brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    Nice loss, Jason!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    You got this!!!
  • Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    I posted this in the workout thread as well:

Here are a couple of thoughts I have had while in this group, concerning OMAD and exercise; I was leery on whether or not to share them, but here it goes. Most in this group are trying to drop weight (a few are maintaining) and that is a great goal. I also assume that another goal we all share is to look good, and that is where my concern comes in. It is recommended to limit exercise while on OMAD, the less exercise, the faster the weight comes off. By doing this, you will lose the weight, by having a decrease in both Body Fat (BF) and Lean Muscle Mass (LMM), with an end result of being at a goal weight, with a BF% that is the same as the larger version of ourselves. The traits that we are after to look good (muscle definition, toned, visible abs) come from a lower BF%, not from being skinny. So I always recommend a strength training program with any weight loss program. This will ensure that the maximum amount of LMM is preserved (you will lose some) during the weight loss. You cannot build muscle in a calorie deficit, the goal of strength training is to not to add muscle, but to try not to lose as much muscle. It may (big may in my opinion) slow down your weight loss, but the end result of a leaner body will be worth it. Common fears are "I don't want to bulk up"; you won't, no one accidently gets bulky, it is a deliberate process involving eating at a calorie surplus. I am a Certified Personal Trainer and would love to help anyone who wants more info on a program for them, just shoot me a message. If you don't agree, no sweat, continue OMAD and loosing weight, you are all doing great and motivating me on a daily basis!!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    People will lose muscle the way they are doing OMAD (if protein consumption isn't kept up) but not at the same proportion as their body fat so the %BF will improve and we won't become a smaller version of us. If I lose 20lbs of fat and my starting %BF was 25%, I would have to lose 5-lbs of muscle which isn't going to happen to stay at the same %bf. I may lose 2-lbs but I'm pretty sure I won't lose 5. I did lose about 5-lbs of muscle or so when I started the diet (by in-body measurements) then started lifting and also making sure I got my protein in. After a couple of months, I gained it all back (by in-body measurements). I'm not so sure you can't gain in a deficit. Lean gains has selective deficit days to promote muscle growth and lose at the same time.

Having said all that, I've always tried to exercise cause I like it and I would like to maintain as much muscle as possible. So I understand the concern and partially agree with you but partially disagree. I do think initially it will slow down weight loss, but after a couple of months, I think it can help speed up weight loss.
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    When you guys talk about %BF what method do you use or recommend?
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    From my latest understanding about fasting from reading a few books, one of which is the Complete Guide to Fasting, fasting isn't the same as a caloric deficit. Around the 18 hour mark of fasting, the human growth hormone kicks in and stays for two days and that actually helps retain and build muscle. However, there are conflicting views so I honestly don't know. But, I do know that there are a lot of IF body builders, and that's both professional and your average person just wanting to put on lean muscle mass, who do so via intermittent fasting including OMAD. They're all over YouTube, blogs, etc.

I enjoy working out but have lightened up a lot on my cardio. I do 2-3 HIIT strength training workouts a week and feel awesome. :)
  • Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    jvcinv wrote: »
    When you guys talk about %BF what method do you use or recommend?
    Since I was career Army I still use this:
    http://www.calculator.net/army-body-fat-calculator.html
    Although I have heard BF Calipers are more accurate.
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    wsandy8512 wrote: »
    From my latest understanding about fasting from reading a few books, one of which is the Complete Guide to Fasting, fasting isn't the same as a caloric deficit. Around the 18 hour mark of fasting, the human growth hormone kicks in and stays for two days and that actually helps retain and build muscle. However, there are conflicting views so I honestly don't know. But, I do know that there are a lot of IF body builders, and that's both professional and your average person just wanting to put on lean muscle mass, who do so via intermittent fasting including OMAD. They're all over YouTube, blogs, etc.

I enjoy working out but have lightened up a lot on my cardio. I do 2-3 HIIT strength training workouts a week and feel awesome. :)

Yeah I'm just about done listening to the podcast with the guy who wrote the complete guide to fasting and it's fascinating! It's amazing the way your body responds to fasting differently than caloric restriction, definitely something to keep in mind. From a logical perspective it makes sense so I'm going to go with that's the case for now ;)
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member

Yeah I'm just about done listening to the podcast with the guy who wrote the complete guide to fasting and it's fascinating! It's amazing the way your body responds to fasting differently than caloric restriction, definitely something to keep in mind. From a logical perspective it makes sense so I'm going to go with that's the case for now ;)
    I tried to listen to that Jimmy Moore guy yesterday and I won't be listening to anything with him talking any more!! For some reason I found him INCREDIBLY annoying and couldn't listen to a full episode. I'm such a b1tch!! Plus there were so many ads and they were trying to sell supplements and stuff. Um hello - this is fasting - why are you trying to sell me some shake??? Kind of disappointing because I'm getting into listening to podcasts while walking (after the Gin Stephens ones, which I thoroughly enjoyed). Need to find some others... Anyway, just me and my low tolerance level!!

I do agree that from a logical perspective it all makes sense and I'm going with it for now too!!
  • minigrrll
    Unless you are talking about Jason Fung (the doctor)? Does he have a podcast?
  • blambo61
    blambo61 wrote: »
    People will lose muscle the way they are doing OMAD (if protein consumption isn't kept up) but not at the same proportion as their body fat so the %BF will improve and we won't become a smaller version of us. If I lose 20lbs of fat and my starting %BF was 25%, I would have to lose 5-lbs of muscle which isn't going to happen to stay at the same %bf. I may lose 2-lbs but I'm pretty sure I won't lose 5. I did lose about 5-lbs of muscle or so when I started the diet (by in-body measurements) then started lifting and also making sure I got my protein in. After a couple of months, I gained it all back (by in-body measurements). I'm not so sure you can't gain in a deficit. Lean gains has selective deficit days to promote muscle growth and lose at the same time.

Having said all that, I've always tried to exercise cause I like it and I would like to maintain as much muscle as possible. So I understand the concern and partially agree with you but partially disagree. I do think initially it will slow down weight loss, but after a couple of months, I think it can help speed up weight loss.

My example was wrong:

If I'm 25% BF for (1 out of 5 lbs of me is fat). I would have to lose 4-lbs of lean body mass for every lb of fat lost to maintain 25% BF. That isn't going to happen. Muscle will be lost but %BF will still improve.

If I'm 200lbs and 50% BF (100lbs lean body mass and 100-lbs fat) and I lose 60-lbs of fat and even 20lbs of muscle, I would end up weighing 120lbs with 40-lbs being fat and would be at 33% bf. That is an improvement in %BF but was a significant muscle loss. I concur, we don't want to lose muscle, but if it happens, it won't be as bad as what you stated. Watch the protein and lift and I think there will not be a lot of muscle lost.
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    minigrrll wrote: »

I tried to listen to that Jimmy Moore guy yesterday and I won't be listening to anything with him talking any more!! For some reason I found him INCREDIBLY annoying and couldn't listen to a full episode. I'm such a b1tch!! Plus there were so many ads and they were trying to sell supplements and stuff. Um hello - this is fasting - why are you trying to sell me some shake??? Kind of disappointing because I'm getting into listening to podcasts while walking (after the Gin Stephens ones, which I thoroughly enjoyed). Need to find some others... Anyway, just me and my low tolerance level!!

I do agree that from a logical perspective it all makes sense and I'm going with it for now too!!

I haven't listened to the Complete Guide to Fasting podcasts because I prefer Dr Fung over Moore's keto-leaniningness. I didn't tolerate it well in the book and I hate ads in podcasts, especially supplements. Hell, even in the book it's said several times about one of the best things about fasting is that it's free and you really don't need to worry about supplements except for extended fasts. They even wrote about the man who fasted 362 days and said he only took a multivitamin and was fine. Lol
  • blambo61

I haven't listened to the Complete Guide to Fasting podcasts because I prefer Dr Fung over Moore's keto-leaniningness. I didn't tolerate it well in the book and I hate ads in podcasts, especially supplements. Hell, even in the book it's said several times about one of the best things about fasting is that it's free and you really don't need to worry about supplements except for extended fasts. They even wrote about the man who fasted 362 days and said he only took a multivitamin and was fine. Lol

I guarantee that guy lost a lot of muscle though.
  • minigrrll
    edited July 2017

That's exactly what I was thinking when he started pushing the supplements!!! And totally agree about Dr Fung over Jimmy Moore. I know it sounds really bad and judgy, but the guy is still significantly overweight (afaik)!

Plus I found his style in the podcasts annoying - he was always trying to make jokes or something and they just didn't work (for me at any rate - maybe just the wrong sense of humour!). He was what I'd call cringeworthy!
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    edited July 2017
    That's exactly what I was thinking when he started pushing the supplements!!! And totally agree about Dr Fung over Jimmy Moore. I know it sounds really bad and judgy, but the guy is still significantly overweight (afaik)!

Plus I found his style in the podcasts annoying - he was always trying to make jokes or something and they just didn't work (for me at any rate - maybe just the wrong sense of humour!). He was what I'd call cringeworthy!
    I had the same reaction to Moore, very cringeworthy.
    Dr. Fung used to be a fairly frequent guest on the show up until a couple months back when he tweeted that he would not longer appear on the podcast or have anything to do with Jimmy Moore. There is something shady about that guy.

• minigrrll
    jvcinv wrote: »

I had the same reaction to Moore, very cringeworthy.
    Dr. Fung used to be a fairly frequent guest on the show up until a couple months back when he tweeted that he would not longer appear on the podcast or have anything to do with Jimmy Moore. There is something shady about that guy.

Oh, very interesting. Agreed - definitely something shady... Actually just did a google search on him and it was all quite revealing! I have a very hard time trusting people pushing any therapy, diet, alternative healing etc., when it is so clear that they are making a fair bit of cash from selling supplements, products etc. For some reason that doesn't extend to people selling books - maybe because you buy the book and that's it, there is no further outlay... Of course, as soon as they start selling stuff in the book or appendix - big red flag!