use the restroom. I think it is just the time of day and the response to eating. Like my body is thinking, "better deal with this before bed."
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    I haven't tried these but look! Zero carb pancakes!
    http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/zero-carb-pancakes/
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,045 Member
    Last Night's Ribs

ky6vtop2ndzv.jpg
  • Kirstie155
    kirkor wrote: »
    OMG is your avatar a pic of your actual fridge? :worried:

Not my actual fridge. Just one off the interwebs :wink:
    Yes, goat it is lose and urgent. Currently cooking up some lamb for breakfast, so no fasting today. I'd post a pic, but I'm on my phone so...

Day 9, here I come!

* Also I *didn't* eat any of my husband s food. Not even a taste. Autocorrect.
  • Kirstie155
    LINIA wrote: »
    Last Night's Ribs

ky6vtop2ndzv.jpg

Oh yum!! That looks fantastic! I grilled some juvy Lucy burgers and some flank steak.ladt night to last the next few days. Mmmm
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Made it thru the first week! Feeling great, lots of energy for my workout this morning after a great night's sleep (sleeping is def going better with this WOE). Had temptations this weekend but ignored the chips/dip and taters that my better half made for the family game watching get-together yesterday - pigged out on the grilled steaks with sour cream, cheese and butter instead! Will weigh myself here in a bit and see if there has been any change there (feels like there should be, but you never know). I am also going to be logging food a little more consistently now that I am a week in.
  • Kirstie155
    Day...11? Ate my first meal out with people who have no idea how I eat. Went to a bbq place and just ordered a pint of brisket. The cashier asked if I wanted a drink, then said "I guess if you're avoiding the carbs, you just want water?" Yes, yes I do :)
    All the sides were super carby. Cornbread, sugary baked beans, mashed potatoes, coleslaw. He didn't even know I was ZC, and more importantly, the people I was with didn't bat an eye! Success!

I'm currently down about 4 ish pounds, and taking progress pictures in the mirror. I can already see a difference in my stomach and hips. Still having an issue with the bowels, but going to stop using dairy to see if that helps. Mood is good, sleep is good. Less bloat and more even energy. All in all going strong!
  • williams969
    Great success on dining out, @Kirstie155 ! I've been ZC almost 3 months now, and I am finding eating out quite easy. Unless it's a vegetarian restaurant, every place will gladly serve up some plain meat, no questions asked.

BBQ and burger houses are my favorite. Dry rub ribs, brisket, smoked sausage, burger patties with bacon and/or cheese and fried egg.