Dating life Post Surgery

Options

Replies

• Stephaniev51697
    Stephaniev51697 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    jcavanna2 wrote: »
    @Stephaniev51697 - my sister lives in Old Bethpage and other friends are in Lyndhurst! Next time I head "home" we should try and meet up!

@jcavanna2 Definitely let me know the next time you are "home", I'd love to meet up!
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Will definitely do that!
  • AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Dating was terrifying! Intimacy seemed like judgement day. I was with my now ex for 17 years. We divorced 6mo post op. I've lost over 200 lbs in just over a year and a half...my body looks like a deflated balloon hahaha!!! I'm very lucky; however, and met a wonderful man. He and I are serious now, but it still amazes me that he'll sit on the side of the tub when I bathe and keep me company...with my extra skin kinda floating and my breasts non existent for the most part. I keep asking him how it doesn't bother him. He just laughs and squeezes me and tells me that I'm perfect. I can't even understand this!

As far as intimacy...I have been with a few men since my divorce. One of them and I became friends. I asked him seriously about my body, and he kinda got angry. He said that it wasn't even a topic for discussion. I got offended until he explained. He told me that I'm incredible as a person and as a partner, and my confidence made any issues that I had with my body literally non-existent. Another partner had WLS 3 yrs before and hadn't been with a woman for 6 years. We found all of his out when we noticed our "tell-tale" eating habits on a blind date lol. We too remain in contact.

Bottom line - I've been 100% open. I've dated through tinder. I've told all of the men that I've gone out with prior to our first date. I've only found one person who was no longer interested.

Saddest part...I now see how miserable and alone I was in my marriage.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    NicoleL874 wrote: »
    And....READY FOR THIS? Ghosted...AGAIN.

So, the ghost...he was a chef. We went out on 12/5, had a fantastic time, five hours in a restaurant talking and laughing. He invited me to his house for dinner because he wanted to cook. A few nights later, it seemed like he was flaking, acting like he didn't remember, but said we were still on. The next morning I got a message that he needed to reschedule to that Saturday, I said I could make Saturday work. Then nothing until late Friday afternoon. He called and asked if we were still on, I laughed and said no...I thought he had blown me off. We talked, worked it out, and set up for this past Saturday. We talked every day on the phone. Wednesday, he said he'd call me on Thursday to confirm the time and plans. Thursday, I sent him a picture of my mini-blinds (broke, I installed, he had been following the saga) to no response. Friday, I sent him a "Good morning!" message. Nothing. Friday night, I called and left a message to text and I can call him back, busy, girlfriends, blah blah blah. Saturday around 11am I called and left a message stating I hope he's ok, and everything's alright. I said I had the same feeling the week before, and I didn't think he was the type to just stop calling, and I hoped he enjoyed his weekend. The only reason I left that message was from our call the previous week where he was upset that I had not tried to call him. So...he's done. Why does it seem the guys with the most potential ghost? Sissies. lol

Anyone remember this? UPDATE! LMAO! Well, on January 1, I received a message "We should have at least f**ked." Um. What? And a good morning to you. I was shocked, and didn't have time to respond...next up? "I'm so hard right now." And a picture with proof. rofl! WHAT? Does this really work? Ever?

Ok, so my response? Yeah, he didn't know that I searched him after our first date, to kinda get a better feel on him...I responded with his real name, and his full work name..."So, Mr. Cheffy, Nutritional Director of That Hospital. You're lucky I'm not some crazy b*tch. I'm sure all of your employees and co-workers would love to see that plastered as a flier on their windshield. Oh, and what about your brothers at the Knights of Columbus? Doesn't seem like a smart first move after blowing someone off months ago!"

He actually persisted in trying to get me to come over! Telling me he liked my strict side and would love to see it in person! I was near tears from laughter! I finally ended it with, "Don't make me pull my crazy out and make good on my threat. Right now I'm leaning toward color instead of B&W."

I don't think I'll hear from him again...
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I still don't understand why some guys think we want to see it. Even if we're getting ready to do the deed, I still really don't want to see it. Lol. I usually liked to respond with a "Aw. That's hard?! I'm so sorry." I got called a b*tch a lot, but meh.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Ba ha ha -
    I still don't understand why some guys think we want to see it. Even if we're getting ready to do the deed, I still really don't want to see it. Lol. I usually liked to respond with a "Aw. That's hard?! I'm so sorry." I got called a b*tch a lot, but meh.

That is AWESOME!!! I don't get some of these guys - what I do know is that clearly they don't deserve you!

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

I really don't get it either. A picture of your junk is not going to automatically make me think that you are the hottest man in the world and I have to have you NOW. Most of the guys that send those pics really think they have something special. I usually tell them, unless it's laying golden eggs or can do my laundry for me, it isn't as special as you think it is.
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    Truth be told, it was impressive, lmao! It irked me more that he blew me off, rofl! But...I'm not desperate, and was not going to feed his ego at all, so I went with the flier idea.
  • pal00ga
    pal00ga Posts: 139 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    So I've missed a lot of the discussion in here, but I've just started getting back into the swing of things (I'll be 5 years post op in May). I have had a couple interesting dates during these 5 years, and I had a lot of questions in my head about when to talk about my surgery and whatnot.

Thankfully, most of the guys I've dated during that time were not as worried about it as I was. The worst experience I had was with a guy who I dated a little while, and I told him I had had surgery. When the night finally came we decided to get intimate, as we were kissing and touching, he asked with heavy breathing between kisses 'So what kind of workouts are you doing to tighten this skin?' Right away I stopped him and asked 'Really?' He tried to tell me to forget it and that he misspoke, but I told him he made me very self-conscious when I'm not used to being that. I wasn't able to get comfortable with him after that.

I also dated a really health-conscious cardiologist for about 6 months as well. He was very fit, went to the gym daily, etc, but he always complimented me on my body and whatnot even with the excess skin. I had told him before at the beginning of us dating about the surgery and all that was said was along the lines of "Well you have done really well and look amazing", so I thought it was cool that he was pretty normal about it. Well, fast-forward 6 months and he's telling me about how one of his doctor buddies is trying to get him into doing weight loss surgeries with him. He tells me he doesn't know that he would want to get into it though since it's mostly just for people who don't want to put in the hard work to lose weight. Flabbergasted, I remind him that I had WLS, and how much work it still took to lose the weight. He totally forgot and tried to take back what he said. I didn't break up with him due to that at all, but we did split soon after.
    I've never had any other bad experiences. Most guys are just thrilled to be with someone who feels happy about themselves and enjoy being with them.
  • garber6th
    Options
    pal00ga wrote: »
    The worst experience I had was with a guy who I dated a little while, and I told him I had had surgery. When the night finally came we decided to get intimate, as we were kissing and touching, he asked with heavy breathing between kisses 'So what kind of workouts are you doing to tighten this skin?'

I had a similar situation with someone who I was dating. We seemed like a really great match. Got along great, had fun together. He knew about the surgery and I did mention that I had some loose skin, and he acted like it was not a concern. We dated for a month or so, and the day after the first time we heavily made out and he actually got a feel, he called me to tell me he "couldn't handle it". It stung at first, but I quickly realized I dodged a bullet. The funny thing is, he was a couple of years older than me, (I was 52 at the time), and at that time I was also dating a guy who was 32, totally cute, totally fun, and he thought I was the hottest thing since fire. I expected the older guy to be more mature, but it didn't turn out that way at all.

• pal00ga
    pal00ga Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Eek, while rejection hurts, if it's due to something as petty as 'not being able to handle' loose skin, you definitely dodged a bullet.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    The Anthony Wiener Syndrome.
    Made me lol. I always felt that he was just trying to live up to his name. And if you're going to go into public office, having a name like WIener is not a great idea. :D
  • petunia773
    petunia773 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    petunia773 wrote: »
    Well...the guy I started seeing in mid-October flaked out on me and told me Monday night he can't be in a relationship and needs to fine himself. UGH!! Men!!!

Good things come to those who wait!!! He figured out he loves me and wants to be with me. I am so happy. This is a pic we took on our first date back in October. I took pics Friday night but the lighting was crap so they didn't really turn out...We had some stuff to work out and the dip *kitten* went back to his psycho ex but broke it off with her for good on Sunday. Oh boy...I need to trust him and trust in his love for me and take things nice and slow.

qedg5wq05e1d.jpg
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    @petunia773 Congrats Becky! Hope it all works out for you!

I'm just home from my one month away. Trying to process some crap, so avoiding all at this point. We'll see...
  • petunia773
    petunia773 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    @petunia773 Congrats Becky! Hope it all works out for you!

I'm just home from my one month away. Trying to process some crap, so avoiding all at this point. We'll see...

Good luck sweetie.
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    Back to IL, back to life, back to dating? Food and fun, Halloween/boat guy has disappeared...BOO! Hopefully, he'll call for more fun, lol! In the meantime, I'm back on POF. I hate that site. lol

Last night I had drinks (was supposed to be dinner, he decided not to order food so I didn't) with a train wreck. This guy was HOT. His photos did him NO justice. Hottest date YET. (not like I get a lot of hot guys, lol) I knew from a conversation that we didn't quite match up politically, but WOW. I'm kinda glad it all came out the first time we met, but it was A LOT for the first time we met! Let's just say he didn't even get a handshake as I left...I was shocked at the information falling from his mouth.

I do have to say I find myself laughing a lot more this time around. Not because it's funny, but because it's funny...heh

• garber6th
    Options
    Back to IL, back to life, back to dating? Food and fun, Halloween/boat guy has disappeared...BOO! Hopefully, he'll call for more fun, lol! In the meantime, I'm back on POF. I hate that site. lol

Last night I had drinks (was supposed to be dinner, he decided not to order food so I didn't) with a train wreck. This guy was HOT. His photos did him NO justice. Hottest date YET. (not like I get a lot of hot guys, lol) I knew from a conversation that we didn't quite match up politically, but WOW. I'm kinda glad it all came out the first time we met, but it was A LOT for the first time we met! Let's just say he didn't even get a handshake as I left...I was shocked at the information falling from his mouth.

I do have to say I find myself laughing a lot more this time around. Not because it's funny, but because it's funny...heh

I have always said, if you let people talk, the herd thins itself and saves you the trouble!
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    I have always said, if you let people talk, the herd thins itself and saves you the trouble!

You are NOT kidding there! On that, I'm a talker. For real, my family complains, my friends know how to shut me up, lol! I've noticed with the last handful of dates I haven't been able to get a word in! Even when I start talking, these guys interrupt and have stories to add, then never get back to what I was saying. It perplexes me, lol! I'm a thoughtful talker. I ask questions, if things go silent, I can come up with a topic or a question. So few ask me questions.

I'm a sign language interpreter. You'd think that alone would spark some conversation. Last two dates never even found out what type of interpreting I do. I wish there was a way to thin the herd a little more quickly, lol!

• DizGal
    DizGal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Had to jump into this convo to see what my future is going to be like...I just had VSG 3-4 weeks ago so I'm very much focused on dating "me" for the foreseeable future while I establish my new lifestyle and focus on healthy habits, but curious what is going to await me once I dive back into the dating pool. I'm looking online but not contacting, lol.

I just finalized a divorce in November, and while we were only together for 4-5 years, he did a number on my body image emotionally. I had gained maybe 30lbs since marrying him (I wasn't thin when I met him) and while he never admitted it bothered him until the end, he acted like it in every small way I refused to notice that chipped away at my soul. The deal breaker for me was when he texted me a picture he had snuck of me (stuffed into an airplane window seat on a 6 hour flight back from Vegas) and stated "He just wasn't attracted to this"...yeah well duh, I'm not attracted to anyone stuffed into an airplane seat either. I filed papers the next day. Wish I had my money back from the trip I paid for!

Someone HAS to reassure me that not all men are shallow enough to end a relationship over 30lbs...