Sandy's OMAD Journal

Options

Replies

• wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    That meal looks scrump-dilly-icious. I am on the same wavelength as you Sandy in keeping the carbs below 100.

Thanks, Tracey. I sure wish I had your knack for creative cooking, it would be much easier. lol

• jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Fantastic meal, I don't know how you all have the time and patience to make such creations. Mine are so boring.

Sandy I ran into the same situation with waist size / weight. I set my goal based on what I remembered from many years ago. Now that I'm very nearing that weight goal my waist is not anywhere near as close. In my case the effects of aging I guess. That is why once I hit my weight goal my next goal will be based on inches and fitness metrics
  • wsandy8512
    edited August 2017
    Options
    jvcinv wrote: »
    Fantastic meal, I don't know how you all have the time and patience to make such creations. Mine are so boring.

Thanks, Jim. It honestly took only about 20 minutes, I'm a well done meat kind of gal. I just threw the mushrooms and onions in with the meat and threw a ton of baby spinach on top when it was almost done. I made the dessert as soon as I put the meat in the pan. :-)
    Sandy I ran into the same situation with waist size / weight. I set my goal based on what I remembered from many years ago. Now that I'm very nearing that weight goal my waist is not anywhere near as close. In my case the effects of aging I guess. That is why once I hit my weight goal my next goal will be based on inches and fitness metrics

That's a great plan to have in place for when you reach your goal, Jim. I know my age, 47, has a bit to do with it, but after reading about stubborn abdominal fat and how it's a sign of insulin resistance, I decided I should try to do something about it now. Thing is, I eat healthy 85% of the time, even choosing whole grains over white processed stuff. I don't even eat a lot of whole grain, whole foods. This saddens me because I thought eating healthier--which I love doing, my body craves the good stuff--coupled with IF would take care of it on its own, but it's not. I hope sticking under 100 helps because the thought about not being able to enjoy fruits on the high side of glycemic index makes me super sad. :-(
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    wsandy8512 wrote: »
    Thanks, Tracey. I sure wish I had your knack for creative cooking, it would be much easier. lol

Well for the rest of the week it is going to be simple. I will be just doing salads for the rest of the week with my chocolate kale shake and wheatgrass juice. I perfected my salad recipe and without any dressing it comes out to be 703 calories, 49g carbs, 33g protein, 44g fat, 28g fiber.
  • wsandy8512
    Options

Well for the rest of the week it is going to be simple. I will be just doing salads for the rest of the week with my chocolate kale shake and wheatgrass juice. I perfected my salad recipe and without any dressing it comes out to be 703 calories, 49g carbs, 33g protein, 44g fat, 28g fiber.

***Heads back over to Tracey's thread to look at salad ingredients**lol :-)

• jvcinv
    Options

Thanks, Jim. It honestly took only about 20 minutes, I'm a well done meat kind of gal. I just threw the mushrooms and onions in with the meat and threw a ton of baby spinach on top when it was almost done. I made the dessert as soon as I put the meat in the pan. :-)

That's a great plan to have in place for when you reach your goal, Jim. I know my age, 47, has a bit to do with it, but after reading about stubborn abdominal fat and how it's a sign of insulin resistance, I decided I should try to do something about it now. Thing is, I eat healthy 85% of the time, even choosing whole grains over white processed stuff. I don't even eat a lot of whole grain, whole foods. This saddens me because I thought eating healthier--which I love doing, my body craves the good stuff--coupled with IF would take care of it on its own, but it's not. I hope sticking under 100 helps because the thought about not being able to enjoy fruits on the high side of glycemic index makes me super sad. :-(
    Oh I was massively insulin resistant when I started into this. But I can say that once I started with OMAD and fasting and diet changes I've really been very consistent about not eating any refined/processed foods or grains. Oh maybe a handful of very minor indulgences along the way, but nothing major. I don't count my carbs but I just avoid them. I prioritize veggies on all my meals for the bulk of it. My protein, fruit and fats I watch closely so as not to go overboard. I need them to feel satisfied but don't want to get excessive.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Super yummy and I have to wait 6 more hours till my OMAD meal, I will make it but it's not going to be easy :p
  • wsandy8512
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Oh I was massively insulin resistant when I started into this. But I can say that once I started with OMAD and fasting and diet changes I've really been very consistent about not eating any refined/processed foods or grains. Oh maybe a handful of very minor indulgences along the way, but nothing major. I don't count my carbs but I just avoid them. I prioritize veggies on all my meals for the bulk of it. My protein, fruit and fats I watch closely so as not to go overboard. I need them to feel satisfied but don't want to get excessive.

Do you think think maybe if I just cut down on my fruit intake, I may be okay? Do you eat potatoes and unprocessed/minimally processed whole grain foods at all? I don't eat whole grains too often, but @barbheart said it may be my fruit smoothies doing me in. I would hate to think of my smoothies as something bad for me, so I told her, "I hope not", lol. But, I digress, I may have to swallow the fact that's it's highly possible. :-(
  • jvcinv
    Options

Do you think think maybe if I just cut down on my fruit intake, I may be okay? Do you eat potatoes and unprocessed/minimally processed whole grain foods at all? I don't eat whole grains too often, but @barbheart said it may be my fruit smoothies doing me in. I would hate to think of my smoothies as something bad for me, so I told her, "I hope not", lol. But, I digress, I may have to swallow the fact that's it's highly possible. :-(
    Yes I agree on the fruit. It's so easy to get carried away because it tastes so good. And it's not that it's bad for you like refined sugar but for us trying to lose you do have to put a limit on it. I say have it but really watch your smoothies, depending on how big you make them they could be getting out of control. For me fruit is dessert so I eat it at the end of the meal and eat it very slowly.

In the last 11 months I've had zero potatoes and maybe 6 slices of whole grain bread in total.

• wsandy8512
    Options
    @jvcinv, thanks for your input. Since two people I greatly respect have agreed on too much fruit, I'll listen. :)
  • barbheart
    barbheart Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Wow Jim!!! You say you do boring meals but that´s what gets results sticking to the food you know is working for you... and it can get boring... I dont have a prob with boredom with food... I rather be healthy than fancyfully unhealthy!

The other side of things is that there are people naturally artistic with food who make healthy meals too... which may not be our case Jim no worries!

Sandy I wish you didnt have to cut stuff you like, but fruit is well known to bring sugars up and if its your particular case that maybe your insuline resistance comes from sugars not so much from carbs such as potatoes bread rice then cutting them for a while and seeing how your body responds could give you a measure to gauge things and make decisions... Maybe once a week you can indulge for now?...
  • jvcinv
    Options
    barbheart wrote: »
    Wow Jim!!! You say you do boring meals but that´s what gets results sticking to the food you know is working for you... and it can get boring... I dont have a prob with boredom with food... I rather be healthy than fancyfully unhealthy!

The other side of things is that there are people naturally artistic with food who make healthy meals too... which may not be our case Jim no worries!

Sandy I wish you didnt have to cut stuff you like, but fruit is well known to bring sugars up and if its your particular case that maybe your insuline resistance comes from sugars not so much from carbs such as potatoes bread rice then cutting them for a while and seeing how your body responds could give you a measure to gauge things and make decisions... Maybe once a week you can indulge for now?...
    Well boring I meant only in that I don't vary them much and they're rather basic meals. But the part that isn't boring is the taste and satisfaction. I love my meals and really look forward to them, even the preparation.
    And that is the strange part, I never was as much into food as I am now. Go figure.

• mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    Catching up on here slowly but surely and OMG Sandy... The meals! They look so good! I've somehow gotten out of the habit of taking pictures of my dinner, but I have been cooking so I got to get back on board with that! I will eventually get caught up my tears I promise LOL
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Decided that due to my tremendous gut size, I'm insulin resistant so I'm trying to lower carb intake by staying under 100g of carbs, so not nearly the same amount of fruit as I'd normally have. I made it under 100g, but yesterday is the only day I will count carbs. I don't want to count carbs anymore than calories, just wanted to have an idea. As long as I limit adding more fruits on banana days and keep portions of potatoes small, I should be good. I am not crazy about this, but my waist was 30" back in the Navy during physicals one year and I weighed 168 lbs, and had to lose weight and inches to stay in, which I did. I'm only about 8 pounds from 168 now and my waist is 37" and my hips are 43", there's no way in hell that I will lose 7 inches off of my waist in 8 pounds. Don't get me wrong, I've lost inches in my waist and hips, but they are seriously lagging behind (speaking of behinds, my butt is losing inches all the time!) other areas. This is why I believe I'm insulin resistant and need to lower carbs, but I don't want to do keto or super low carb. :-(

I'm not sure that I'd call your gut size "tremendous" - in fact, I'm positive I wouldn't! If I could find my stupid tape measure (I can't) I'd measure and let you know what mine is. You definitely have a defined waist now.

Why do you think you are insulin resistant? Are you not losing weight?

Something that struck me about the Delay Don't Deny stuff is that Gin mentions quite often that just staying on OMAD will eventually get to most/all of the "stubborn" pockets of fat.

I think as we get older we get more visceral fat and it's likely the last to go.

It's also probably quite unrealistic to expect your body, as you are losing weight, to be the same shape as it was back in the day (and probably even a few years ago). I do think that belly fat will go away, it just might be the last fat to go (of course, because mother nature is a b1tch!!).

Just out of curiosity (and you don't have to answer this if you don't want to) do you think your belly fat is visceral or subcutaneous?

I ask because I noticed the difference between my fat and my partner's fat over the weekend (after reading this awesome book called "Spring Chicken: Stay Young Forever (or Die Trying)").

He only has a gut, no extra fat anywhere else. There is a very slight layer of fat between his skin and his abs (subcutaneous), but his abs are actually pushed right out and the majority of the fat is underneath there (visceral)!

It was a fascinating discovery.

My fat is way "squishier" than his, it is all over my whole body, and if you just carved that thick layer off, I'd be thin. If you just carved his off without going underneath those abs, he'd look pretty much the same.

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options

You can't really spot reduce (unless you freeze it off). Keep going and see how the waist turns out. Loose skin can make it bigger also. Fruit is nutritious and a motivator for me.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    1st time i ever dieted, i lost by eating a big breakfast with lot of protein, about 5-pieces of fruit during the day, and then a small dinner. I lost eating that much fruit. It wasn't sustainable for me though and I would get very hungry, more so than fasting.

I do think low carb helps weight loss, but I think it comes at a price also (can't eat some yummy and nutritious stuff)
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    minigrrll wrote: »
    Decided that due to my tremendous gut size, I'm insulin resistant so I'm trying to lower carb intake by staying under 100g of carbs, so not nearly the same amount of fruit as I'd normally have. I made it under 100g, but yesterday is the only day I will count carbs. I don't want to count carbs anymore than calories, just wanted to have an idea. As long as I limit adding more fruits on banana days and keep portions of potatoes small, I should be good. I am not crazy about this, but my waist was 30" back in the Navy during physicals one year and I weighed 168 lbs, and had to lose weight and inches to stay in, which I did. I'm only about 8 pounds from 168 now and my waist is 37" and my hips are 43", there's no way in hell that I will lose 7 inches off of my waist in 8 pounds. Don't get me wrong, I've lost inches in my waist and hips, but they are seriously lagging behind (speaking of behinds, my butt is losing inches all the time!) other areas. This is why I believe I'm insulin resistant and need to lower carbs, but I don't want to do keto or super low carb. :-(

I'm not sure that I'd call your gut size "tremendous" - in fact, I'm positive I wouldn't! If I could find my stupid tape measure (I can't) I'd measure and let you know what mine is. You definitely have a defined waist now.

Why do you think you are insulin resistant? Are you not losing weight?

Something that struck me about the Delay Don't Deny stuff is that Gin mentions quite often that just staying on OMAD will eventually get to most/all of the "stubborn" pockets of fat.

I think as we get older we get more visceral fat and it's likely the last to go.

It's also probably quite unrealistic to expect your body, as you are losing weight, to be the same shape as it was back in the day (and probably even a few years ago). I do think that belly fat will go away, it just might be the last fat to go (of course, because mother nature is a b1tch!!).

Just out of curiosity (and you don't have to answer this if you don't want to) do you think your belly fat is visceral or subcutaneous?

I ask because I noticed the difference between my fat and my partner's fat over the weekend (after reading this awesome book called "Spring Chicken: Stay Young Forever (or Die Trying)").

He only has a gut, no extra fat anywhere else. There is a very slight layer of fat between his skin and his abs (subcutaneous), but his abs are actually pushed right out and the majority of the fat is underneath there (visceral)!

It was a fascinating discovery.

My fat is way "squishier" than his, it is all over my whole body, and if you just carved that thick layer off, I'd be thin. If you just carved his off without going underneath those abs, he'd look pretty much the same.

Sarah, agreed! My bf/fiance (God bless we've been together so long that I don't know what to call him) has the same thing.... he only seems to gain in his tummy whereas I gained all over the place, especially my face! Drives me nuts! Underneath of all of that he's solid muscle... Annoying but seems to be the truth LOL
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Sarah, agreed! My bf/fiance (God bless we've been together so long that I don't know what to call him) has the same thing.... he only seems to gain in his tummy whereas I gained all over the place, especially my face! Drives me nuts! Underneath of all of that he's solid muscle... Annoying but seems to be the truth LOL

Yeah, but that visceral fat is the bad bad fat, ours is the more benign kind. I just read a book (that reminds me, I've been meaning to start a book thread so that we can share what we are reading related to OMAD - I need more!!) called "The Secret Life of Fat" and it was so very interesting. The subcutaneous fat (more common in women) actually serves a purpose (conception, childbirth etc.) and can actually be protective. That visceral belly fat - nope - it's actively trying to kill us!

Once I realised that, I was like, dude, you have to lose that weight. I didn't care about his gut that much before, but now... Not that I will be able to make him lose it - he has to want to do it.

• wsandy8512
    Options
    @minigrrll, so funny because all morning I started thinking again after posting. Anyhoo, someone shared something in another group about a woman who lost a good amount of weight via IF. She was so happy because she ate everything she wanted--belly last to go. She even spoke about her loose skin tightening up over time. Then I did some searching and the same for other IFers, typically 40yo+, and it hit me that I just need to be patient. I have continuously been losing weight, just upset with my belly. I'm not going to do what I planned and cut nutritious fruits, or go low carb. I eat healthy more often than not and I love the freedom. I'm just going to be patient, it'll go when it goes, no need for extremes. Lol

I have no idea whether mine is subcutaneous or visceral, I can grab skin and pull that equates to pulling on the back of my hand, or eyelid, but I can also grab handfuls... don't have enough hands for my handfuls, in fact. Haha I can feel muscle through it if I press hard enough.

• wsandy8512
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »

You can't really spot reduce (unless you freeze it off). Keep going and see how the waist turns out. Loose skin can make it bigger also. Fruit is nutritious and a motivator for me.

Oh yes, I know we can't spot reduce. But it would be nice if we could! Lol

I'm not going low carb. I prefer a more balanced approach with whole and delicious foods, and allowing the not so healthy stuff from time to time because like one of my favorite quotes and I don't know where I heard it, "IF is a lifestyle, not a prison sentence" and I think it's the same for food choices. :)

As long as I listen to my body's hunger and satiety cues, coupled with IF, I'm good to go. :)