Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Upper body day at gym on the location closer to apartment where I usually do lower body. Can be hard to get a bench there with the 3 flat and couple incline and a decline. This time, I managed okay with just a little waiting. However, lesson learned. When doing upper body near 1 rep max, just pre-workout isn't enough. Failed on bench but oh well. Wasn't an increase either, just doing same as last week but was mid-day, just before noon, and hadn't eaten. Next week, we'll see if I can do better.

Bench - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 75, 1x6 @ 95 and 1x1 @ 115 with failed 2nd rep attempt, then 1x4 @ 105
    close grip bench - 1x8 @ 45, 2x6 @ 75
    db decline bench - 3x10 @ 20

The fail wasn't too bad. Just couldn't push it up so settled it down then moved the bar to my stomach as I sat up before picking it up and putting it on the ground. Took me like 15 seconds to handle so didn't even need help though people were around. Having failed a few times over the year makes it pretty easy to do. Then I did the db decline to try it out since some decline benches with the bar don't adjust and I'm short so it's a struggle since don't have anyone to help unrack the bar. It went okay with db but went lighter. Still awkward in getting set up just getting on the bench but managed.

Now to get ready and go to work at the other store. Will be interesting to see how it is since the one who transferred from ours to help manage it said it was a challenge (nicer way of putting it).
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Finished the last workout B in Stage 3, so I'm officially done with that stage! I agree, I didn't care much for the YTWL - I only progressed from 3 lbs to 5 lbs, and even then it was still really really difficult. Stage 4 is a repeat of stage 2, so that will be nice not having to learn new moves. Just not looking forward to the million kinds of lunges again LOL. Ended up having a super binge day yesterday - I was really hungover. Waiting to take measurements for a couple days because I know I'm bloated from all the sodium!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Aubrey - Congrats on finishing. There are just some lifts that don't see much weight progression even over many months. I'm still doing lower weights on side lat raises, for example. And if I did those ytwl things again, wouldn't be all that heavy either. Ah, yes, the lunges... good luck with that. Good idea to wait on the measuring.

No gym for the weekend. Not sure when I'll lift this week as the parents are in town. Mom and stepdad are visiting so probably not going to be at cutting calories either. Pretty much calling this cut a fail. Will have to revamp and come at it again for summer.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Aubrey - I don't even know what a YTWL is! Lunges are painful but such a good workout.

Dawn - have fun with your parents!

Ran on Saturday since it was supposed to rain like crazy all day Sunday. 6.1 miles.

Yesterday did an interesting session
    Squats - 6x1@110 lbs
    Bench press - 3x2@68 lbs
    Deadlifts - 2x3@136 lbs
    Eccentric chin ups - 6x1
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Hypertrophy Day
    Squat - 3x8@95 lbs
    Bench - 2x5@30 kg, 2x4@30 kg
    DB rear delt - 3x12@7.5 lbs
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Not much happening in here lately.... guess we are all busy with life!

I've been training but up against it with crazy work hours and uni deadlines. Nearly done with uni for this semester though thankfully.

My back continues to prove problematic and physio has said no DLs until it's stopped flaring up. I am hopeful that next week will be better. I'm on a deload week anyway so not getting too stressed about it.

My ex hubby is moving out next weekend which brings its own challenges both logistically and emotionally. But taking steps forward
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    I had almost a week off from the gym while the parents visited. It was nice to spend time with mom and stepdad but didn't get much else done during that time. Shopping, eating and some walking around was about it. I was somewhat reserved though didn't try to be in a deficit or anything. Weight is up from the treats I did have but oh well. Worth it to have fun for a few days.

Today went to the gym after working at my secondary store. Thought I'd see how bench would go since have definitely been better fueled lately. I had leftovers for lunch from our Mother's day brunch plus had eating breakfast at the hotel to get the last bit of time I could with my family. But even then the bench was a struggle. I decided to try for 120 even though last week had the fail on rep 2 at 115. Had a similar result.

bench - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 75, 1x6 @ 95, 1x3 @ 105 and 1x1 @ 120 failed on attempt at 2nd rep
    close grip bench - 1x8 @ 45 and 2x6 slight pause @ 70
    dry sauna
    25 minutes on elliptical

So, just like last week had a fail trying to get the second rep. I didn't feel overly shaky or anything and since the first rep was heavy but okay thought I'd try the 2nd but no. With bench it's either fine or nope, can't push it up. Not able to grind out when it comes to this lift.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Made it to the gym today before work. I was going to go yesterday but then had a rough day for no reason. It was my day off but just felt exhausted. We went to Panera for the write group and I didn't get coffee but had a bagel. But spent the whole time trying to feel more awake so left early. Spent the day just resting, napping and not doing anything. Still slept most of the night and didn't even want to get up this morning. Stayed in bed pretty late but since I work afternoon got to the gym before noon.

Also, got to try c4 that I got samples of for reviewing. The cherry limeade was pretty good and helped since I still was rather low on energy. It also is very hot so was sweaty in the gym and had some minor grip troubles till used chalk on last set.

elliptical for 10 minutes to warm up
    deadlift - 2x8 @ 135, 1x6 @ 185, with belt 1x5 @ 205, 1x3 @ 235
    chalk - 1x1 165 !
    pendlay rows with straps 1x5 @ 105 and 2x5 @ 95

I finally did it. Got the 265. Though it's not 2xbw yet as my weight is up still from the vacation. Maybe next weekend I'll see where bw is and try again to see if I can do it more than once. Depends how the week goes. Meandering a bit and will move to the upper/lower in June as I do a hopefully more successful cut.
  • aubreyjordan
    Options
    Hello all! I am having trouble with the Front Squat to Push Press this time around. In Stage 2 I started with a 20 lb barbell (the Olympic bar is too heavy by itself). I was able to progress to a 30 lb barbell. I did 4 A2 today, and could not go to 40 lbs and the 30 lbs hurt my wrists. I couldn't even finish a second set :( Also couldn't finish the rear foot elevated lunges due to soreness and pain in my quads. A bit frustrated, as I faced the same thing in Stage 2 (I must not have good lunge form).

I feel like I'm hitting a burn out. This is honestly the longest I've stuck to a program. I have taken a week off every 6 weeks or so. Last week I had about 4 days off due to other obligations. I'm due for my next week off when I finish Stage 4. Maybe it's the end of the school year (only 6 school days left for me!) but I am just not doing as well as I'd like. I was up to a 90 second plank in Stage 3, and I barely hit 75 seconds today (supposed to be up to 120 seconds).

Thanks for letting me share my frustrations. You all are killing it!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Aubrey - Hi there. The front squat was a challenge for me and I did NROLFW after Stronglifts, which had overhead press as a main lift. I have wrist/hand issues so even now there are some days where I just can't really get a good front squat, though I haven't tried doing a front squat push press since NROLFW. I tend to keep them separate but maybe I'll try a clean to front squat soon. Anyways, sometimes it can be hard to progress so we end up having to take a step back and work the weights up again. Keep working on it and you'll get there. It can be hard to stick to one program for a long time but you've made it this far. End of school would affect me too.

Had morning shift. Not sure what is up with the SoCal weather cause it was chilly when parents were here, then had days of super hot and today was back to chilly in comparison. The switching back and forth seems to mess with our sleep cycles because both me and sister had a hard time sleeping last night. I had to be at work at 7 am too, which was blah. Wasn't sure I'd lifted but ended up doing it after work. Should have eaten more but oh well. Had maybe 700 calories for most of the day (mmm chocolate chip scone) and tried the c4 zero pink lemonade sample I received.

Since tomorrow is red nose day, I worked on heavy squats and filmed a rep while wearing the red nose. Depth was questionable, maybe hitting parallel at best but oh well. It was for fun and a good cause. Will be posting the youtube video tonight after I do the intro and get links for the charities that red nose day supports.

squat - 2x10 @ 45, 1x10 @ 95, 1x8 @ 135,
    with belt - 1x5 @ 175, 1x2 @ 195, 1x1 @ 215 with red nose, and attempted 220 but failed.
    front squats - 1x8 @ 45 and 2x8 @ 75

Glad I moved the safeties up a little for the 220 attempt. It didn't feel too bad but once was down it was a nope, not gonna be able to push up. Oh well. My goal is to get 230 some day. Just won't be this summer and that's okay. Afterwards, I spent time on the treadmill for a walk/run. Warmed up then did 20 minutes jogging followed by some walking for a total of 45 minutes spent on cardio.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Aubrey - is it the front squat or the press that's hard? Honestly, at that weight if you are having issues with the squat, it's going to be more about how you hold the bar than whether you are strong enough to lift it.

I used to struggle too until I read about positioning the bar properly. Particularly on women (as we tend to have smaller frames), the bar for a front squat will literally be sat against your neck if you have it right. We don't have massive pecs/ delts to rest it on. So, when you get in position, the bar should be touching your neck - and that'll feel weird at first. But that is when you are supporting the bar with your body, NOT your wrists.

My workouts are meh - still in deload phase due to the back injury flaring..... but it's all good. Squats that were once impossible are going ok. Skipping DLs makes me sad but hopefully will free up time to get chores done that have been waiting for EVER.

And uni is done for the semester. And the ex moves out tomorrow. Life is hopefully on the up!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Jo - yay for end of semester. It was always a relief to get that done. Hope things do move up for you.

Today was just bench attempt after work. Drove myself to the other store as sister had sleep troubles followed by a migraine, so couldn't drive me. Didn't want to spend too much time since sister was without car all day. Attempted 125 again on bench, which is what I did with a questionable pause last time they did the forum competition (but not this one in the misc forums). No go. Also tried 2 reps on 115 after cause felt fine and again, fail. So, I enjoyed a 2 time roll of shame gym session. Plus, dry sauna

Bench
    2x8 @ 45, 1x8 @ 75, 1x5 @ 95, 1x3 @ 105, Fail @ 125, 1x1 @ 115 then Fail
    15 minutes in dry sauna

That is it.
  • aubreyjordan
    Options
    Thank you for the tips on the front squat. I think I'm holding the bar wrong. It isn't touching my neck, so I'm probably trying to support too much with my wrists.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    No problem!

Today my number of days logged in matched my calorie goal - 1600!

Lol
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Gosh, where did everybody go?
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Ugh, I haven't been updating here. I've been making some good progress on my squat, though. I think I have a lot more in me in my deadlift but I need to get over my fear. Bench is poopy as usual.

This morning did:
    Back squat: 3x6@105 lbs
    Bench: 4x3@68 lbs
    Rear delt fly: 3x12@7.5 lbs

Was away over the weekend but still got in a nice run.

Deadlifts tomorrow!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,943 Member
    Options
    Just not doing much to write about.

I lift 2 x per week....I don't seem to want to get back to 3 x per week.

I cardio 2 x per week.

I yoga 1 x per week.

And I am ten pounds heavier than in my better days. :(
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    *waves hi*

Long week. No car all weekend so had to deal with getting uber/lyft rides to and from work. Stuck home all day Saturday, as that was my day off, and the internet decided not to work that day. I've worked a few days at a different store, including my day off so I only had the 1 for the week. Our work week is Thursday-Wednesday, so my next day off is Sunday as he changed my schedule a bit and I now have to work on Saturday night. May end up at other store again, who knows for sure on that.

Since sister had internship today and I work afternoon, I finally went back to the gym after having a few days off as there isn't a gym near this third store. Just kept it light and considering some options as I transition into the upper/lower split.

lowbar squat 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 75 and 3x8 @ 95 - used a wider stance
    front squat 2x10 @ 45, 3x8 @ 75 - narrower stance comparatively
    curtsy lunge 1x8 @ 45 and 2x8 @ 65
    good morning 3x10 @ 75
    cable kickback 3x12 @ 22.5
    30 minute walk on treadmill, 25 @ 4 incline and 3 speed

Hadn't done the lunges in a long time so took a bit to adjust with that form. Low bar felt pretty good but was also a light weight. Think with the split will have one day focused on squats and the other will be deadlift. Will be starting cut soon and going to do bit lighter weight more reps, or well maybe stick to moderate ranges with a few more sets cause I don't like getting above 12 when it comes to reps. We'll see as I work it out. Going to try and plan meals better too but might now start until Sunday, once I get a day off from work.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Went to gym for random upper body day. Didn't have to go to work since they had to give me a day off so that I don't work 7 days in a row as that's really frowned upon. Was nice cause have plans for tonight that work out even better with this being a day off and I was getting tired.

Tried out the last of the c4 preworkout samples too and have lots of video clips to work on for my channel. Did upper body and cardio, with a lift that might be familiar from some since I got it from NROLFW. ;-) I also forgot my notebook and phone so am going based off memory hours later, oops.

bench - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 65 and 3x8 @ 75 - worked on doing it with a flat foot. Helps that had the running shoes on instead of my squat/flat shoes.
    close grip bench - 1x6 @ 45 and 4x6 @ 55
    one arm db snatch - 3x5 @ 27.5
    dumbell curl - 3x6 @ 20
    tried a couple different equipment options for abs

Have a new prep/cut starting and going to be doing a sort of upper/lower split. More of a squat day, deadlift day and two upper body with one day for a longer run. Have some goals for summer but will talk about that later. Need to get some stuff done online before go get sister then tonight I'm going out. Finally! Have some coworkers who are meeting up at Buffalo Wild Wings, one of which who is moving back to his home country and we'll sadly never see again. So, I'm looking forward to going out, having a couple of drinks and just having some fun before I buckle down for this pre-vacation prep.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    The weekend was fun. Or, I mean Friday night was fun. I worked Saturday. Buffalo wild wings was a good time though even if the food is only meh. Had an interesting drink that was Guinness layered on top of angry orchard. Also ended up taking a couple of tequila shots. Not a low calorie night but was well worth it with my coworkers as we all had a great time chilling outside of the store together. I felt fine the next morning and had to work in a different store for the afternoon last night.

Made it to the gym today earlier since I don't have work until 3pm and didn't need to spend hours near the store since sister doesn't have her internship on the weekend.

Deadlift focus
    10 minutes on elliptical for warm up
    deadlift (conventional and sumo) 2x8 @ 115, 2x8 @ 135, 4x6 @ 165
    clean 1x8 @ 45 and 3x6 @ 65
    pendlay row with straps 3x5 @ 95