Scale, why should I dump thee? Let me count the ways....

Options

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »
    Would we consider the scale at the doctor's office more accurate? My scale at home is very consistent with the readings and has a similar reading to the doctor's office type scales. I would be sad to learn if my scale is underestimating my weight by 5 lbs! But as far as day in and day out progress, because it is consistent I continue to use it.

The problem is that our body's aren't even accurate. Lol
    Ok. They aren't consistent. That's where the problem is.

Truer words, ne'er spoken!

• RalfLott
    Options
    Bümp for anyone (else) with a sh!ț for a scale.
  • cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It's really just a measure of the pull of gravity in relation to your body mass... Not a reflection of one's worth.

AND gravity can change. Really.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Bump up time, because this is an awesome thread.
  • RalfLott
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Scale technology has not advanced conspicuously since flat-earth days....

(Instruction starts at 3:45)

https://youtu.be/yp_l5ntikaU?t=225
  • RalfLott
    Options
    <refresh>
  • TravellerRay
    TravellerRay Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    6) You change depending at what time I weigh in, must I factor in the angle of gravity from the moon?
  • RalfLott
    Options
    6) You change depending at what time I weigh in, must I factor in the angle of gravity from the moon?

Yes! It's a known fact within the lunatic fringe of creatures with scales.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I think the scale is a good gauge of overall progress, but as you get closer to your desired goal I think it becomes less reliable. I can swing 3-5lbs in a day, and now I know that it has to do with water retention & how long since certain body functions have occurred. I love the suggestion to get a tape measure ASAP, with or without the scale use. This is what we are looking for anyways, how good we look. Not so much what the scale says. I think overall the measurements & scale are indicators of how good we look at the end of the day. So I wont ditch my scale ever! As much as I use it to indicate the way down, I never want to relax and not see the trend the wrong way either.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I'm guessing you'd notice if you had to loosen your belt or switch to sweat pants for work ;), but if the scale doesn't cause blood pressure spikes 3x daily before you step on it, no big deal!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    I'm guessing you'd notice if you had to loosen your belt or switch to sweat pants for work ;), but if the scale doesn't cause blood pressure spikes 3x daily before you step on it, no big deal!

I get what you mean, but sometimes weight gain is gradual, and clothes naturally stretch over time. Also I dont like tight clothes so buy mine a little loose anyway - I can easily gain a whole size in pants before noticing - one day they will seem a little tight, so I go to buy new pants and have to go up a size. Check the scale and gained 10 pounds. I dont want to wait until I have to switch to sweat pants before I "notice" ! By then its a little late!

So I weigh every day. But I use a wifi scale that autorecords it for me, so I just jump on in the morning, glance at it and get in the shower and forget about it. once in a while I check the graph of the past few weeks to make sure it is not trending up.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Would we consider the scale at the doctor's office more accurate? My scale at home is very consistent with the readings and has a similar reading to the doctor's office type scales. I would be sad to learn if my scale is underestimating my weight by 5 lbs! But as far as day in and day out progress, because it is consistent I continue to use it.

From a purely nerdy perspective, if I can't calibrate it, it's can not be precise. It may very well be accurate as far as repeating possibly wrong data, but most of what we are doing are estimates at best.

If we could, in general, step back from attaching so much importance to that number and just use it as a tool, so many would be happier with themselves.
  • RalfLott
    edited April 2017
    Options

It may very well be accurate as far as repeating possibly wrong data, but most of what we are doing are estimates at best.

Yep. The same goes for food values. We can be off by significant amounts - and that's assuming we measure accurately.

Just looking briefly through reports on supplements at Labdoor.com, even well-reputed companies can be off by 30% on the amount of active ingredient per serving.... :s
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Vis-a-vis the original question of the thread, it reminds me of a programme I watched many years ago, on body function, health, and odd facts, and I distinctly remember them trying to work out a conundrum:

They introduced a guy who at the time, held the world record for eating 5kg of spaghetti in around 10 minutes, or something ridiculous like that....So: They weighed him before the eat-in. He ate, on stage, in front of a live studio audience, 5kg of pasta as fast as he could (but didn't break his own record) and even while he was chewing the last mouthful, he got back onto the scales.
    He weighed just 1lb more than before eating 5kg of spaghetti.

W T actual F.....?!
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options

My scale used to be in a doctor's office and it is different from the scale in MY doctor's office.
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I have a fancy 'weight watchers' scale that has all the bells and whistles, but I don't use it any more because its accuracy is abysmal. The readout will confidently tell you down to 0.1 pounds what it thinks you weigh, but if you get on and off five times in a row you will get five different results. And they can very by several pounds each way.

It turns out that it was only accurate to with +/- 1 pound, for weights under 100 lbs. Over 100 lbs, it was worse than +/- 1%. So at 400 lbs, that's +/- 4lbs, or potentially an 8lb swing, every time you get on the thing.

What I use now is a commercial scale meant for measuring products. I got it on sale at Staples, and its accuracy is +/- 1 lb up to 400 lbs. I've found it is a lot more consistant and reliable / believable. The readout doesn't give 0.1 lb increments, it does 0.5lbs but if I fall on a .5 I round up, I only record whole numbers in my diary / log.

Even at that, I know the scale may not be terribly accurate because our bodies fluctuate daily and weekly. But it's a guideline, and it's numbers, and I do like numbers. :smile:

p.s. sorry if I've posted all that before, I am having deja-vu but I don't think I've posted in this thread before.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    tomato is a vegetable according to the government as confirmed by the supreme court

stupid, but true

Intelligence is knowing the tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it onto a fruit salad....

Does this mean my fruit salad of zucchini, tomato and avocado is no good?
  • RalfLott
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    tomato is a vegetable according to the government as confirmed by the supreme court

stupid, but true

Just don't put ketchup on it...
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    cstehansen wrote: »

stupid, but true

Just don't put ketchup on it...

I never liked that red sugar sludge.