Sandy's OMAD Journal

Options

Replies

• barbheart
    barbheart Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Sandy I am sure you will do great you have walked a long path and have a great set of strategies thanks to OMAD and what you did in the past-..so best of lucks in this new chapter of the journey I am sure you will fine tune your choices to get to those new goals!...

And hurrey for the smoking audio book!!! I can´t wait to hear your proclamation of being a happy non smoker and start ripping those healthy benefits!!!! hurrey!

Much love
    B
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    So good about the quitting smoking, Sandy. That going to make a massive difference for probably every health marker you can think of!!!

Plus - think of all the cash you'll be saving to buy new, smaller clothes (and shoes, because obviously you'll need new shoes to go with the new outfits)! Win-win...
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Good for you, No more smoking :)<3<3<3
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Hey everyone, thanks for being so awesome and supportive. I'm still a non-smoker, but I went off the deep end with eating. Getting back on track is hard. I don't miss the cigs so much as some weird things happened afterwards... had too many margaritas at son in laws bday party. I really didn't eat too much, but drank a lot of the good stuff. Woke next day with a hangover from hell and an empty feeling in my tummy and the Folgers coffee I'd been enjoying straight black with cinnamon, tasted like major *kitten*! So I was a zombie all day yesterday, tired, eating mindlessly. Woke today five pounds heavier than Friday, Folgers still tastes like *kitten*--think it is due to newfound tastebuds, lol. I did go for a nice two mile walk and that helped me feel better, and I've done better with food today. I think tomorrow I'll be normal again. Went and tried some house blend coffee from a local coffee shop and it's amazing, bought some of it ground to bring home, no cinnamon needed! Woohoo!

I honestly don't miss the cigs, but I spent a lot of time smoking and I think that's the part I'm having trouble with now. As bummed as I am about the weight, I'm happy I have quit. It's actually probably a great thing that I've quit while in the process of losing weight, even if it makes things rough for a bit. I have a great feeling about the rest of the day and tomorrow though. I will be back on track :)
  • x3nomorph
    x3nomorph Posts: 174 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    nicotine is an appetite suppressant so is normal when you are off of it you'll be hungry af, don't sweat it if you gain some weight back, just focus your effort on quitting smoking for good, that will give you the most health gains then when you are out of the woods you can go hard at weight loss, one demon at a time haha
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    So it's pretty impressive that you were able to drink without smoking - so you could look at that as a major plus!

I hate that horrible hangover feeling where you almost have to eat all-the-carbs because otherwise there is a high possibility that you will die. That was me the week before last...

I think you definitely have to give yourself a break to get adjusted to not smoking - your body is probably freaking out right now (in a good way)...

You'll drop those pounds quickly - they are surely just water weight from the hangover eating...
  • Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    You will get through it, great job!!!
  • barbheart
    Options
    Sandy
    CONGRATULATIONSSSSSSSSSSSSS you did it!!! wow hurrey!!!!

Smokers do eat less an when they quit they tend to compensate with food or as you chose, drinks for that particular time... Its a question of adaptation ... give your self time to settle in and you will do it!

I did put up 10 kilos after quitting which I never dropped fully back until I did weight watchers ... but then back on, then off, then paleo diet dropped but gained etc yoyo...

If you choose walking instead of food as your compensator for not smoking maybe it will work fantastic and you will reach your two goals in a single shot so as to speak?

Best of lucks!!!
  • barbheart
    Options
    Sandy have you tried potato starch? Red Mill´s I am finding it awesome as appetite supressant besides its benefits as prebiotic... I have it after I finish my omad 2 tea spons filled up in a glass of water..
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on sticking to the good fight, Sandy!
    As I mentioned in someone else's thread, our willpower is finite, and I am sure it takes LOADS to quit an established smoking habit. So try to be kind to yourself as you adjust with the hope that once non-smoking has become automated, falling back in line with other goals will be much easier.
  • wsandy8512
    Options
    I've survived three full days without cigs now, woot! I honestly haven't desired to have one since putting the last one out Sunday afternoon. Here's where I am at so far:

1. Still clinging to the early into the week weight gain, but at least I haven't gained more. haha. That's a good sign to me that I'm getting control back. Quitting smoking is more important than my weight at this time and I am not going to beat myself up over gaining a few pounds while trying to find balance. I am not using smoking aids or tricks not to smoke like chomping gum or candies, chewing on toothpicks, etc. I decided I don't want to replace one habit with another unless it's good, or neither good nor bad. :-)

2. Sleep is absolutely horrible after quitting smoking. I know this is temporary, but it sucks so bad. Nothing is working, not white noise, magnesium, melatonin, advil pm, breathing exercises, nothing! I wake or lie there just thinking of nothing of any importance. We are talking random stuff here like remembering me and my sis watching Bugs Bunny cartoons as kids. lol Anyhoo, hope this ends soon because it's maddening. I do feel good this morning and not in a zombie-like state, so that's a plus! :-)

3. I've really noticed how much better my breathing has gotten! No more coughing with deep inhales, and my breathing while exercising has gotten way easier. It's just awesome! Woohoo!

4. Sense of smell has greatly improved. This has it's good and not so good sides--Great with food and flowers and nature, awful when you can smell bad breath on people you didn't realize had bad breath. lol

I will be trying to get back into OMAD over the next few days. I credit OMAD with helping me overcome all kinds of problem eating, including stress eating. I think it's the overall feeling of fullness (not like Thanksgiving coma full, lol, though I have those days sometimes), and it creates a desire in me not to pick at food all day long--probably because I'm not thinking about food all day long. haha
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    Options
    Yay, Sandy! So happy for you!
    I'm sorry to read about some of the struggles with quitting, but you are strong and you're doing it! I know that must feel amazing, and I'm sure the benefits are really making it worthwhile.
    I'm an insomniac, so I can completely relate to crappy sleep and its sometimes severe impacts on your day-to-day. I am sending all the positive vibes that your normal sleep schedule will return to normal very soon.
  • barbheart
    Options
    Sandy that is soooo brilliant!!!! well done what an inspiration you are!!!!!
    If you find yourself having troubles sleeping why dont you try practicing deep breathing?...
    Also... hold your thumb with the other hand... all fingers of your other hand over your thumb...hold it and breathe smiling for 10 min and then change to holding the other finger..this will help you with anxiety related to smoking.

When I quit smoking believe it or not I started singing mantras...I could not stop singing... I sung and sung this was a way of clearing my throat chakra an removing the old stuff..Not sure if you have any singing tune you like... if so go for it...

Another tip would be to wistle your favourite song as this uses your mouth just like smoking...
    When I was young and stressed I used to wistle vivaldi´s four seasons COMPLETELY...now that relaxed me!!!

Hope it helps although I know you dont need advice giving !!! you can do it!
  • barbheart
    Options
    Also finding the reason why you smoked might help... I realized I quit smoking easily after my father had to quit smoking forced by his poor health. I realized I had been smoking since my 15´s as a way to "smoke the pipe of peace" with him... once he quit, I could quit. There was a bond there. We smoked the same brand.

Maybe you find out your cause and collapse it or resolve it and then you can move on easier...
  • Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Great job on quitting smoking, and prioritizing your battles!! You've got this!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    You're doing great, I'm so proud of you <3:)
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    wsandy8512 wrote: »
    I've survived three full days without cigs now, woot! I honestly haven't desired to have one since putting the last one out Sunday afternoon. Here's where I am at so far:

1. Still clinging to the early into the week weight gain, but at least I haven't gained more. haha. That's a good sign to me that I'm getting control back. Quitting smoking is more important than my weight at this time and I am not going to beat myself up over gaining a few pounds while trying to find balance. I am not using smoking aids or tricks not to smoke like chomping gum or candies, chewing on toothpicks, etc. I decided I don't want to replace one habit with another unless it's good, or neither good nor bad. :-)

2. Sleep is absolutely horrible after quitting smoking. I know this is temporary, but it sucks so bad. Nothing is working, not white noise, magnesium, melatonin, advil pm, breathing exercises, nothing! I wake or lie there just thinking of nothing of any importance. We are talking random stuff here like remembering me and my sis watching Bugs Bunny cartoons as kids. lol Anyhoo, hope this ends soon because it's maddening. I do feel good this morning and not in a zombie-like state, so that's a plus! :-)

3. I've really noticed how much better my breathing has gotten! No more coughing with deep inhales, and my breathing while exercising has gotten way easier. It's just awesome! Woohoo!

4. Sense of smell has greatly improved. This has it's good and not so good sides--Great with food and flowers and nature, awful when you can smell bad breath on people you didn't realize had bad breath. lol

I will be trying to get back into OMAD over the next few days. I credit OMAD with helping me overcome all kinds of problem eating, including stress eating. I think it's the overall feeling of fullness (not like Thanksgiving coma full, lol, though I have those days sometimes), and it creates a desire in me not to pick at food all day long--probably because I'm not thinking about food all day long. haha

AMAZING JOB BABE! This is one I can't even imagining taking on so I'M SO PROUD OF YOU!
  • x3nomorph
    x3nomorph Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    amazing what the fear of disease and a slow painful death can do for willpower :D

keep it up girl haha
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    You're doing amazing and are a real
    Inspiration to me! I plan to quit cold turkey soon.
  • wsandy8512
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your support, it means a lot to me!!! All of you are awesome. :) couldn't ask for a more supportive group to be a part of. :)

Mmmmmmmmwahhhhhh!!!