New To EM2WL? Introduce Yourself Here!

Replies

• empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Hi @Mikkimeow6
    Welcome to the group!
    Please read through the stickies at the top of the group as they are full of everything you need to know.
    If you have any questions about anything, please just ask.
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • Kylie
    Kylie Posts: 2 Member
    hi group, my names kylie, im 28 I've lost 2 stone (28lb) with slimming world (I live in the uk) I still have 3st 6lbs to lose (48lb) its taken me over 20months to lose it after having my second baba, so I figured I would try calorie counting as sw can be restrictive on some foods and this group sounds great to me, this week I've found it hard to find low cal foods to fill up my enormous appetite! I've gone over my 1200 allowance at least 3 days of this week (including exercise added) anyone is welcome to see my diaries......
    sorry long message, any help would be apreiciated

thanks k
    xxxxx xxxxx
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Hi @Kylie - this group is great! You won't meet any nasty campers here! That being said, the EM2WL approach does not support the Slimming World approach - 1200 calories is around the number we would eat by lunch! EM2WL is all about slow, habit based changes. And the first habit change is to build up your calories to match what your TDEE is - which at the moment on 1200 calories, you'd be probably around 500-1000 calories below! In fact, on that many calories, you would not be giving your body enough energy (calories =energy) to do all the magical stuff it does to keep us alive and healthy (you know, like breath, grow hair, rebuild muscle, digest, power up the thinking matter, etc). It's scary to think that Slimming World is recommending that you eat the number of calories that a 5 year old child needs to thrive!

Have a really good read of the Stickies at the top of the page, and chew over the difference in the approach. If you're willing to be braver and go against the SW way, we will support you 100%. We'll even support you if you try to combine the 2, but will let you know that it's not possible / won't work (I'm sure we've all tried it along the way!). All the best, enjoy your reading (and eating!!).
    Annette :smiley:
  • kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    Welcome Kylie! Read the pinned posts for getting started - that will help a lot! I also visited the EM2WL website and got more information and a really great TDEE calculator there.

Kelly
  • jwilds1010
    jwilds1010 Posts: 33 Member
    Hello everyone.
    I am 42 years old looking to lose 35lbs. I recently just had my RMR checked at the fitness center I belong to; my RMR is 1790; I guess I'm not sure what to do now with this new found information. I do know this is probably a good place to start so I'm looking for some advice on calories for weight loss. Thanks everyone, I'm excited to start my journey!

Jen.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I just can't eat that much! My TDEE is 2,364 calories and make it to 1,600 at most. I'm not losing weight yet despite that increased from 1,300-1,400. I feel very bloated and rather gained 1 pound. Should I keep going?

What is possible if you keep going.

http://skepchick.org/2014/02/the-female-athlete-triad-not-as-fun-as-it-sounds/
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    jwilds1010 wrote: »
    Hello everyone.
    I am 42 years old looking to lose 35lbs. I recently just had my RMR checked at the fitness center I belong to; my RMR is 1790; I guess I'm not sure what to do now with this new found information. I do know this is probably a good place to start so I'm looking for some advice on calories for weight loss. Thanks everyone, I'm excited to start my journey!

Jen.

You can use the TDEE calcs as rough guide, but if your RMR at 1790 is well above or below the estimated BMR based on gender, age, weight, height - then you need to adjust up or down correctly. That sounds high - so good job, base metabolism is probably just fine.

The multiplier most of the TDEE sites use is from a 1919 study that has been found to be outdated and improved by now - but they are 1.2, 1.375, 1.55, 1.725, and 1.9.

Even MFP with non-exercise but only daily activity choices, uses sedentary 1.25, Lightly Active 1.4, Active 1.6, Very Active 1.8 - all based on more recent research.
  • FatGirlAtHeart84
    FatGirlAtHeart84 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi, I'm Penny and I want to lose weight to be healthier.
  • JosieV1973
    JosieV1973 Posts: 10 Member
    Hello, My name is Josie, just wanted to try something new, would like to see how eating more can help me lose weight. I need to lose about 20lbs.........ugh, it's so hard!
  • kcmsmith0405
    Welcome Penny and Josie!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Welcome to the group @FatGirlAtHeart84 @JosieV1973
    You will find a lot of questions can be answered by reading through our thread on START HERE. This contains all the information you need to begin EM2WL. Feel free to ask questions as you go through it!

Kelly
    Team EM2WL
  • Nezmona
    Nezmona Posts: 3 Member
    Hi, group! My name is Margarita and I finally decided to commit to this. I have a feeling I'll ramble:)

I wouldn’t call myself serial dieter, at least, not anymore. Certainly, I had my fair share of super restrictive 1000-1200 kcal per day diets, but not since my very early twenties (which was a good decade ago).

I’m here, because I desperately need change. I have always been on a heavier side, but in the last ten years or so, I turned from “heavyset” and “curvy” to plain old “overweight” and later - the dreaded “obese” (my current weight is 231). I work from home, my job is sedentery, I became more and more inactive all the while stuffing my face with junk food (esp at night). So, here we are. Couple of weeks ago I started (again, after quite some time) tracking my food on MFP, aiming for around 1600-1700 kcal per day, because I know from my experience (and logic, and science, and intuition…) that super restrictive diets don’t work and can even be harmful, so, I’ll be smart, right? (WRONG - now I know that even my BMR is 1825, so I was way undereating) During this time I had this intense inner dialog with myself when logging food, when analyzing labels at the store, when eating... So, yeah, I gave myself “way more” calories than the usual female dieter, but is is enough? I know I can lose weight with this amount of energy per day, because I have done it before, but here I am, at the starting point again, so is it effective? This amount of food seems reasonable for a certain time frame, but am I willing to make this my permanent reality and always restrict myself? If not, do I want all the lost weight back?

So, here I am. I have been lurking, reading different threads, got my numbers from the calculator, dived into EM2WL website and book, and upped my calories (not quite at my TDEE of 2510, but 10-15% less - I chose “light” for my level of activity, even though I spend all my days on my *kitten* in front of my computer). Feels strange to be on a “health plan” that doesn’t feel like one. So my first goal is get the hang of all things food (figure out my calories, find ways to up protein and fiber, let go of my dreams of fast and impressive scale victories…), and then look into adding the fitness part.

You guys seem like a truly great bunch of genuine humans. Very happy to be a tiny part of all of this…
  • kcmsmith0405
    Welcome Margarita - Sounds like you are doing great so far :D Glad to have another posted to read!
  • Sonnibunnies
    Sonnibunnies Posts: 2 Member
    Happy Saturday afternoon all! My name is Sonni (sunny). At 42, I decided that eating right and exercise was the best thing for me if I'm going to live a long, healthy life. I'm using MFP to track my calorie intake and exercise. I changed my (cooking) oils years ago, and decided that within the next few years, I will spend about a year completely vegan. I'm slowly working towards my goal. I love the way I feel now after a meal. This is a complete lifestyle overhaul! I wish everyone the best in meeting goals and anyone that can give me some advice or help I gladly accept :) Sonni
  • Raynn1
    welcome to the group @Nezmona
    It sounds like you are on the right path to a healthier, diet free you:)
    Keep working your way up to TDEE, and work on your macros, especially protein. This will help fill you up more and it naturally will help align your macros in the right way. Please make sure to read through our stickies at the top of the discussions page and feel free to ask any questions!

Welcome to the group @Sonnibunnies
    May I ask why you plan to only eat Vegan for a year? Is there any reason for it? Are you hoping being a vegan for a year will allow you to ease into veganism for life? If so, then speaking with our @empressichel is definitely the one for you:)
    Make sure you read through our stickies so you have an understanding of what EM2WL is all about:)

Kelly
    Team EM2WL
  • empressichel
    @Sonnibunnies
    Hey! Yes, long time vegan here!
    If you need any help transitioning or protein help, just give me a shout! I'll send you a FR!
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    I'm 5'2" (an extra 1/2 inch on good days) and currently weighing in at 155 lbs. Goal is 130, but I'd settle for something in the 135-140 range. They say I'm on the "larger side of medium" frame & I have a pretty muscular build. Years ago, I was 137 and 22% body fat... gone downhill since then, but that's a good reference point for healthy goals.

I'm a very active person & I enjoy food, plus I don't want to wreck my metabolism by slashing calories too aggressively. I love the idea of eating more, even if my loss is a bit slower.

Would love some other friends with similar goals - please friend me if you would like to keep in touch on newsfeed too!
  • empressichel
    Hi and welcome
    Will send you over a FR!
    Have you used our calculator to see where your starting point should be?
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-calculator/
    Look forward to any updates or questions you have.
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • JanikaRall
    JanikaRall Posts: 1 Member
    Hello, I'm Janika I'm looking to lose weight. I'm on a 1800 cal diet and try to exercise every day I lose 19lbs. than my body is like "YEAH NO, SORRY" and I pack on 20lbs. Just looking for support and any suggestions.
  • Raynn1
    welcome to the group @JanikaRall
    The stickies at the top of the community page Under START HERE is the best place to begin. That will give you a good amount of information about what this group is about. Then feel free to ask any questions!

Kelly
    Team EM2WL