TEAM TWO

Replies

• jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    @jenilla1 @lbenson2006 Yay! You guys are visiting me! I LOVE it! I will make room for everyone!

On a side note, I also run a little amazing race challenge with some friends (it's just 6 of us) that is mostly focused on losing weight though. So anyway, since this week is our last of 10 we are headed home and flying in to Montego Bay (our week begins on Sunday so it was given from yesterday). When I logged in and saw that's the same place we are going with this race, I found it VERY amusing :D .

So like I usually do I started the challenges already. Actually, completed challenge # 1 and 2. For challenge # 1 I did the 2nd video. It was ok. I couldn't keep up with everything but I did what I could. Challenge # 2 I enjoyed thoroughly. I started a new exercise program last week and was feeling a bit of muscle soreness. This routine really helped with it and reminded me how important it is to stretch, something I don't do nearly enough of. (By the way it is 25 mins and not 20 mins.)

As for challenge # 3, I use most of those spices daily. I think the only one I rarely use is nutmeg. I'm going to google and find a recipe that uses it. The website link that hawkins provided suggested a carrot drink. Will do more research on that.

I agree with @llmg970, let's see if we can steal 3rd place overall this week. Let's all do our part. Especially the challenges. Get those done early because they are easy. We can do this Team 2 Beat!
  • jamaicanlady
    @Cindyk4919 I'm embarassed to say I've never been :'( .
  • energyseeker
    energyseeker Posts: 855 Member
    Wow, Healthy Breakfasts!
    My breakfast was at 5 a.m. ;)
  • Cindyk4919
    Cindyk4919 Posts: 399 Member
    @murdog3t is our teams most dedicated exerciser, averaging just over 2 hours per day. Which is amazing!
    I think that I'm doing pretty good averaging 40 minutes per day, and I am way down in the bottom 15% of the whole group of racers!
    I do work 6 days per week at a job that is sometimes physically demanding and I did lose some momentum last week with my injury....but still
    How in the world do those top exercisors like @GrandmaJackie do it? She is averaging more than 3 hours per day!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Cindyk4919 wrote: »
    @murdog3t is our teams most dedicated exerciser, averaging just over 2 hours per day. Which is amazing!
    I think that I'm doing pretty good averaging 40 minutes per day, and I am way down in the bottom 15% of the whole group of racers!
    I do work 6 days per week at a job that is sometimes physically demanding and I did lose some momentum last week with my injury....but still
    How in the world do those top exercisors like @GrandmaJackie do it? She is averaging more than 3 hours per day!

I don't know! If I worked out at my normal intensity (which is pretty intense) for 3 hours every day, I'd be dead by now...With spring approaching, my energy levels are up and I've been getting more miles in, but my best so far is still just under 10 hours a week. I can run for 3 hours in the hills, but I can't do it more than a couple of times a week. And when it comes to exercise, I like intensity. I can try to go slow and easy, but I get so restless and I want to push myself. ;)

I think I'm going to try to make it past the 700 mile mark this week. Wish me luck...
  • Cindyk4919
    @Cindyk4919 I'm embarassed to say I've never been :'( .

And I have never been to House on The Rock- One of our more famous tourist attractions.
    Dunns Falls is fun and beautiful, but a very commercialized tourist trap. I would have rather gone to a less known, beautiful place and skip the tourist crowd.

• jenilla1
    Challenge #3
    I was going to choose thyme, since it grows in my yard year-round and I cook with it 3-4 times a week. But that seemed too easy. So I picked ginger.

I made potsticker noodle bowls for dinner using freshly grated ginger as the primary seasoning. I used enough that it was quite spicy. I made it "healthy" by using ground turkey and replacing half the noodles with extra vegetables - finely chopped cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and green onions. My husband said he loved the extra vegetables when they were minced like that. How cool is that? People actually loving their vegetables!

This is not a very good pic (bad lighting I think) but it's the stir fried turkey and minced vegetables being combined in the wok before the noodles and ginger sauce went in. Sadly, I forgot to take another pic when the dish was complete because I got distracted.
    tuwj41ih8vs4.jpg

@MissionEnforcer
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member

@Cindyk4919 don't focus on what others are doing. You are doing a great job, keep it up. Not everyone has the time to put in 2 hours per day, I know I certainly don't! I feel like we are still contributing quite fine!! These people that average more than three hours a day may be retired or work part time or maybe they don't have kids to cart around to sports. So many reason, but please don't compare yourself to others! It's absolutely great that we have people on our team that can pick up some slack. Don't underestimate yourself....you're doing AWESOME!!!!!!!
  • Cindyk4919
    Challenge #3
    I love the food challenge! I'm an adventurous cook, so this got me thinking outside of the box. -How can I use one of these spices in a manner that is new to me?
    Every week I cook up a largg7batch of oatmeal plus. It is a combination of oatmeal, quinoa, flax and hemp seed. During the week, I refry it adding sweet or savory ingredients. My go to is spinach and Swiss cheese. So let's shake it up a little Caribbean style.
    8iboogrltjwk.jpg
    006cl7tb4qwd.jpg
    euwabbjue5rs.jpg
    This week I had also made up some carrot pineapple pomegranate slaw, that I was using as salad toppings. So how would it taste to add a healthy dollop of ground ginger to about a half cup of carrot slaw and add that to my fried oatmeal; The answer is delicious and amazing! Pomegranates, pineapple and ginger really go together well.
  • Cindyk4919

@Cindyk4919 don't focus on what others are doing. You are doing a great job, keep it up. Not everyone has the time to put in 2 hours per day, I know I certainly don't! I feel like we are still contributing quite fine!! These people that average more than three hours a day may be retired or work part time or maybe they don't have kids to cart around to sports. So many reason, but please don't compare yourself to others! It's absolutely great that we have people on our team that can pick up some slack. Don't underestimate yourself....you're doing AWESOME!!!!!!!

I find that looking at what others are doing inspires me to "kick it up a notch" I'm setting a goal of finishing in the top 3/4 -at the 75th spot or above. Hoping this ankle will cooperate with my goal. :smiley:
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Challenge #1 done!

Challenge #3
    I chose thyme as my spice of choice.
    I added it to my scrambled eggs this morning along with red pepper flakes, cracked black pepper, and ham cubes.
    It was really good. It was a little bit of Thanksgiving for breakfast! :wink:
  • murdog3t
    murdog3t Posts: 2,033 Member
    Nutmeg is a popular spice that has a long list of associated health benefits, including its ability to relieve pain, soothe indigestion, strengthen cognitive function, detoxify the body, boost skin health, alleviate oral conditions, reduce insomnia, increase immune system function, and prevent leukemia, and improve ...47h1fv4idwo8.jpg

I choose to put nutmeg into my oatmeal for the above reasons
    @MissionEnforcer
  • jamaicanlady
    Forgot to add my minutes yesterday. Just added them and we are now in 3rd overall! Let's keep it going team! We are doing great!! We only have 1 week left after this one so let's aim to finish on a high! [Sorry for the shouting LOL, I'm just so excited]

I still haven't figured out what to make with the nutmeg yet. Most recipes I found were desserts which is not allowed. I looked up the carrot drink but it has sugar in it. Not sure if that would make it unhealthy and not qualify for the challenge. Plus I only allow myself to use sugar once a week in my porridge on Sundays. Hmm...still thinking on this one.

On another note, Thursday is my birthday and I totally forgot! :D My husband had to remind me last night. Anyway, it means that I will be having a HUGE cheat meal on Friday to celebrate. So I'm putting in EXTRA exercise this week to cover the HUGE surplus I'm planning for Friday.
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Enjoy your birthday splurge @jamaicanlady!

As for your nutmeg conundrum, I enjoy it putting it with apricot spread, ginger, pepper, and white wine vinegar to make a glaze for ham. So good!
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member

I find that looking at what others are doing inspires me to "kick it up a notch" I'm setting a goal of finishing in the top 3/4 -at the 75th spot or above. Hoping this ankle will cooperate with my goal. :smiley:

Understood! ;)
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Challenge 3
    I am currently enjoying my cup of ginger tea. I love tea no matter the weather but I love a cup of hot tea during the cold months. The ginger tea is just the right amount of spice along with a little bit of honey which helps to smooth the taste.
  • Soulfood77
    Soulfood77 Posts: 211 Member
    edited March 2017
    Challenge #3
    I used Thyme.
    I found a recipe online for cheese crackers with Thyme so I gave it a try! They were quite delicious - the thyme gave it a nice refreshing flavour and a beautiful smell.

Here is the recipe: (I substituted regular flour)

Cheese Thyme Crackers (gluten free / low carb)

Prep time
    5 mins
    Cook time
    15 mins
    Total time
    20 mins

Author: Sugar Free Londoner
    Yields: 8 crackers
    Ingredients
    3 tbsp coconut flour
    2 tbsp butter, melted
    ½ cup (50g) strong cheddar, grated
    ¼ cup (25g) parmesan, grated
    1 egg
    thyme leaves
    Method
    Pre-heat your oven to 180 Celsius
    Mix the coconut flour, melted butter, egg and ¼ cup of the grated cheddar plus the ¼ cup of grated parmesan until well combined.
    Let the mix rest a few minutes
    Form 8 balls and place them on a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
    Press them with your hands into little flat discs and sprinkle the remaining cheddar on top. Decorate with thyme leaves or dried thyme
    Bake for ca 12-15 minutes until the edges are nicely browned
    Recipe by Sugar Free Londoner at http://sugarfreelondoner.com/cheese-thyme-crackers-low-carb/

5cldyhtvochr.jpg
    (I made some with garlic too!)

• Soulfood77
    Soulfood77 Posts: 211 Member
    @murdog3t Just a heads up your challenge 3 points are showing red.
  • jenilla1
    Soulfood77 wrote: »
    Challenge #3
    I used Thyme.
    I found a recipe online for cheese crackers with Thyme so I gave it a try! They were quite delicious - the thyme gave it a nice refreshing flavour and a beautiful smell...

Were they crispy or soft? They look like little savory cookies to me. Maybe I'll test them out later this week.
  • lbenson2006
    lbenson2006 Posts: 3,372 Member
    Challenge #3
    I love the food challenge! I'm an adventurous cook, so this got me thinking outside of the box. -How can I use one of these spices in a manner that is new to me?
    Every week I cook up a largg7batch of oatmeal plus. It is a combination of oatmeal, quinoa, flax and hemp seed. During the week, I refry it adding sweet or savory ingredients. My go to is spinach and Swiss cheese. So let's shake it up a little Caribbean style.
    8iboogrltjwk.jpg
    006cl7tb4qwd.jpg
    euwabbjue5rs.jpg
    This week I had also made up some carrot pineapple pomegranate slaw, that I was using as salad toppings. So how would it taste to add a healthy dollop of ground ginger to about a half cup of carrot slaw and add that to my fried oatmeal; The answer is delicious and amazing! Pomegranates, pineapple and ginger really go together well.

That slaw sounds delicious. Can you share the recipe...if it's easy to make...lol.