Starting OMAD? Introduce Yourself Here!

Replies

• 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    dajoloehr wrote: »
    I didn't even know this was a thing! :)
    Hello everyone, my name is Danica and I started doing IF Jan. 2, but I started at an extreme and am only eating 1 meal a day, and I love it. I started my journey April 2015 with Herbalife shakes, I don't think it was Herbalife products itself that are the miracle, but the idea of saving calories with shakes that tasted good and were easy to stick to. I lost 70lbs and gained back 20 last year. I read about IF somewhere on MFP forums and though I would try it. I am a binge eater, no denying that. I need to feel full so OMAD is perfect for me. Ive been drinking 3L+ or water during the day, and than have a "protein" coffee to end my fast sometime between 3-4pm than one huge glorious meal before 7pm that consists of lean meats and vegetables. I love that I can eat a little bit of, formally known as "NO", foods if I feel like it and not feel bad about it. Before if I ate and "NO" foods, it would result in me feeling like I failed and just stuffing everything I could see in my face.
    I'm starting this @ 260 as of Jan.2 and Im down to 255. My goal wight is 190, Im 6'1 and I have no desire to be too small, just healthy.

WOW that is amazing! Please open a thread and keep us updated with your progress. It seems like you have a very satisfying journey in front of you and I think you could really motivate us all here with your progress (and get some motivation from us as well!)

You're an inspiration!
  • 1MADGIRL
    greeshu_89 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I started OMAD from Thursday 05.01.2016 after getting inspired by seeing success stories you guys have shared.
    About me, I am Greeshma living in Chennai, India. My starting weight is 213 lbs. My goal weight is around 145 to 155 lbs. I am getting married in May this year and that is an additional motivation for me right now.

In the past, I have tried various diets including water fasting, Calorie counting and workouts. I did manage to lose around 15 lbs during 2015 by watching my diet and working out regularly but then gained all that plus some more back when I stopped watching my diet.

This time around I want to lose weight the right way and my experience with OMAD since last 4 days have been good. Can feel huge decline in my craving for junk food. I am also trying to incorporate a 1 hour walk daily. I shall keep updating in this group and would love to read about how all of you are doing.

Congratulations on your engagement.
  • dajoloehr
    dajoloehr Posts: 447 Member
    I just wanted to say how nice it is to be "around" a group of people that don't look at you like your growing a third arm out of your head, when you tell them your only eating once a day. :)
  • Flybeetle
    Flybeetle Posts: 387 Member
    edited January 2017
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Flybeetle wrote: »
    @danacbayley... I think the great thing about IF is that you can try out and tweak different protocols to suit YOU. Some people absolutely love feeling stuffed, others, like me and you, can't stand that feeling, perhaps because we're programmed to think it's "bad" to be that full, and we can take a bit (or a lot) longer to eat all our calories.

I agree with this. I don't like feeling stuffed and icky either. When I was at a slimmer weight I was a really good intuitive eater and "knew" when I had eaten just right. I had a body with a good "set point" that faithfully steered me. I knew how to work with my body and read those signals telling me to eat less or more. I would love to get back to that natural rhythm again. But my body doesn't want to keep me at a lower weight like it did before. Now it fights me to go back to a higher weight.

^^this... I have kind of accepted that I will always have to log my food in order not to gain weight but wow, would I love for it to be less effortful...!
    And intuitive eating sounds so lovely! I'm not sure if I ever really was able to do that like you, @DebSozo , but perhaps if you've been able to do it before you'll be able to get there again!
  • Flybeetle

[/quote]

You and are are very similar. I'm sure we will be great OMAD friends. :) I'd love to track progress with you[/quote]

Yayyy @1MADGIRL , I'd love that ! :)
    And hahaha, @dajoloehr , definitely feel the same! I think it's easier not to tell anyone until you can say "I've done this for months and have obviously not grown that third arm/ starved myself into oblivion, so it's OK..!"
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    DebSozo wrote: »
    @danacbayley... I think the great thing about IF is that you can try out and tweak different protocols to suit YOU. Some people absolutely love feeling stuffed, others, like me and you, can't stand that feeling, perhaps because we're programmed to think it's "bad" to be that full, and we can take a bit (or a lot) longer to eat all our calories.

I agree with this. I don't like feeling stuffed and icky either. When I was at a slimmer weight I was a really good intuitive eater and "knew" when I had eaten just right. I had a body with a good "set point" that faithfully steered me. I knew how to work with my body and read those signals telling me to eat less or more. I would love to get back to that natural rhythm again. But my body doesn't want to keep me at a lower weight like it did before. Now it fights me to go back to a higher weight.

^^this... I have kind of accepted that I will always have to log my food in order not to gain weight but wow, would I love for it to be less effortful...!
    And intuitive eating sounds so lovely! I'm not sure if I ever really was able to do that like you, @DebSozo , but perhaps if you've been able to do it before you'll be able to get there again!

Thanks for the encouraging words. It might happen!
  • vinyladdict
    vinyladdict Posts: 85 Member
    Weight: 359.6 lbs
    Height: 6'5"
    Struggles: Alcohol dependence to help insomnia, which leads to binge eating and numerous ill effects.
    OMAD Start: 1/4/2017
    OMAD Time: 430p-830p
    Goal Weight: 250 lbs is my minimum goal

I've tried OMAD a handful of times going back nearly three years ago after finding this page. It's an incredible lifestyle when you can make it work. The results were ten fold. Recently, I've had a Come to Jesus meeting with myself. At 38, I'm nearly 360 lbs again after going from 425 lbs to 285 lbs between 2010-2012, constantly fluctuating since then. As much as I enjoy being the life of the party and having a good time, I've realized that alcohol, mainly hard liquor, is my crutch. Not a one drink and done guy. I'll have a beer with dinner and may enjoy a few more than that during a special occasion and will be just fine. Since the 4th, I haven't craved alcohol and have been sleeping better, feeling so much more motivated, and am noticing my mind clearing up. The longest I've committed to OMAD was two months and I felt like I could throw a house. I want that feeling and happiness back.

Our tomorrow's are never guaranteed and I want a healthy life. Tired of being this way and tired of being weak. I'm strong and need to prove it.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited January 2017
    Howdy Vinyl! Desire is the starting point I think. You have a plan also. You can do it! Wish you the best!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited January 2017
    Struggles: Alcohol dependence to help insomnia, which leads to binge eating and numerous ill effects.

I've tried OMAD a handful of times going back nearly three years ago after finding this page. It's an incredible lifestyle when you can make it work. The results were ten fold. Recently, I've had a Come to Jesus meeting with myself. At 38, I'm nearly 360 lbs again after going from 425 lbs to 285 lbs between 2010-2012, constantly fluctuating since then. As much as I enjoy being the life of the party and having a good time, I've realized that alcohol, mainly hard liquor, is my crutch. Not a one drink and done guy. I'll have a beer with dinner and may enjoy a few more than that during a special occasion and will be just fine.Since the 4th, I haven't craved alcohol and have been sleeping better, feeling so much more motivated, and am noticing my mind clearing up. The longest I've committed to OMAD was two months and I felt like I could throw a house. I want that feeling and happiness back.

Our tomorrow's are never guaranteed and I want a healthy life. Tired of being this way and tired of being weak. I'm strong and need to prove it.

You have kept 65 pounds off of your original weight, and that is no small task. Obviously you are not weak because at one point you got down to 285 pounds. Since you are tall that weight probably felt good. That took an incredible amount of strength and determination!

I think it is terrific that you quit drinking and are sleeping better. Alcohol actually disrupts sleep. So it is no surprise you are sleeping better. It sounds like you are very motivated.

At 38 you are young and can turn your health around much more quickly than someone much older. This is the perfect time to get that healthy life and avoid the problems that a high weight can cause overy the years. Be patient, and most importantly-- don't give up.
  • Flybeetle

I really admire the fact that you've fully recognised your crutches and what's been holding you back and have committed to going forward, towards health and feeling happier! Your advantage is that you've done this before so you KNOW that it works for you and that it takes some time getting used to it. You'll do it again and we'll be here cheering you on!!
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member

I've tried OMAD a handful of times going back nearly three years ago after finding this page. It's an incredible lifestyle when you can make it work. The results were ten fold. Recently, I've had a Come to Jesus meeting with myself. At 38, I'm nearly 360 lbs again after going from 425 lbs to 285 lbs between 2010-2012, constantly fluctuating since then. As much as I enjoy being the life of the party and having a good time, I've realized that alcohol, mainly hard liquor, is my crutch. Not a one drink and done guy. I'll have a beer with dinner and may enjoy a few more than that during a special occasion and will be just fine. Since the 4th, I haven't craved alcohol and have been sleeping better, feeling so much more motivated, and am noticing my mind clearing up. The longest I've committed to OMAD was two months and I felt like I could throw a house. I want that feeling and happiness back.

Hey there, Vinyl. Sounds like you are now ready. And of course, it is a mental thing. Most definitely.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    Welcome!
  • slurio
    slurio Posts: 4 Member
    Weight 64.4 kgs
    height: 172 cm
    my goal weight is 55 kgs
    I started yesterday 17/1/2017
    I have been in an endless cycle of dieting and giving up but I have never been satisfied with my body
    I read about intermittent fasting and thought what if I ate one meal a day (because 8 hours or 4 hours of eating will never restrict me) but I was afraid it wasn't healthy or not effective, while searching for my answer I found the OMAD revolution on youtube and every video felt like it was talking to my soul hahah
    I just know this is the right eating habit for me because I love food but I always feel guilty and like crap when I snack alot
  • vinyladdict
    Weight 64.4 kgs
    height: 172 cm
    my goal weight is 55 kgs
    I started yesterday 17/1/2017
    I have been in an endless cycle of dieting and giving up but I have never been satisfied with my body
    I read about intermittent fasting and thought what if I ate one meal a day (because 8 hours or 4 hours of eating will never restrict me) but I was afraid it wasn't healthy or not effective, while searching for my answer I found the OMAD revolution on youtube and every video felt like it was talking to my soul hahah
    I just know this is the right eating habit for me because I love food but I always feel guilty and like crap when I snack alot

The best part about OMAD is freedom. You don't have to put yourself into Diet Prison by not allowing yourself certain foods. It's all about moderation. Listen to what your mind tells you. "You can't have this now, but you can have it later," should be repeated ad nauseum when you find yourself getting weak around food. You'll find that you're a lot stronger than you initially think. Hunger pangs are never fun, but they will go away, and will become more manageable as time progresses. Good luck!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Brenda
    Started LC...September 6th
    Starting Weight...194
    Started OMAD...December 19th
    Today's Weight...158
    Height...5' 3"
    Goal Weight...130
    Eating window...Between 4 and 5
    1 Splurge Day Per Week

Struggling with what to eat...Is low carb ok?
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Brenda
    Starting Weight...194
    Today's Weight...158
    Height...5' 3"
    Goal Weight...130
    1 Splurge Day Per Week

I think most here won't say you cant eat carbs but will also say it isn't absolutely necessary either.
  • 1MADGIRL
    Brenda
    Starting Weight...194
    Today's Weight...158
    Height...5' 3"
    Goal Weight...130
    1 Splurge Day Per Week

Most of us eat whatever we want for our one meal as long as it can fit in one plate - and we lose the weight. If you eat low carb you'd probably find that you'll lose weight faster. One warning about low carb is that maintenance can be a real pain. I've been there, done that. I got tired of not eating pasta and fruit and when I went back to eating these foods I gained all the weight back.
  • Brendalea69
    Thanks, I like how I feel eating low carb and will most likely continue even when I get to maintenance, I do eat high carbs but only on my splurge days and hopefully I will get more splurge days once I get to maintenance :)
  • Brendalea69
    Does anyone else that does OMAD do a fasting day where they consume no food?
  • vinyladdict
    Thanks, I like how I feel eating low carb and will most likely continue even when I get to maintenance, I do eat high carbs but only on my splurge days and hopefully I will get more splurge days once I get to maintenance :)

What would you and anyone else reading this thread consider to be, "High carb?" In 2010, I lost over 100 lbs. eating Medifast meals and cooking dinner, which consisted between 85-100g of carbs per day. Good carbs, not from sugar. I usually stay within the 60g range.